K-4 Missile

warrior monk

i get a feeling that K-4 can be and will be modified into our own desi anti ship ballistic missile keeping chinese and american aircraft carriers in mind. it will be a very potent system and could give us absolute sea denial capability in the indian ocean.
I think its a good idea converting a few missiles with MarV capability but it has to be Land based system as opening the missile hatch of our SSBN and launching a SLBM with ASBM role will increase our acoustic signature is not good.

We also need to solve our capability of target tracking and terminal guidance of our maneuvering vehicle .

We would need SAR capable satellites and other space borne optical sensors like chinese have Yaogan satellites in LEO orbit which has SAR observations, electro optical observations and naval oceanic surveillance for optical surveillance to track warships by acquiring their optical signatures and radio transmissions for target identification with huge scanning modes for finding the AC in the vast ocean and guidance.

Chinese have created a prediction model of a carrier’s movement, in which the warhead is directed toward the carrier’s projected, rather than its current, position. This constantly is updated and recalculated as new information about the current position of the carrier is received . We will also need to create mathematical models for something like that .

Chinese claim a less than 12 m cep something required for ASBM.

The Chinese have created something like maneuvering using moving mass center control methods. This involves changing the center of gravity of a warhead modifying its atmospheric flight path by adjusting movable masses within the warhead. The warhead’s aerodynamic profile would remain unchanged, and the method can be used in conjunction with fins and other conventional control surfaces kind of ingenious .

I think it is far off that chinese AC will be a problem for India so we have time.

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
Yup , but range , payload and trajectory are usually changed for optimal solution .
Depressed trajectory is resorted to avoid radar detection (like terrain-hugging cruise missile do) at the cost of reduced payload to traverse same distance with same amount of fuel. But while Cruise missile can dodge & weave its way, depressed ballistic missile can not do. However, it can cover the range at supersonic speed. I don't know how the trade-off is justified.

sasum

If Agni-VI carries a 3ton warhead, of which only 1 ton is the physics package, what is the explanation for the balance weight? It must be fuel for additional range which potentially fires a High Altitude Motor.
Warhead doesn't include fuel & motor. 3 ton warhead means 3 ton explosive.

aditya g

Country flag
It carries a nuclear warhead genius. Our atom bombs are not north Korean level ... They should weight barely a few hundred kg.

Warhead doesn't include fuel & motor. 3 ton warhead means 3 ton explosive.

no smoking

Country flag
Agni-VI is slated to have 3tn warhead. So why can K-4 not carry 2tn?
Probably because Agni-VI is not going to have 3tn payload, it is unrealistic.
Just have a look of Russia's latest deployed ballistic missile: Yars-M (Range 11000-12000km, payload 1500kg).

I do even doubt about the 2 ton payload of K-4.
Just comparing to French M5 missile plan (Range 6000km, payload 1400kg), but M5's weight was planned to be 48tons not K-4's 20tons.

no smoking

Country flag
It carries a nuclear warhead genius. Our atom bombs are not north Korean level ... They should weight barely a few hundred kg.
Based on the picture of "Hydrogen bomb" tested in 1998, the weight of your warhead must be way above a few hundred kg.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Agni series may have MIRV in future. Agni is a much heavier missile so its warhead weight can be more.

I agree with @aditya g about K4, that warhead may have propellent for additional range and maneuverability.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Based on the picture of "Hydrogen bomb" tested in 1998, the weight of your warhead must be way above a few hundred kg.
I have already replied to you about hydrogen bomb test in other thread. No point repeating the same.

Gessler

Country flag
K-4 (3,500km) can carry 2tn warhead. He is saying if it takes only 1tn, range will increase to 7,000 km. By that logic, reduced payload (1.5tn) K-5 can sure hit 10,000km!!
Problem is that these missiles would be hermetically sealed in both their land-based and submarine-based guises. This allows them to stay in a ready-to-launch state for decades. Now once a missile is sealed, you're not gonna be able to mess with it's warhead in any way or change it's weight properties on the fly.

So whether you want maximum range at the cost of reducing an already small-yield warhead (MIRVed), or wish to have maximum destructive capabilities within the range parameters that allow it, you have to make the decision BEFORE you put the missile in a SSBN.

@Gessler even says K-5 has 6,000km range, not 5,000km. I don't know how he got that.
6,500km to be precise. However the 6,000+ km figure was confirmed in a DRDO presentation at IIT-Bombay. I believe I've already uploaded the snap. Doing it again just in case -

sasum

My post was a reaction to your conjecture. You need not have been unnecessarily sarcastic.
Probably you meant MARV (1 ton warhead contained in 2 ton booster bus). But then booster bus is not part of warhead, nor a single warhead requires booster bus. whether warhead is nuclear, chemical, biological or other is irrelevant with reference to your motor/ fuel comment . In anycase, nuclear bomb can not be delivered by MaRV booster.

no smoking

Country flag
I have already replied to you about hydrogen bomb test in other thread. No point repeating the same.
I have also replied to you about your failure to prove your argument, so there is no need to repeat yourselves again unless you provide some solid evidence.

garg_bharat

Country flag
I have also replied to you about your failure to prove your argument, so there is no need to repeat yourselves again unless you provide some solid evidence.
There is no need of a "solid reference". You falsely presume I am out to prove something to you. Not at all?

I do not need any evidence from you, and I do not need to provide any evidence to you.

no smoking

Country flag
There is no need of a "solid reference". You falsely presume I am out to prove something to you. Not at all?

I do not need any evidence from you, and I do not need to provide any evidence to you.
Well, my friend, it was you first jump out saying:"
I didn't ask you before that.

no smoking

Country flag
Chinese claim a less than 12 m cep something required for ASBM.
Highly unlikely.

The Chinese official statement from the company design/produce it is:"圆概率误差为数十米", which means a CEP between 30m and 50m.

Superdefender

Dissapointing news....
Agni-V test was cancelled at the last moment. All due to pressure of scared USA.

Panjab47

सर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट्टादेवकल्पादृढ़व्रता|੧੫|
Banned
Dissapointing news....
Agni-V test was cancelled at the last moment. All due to pressure of scared USA.
Sputnik also been making noise about missile tests.

Both want to christianize us.

Superdefender

Agni-V IRBM test was supposed to happen today in Balasore, Odisha. Cancelled at last hour.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles