Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

McSnipes

Country flag
Extremely interesting talk by Abhijit Iyer Mitra on the issues with the defense procurement in India. Talks about the Rafale deal & its intricacies as well as the issues we are facing with Su-30MKIs and ToT.

Some of the issues he highlighted with the Su-30s really make your head spin. It’s like we have had buffoons negotiating & finalising trash deals for us without any set strategy in mind.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Extremely interesting talk by Abhijit Iyer Mitra on the issues with the defense procurement in India. Talks about the Rafale deal & its intricacies as well as the issues we are facing with Su-30MKIs and ToT.

Some of the issues he highlighted with the Su-30s really make your head spin. It’s like we have had buffoons negotiating & finalising trash deals for us without any set strategy in mind.

Indranil on BRF has already debunked these issues. Mitra is living in past and is not aware of changes made.

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

Tanmay

Country flag

Iyer says we need Sukhois/Rafale to throw nuclear bomb on Beijing and Shanghai.
Those cities are 2500 km away from even IAF airbases in Assam (Tezpur, Chabua)!! And we need to cross entire mainland China to reach those cities!!
1) Neither Sukhoi or Rafale or any fighter jet has such a long range.
2) Do you intend to send mid air refuelers over Chinese territory?
3) Chinese have lots of S300 and S400 and domestic copies. So flying at high altitudes makes no sense
4) Low level flying aint possible for such large distances. Fuel consumption is higher.

His entire premise of nuclear bombing Beijing/Shanghai using planes is laughable.

Regarding Sukhois radars and jamming pods not talking with each other, we had those in real combat during that post Balakot Pakistani strike. The AMRAAMS missed their targets. So the jammers did work and the radars too.

Iyer's previous attempts at OSINT were terrible. Quotes lame OSINT handles.
He wrote about secret Paki radar which he claims IAF didn't know of. I had shown that the radar was there since decades in a major Paki Cantonment which had been targeted by IAF.
https://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/satellite-images-thread.80704/page-8#post-1547519

He again claimed that Srinagar got Pechora SAMs after Balakot. Those were installed two decades ago.!
https://defenceforumindia.com/forum...-news-discussions.57142/page-189#post-1561192

And his other absurd claim that Barak 8 are failures based on same premise of Indian, Israeli, French, Russian systems "not talking". Just old wine being sold again and again in new packages.

JBH22

Watched the whole video and I could not resist posting a number of observations;
  1. Investment in Human capital. At the outset let me say that I fully agree that its the men and not the machine that makes you win the war. However, the entire premise that IAF pilots are somehow low IQ individuals as against their western counterparts is highly dubious. Moreover, the idea that the average indian kid is crappier because he could not get hands on PS game set is laughable. In any case, the acquisition of any platform will entail a learning curve. This is why the pilots are going to the OEM for training besides regular training with the French airforce pilots. afaik to become a pilot one needs a minimum undergraduate qualification which is coupled with years of training.
  2. Criticism against Russian platforms. He willingly states that Russian platforms are sub standard when compared to their western counterparts. He forgot that India has limited resources and it is precisely with those weapons that India won all its wars. His analogy of Lada and Audi is also laughable, he forgots that the Lada is perfect for the Russian condition which may not be the same for the Audi. One cannot forget the Tiger vs T-34 comparison. You will also recall that Pakistan was armed with so called western top of the line weaponry F-104 or F-86 which got slayed by the MIG-21.

shankyz

Country flag
Wtf?.......
Rafale................................
If this is true, what will be fate of LCA Mk2?

Even French Air Force have suspended its orders for Dassault to cater to Rafale orders from India, Qatar, Egypt ...how will they be able to complete this order book ?

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag

Even French Air Force have suspended its orders for Dassault to cater to Rafale orders from India, Qatar, Egypt ...how will they be able to complete this order book ?
Bdw....rafale is there to fulfill also to maintain squardon strength,and we all know mwf is only will replace m2000 ,jaguar s...in late 30s....
And amca with Tejas mk1a,mwf ,rafale mig29,super sukhoi...will be the gems of iaf....
Bdw we have the highest su30 after Russia...
And we will have highest rafale after France......
And we have already 36 ..now 114...

These are sufficient to do sit-ups to pakis

Priyabrata

Bdw....rafale is there to fulfill also to maintain squardon strength,and we all know mwf is only will replace m2000 ,jaguar s...in late 30s....
And amca with Tejas mk1a,mwf ,rafale mig29,super sukhoi...will be the gems of iaf....
Bdw we have the highest su30 after Russia...
And we will have highest rafale after France......
And we have already 36 ..now 114...

These are sufficient to do sit-ups to pakis
Is it total 114 or 36 + 114?

I just hope it doesn't kill the LCA project.
Also, I thought there is a shortage of funds, suddenly where did the fund come from or am I missing something?

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk

Assassin 2.0

Country flag
https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.time...e-to-lower-price/amp_articleshow/70823895.cms
TEJAS COST REDUCTION.
According to sources privy to the negotiations, HAL quoted Rs 450 crore per aircraft as the basic price. “MoD and IAF (customers) are firm that this price is not competitive and are negotiating for a price that is less than Rs 300 crore per aircraft. Negotiations are nearly complete and final price is likely to be in the range of Rs 250 crore and Rs 275 crore,” a source said.
If the price is Rs 275 crore, then the value of 83 LCAs would be about Rs 22,825 crore compared to Rs 37,350 crore if it was Rs 450 crore. This value would be excluding maintenance and other aspects of the overall deal. It’s noteworthy that former defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman had pegged the total value of LCA order at Rs 50,000 crore in January.
“HAL really has no choice. If we need to sustain our production lines and the employees, we need fresh orders, and this is one of the bigger orders which will go on for at least five years,” a source said. (I want to see more tejas that jet is beautiful we just need more indigenous systems and cost reduction. But i hate HAL they are leech when there asses were kicked and people were losing jobs they pushed the cost down. Jokers. Screw driver force.)

Last edited:

IndianHawk

Country flag

It is replacing fgfa at this point. Mwf is continuing.

IndianHawk

Country flag
To explain the whole situation .
If 114 or more rafale are coming then it's not just about a plane but it reflects fundamental shift in IAF. These are main pointers

1. Fgfa is dead no import of su57 either. Instead IAF is convinced that rafale can deal with j20 and. Su35 of china untill AMCA enters mass production. J20 anyway is decades away from maturity.

2. Finally reducing over reliance on Russia bringing balance of western jets and Russian jets back in IAF mix.

3. Clear preference to Western way of air warfare over Russian way now. Avionics electronic network warfare is preferred over cheap crude power of Russian birds.

Same template to be used for Indian jets mk1a , mwf and later AMCA.

Mwf being lite copy of rafale will be accepted very fast in the force. Both might share weaponry ( bvr missiles , land attack missile and guided bombs.)

And ofcourse standardising the force.

Future being
Su30mki upgraded to super sukhoi= 300
Rafale 200
Lca mk1a (all mk1 converted in due time)= 123
Mwf =200

AMCA = 200+ ( replacing su30 MKI older planes gradually from 2035).

I'm guessing there will be lot more AWACS ordered going forward along with more ground based radars for complete network matrix.

Finally this deal could potentially result in a semi indegenios engine for AMCA and mwf later version. ( 110KN ) .

JKK

Country flag
To explain the whole situation .
If 114 or more rafale are coming then it's not just about a plane but it reflects fundamental shift in IAF.

If this news of 114+ Rafale's is actually true, then for the first time i feel that our mindset could be moving from buying 'just enough' to 'getting plenty' and that too of the good stuff.

If this mindset continues with other orders/acquisitions too in coming days then i think somewhere within the leadership is a larger mission to get India to its rightful place in the world order.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles