Civil war in Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmaitra

Some of the readers might recall the phoney war and fake victories by the neo-Nazi Azov Battalion. Those that don't please refer to the post quoted below:

Something more has happened in the same approximate area. Note in the picture above: the Ukrainian spelling "Pavlopilska," which would normally be "Pavlopolskaya," meaning "of Pavlopol." I think the blue board says Village Council of Pavlopol, but I am not sure (@Cadian, please correct me here). Whatever it is, the Azov Battalion did claim to have taken control of Pavlopol. Well, the picture at the bottom shows Pavlopol in control of the NovoRossiyan militia.

A brief but important update

The continuing clashes in the area of Mariupol served the goal of liberating the neutral strip that was captured by the junta during its Turchinov's "PR-offensive". Right after the NAF intercepted the highway near Logvinovo, the "Azov" punitive battalion organized an "offensive" towards Novoazovsk, which eventually led to a number of purposeless firefights in the area of Shirokino.

Because the media coverup of the Debalcevo catastrophe with this "offensive" didn't work out, then it very quickly disappeared from the news updates. From the military point of view the junta offensive choked immediately after the neutral strip was passed and the junta encountered the defensive line of the NAF. Several days ago the process of methodically squeezing the junta out of the settlements that it captured before has started, which liberated Pishevik and Pavlopol (from where the "Azov" battalion promoted itself during the first day of the junta "offensive").

Last edited by a moderator:

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
Conflict clouds Ukraine's debt distress

When Ukraine's president pleaded for help at last month's World Economic Forum he worried aloud that the international community might be suffering from "Ukrainian fatigue".

He may be right. Of two countries in Europe in the grip of debt distress, Greece is in the spotlight, yet Ukraine could be headed for one of the largest debt restructurings in history.

It has been almost a year since Russia annexed Ukraine's Crimea Peninsula, sparking a cycle of violence and ceasefires between Kiev and Russian-backed separatists while the country slides towards bankruptcy.

In February, the International Monetary Fund appeared to ride to the rescue, announcing a four-year credit programme worth $40bn.

Precisely how the Washington-based fund arrived at that figure is proving controversial. The IMF will provide $17.5bn, with close to $10bn expected to come from the US, EU and international organisations. That leaves a large chunk poised to come at the expense of private creditors.

In an interview with the Financial Times, Natalia Jaresko, Ukraine's finance minister, said the country planned to begin talks with foreign investors in March, targeting up to $15bn.

"I'm comfortable and quite confident that our creditors will work with us to find the best possible solution that is in everyone's interest," she said.

It is unclear whether this is the sum of debt intended to be pushed back with longer repayment dates, or the haircut planned on the debt. Ukrainian bonds trade far below face value but if a severe haircut is put in place the scale of loss could still come as a surprise.

Analysis by the Institute of International Finance (IIF) found that by the end of last year Ukraine had about $17.25bn in outstanding bonds, plus $1.25bn in loans and $3.3bn in commercial loans guaranteed by the state, making a pool of about $20bn.

Targeting $15bn out of $20bn is a tall order but the odd set-up of Ukraine's debt is expected to make negotiations even more difficult.

One investor, US asset manager Franklin Templeton, holds close to half of the bonds on the market, giving it the power to block a restructuring deal under majority voting procedures in the terms of bonds it holds sizeable positions in.

A further $1bn was issued under a guarantee from the US and is unlikely to be part of a restructuring deal according to the IIF, while $3bn is held by Russia, the country Ukraine accuses of supporting insurgency in the east.

That bond was the first part of a larger rescue loan agreed between Russian President Vladimir Putin and former pro-Russian Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovich, a deal stopped when Mr Yanukovich fled the country.

Russia's bond, which is due to be repaid in December, also contains an odd clause allowing Moscow to demand early repayment if Ukraine's debt exceeds 60 per cent of its GDP — a barrier already breached. So far Russia has not demanded early payment but it may also be unwilling to negotiate alternative terms.

Asked at a recent conference whether Russia would be part of the debt-restructuring process, Ms Jaresko said the government looked forward to meeting with all its creditors and would approach and treat them on an equal basis. But, she added, there had been "no official communication" with Russia.

On the plus side, Ukraine's upcoming debt payments in the next few months are not expected to push the country over the edge of its $6bn international reserves and on Monday the Ministry of Finance reported it had paid out nearly $60m on bonds issued in 2011.

But markets are sending out clear signals of distress.

Ukraine's hryvnia, already the world's worst-performing currency, fell to a new low of 33.5 per US dollar on Tuesday as the ceasefire wavered. The central bank has announced plans to try to defend the currency, banning loans to clients buying foreign currency and increasing controls on import operations.

Prices for Ukraine's bonds also dropped to an all-time low, with the price of a $2.6bn bond due in 2017 down to 41.8 cents on the dollar.

Ongoing fighting and its impact on the country's economy could mean this is the wrong time to calculate the right haircut, says Gabriel Sterne of Oxford Economics.

If the country extends the maturity of its debt until peace is restored it will be in a better position to see what sort of losses bondholders should be asked to take.

Ukraine is indicating that it plans to complete talks in June, a fast turnround given the complications.

But without a ceasefire and ensuing economic stability, debt sustainability is difficult to calculate, says Timothy Ash, head of emerging market research at Standard Bank.

"The IMF needs to know the framework of the economy to work out how sustainable the country's debt is," he says. "It can't plug a hole that keeps changing size."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ed87c2ac-a6f7-11e4-9c4d-00144feab7de.html#axzz3SjT2lION

Last edited:

pmaitra

I feel sorry for the chocolate seller.

At least, his family members are safe, who have reportedly fled Ukraine.

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
Akim did you receive the draft i have heard many are receiving drafts for military service if so good luck post some pictures from front line:thumb: if you want to run PM me ill invite you to India and take care of you till the dust settles we all can have a meet in banglore or Hyderabad:p oh by the way lot of Ukrainians in India now a days

Last edited:

pmaitra

Akim did you receive the draft i have heard many are receiving drafts for military service if so good luck post some pictures from front line:thumb: if you want to run PM me ill invite you to India and take care of you till the dust settles we all can have a meet in banglore or Hyderabad:p oh by the way lot of Ukrainians in India now a days
Is it? So they are escaping from the Civil War? Hmmm. Interesting. Well, they came from Ukraine, but when they return to their homes, they will be returning to the Russian Federation. :D

alphacentury

Country flag
Putin interviewed by VGTRK: "Extreme measures" if Kiev violates Minsk agreements? -- Puppet Masters -- Sott.net

Putin interviewed by VGTRK: "Extreme measures" if Kiev violates Minsk agreements?

Vladimir Putin answered questions from the National State Television and Radio Company (VGTRK) journalist Vladimir Solovyov.

VLADIMIR SOLOVYOV: Mr President, our nation just celebrated Defender of the Fatherland Day, but our brotherly nation of Ukraine now considers this the day that Crimea was conquered, and Petro Poroshenko states that he will do everything possible to get Crimea back.

What is the current state of Russian-Ukrainian relations? Will we wake up one day to learn we are at war?

PRESIDENT OF RUSSIA VLADIMIR PUTIN: I think that this apocalyptic scenario is highly unlikely, and I hope it never comes to that.

As for returning any territories, that is revanchist talk and it's not about returning territories anywhere. In my opinion - and I do not want to give any advice, but still - the current leadership of a large European nation such as Ukraine should first return the country to normal life: fix the economy, the social sector, its relations with the southeast region of the country in a civilised manner, and ensure the lawful rights and interests of the people living in Donbass. If the Minsk agreements are implemented, I am certain that this will be done. As for Crimea, you should remember that a year ago, when I spoke to the Federal Assembly deputies about this, I said that Crimea has always been and remains Russian, as well as Ukrainian, Crimean-Tatar, Greek (after all, there are Greeks living there) and German - and it will be home to all of those peoples. As for state affiliation, the people living in Crimea made their choice; it should be treated with respect, and Russia cannot do otherwise. I hope that our neighbouring and distant partners will ultimately treat this the same way, since in this case, the highest criteria used to establish the truth can only be the opinion of the people themselves.
VLADIMIR SOLOVYOV: We say that a civil war is underway. Ukraine says, "No, this is a direct intervention by Russia." Why doesn't the world see the truth?

VLADIMIR PUTIN: It doesn't want to.

First of all, the world is complex and diverse; some people see it, while others don't want to see it and do not notice it. World media monopoly of our opponents allows them to behave as they do.
The video is in Russian.

Last edited by a moderator:

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
Is it? So they are escaping from the Civil War? Hmmm. Interesting. Well, they came from Ukraine, but when they return to their homes, they will be returning to the Russian Federation. :D

they blame Putin for this, A little anti Russian but gives a rough idea about Ukrainian settlers in Goa Manali Mumbai now a days i can see some in Hyderabad filmnagar they are working as background artists in movies article just 8 months old

What Putin did to 2,000 Ukrainian girls in Mumbai

While recent events in the Ukrainian towns of Crimea and Donetsk, over 7,000km from Mumbai, may hardly be a blip on the radar for Indians in poll mode, that's not exactly the case with the over 2,000 Ukrainian girls in the city who are associated with the glam industry.

Interestingly, in many cases, the matrons who chaperone girls and talk business with Indian film units and event companies are Russians, and they have always worked together despite the problems back home.

Not far from their 1,200sqft Goregaon (East) flat, five Ukrainian roomies who have barely woken up near noon, have come to the neighbourhood's largest mall for hair and beauty fixes. The remote is asked for but unlike their perennial favourites, FTV or MTV, they seem to be interested in news and keep switching between CNN and Russia Today to monitor the situation back home. Though Tatyana Klimova is from Zaporizhzhya, she has family in Crimea and an obvious Russian leaning. "How can people's choice to self-determine be called annexation by the Western media?" she says, trying to change the channel when Kievan room-mate Tetiana Stepanova, 27, angrily snatches it away. "Russians will destroy our already impoverished country. They are not concerned with Ukraine. Its all about interfering and making a point with NATO to keep themselves relevant."

A crowd of gawkers has begun gathering outside the glass facade of the high-end boutique. Klimova gestures to them and bursts out laughing. The staff smile indulgently but a plump Russian matron, getting a pedicure done, is not amused. Inna Gorshunova is Klimova and her friends' chaperone. "Why can't you go anywhere without drawing attention," she asks later in the corridor outside. "These young girls don't understand it's best to not attract too much attention."

The 49-year-old first came to India with her boyfriend in the late '90s from Ingushetia, one of Russia's poorest regions. She lived with him for a few years in Manali and Goa, where he tried to set up his own shack. "From waiting on tables to managing the bar, there was little I didn't do," she recalls. "While I slogged he took to drugs, and spent all the money on them. Life became so terrible that I sometimes longed for the routine of having the same potato-onion soup for breakfast, lunch and dinner back home in Ingushetia."

Gorshunova began walking the streets and came to Mumbai through a client, who supplies extras to film units. Here, she saw how much trouble his men faced to sign foreigners as background dancers. "I learnt the ropes with him and started working on my own."

She began networking with modelling agencies in Kiev and Odessa and found many young girls willing to try their luck in Mumbai. Among them, Anna Vaslavsky, a political science graduate from Volyn university. "You know we are in in such a terrible state that joining the EU would have been good. I don't see the point of having no jobs or food in a cold country like ours and not wanting to do anything about it."
Gorshunova shushes her, predicting that nothing good will come of the current friction. "Politicians escalating the issue will all be safe in Western Europe, America and Russia, and innocents will die."

Out of the salon, politics fades for a moment as the girls stop to admire a heavy-worked ghaghra-choli-clad mannequin in a neighbouring outlet's display. "This looks lovely, will they give us outfits like these at the wedding," asks Klimova. They have an offer to mingle with baraatis at a wedding on Sunday, and the youngster sounds excited till Vaslavsky laughs, "Pray they have a good AC, otherwise these outfits can get very hot."

What Putin did to 2,000 Ukrainian girls in Mumbai | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

jouni

Cameron: UK will send military advisors to Ukraine.

Britain to send military advisers to Ukraine, announces Cameron | UK news | The Guardian

Accidentially today is also 100 years since Finnish underground independent movement send 2000 young me to get military training in Germany. These men made the backbone of Finnish army in the fight for independence against Finnish Reds and later Red Army.

Jääkärit muodostivat nuoren Suomen armeijan ytimen | Kotimaa | Uutiset | Pohjalainen

I hope that UK and US educated men will form the backbone of new Ukrainian army and steer the nation to peace and then to the path of development.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Military Advisor is an euphemism for actual control of battle.

Remember military advisers in the Vietnam War.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
I hope that UK and US educated men will form the backbone of new Ukrainian army
I think this is baloney. Soviet Military Articles of association (Field Manuals) one of the best. The problem is that it does not comply. Here military medicine, NATO is much better.

jouni

I think this is baloney. Soviet Military Articles of association (Field Manuals) one of the best. The problem is that it does not comply. Here military medicine, NATO is much better.
In Finnish forums there are Ukrainians who write that Ukraine military is in the hands of pro-russians and that is why there are problems in the leadership. Do you share this view?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
That maybe so, but if Ukraine is to merge with EU/ NATO, they will have to get used to NATO doctrines.

Ideal to start it now.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

sgarg

Cameron: UK will send military advisors to Ukraine.

I hope that UK and US educated men will form the backbone of new Ukrainian army and steer the nation to peace and then to the path of development.
If you said US and UK send 2000 robots to Ukraine, I would have readily agreed with you. Real humans - no possibility.
The corrupt are too scared when faced with real opposition.

sgarg

Why is American Army personnel taking part in Estonian Independence Day Parade?

Is Estonia a surrogate. colony of the US?

Which country has foreign forces in their own Independence Day military shows?

In Finland, do you also have American military in your parades?
Somehow not impressed with these vehicles. These are no better than Ukie BTR.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
In Finnish forums there are Ukrainians who write that Ukraine military is in the hands of pro-russians and that is why there are problems in the leadership. Do you share this view?
There are also such. There were a lot. it is now less. Not just rebuilt, when we were essentially one people. In Russia the psychological processing society had undergone more than 10 years (Ukraine robs us of natural gas, Ukraine will join NATO, We feed the hungry, Ukraine and so on). We do at the national level is almost not there.

sgarg

There are also such. There were a lot. it is now less. Not just rebuilt, when we were essentially one people. In Russia the psychological processing society had undergone more than 10 years (Ukraine robs us of natural gas, Ukraine will join NATO, We feed the hungry, Ukraine and so on). We do at the national level is almost not there.
Oh really! As if your Nazi battalions are winning wars! These are nothing but excuses.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
That maybe so, but if Ukraine is to merge with EU/ NATO, they will have to get used to NATO doctrines.

Ideal to start it now.
Gladko bulo na bumage, da zabuli pro ovragi (Despite careful planning, things often go wrong in their final accomplishment )

jouni

Why is American Army personnel taking part in Estonian Independence Day Parade?

Is Estonia a surrogate. colony of the US?

Which country has foreign forces in their own Independence Day military shows?

In Finland, do you also have American military in your parades?
No, but you must understand that Estonian own army consists of 8 APC´s there would be not much to parade without the yanks. Even if we were in NATO, I would not be happy with foreign troops in our parade. I understand your point, we have never been occupied, Estonia have been and there is a big difference in our mental approach to our defense. I am happy that Yanks show support to Estonia, they deserve it. We have plenty of hardware in our parades of our own ( although German made )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles