Status
Not open for further replies.

Mangal

Country flag
The Supreme Hero Of Galwan

By
Subir Bhaumik

on June 24, 2020

Only 23 years of age, playful, the usual fun-loving Sikh , his boyish looks concealing the steely soldier who will never shy away from an unequal fight.
Meet Gurtej Singh of 3rd Punjab’s ‘Ghatak Platoon’ who reinforced the beleaguered , outmaneuvered fighters of 16th Bihar regiment at Galwan valley on the evening of 15 June. But first take a ticket to heaven, where rests ‘chota phai Gurtej’ , blessed by the Almighty.
He is not here with his paltan anymore and will not return to his family for his favourite ‘sarson da saag’ and ‘makkai di roti’.
Honestly , it is very difficult for an emotional Bengali like me , also a military school product, to hold back tears as I write the amazing story of ‘chotaphai Gurtej’.
As the fierce 3rd ‘Ghataks’ and the Sikh gunners of Medium Arty regiment rushed into the fight with very little time to plan and prepare on that Monday evening in the picturesque but blooded Galwan Valley , they were only carrying their customary kirpan and an assortments of sticks, rods and sharp knives.
Fellow fighters recall Gurtej being attacked by four Chinese soldiers. The strong Sikh, shouting his ‘Bole So Nihal, Sat Sri Akal’ war cries in a thunderous roar, swung round two of them and as two others tried to pin him down, he dragged all four of them towards the cliff.
“All four Chinese were flung to death but Gurtej lost his balance and also slipped , but was stuck in a boulder , hence avoiding a free fall. Badly injured in the neck and head, Gurtej rewrapped his turban and in a inhuman effort pulled himself back into the fight,” said a military source quoting a fellow fighter.
Gurtej slashed some Chinese with his kirpan before he could snatch a sharp weapon from a Chinese soldier.
“Not only that one but seven other Chinese soldiers perished at the hands of Gurtej before one stabbed him from behind. Even as he went down , he slashed his killer with his kirpan,” said the military source.
At the end of the bloody fight, Gurtej lay dead but so were the 12 Chinese killed by them. As they say, ‘Ik Ik Akali Sikh sawa lakh de barabar” ( an Akali Sikh is as good as 1,25,000)
Gurtej’s body was dragged back by the surviving ‘Ghataks’. I have no access to his village to recount his cremation but knowing Sikhs so well from my childhood in Punjab, I am sure his proud parents will have tears in their eyes for him — but more tears of pride than tears of sorrow.
Gurtej Singh , the latest martyr or ‘Shaheed’ in an enormously crowded pantheon of Sikh heroes starting from Banda Bahadur , is a hero India is yet to know but will never forget once it did .
I remember my IAF instructor-father shedding tears for his dear ‘Sardar beta’ Flying Officer Nirmaljit Singh Sekhon in 1971.

Flying Officer

Nirmal Jit Singh Sekhon

, was posthumously awarded the
Param Vir Chakra

, India’s highest military decoration , in recognition of his lone defence of
Srinagar

Air Base against a
PAF

air raid during the
Indo-Pakistani War of 1971

. He is the only member of the Indian Air Force to be honoured with the PVC .

Has military confirmed this? No. With all due respect to the martyer I believe we should not be involved in dramatising the events.

Thundering13th

Country flag
Adding to my post, we are here to learn things about warfare and its tons of knowledge for someone like me so we should come out of Congress vs bjp "FOR A CHANGE" . We have 5 year time to vote any govt out. But given India's track record I feel we are waiting for chinese to fire the first bullet. Mariyada purshottam and all that. Jo bhi hai. I feel the army has a plan to inflict massive casualties on the enemy 3div+ on ground people dojt realise what that means 3div on ground around 30k on ground that we know of plus other independent formations. Col Shukla should realise that the situ on ground does not help his narrative. "GALWAN GHATI CHEEN KE KABSE ME" Opposition asks. Wo toh 62 ke baad se hi hai. 95% galwan valley is with chinks since 62. The masses need to take interest in finding out the truth instead of following blindly

cereal killer

Country flag
Has military confirmed this? No. With all due respect to the martyer I believe we should not be involved in dramatising the events.
It can be little exaggerated but the he must have killed many PLA guys. That's why his story is running around. Salute to the Braveheart & the important thing is he may inspire so many people with his sacrifice.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Chinese hate India due to constant negative propaganda sanctioned by CPC. Chinese media portrays a very negative picture of India and Hindu customs. Many Hindu customs are due to ignorance and backwardness of people which are already getting diluted as people get educated and logical.

China itself has very superstitious and illogical people. Though hard working. China progressed so much due to West's desire of cheap consumer goods.

There is nothing special about China. India can hold its own against China.

ashdoc

Country flag

Horrible reports of akash missile deployed in ladakh right now.

IndiaRising

Country flag
We are buying time to ensure we don't get into a suffocating yankee war alliance. Trick is to maintain the delicate us-russia-india equation even after any action on the china front.

A less evolved nation would have reacted already and fallen into US trap.

I can imagine how frustrated US must feel now ....
strategic autonomy means nothing if you don’t have the military firepower to back it up. Let’s get real.

Gandaberunda

Country flag

30% failure so 70% Ch*dega 🤣 khafi hai 😁

garg_bharat

Country flag

It is an Indian designed system. Means it can be fixed. Sometimes funds are a problem. That is why I said that we must not rush into a war but prepare first.

Sanglamorre

Country flag
We are buying time to ensure we don't get into a suffocating yankee war alliance. Trick is to maintain the delicate us-russia-india equation even after any action on the china front.

A less evolved nation would have reacted already and fallen into US trap.

I can imagine how frustrated US must feel now ....
What is this current strategic autonomy we have that enables China to nibble and get away with it, kill our soldiers and isn't heavily punished, Pakis bomb us but we don't blow their country to smithereens, and GoI forces soldiers to not fire bullets even when they are being killed?

Is that the strategic autonomy we are nurturing and afraid of losing?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

If I recall correctly, media reports mixed up two different issues mentioned in the CAG report. the issue with pneumatic tubes and such was for display pieces and the news report attributed it to actual missiles.

Thundering13th

Country flag
What is this current strategic autonomy we have that enables China to nibble and get away with it, kill our soldiers and isn't heavily punished, Pakis bomb us but we don't blow their country to smithereens, and GoI forces soldiers to not fire bullets even when they are being killed?

We initiated our I say "POW" was returned in 2 digit hours. After we violated their sovereignty. Their counter attack didn't cause damage. Later ISPR i guess said hum unko msg sena chahte the. What's the outcome? Ok we dont have complete superiority in the terms when enemy has lost its will to fight win on lose separate issue. I know we are not in an advantageous position when it comes to propaganda. INdians were not allowed to fire bullets I think even chinese didn't fire bullet. Given that we go by the rules barung few nudges here and there , when it comes to a strong adversary we should not expect we would do something out of the blue. Due to some unreasonable we tend to to showcase our soft power more than mil power. Well the policy makers know better But now we need to make up our mind first and gather local support. Infighting cant be denied completely jaichands ki kami nahi hai but time has come we need to go fidayeen mode for a while if we need to stand up to a bully

garg_bharat

Country flag

Boss countries the size of India cannot behave like crazy.

We may not like some people and we do get hurt many times but our responses are calibrated to the situation.

Destroying a country is childish talk. Nobody can destroy a country the way you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles