Innovation in firearms and ammunition

AshishSandhu

Hello readers, this thread, Innovation in firearms and ammunition, is created to discuss potential innovations which can be made in firearms and ammunition used by our Indian Army. You can post your innovative idea and discuss about it with each other.

I have one innovative idea. I have observed that military officers require reloading after the loaded magazine gets empty. It consumes anywhere from 4-6 s. This time can expose the personnel to threats from enemies. To resolve this, I have an idea. If all the rounds in the 7 magazines carried by the officer are loaded in one big box and some followers and springs are used, then using a flexible channel, the ammunition can be directly loaded to the firearm and then the firearm will be capable of firing till the ammunition in the box is exhausted. Now consider that 7 30 round magazines, 210 rounds will be stored that box. It will allow the shooter to fire without frequent reloading. Additionally, it will reduce the weight carried by the officer.

AshishSandhu

Does anyone know that in 1960s a cartridge was invented whose speed increased when throughout its trajectory! It was propelled by a rocket motor and had significantly less recoil than modern cartridges have.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Hello readers, this thread, Innovation in firearms and ammunition, is created to discuss potential innovations which can be made in firearms and ammunition used by our Indian Army. You can post your innovative idea and discuss about it with each other.

I have one innovative idea. I have observed that military officers require reloading after the loaded magazine gets empty. It consumes anywhere from 4-6 s. This time can expose the personnel to threats from enemies. To resolve this, I have an idea. If all the rounds in the 7 magazines carried by the officer are loaded in one big box and some followers and springs are used, then using a flexible channel, the ammunition can be directly loaded to the firearm and then the firearm will be capable of firing till the ammunition in the box is exhausted. Now consider that 7 30 round magazines, 210 rounds will be stored that box. It will allow the shooter to fire without frequent reloading. Additionally, it will reduce the weight carried by the officer.
that is literally belt fed guns :)

You are young IG, and excited too, and I can remember a time when I also thought up clever ideas without realising someone came up with that a long time ago.

Read up on other designs, and if you are interested in firearm design, I would highly recommend ForgottenWeapons channel on Youtube. It was my introduction to firearms mechanics and it helped me understand a lot of things.

Blood+

Country flag

Not to rain on your parade but ever heard of a drum mag??

Blood+

Country flag
Does anyone know that in 1960s a cartridge was invented whose speed increased when throughout its trajectory! It was propelled by a rocket motor and had significantly less recoil than modern cartridges have.
Yep and this concept was then picked up by the devs of Warhammer 40k franchise as the inspiration for their iconic Bolter.

Last edited:

AshishSandhu

But it will not be belt fed. The rounds will be loaded from the springs energy. Let me introduce its diagram:-

IMG-20240427-WA0000.jpg

There cartridges will be stored in this way. The followers will push the rounds. The support follower will send the rounds to the channel which will be connected to the breach of the gun.
Right side, the top view of the channel. The channel should be made from strong and flexible material. The support follower will be magnetised, which will be only enough strong to open the slots' doors to allow the slot's rounds to come. The magazine will be wore as backpack.

AshishSandhu

Not to rain on your parade but ever heard of a drum mag??
While if it can be simplified by a big drum magazine. But the channel still requires to be installed and the from magazine should be enough powerful to feed the gun through the channel.

Blood+

Country flag
While if it can be simplified by a big drum magazine. But the channel still requires to be installed and the from magazine should be enough powerful to feed the gun through the channel.
And it will come with the same drawbacks that plague the drum magazines that killed their widescale adoption. In the end, they will be too bulky and complex a contraption for what they are worth.

Last edited:

Blood+

Country flag
But it will not be belt fed. The rounds will be loaded from the springs energy. Let me introduce its diagram:-

View attachment 250342

There cartridges will be stored in this way. The followers will push the rounds. The support follower will send the rounds to the channel which will be connected to the breach of the gun.
Right side, the top view of the channel. The channel should be made from strong and flexible material. The support follower will be magnetised, which will be only enough strong to open the slots' doors to allow the slot's rounds to come. The magazine will be wore as backpack.
Yeah, good luck getting the brass to adopt so complex and finicky of a contraption. Plus it will significantly increase the overall weight of the rifles and for what, not to mention the added cost and all of that for what - just to save a couple of seconds of downtime in between your mags??

AshishSandhu

Yeah, good luck getting the brass to adopt so complex and finicky of a contraption. Plus it will significantly increase the overall weight of the rifles and for what, not to mention the added cost and all of that for what - just to save a couple of seconds of downtime in between your mags??
The magazine will not be fed like others. It will be wore by the shooter like a backpack.

Blood+

Country flag
The magazine will not be fed like others. It will be wore by the shooter like a backpack.
In that case, the link will severely restrict the range of motion of the rifleman!! So, you will only be replacing one huge issue with another huge issue.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

go big, think LMG and MMG. even here practicality in Indian conditions is low, but for the sake of innovation let's go with this.

at around 13 grams per cartridge, 210 rounds is already 2.7 kg + the box with structural integrity + partitions + springs. upwards of 3 kg hanging around on the back or hip. an officer has bigger things to worry about than lugging around this concentrated weight, especially in a scenario where he has to empty so many rounds.

1714200023975.png

1714200050362.png

1714200076835.png

AshishSandhu

In that case, the link will severely restrict the range of motion of the rifleman!! So, you will only be replacing one huge issue with another huge issue.
Its right. So, I will solve another than this one which I stated i.e. frequent reloading.

Blood+

Country flag
Its right. So, I will solve another than this one which I stated i.e. frequent reloading.
How 'bout solving the issue of recoil and muzzle rise?? Or think of the whole system, let's say an exoskeleton that will enable an infantryman to carry around and operate a crew served weapon all by himself??

AshishSandhu

I have an idea for reducing felt recoil of an assault rifle which incorporates bolt assembly in its operation. An air tight container will be fixed at the end of bolt assembly and its stopper will always be in the air container. The container will be filled with partially compressed air. See the diagram:-
Recoil manage.png

As on firing, the air in the container will fully compress but not allow the bolt assembly to strike the gun's surface and the compressed air will also want to regain its initial density which will push the bolt assembly, leading to faster firing rate. Remember that if the bolt assembly strikes the surface of the gun, then it causes felt recoil. But still a little amount of of recoil will be felt due to the dragging of the bolt assembly to the walls of the gun. But that amount will be significantly less than usual felt recoil. But I think that it needs improvement but where?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I have an idea for reducing felt recoil of an assault rifle which incorporates bolt assembly in its operation. An air tight container will be fixed at the end of bolt assembly and its stopper will always be in the air container. The container will be filled with partially compressed air. See the diagram:- View attachment 250362
As on firing, the air in the container will fully compress but not allow the bolt assembly to strike the gun's surface and the compressed air will also want to regain its initial density which will push the bolt assembly, leading to faster firing rate. Remember that if the bolt assembly strikes the surface of the gun, then it causes felt recoil. But still a little amount of of recoil will be felt due to the dragging of the bolt assembly to the walls of the gun. But that amount will be significantly less than usual felt recoil. But I think that it needs improvement but where?
or just put a dampener spring in the buttstock, instead of having to mass produce precision instrument that has to take into account low tolerance sealing mechanism to trap the air.

AshishSandhu

or just put a dampener spring in the buttstock, instead of having to mass produce precision instrument that has to take into account low tolerance sealing mechanism to trap the air.
Yes, it is better, it will have much less weight.

Blood+

Country flag
Or instead of air, use a piston or a spring.

Global Defence

Articles