P-18/Next Generation Destroyer class (NGD)

Vamsi

Country flag
5 are planned, at an estimated Project cost of 60,000cr. Will probably just get AoN this year similar to NGC but a few years behind NGC in terms of contract signing and construction.
I have shared the source in the IAC-1 thread, sharing again -
~12:05 - NGD, 5 in number, pegged at around 60,000cr

And it's not called P-18, the project designations for NGD/NGF/NGC have not been finalised yet, it may turn out to be "Project-18" but there's no such designation right now.
It's better if we just call it 'NGD' for now.
You earlier said that P-17A frigates are the last to use MF-STAR,right? Then I'm expecting indigenous radar onboard P-17B frigates armed with VL-SRSAM in addition to Brahmos & Barak-8

Adm Kenobi

Country flag
You earlier said that P-17A frigates are the last to use MF-STAR,right? Then I'm expecting indigenous radar onboard P-17B frigates armed with VL-SRSAM in addition to Brahmos & Barak-8
Yes. - in this post
P-17B (if it happens) will not get Israeli MF-STAR, there will be no further deals to import MF-STAR for Naval ships after Dec 2022. P-17B (if it happens) will likely sport a variant of LR-MFR.

Edit- pic View attachment 165989
Naval MR-SAM import are to be stopped by Dec 2022 too (delivery will continue for contracts signed before Dec 2022), two possible scenarios can be drawn from this-
1. New IN ships won't get Barak-8, it will be VL-SRSAM for small vessels like Kamorta & NGMV & a mix of VL-SRSAM & indigenous long range SAM (not Barak-8 or Barak-8 ER) for vessels like frigates and above => UVLS
2. OR it just means that naval MR-SAM (Barak-8) will be produced by BDL like in case of IAF. Currently navy imports them from Israel.

Both are possible and it's too early to reach any conclusion on the MR-SAM part, MF-STAR one is clear, no new deal after Dec 2022.

binayak95

Country flag
Yes. - in this post

Naval MR-SAM import are to be stopped by Dec 2022 too (delivery will continue for contracts signed before Dec 2022), two possible scenarios can be drawn from this-
1. New IN ships won't get Barak-8, it will be VL-SRSAM for small vessels like Kamorta & NGMV & a mix of VL-SRSAM & indigenous long range SAM (not Barak-8 or Barak-8 ER) for vessels like frigates and above => UVLS
2. OR it just means that naval MR-SAM (Barak-8) will be produced by BDL like in case of IAF. Currently navy imports them from Israel.

Both are possible and it's too early to reach any conclusion on the MR-SAM part, MF-STAR one is clear, no new deal after Dec 2022.
Its the latter as far as the Barak 8 is considered. I think its going to be the XR variant, and that will slowly make its way down the fleet. As MLU. Some interesting discussions going for what the IN wants to do with the second batch of Talwars when they go for MLU too.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Possibly first pic of official render of NGD/P-18 class (courtesy @Vamsi ):-

Too grainy to draw any conclusions but for some reason it looks huge to me. Its loooong.
At least 10,000 - 12,000 tons at the very least.

I can see the LR MFR sensor radar's silhouette.

with 128 VLS (UVLS (?)) as a distinct possibility.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
So the LR MFR would be mounted on a mast- albeit a shorter ones than the ones on P15A/B/P17A- instead of the superstructure.
Looks like it. Which is impressive considering its a 6 meter radar. Americans aren't placing their 6 meter AMDR on a mast even in their future DDG(X) design.
Actually, now that I think about it, maybe the radar on the mast is the X-band one. Makes sense since S-band LRMFR is not as good as an X-band at tracking and FCR of horizon targets because X-band has better performance against sea clutter.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles