DRDO UGRAM ASSAULT RIFILE

Satish Sharma

Country flag
4 kg! It weights more than ak47 , the western counterparts weights almost half..

Satish Sharma

Country flag
Find a 7.62x51mm rifle under 3.4kg that has a barrel length of 16" or above?

Ergonomics/ Aesthetics can be improved but the stats are comparable with any 7.62x51mm rifle that uses Long Stroke operation.
I thought it's 7.62x39

jgray

Country flag
Is this a short-stroke gas operated or long-stroke gas operated? The earlier rifle was long-stroke rifle it would have never worked out for such a large caliber. All big players offer either Short-stroke or DI.

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
Is this a short-stroke gas operated or long-stroke gas operated? The earlier rifle was long-stroke rifle it would have never worked out for such a large caliber. All big players offer either Short-stroke or DI.
The MCIWS is a short stroke gun. As is this one I feel.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
at its core it's just another AK fork, so it's long stroke gas piston only

Corvus Splendens

Country flag

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
IF it's a development over the MCIWS, it should retain the short stroke system.
View attachment 235852
that's some brain farts duh
it's definitely not development from MCIWS BECAUSE MCIWS WAS BASED ON AR-15 STYLE BOLT AND BOLT CARRIER DESIGN, WHILE THIS IS CLEARY AN AK-FORK
1704920374477.png

^it's just upscaled version of this ARDE 5.56mm carbine thing, notice the AK pattern bolt, bolt carrier and gas piston place (though they have not shown gas piston in this xerox copy style picture but that centreline hole clearly suggest that a fixed piston goes affixed there just like regular AK)
cannot you trust me after all these years on DFI ?!
While in general it's true that MCIWS//AAR has got some striking similarity to SoKorean K-2 rifle but it is still a unique design on its own and in some regards near to INSAS

for example, Trigger Group in the MCIWS//AAR is of Kalashnikov pattern one,makes me think it is taken from INSAS
View attachment 63780

Then again its working is somewhat unique (still leaning towards K-2 Rifle but still different),just have a look at this
View attachment 63781

So yeah, it's unique design in my view that's taken some elements from this weapon and major design elements from K-2 rifle maybe.
BTW this pattern of exposed Camming Pin + Camming Surface that too on its Ejection Port was one of those things i immensely hated about MCIWS//AAR

View attachment 63788

Like seriously WTF these are among the critical working mechanisms of a self loading rifle and they are keeping it exposed ? Forget Inrange TV Pattern Mud Tests,it won't be able to tolerate dust or sand accumulation on its bolt carrier in sandy environment of Thar

Imagine designing a firearm in 21st Century and still making such elementary mistake of not keeping working parts or mechanisms sealed and safe from outside gunk :facepalm: oh and yes they aren't even providing a dust cover on its ejection port so making it even worser

If you'd compare it to AR-15 ( has got dust cover and even when dust cover is open its bolt carrier is sealed enough to keep outside stuff away from working parts ) and K-2 (doesn't have dust cover but bolt carrier is sealing its ejection port well enough) this is failing in both way. I would say even AK (or INSAS) is better sealed than this design as at least bolt carrier is effectively covering its camming surfaces sealed.
and even first variant of MCIWS was long-stroke gas piston system only, a dovetail shaped cut was made on its bolt carrier to slide in the long stroke gas piston - very similar to what we're seeing now on SIG SAUER NGSW-R "SPEAR" thing (heh, wasn't it ahead of its time) and ONLY when it got forked to that later iteration called 'Advanced Assault Rifle' or AAR - but that name never stuck to it - it got a gas regulator on it and so back then, people started calling it short stroke gas piston and so-so because of that gas regulator but I am still doubtful of it so there's some ambiguity there but my overall observation still makes me think it still was long stroke gas piston only with probably a gas regulator providing adjustment of gas for different calibres because of course it was a multi-calibre mumbo jumbo and perhaps also for accommodating suppressor and things 🤷‍♂️

Global Defence

New threads

Articles