DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

iNorthernerOn9

Country flag

This is reportedly the S-500. WTF are they using as the engine? I have never seen an object accelerate that fast before. How are people claiming AD-1 is on-par/ better than this? Isnt the AD-1 alot slower in comparison?
That's A-235... & not S-500(which has TEL cannister like S-400 but only 2 missiles per launcher)

Last edited:

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag

This is reportedly the S-500. WTF are they using as the engine? I have never seen an object accelerate that fast before. How are people claiming AD-1 is on-par/ better than this? Isnt the AD-1 alot slower in comparison?
It is not S-500, this is the Russian A-235 PL-19 Nudol meant to take out satellites, ICBM and hypersonic missiles.
India's analogue for this system is PDV Mk2/ASAT/Mission Shakti.

omaebakabaka

How come a speed like this would make AD-1 any better?
Hypersonic targets that are in terminal stage? Although I think the entire don radars are hiding their bigger capabilities....from what I read even during chaotic 90's certain sensitive areas were off limits to american gangs in kremlin and this is one of them along with few other ones. My opinion is anti sats are not as challenging as some of the other aero-ballistic and non baliisitc such as gliding hypersonic ones.

Photon

Country flag
L&T Sudarshan Close In Weapon System (CIWS)

Sudarshan CIWS in pic looks to be under some kind of field trials and consists of

1. Search Radar & Command Control Unit (left side)

2. 40mm Air Defence gun with Programmable Ammunition (center)

3. Fire Control Radar (right side)

So Sudarshan or theevra is licensed built Italian 40mm?

omaebakabaka

The IAF may use a similar system. I believe something like this is already in the works which will leverage the Netra and connect it with the IACCS.

Besides all our ground based radars and Sam systems be it E Shorads like Spyder SR or Akash mk1 to MRSAM and the long ranged S-400 are all plugged into the IACCS. So whatever one radar detects and tracks irrespective of the geographical area, the requisite feed is available to the rest of the shooters and sensors plugged into the network.
You are mostly right on the big picture...
I think it makes sense to navalize this capability like US did with Aegis, but without IAD from VLRR to tactical radars of vshorads it is not possible to increase the probability of interception as a whole as far as BMD is concerned, it has to be layers. We only just started IAD focus, so may be a while before an active system is created and operational to that extent. Mostly we are looking at 40 to 60km altitude interception with this one around a 200 to 250 km radius? Also we are missing entire sat level detection of a launch like US or Russia or even China, but foundation stones are being laid slowly.

omaebakabaka

So Sudarshan or theevra is licensed built Italian 40mm?
If totally indigenous then thats a tall accomplishment as navalizing something like this comes with challenging requirements with size and weight restrictions but they do have experience in hitech areas coming from involvement in nuke subs, so who knows. I still think they partnered in the hardware side minus the radars and software.....99% kill rate with one round is a bit unbelievable for me but it depends on target type as rounds are programmable......

pipebomb

Country flag
How come a speed like this would make AD-1 any better?
Russia edited the original footage and deleted a few frames for secrecy, that is why it appears fast. Unedited video have not been released to public yet. But my guess would be it would be quite fast due a-235's size. Us had a kinda similar missile named nike Hercules.

Ad-1's probable contemporary would be 9m83/9m82, but we haven't seen any vouchers with dimensions of ad-1. Maybe they design ad-1 around brahmos uvls.

cyclops

Country flag

The same with THAAD.
The point is, your interceptor has to be insanely fast so as to get to the aggressor as high up as possible. The latter might even use decoys and/or your radars might take sometime to acquire the target/s for whatever reason. So your interceptor absolutely has to be twitchy fast.

Arihant Roy

Country flag
As i have mentioned earlier, the 1st stage booster has guide vanes for thrust vectoring.

FgjfGqIacAAEVT9~3.jpeg

Plus there's the set of four fins for aerodynamic control.

Am pretty sure that the second stage also has guide vanes for TVC. Fine milli second high lateral G maneuvering will be required for a kinetic hit or for a close proximity burst in the absence of a KV. Plus in the less denser air aerodynamic control isn't that effective.

The second stage is hypersonic and has a directed blast warhead. So all those complaining about the lack of speed vis a vis Thaad can sleep peacefully in the knowledge that the missile will get to its intended target in the least possible time.

The first stage is indeed thick. Almost Pralay like . I am not very sure. But what I am sure about us AD-1 having a 400+ km range . 500 ish will be more accurate. This ultra long range will enable it to hit maneuvering RV and HGV with considerable ease since the second stage itself will be having considerable KE to zig zag and maneuver to keep up with the Maneuvering vehicle .
Or the technical thing to say is the second stage has a rather large volume NEZ.

porky_kicker

Country flag
As i have mentioned earlier, the 1st stage booster has guide vanes for thrust vectoring.

View attachment 180203

Plus there's the set of four fins for aerodynamic control.

Am pretty sure that the second stage also has guide vanes for TVC. Fine milli second high lateral G maneuvering will be required for a kinetic hit or for a close proximity burst in the absence of a KV. Plus in the less denser air aerodynamic control isn't that effective.

The second stage is hypersonic and has a directed blast warhead. So all those complaining about the lack of speed vis a vis Thaad can sleep peacefully in the knowledge that the missile will get to its intended target in the least possible time.

The first stage is indeed thick. Almost Pralay like . I am not very sure. But what I am sure about us AD-1 having a 400+ km range . 500 ish will be more accurate. This ultra long range will enable it to hit maneuvering RV and HGV with considerable ease since the second stage itself will be having considerable KE to zig zag and maneuver to keep up with the Maneuvering vehicle .
Or the technical thing to say is the second stage has a rather large volume NEZ.
JVC ( jet vane control ) is the appropriate terminology instead of guide vanes

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles