Kaveri Engine

Spitfire9

Country flag
How long for dry thrust engine to be finalised for high altitude and flying testbed testing? I wonder if testing Kaveri engine on the Russian airframe used before would involve much work in bolting it on again.

rodeo

Country flag
Others will know better than me but RR and SAFRAN are the likely candidates to help India bring a 110kN engine into existence in time for it to be used to power AMCA Mk2 (with internal weapons bay) which should follow AMCA Mk1 using GE F414 engines.
Is there a timeline for the engine program?

Spitfire9

Country flag
Some months ago I read that talks with RR are taking place and are scheduled to finish by the end of 2021. No doubt talks are also going on with SAFRAN. My guess is that the nature of RR's offer will be known by the end of this year. I guess what SAFRAN is offering will also be known soon. How soon is soon? I don't know.

I think that the engine needs to be ready around 2030. I hope that it can also be used for Tejas Mk2 mid-life updates or for Mk2 production in the 2030's.

no smoking

Country flag
How long for dry thrust engine to be finalised for high altitude and flying testbed testing? I wonder if testing Kaveri engine on the Russian airframe used before would involve much work in bolting it on again.
If my memory is correct, it could take 3-6 years if everything goes smoothly. It also depend on the capacity of the testing facility and experience of the team.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
How reliable is this guy?

wait isn't DTTI working group on Jet engines dead ??
I think Jha reported that DTTI on engines was indeed dead. But now that we have some idea that Kaveri might be out of the woods, Americans may now be trying to offer us the same tech they once denied.
Americans always do that. When we are not close enough to achieving a technology in-house, they deny us ToT, but the moment we get close enough they start making offers.

does India have a project or a roadmap for AMCA's engines?
Nothing public, other than the fact that they want to get it ready in time for AMCA Mk2 induction in 2035.

Have we solved combustion and screetch issue besides creep in non-dry variant of kaveri?
Yep, at least theoretically they have solved it. Will be testing it right now. Maybe we get some good news by next year in DefExpo.

Vamsi

Country flag
Yep, at least theoretically they have solved it. Will be testing it right now. Maybe we get some good news by next year in DefExpo.
Not theoretically mate, they proved it experimentally, ofcourse they have to prove it by using the same new flame holders in the AB though. We have to wait for few more years to know

Vamsi

Country flag
I think Jha reported that DTTI on engines was indeed dead. But now that we have some idea that Kaveri might be out of the woods, Americans may now be trying to offer us the same tech they once denied.
Americans always do that. When we are not close enough to achieving a technology in-house, they deny us ToT, but the moment we get close enough they start making offers.
If what you said is true, then it may be the indication that Kaveri is close to achieve its full potential. The days for Kaveri are bright again after a looongggg time

Spitfire9

Country flag
News on RR development techniques and aims for Tempest..

Conrad Banks, chief engineer for future programs at Rolls-Royce, described the “Integrated Power System” that his company was developing for Tempest, which would combine the gas turbines with aircraft electrical systems. The IPS would serve as a “flying power station” that would provide 10 times more power to sensors and systems compared with the Typhoon, and also enable the use of directed energy. The design would provide for the ingestion of over 100 kg of air per second; combustion chambers operating at 2,000 deg C; and feature vapor cycles, distortion-tolerant fans, and advanced heat exchangers. Rolls-Royce used simulation tools to predict thermal flows and hotspots. AI would help calculate, for instance, how much power goes to charging batteries versus providing a power surge margin. Although the project would still require hardware testing, there would be no need to build eight full-scale development engines as in the case of the Typhoon. “We’re targeting a 50 percent reduction in development time,” Banks added.
It would be interesting to hear what SAFRAN is up to with FCAS engine development.

Source:

Karthi

Country flag
Posting Pictuers from few resarches with limited description, i hate typing .

//////////////////

CFD Study of transonic axial flow compressor

Schematic axial flow compressor setup  NAL.jpg

Schematic axial flow compressor setup (NAL)

Rotor and stator geometrynal.jpg

Rotor and stator geometry for this study ( NAL)

Casing treatment configuration. .jpg

Casing treatment configuration .

////////////////////////////////////////////

Research on Aeroelastic Instability ( Flutter) Evaluation of Transonic Compressor

Two-blade mesh domain for flutter analysis.jpg

Two-blade mesh domain for flutter analysis

Finite element model of first-stage rotor blade.jpg

Finite element model of first-stage rotor blade

Blade reponse pattern at different nodal diameter.jpg

Blade reponse pattern at different nodal diameter

Two-blade CFD case setup for flutter analysis with and without IGV.jpg

Two-blade CFD case setup for flutter analysis with and without Inlet Guide Vane

Two-blade CFD case setup for flutter analysis-.jpg

Two-blade CFD case setup for flutter analysis

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Measurements of Droplet Velocity Fields in Sprays from Liquid Jets Injected in High-Speed Crossflows Using PIV.

The behavior of liquid jets in subsonic crossflows is of significant interest in propulsion systems which include gas turbine combustors, aircraft afterburners and liquid fuelled ramjets.

Experimental setup.jpg

Experimental setup

Karthi

Country flag
Unsteady Flow Analysis of a Highly Loaded High-Pressure Turbine of a Gas Turbine Engine

HP turbine computational grid.jpg

HP turbine computational grid

////////////////////////////////////////////////

Numerical Investigation of Three-Dimensional Separation in Twisted Turbine Blade: The Influence of Endwall Boundary Layer State.

Three-dimensional computational domain along with the geometrical parameters governing the flo...jpg

Three-dimensional computational domain along with the geometrical parameters governing the flow physics

Time-averaged iso-surface of Q-criteria (Structure associated with twisted blade).jpg

Time-averaged iso-surface of Q-criteria (Structure associated with twisted blade)

Variation of instantaneous spanwise vorticity for both suction and pressure surface of twisted...jpg

Variation of instantaneous spanwise vorticity for both suction and pressure surface of twisted blade.

//////////////////////

Design and Analysis of Axial Turbine Using Three Different Vortex Laws

a Computational domain b y+ contour.jpg

a) Computational domain b) y+ contour

Vortex structures in rotor.jpg

Vortex structures in rotor

///////////////////////////////////////////

Karthi

Country flag
Experimental Studies on the Thermoacoustics of Afterburner Screech Combustion Instabilities in a Model Afterburner Test Rig.

a Schematic and photograph of the test facility. b Afterburner test facility instrumentation.jpg

Afterburner test facility for generating screech with a frequency 2000 Hz.jpg

a Schematic of the test setup—Rayleigh heat addition through combustion and its subsequent.jpg

Typical screech characteristics frequency—1250 Hz, b Typical screech characteristics.jpg

Typical screech characteristics frequency—1250 Hz, b Typical screech characteristics frequency—2000 Hz

Lock-on phenomena of screech frequencies.jpg

Lock-on phenomena of screech frequencies

Schematic showing the arrangement to simulate the unvitiated bias and bypass flow with.jpg

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Triggering of Flow Instabilities by Simulated Sub/Supercritical Rayleigh Heat Addition in an Aero-Gas Turbine Afterburner

a Schematic of the test setup for simulated Rayleigh heat addition through equivalent mass.jpg

Schlieren images of the sequential expansion outside the upstream choked nozzle due to.jpg

Schlieren images of the sequential un-choking of the upstream choked nozzle due to the.jpg

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles