INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
There are already orders that OFB has to deliver ..

Please correct me if i am wrong but i had no idea about the handling of amogh carbine before these pics but after seeing that pic in which that guy is aiming the cabine towards the fisherman i think this gun is pretty good for our SF, its compact and it deliver rounds with adequate accuracy and energy..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
its good to see that improvements are coming along, as the forces after checking, though internet and all the exhibitions, what are standards internationally, also wanting the same from OFB. OFB too on its part is changing design of the rifles. In medium and long run its good sign.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
These are the photos taken by me on range during 2013, While shooting and taking vid and clicks of newly issued Improved 1B1s, As i didn't wanted them on net immediately for security reasons ..

We have short 50ms and long range 200ms, The rifle were used at long range, Each soldier fires around 40 to 90rnds from each rifle.

Basic introduction to Improved 1B1 : Better metallurgy than 1B and older 1b1 which helps reduce the weight but the outer body metal sheet is thicker than earlier ones insuring higher safety ..

0. Better metallurgy.
1. Comes in Black.
2. Rifle Quality is improved.
3. Sound reduction.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
These are the photos taken by me on range during 2013, While shooting and taking vid and clicks of newly issued Improved 1B1s, As i didn't wanted them on net immediately for security reasons ..

We have short 50ms and long range 200ms, The rifle were used at long range, Each soldier fires around 40 to 90rnds from each rifle.

Basic introduction to Improved 1B1 : Better metallurgy than 1B and older 1b1 which helps reduce the weight but the outer body metal sheet is thicker than earlier ones insuring higher safety ..

0. Better metallurgy.
1. Comes in Black.
2. Rifle Quality is improved.
3. Sound reduction.
What is that hammer doing out there?

EliteFoxtrot

Those are some really cool pictures, the metal is looking awesome but OFB should try out design based on AR for Exculiber and Amogh, it will not only reduce its weight cause that design will force them to use fibre based body but it will allow the sapper to make necessary changes in riffles (they usually do such things)
here are some of the drawings representing most possible and appropriate design option for INSAS AR and INSAS LMG made by one of my friend Sayak Naskar..

10373758_462870137149102_8187133510547257022_n.jpg

The design for INSAS, he named it INSAS MKII
11137162_595209693915145_6686953349470994681_n.jpg

INSAS LMG
10291856_459245467511569_3350019229789309961_n.jpg

And the very interesting Kalantak :)

rishivashista13

Country flag
Those are some really cool pictures, the metal is looking awesome but OFB should try out design based on AR for Exculiber and Amogh, it will not only reduce its weight cause that design will force them to use fibre based body but it will allow the sapper to make necessary changes in riffles (they usually do such things)
here are some of the drawings representing most possible and appropriate design option for INSAS AR and INSAS LMG made by one of my friend Sayak Naskar..

View attachment 9632
The design for INSAS, he named it INSAS MKII
View attachment 9633
INSAS LMG
View attachment 9634
And the very interesting Kalantak :)
Good drawings .
But they are whole new design . Working on a purely new designs will require a lot of time and money .
For now they should start mass production of Excalibur , ghatak and amogh (after doing modifications which are required) as soon as possible .

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

EliteFoxtrot

The most critical phase of any firearm is designing and this designs are made by a 1st year college student who had hardly any knowledge of factors like metallurgy, ballistics and powder.. if he can drew such magnificent firearms i am sure OFB must have more potent designers with knowledge of above field, here the mindset should not be that "we have to give our forces a descent firearm" but it should be like we have to develop a world class firearm which we can showcase in foreign market, little more investment and you have almost all 3rd world countries in you AO, than a little more marketing and bang you are now in international market....

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
This is a reply for many who share similar misunderstanding..

Most of those who have no clue of combat, but a mere individual who acquires knowledge gleaned through glossies that are but publicity material of weapons company, who do their best to sell their weapons with contrived claims, Can come up with such view.

Let me put this whole in a very constructive way : The design of a firearm is around its practicality with respect to training and terrain and that is why every firearm looks different from one another in service with various nations which have capacity to makes its own firearm for its forces around the globe.

For example for any combat illiterate 1B1s 1990 GSQR design looks this way,1. 1B1`s carrying handle, 2 .exposed gas tube over the barrel, 3. stamped receiver with bolts looks very ugly and unattractive, 4. Carry on the 3o3 buttstock, and he get to conclusion as its unnecessary and 'chalta ha' job from designers.

The design is based on prepared requirement of Army or paramilitary, from barrel to butt, 1. That ugly carrying handle sticking out of the rifle is essential in long marches to carry it like suitcase for ease in transport, 2. The exposed gas tube over the barrel is kept exposed so that the solider can remove mud and soil from clogging it in harsh condition without much problems during combat, 3. The stamp receiver with bolt does sure looks ugly but good for mass production to arm an Army whose size is 10 million including Paramilitary, Army and police forces in less than 10 years, 4. The adaptation of outdated 3o3 butt-stock in mordern rifles such as 1B1 is because 3o3 butt stock was used by all types of martial races in India with success from short gorkhas and nagas to tall sikhs.

The service firearm is meant for combat, It does not matter how it looks, It does not matter how it feels personally to you but what matter most it should come out of trails by user and should work at place where it must.

Indian arm export are banned and only open to government to government dealings with friendly nations only..

==============

In case rifle needs a hammer and screw to keep it functional..

i am sure OFB must have more potent designers with knowledge of above field.
What is that hammer doing out there?

sydsnyper

Country flag
Most people fail to realize that weapons have to be able to undergo this and worse. What matters is ultimately a binary question - will it fire, YES or NO. None of the sexy condiments matter in these moments, and more often than not, they tend to fail or obstruct the weapon disastrously.

Shadow

Country flag
This is a reply for many who share similar misunderstanding..

Most of those who have no clue of combat, but a mere individual who acquires knowledge gleaned through glossies that are but publicity material of weapons company, who do their best to sell their weapons with contrived claims, Can come up with such view.

Let me put this whole in a very constructive way : The design of a firearm is around its practicality with respect to training and terrain and that is why every firearm looks different from one another in service with various nations which have capacity to makes its own firearm for its forces around the globe.

For example for any combat illiterate 1B1s 1990 GSQR design looks this way,1. 1B1`s carrying handle, 2 .exposed gas tube over the barrel, 3. stamped receiver with bolts looks very ugly and unattractive, 4. Carry on the 3o3 buttstock, and he get to conclusion as its unnecessary and 'chalta ha' job from designers.

The design is based on prepared requirement of Army or paramilitary, from barrel to butt, 1. That ugly carrying handle sticking out of the rifle is essential in long marches to carry it like suitcase for ease in transport, 2. The exposed gas tube over the barrel is kept exposed so that the solider can remove mud and soil from clogging it in harsh condition without much problems during combat, 3. The stamp receiver with bolt does sure looks ugly but good for mass production to arm an Army whose size is 10 million including Paramilitary, Army and police forces in less than 10 years, 4. The adaptation of outdated 3o3 butt-stock in mordern rifles such as 1B1 is because 3o3 butt stock was used by all types of martial races in India with success from short gorkhas and nagas to tall sikhs.

The service firearm is meant for combat, It does not matter how it looks, It does not matter how it feels personally to you but what matter most it should come out of trails by user and should work at place where it must.

Indian arm export are banned and only open to government to government dealings with friendly nations only..

==============

In case rifle needs a hammer and screw to keep it functional..

Thanks Dada.This will certainly clear most of the doubts.

Prashant12

Country flag
Excalibur muscle for Bengal police

Kolkata: Police forces from several states, including West Bengal, have turned to Rifle Factory Ishapore (RFI) to modernise their armoury.

While West Bengal has placed orders for 292 Excalibur rifles, 500 pistols (9mm) and 66 pump-action guns, RFI will supply 2,000 Ghaatak rifles to police in eight states, including Maharashtra, Assam, Bihar, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Nagaland. Maharashtra has ordered the bulk of these weapons that match the AK series of assault rifles.

"Based on our experiences and user feedback, we made changes to the originally designed Excalibur rifle. The 5.56mm calibre weapon can now be used in single-shot or automatic mode. We have done away with the burst-fire mode as this was causing jamming of rounds in some of the rifles. The West Bengal order for this weapon is worth Rs 1.78 crore. In 2016-17, we have an all-time high order for 9 mm pistols. We will be making and delivering nearly 30,000 of these to security forces across the country," said Ratneshwar Varma, general manager, RFI.

RFI, which won the Golden Peacock Occupational Health & Safety Award for 2016, is also working on a corner-shot rifle for the armed forces. Such rifles can shoot around corners without exposing the soldier to the enemy. According to Varma, the hardware for this weapon is ready and work is under way to integrate the electronic parts. The factory has also delivered components of a multi-calibre rifle to Armament Research & Development Establishment. This DRDO lab will assemble the components, test the weapon and get back to RFI.

"Ghaatak was originally of 5.56mm calibre. We scaled it up to 7.62 mm x 39 mm calibre. The large calibre makes it an ideal weapon for close-quarter combat and counter-terrorist operations. On August 10, BSF and CRPF teams will arrive at the factory to try out the Ghaatak," said C Kamal Kumar, joint general manager, RFI.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...le-for-Bengal-police/articleshow/53565435.cms

Prashant12

Country flag
Excalibur muscle for Bengal police

Kolkata: Police forces from several states, including West Bengal, have turned to Rifle Factory Ishapore (RFI) to modernise their armoury.

While West Bengal has placed orders for 292 Excalibur rifles, 500 pistols (9mm) and 66 pump-action guns, RFI will supply 2,000 Ghaatak rifles to police in eight states, including Maharashtra, Assam, Bihar, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Nagaland. Maharashtra has ordered the bulk of these weapons that match the AK series of assault rifles.

"Based on our experiences and user feedback, we made changes to the originally designed Excalibur rifle. The 5.56mm calibre weapon can now be used in single-shot or automatic mode. We have done away with the burst-fire mode as this was causing jamming of rounds in some of the rifles. The West Bengal order for this weapon is worth Rs 1.78 crore. In 2016-17, we have an all-time high order for 9 mm pistols. We will be making and delivering nearly 30,000 of these to security forces across the country," said Ratneshwar Varma, general manager, RFI.

RFI, which won the Golden Peacock Occupational Health & Safety Award for 2016, is also working on a corner-shot rifle for the armed forces. Such rifles can shoot around corners without exposing the soldier to the enemy. According to Varma, the hardware for this weapon is ready and work is under way to integrate the electronic parts. The factory has also delivered components of a multi-calibre rifle to Armament Research & Development Establishment. This DRDO lab will assemble the components, test the weapon and get back to RFI.

"Ghaatak was originally of 5.56mm calibre. We scaled it up to 7.62 mm x 39 mm calibre. The large calibre makes it an ideal weapon for close-quarter combat and counter-terrorist operations. On August 10, BSF and CRPF teams will arrive at the factory to try out the Ghaatak," said C Kamal Kumar, joint general manager, RFI.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...le-for-Bengal-police/articleshow/53565435.cms

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Police forces ordering Ghatak in numbers is pleasing. But i find it hard to believe that till date none has places orders for MSMC which is most suitable for Police SWATs and one patrolling civic areas.

EliteFoxtrot

I find these riffles more effective and in urgent with RR or atleast with Ghatak Platoons they are literally struggling with their weapons, any stable firing platform with atleast a red dot sight will encourage them to do some more impossible stuff just like they are doing this time :D

A hell lot of fanboyism in the last line isn't it :D

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
I wonder if Army will give a chance to DRDO to develop 7.62 x 51 rifle or its just a pretext to side step Excaliber and MCIWS

rishivashista13

Country flag
I wonder if Army will give a chance to DRDO to develop 7.62 x 51 rifle or its just a pretext to side step Excaliber and MCIWS
They should , a homemade rifle is highly preferable if it can fulfill requirements .

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles