Kaveri Engine

rodeo

Country flag
RR seem to be confident that they can address some big challenges (2,000C core temp + massive electrical power generation).
How can they achieve such temperatures without melting the turbine? Are they using a secret alloy, or is it an ultra advanced coating or the cooling? F135 has over 1900C temp. Do other engine manufacturers such as GE has that technology? I'd be glad if someone point me to an article explaining the technology behind these ridiculously high temp engines.

Ajax01

Country flag
How can they achieve such temperatures without melting the turbine? Are they using a secret alloy, or is it an ultra advanced coating or the cooling? F135 has over 1900C temp. Do other engine manufacturers such as GE has that technology? I'd be glad if someone point me to an article explaining the technology behind these ridiculously high temp engines.
UTHCMC can possibly do it. Coating is probably still a challenge.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
You should look at the flame burning of HTFE 25 during it's test run. It's hilarious. My cooking chula burns way smoother than this 🤣
They are throttling the fuel supply, but its supposed to be non-afterburning. And that doesn't look like afterburner exhaust either, not with that kind of instability. Doesn't seem like a flameout or a compressor stall either. The heck is happening here?

EDIT: Its technically called a tailpipe fire, due to excess fuel in the chamber. Usually harmless to the engine and only occurs on the ground run during starting or shut down of engine. But why are they not rectifying it first and then posting a test video of it is something I don't get.

Last edited:

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
You should look at the flame burning of HTFE 25 during it's test run. It's hilarious. My cooking chula burns way smoother than this 🤣
They are throttling the fuel supply, but its supposed to be non-afterburning. And that doesn't look like afterburner exhaust either, not with that kind of instability. Doesn't seem like a flameout or a compressor stall either. The heck is happening here?

EDIT: Its technically called a tailpipe fire, due to excess fuel in the chamber. Usually harmless to the engine and only occurs on the ground run during starting or shut down of engine. But why are they not rectifying it first and then posting a test video of it is something I don't get.

This:-

MonaLazy

CATS is not a DRDO project.

We have designed, developed and manufactured a small turbo fan engine for unmanned aerial vehicle applications with the support of Indian Industry. The engine has completed design validation tests on ground and presently undergoing experimental flight trials.

On successful completion of flight trials, derivatives of these engines will be manufactured for a variety of unmanned aerial vehicle applications, making the country ‘Atmanirbhar’ in this complex and critical technology.

Military gas turbine engines form an integral part of aircraft system. India being an aspiring nation took a bold stride in developing an indigenous military gas turbine very early with challenging requirements through the ambitious Kaveri engine development for LCA Tejas. Kaveri Engine, a 4th generation military engine, is the first indigenous aero gas turbine engine designed and built in the country. Through this indigenous DRDO project on military gas turbines, sufficient Technology Readiness Level (TRL) in the field of aero engines for fighter aircraft has been attained in the country.

This capability is aiding the nation in producing crucial propulsion systems for unmanned aerial vehicles & weapon platforms along with long range weapon delivery systems, like cruise missile systems. As you are aware, these engines are denied by global OEM’s for strategic applications.

Knowledge, skill set, experience and expertise gained through this engine development programme is invaluable for the country and future engine programmes. Almost, a non-existent ecosystem has been built in the country through the Kaveri project for 4th generation class of engine technology. With the technologies developed through the Kaveri project, today India is in a position to indigenously develop a power plant for the strategic application of Unmanned Combat Air Vehicle (UCAV).

More than 3200 hours of engine testing has been completed which includes Simulated Altitude Test and Flying Test Bed (FTB) trials. Twelve types of Materials (Titanium, Steel and Super alloys) have been indigenously developed and type certified for aerospace standard.

These alloys have been used in many aerospace and other programmes in the country. Majority of the Titanium forgings have been developed indigenously and certified for gas turbine applications. Directionally Solidified (DS) investment casting technology has been developed successfully for high temperature turbine blade.

DRDO’s Gas Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE) has developed a 12 MW Kaveri Marine Gas Turbine (KMGT) engine as derivative of Kaveri Aero Engine. KMGT demonstrated it’s performance in Test bed at Naval Dockyard, Vizag.

Next generation engine requirement from Indian Navy will be Gas Turbine with more power output, depending on the identified naval platform.

DRDO is developing AIP for P75 submarines, which are already with the Navy. The first AIP is expected to be installed in next submarine when it comes for refit.

Subsequently, every two years thereafter, AIP will be installed in other submarines during their planned refits.

SavageKing456

Country flag
Given that British foreign policy is usually aligned with American FP, the recent CAATSA fiasco, gift of MRAPs and small arms and NVDs to Pak, I'd be a little uncomfortable with RR.
Incase of CAATSA brits would be forced to stop any development and we would get into deep trouble,better is French option

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Incase of CAATSA brits would be forced to stop any development and we would get into deep trouble,better is French option
But French option is license production like Al-31. They already have a core ready. Doesn't seem like they are sharing IPR or the entire process with us. They will simply do to us what the Russians did to us with FGFA.

RR seems to be promising more, but are also less reliable than the French. Less reliable not only because of CAATSA or sanctions, but also because they might promise more to get the contract initially and then FGFA us like the Russians. Not to mention the potential for delays in more in the RR option because its core is not developed yet.

I don't see any good options. Best option would be to go with the French for now to ensure a powerful engine can begin manufacture in India within the timeframe, but to continue to spend an equal amount on home-grown engine technology as well. Because going with the French option seems like we'll be FGFA'd: they'll do all the R&D and we'll just get an engine in return, no experience in engine design and development. That'll bite us in the @$$ when we start building our own adaptive cycle engine for our 6th Gen, unless GTRE is given continuous funding to keep developing our engine technology further independent of the Joint-Venture.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles