DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

porky_kicker

Country flag

Srinie

Country flag
The Janes article says clearly both the gun systems are meant to go on a single landing ship while Leonardo PR says it's for fast patrol boats .

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Hypersonic targets that are in terminal stage? Although I think the entire don radars are hiding their bigger capabilities....from what I read even during chaotic 90's certain sensitive areas were off limits to american gangs in kremlin and this is one of them along with few other ones. My opinion is anti sats are not as challenging as some of the other aero-ballistic and non baliisitc such as gliding hypersonic ones.
I would argue a relatively low acceleration, low rate of burn stage 1 is preferable for ballistic missile defence. Speeding up too much in the initial high density air will be a big waste especially for a system you want to be portable.

Intercept speed can be increased with a faster burning propellant in the second stage of the missile.

High speed from the get go will be needed for hypersonic low flying targets IMO.

Last edited:

omaebakabaka

I would argue a relatively low acceleration, low rate of burn stage 1 is preferable for ballistic missile defence. Speeding up too much in the initial high density air will be a big waste especially for a system you want to be portable.

Intercept speed can be increased with a faster burning propellant in the second phase.
There could be many factors such as if threats come at boost phase like icbm's vulnerable at boost phase with something like aegis threat to russian icbms close to their locations and if AD missiles are silo based then these may have room to be heavy like a-235 or 135 and finally if incoming missile is hypersonic, you really need boost to intercept it at a certain distance as the risk increases with distance. AD missiles are in general faster than the target missile it is designed to intercept. Thats why icbms are tricky in terminal phase and aegis tries to address that in exo with SM3....300 to 400 km is pretty good range if the asset you are protecting is specific.....I don't think slow AD missile has any benefits at all in this class particularly

Chinmoy

Country flag
Hypersonic targets that are in terminal stage? Although I think the entire don radars are hiding their bigger capabilities....from what I read even during chaotic 90's certain sensitive areas were off limits to american gangs in kremlin and this is one of them along with few other ones. My opinion is anti sats are not as challenging as some of the other aero-ballistic and non baliisitc such as gliding hypersonic ones.
An RV travels at high hypersonic speed ~ Mach 10+ during terminal stage. AD-1 has been designed to intercept such a speed. Game here is how good are you at your detection and ranging and how good is your interception solution. Let it be a SAM or be an ABM, nothing gives you a 100% interception chance. Leave alone 100%, even 90% is far fetched. So it depends on what is your interception solution.

If your ranging is not good enough, a high speed interceptor is more of a liability then an asset. In such a case, a slow moving interceptor is far better. Look at the launch speed of THAAD, Patriot, Arrow. A high speed interceptor like A-235 is good enough for video making or propaganda. But if your subsystems like target tracking, ranging and firing solution is not good, then the missile is just a dud.

pipebomb

Country flag
Russia edited the original footage and deleted a few frames for secrecy, that is why it appears fast. Unedited video have not been released to public yet. But my guess would be it would be quite fast due a-235's size. Us had a kinda similar missile named nike Hercules.

Ad-1's probable contemporary would be 9m83/9m82, but we haven't seen any vouchers with dimensions of ad-1. Maybe they design ad-1 around brahmos uvls.
On second thought ad-1 seems bizzarely slow.

omaebakabaka

An RV travels at high hypersonic speed ~ Mach 10+ during terminal stage. AD-1 has been designed to intercept such a speed. Game here is how good are you at your detection and ranging and how good is your interception solution. Let it be a SAM or be an ABM, nothing gives you a 100% interception chance. Leave alone 100%, even 90% is far fetched. So it depends on what is your interception solution.

If your ranging is not good enough, a high speed interceptor is more of a liability then an asset. In such a case, a slow moving interceptor is far better. Look at the launch speed of THAAD, Patriot, Arrow. A high speed interceptor like A-235 is good enough for video making or propaganda. But if your subsystems like target tracking, ranging and firing solution is not good, then the missile is just a dud.
Agreed, that is why I was more curious about radars involved. A-235 and ofcourse aegis are good because they have all the infrastructure of integrated detection from various platforms from launch detecting sats to space radars to vlr's like volga and finally other strategic and tactical radars and its silo launched, possibly designed to defeat IRBM's from Romania and Poland disguised as Aegis GBMD....so with impact time in mins, they need all the boost. We will too with China and Pak being next door? I don't think there is any reason for propaganda but who knows....all their new ICBMS also have very fast boost phase

Chinmoy

Country flag
Agreed, that is why I was more curious about radars involved. A-235 and ofcourse aegis are good because they have all the infrastructure of integrated detection from various platforms from launch detecting sats to space radars to vlr's like volga and finally other strategic and tactical radars and its silo launched, possibly designed to defeat IRBM's from Romania and Poland disguised as Aegis GBMD....so with impact time in mins, they need all the boost. We will too with China and Pak being next door? I don't think there is any reason for propaganda but who knows....all their new ICBMS also have very fast boost phase
https://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/india/swordfish.htm

omaebakabaka

I am not sure but I think VLR's are usually detection and classification radars rather than guidance or engagement radars, so perhaps it hands off the likely target info to other ones that actually guide the missile to its target upon coming into the range of the missile? This can't be the only radar in bmd system I presume but seems like foundation was laid a while ago possibly in lock step with nuke subs and icbm programs

Chinmoy

Country flag
I am not sure but I think VLR's are usually detection and classification radars rather than guidance or engagement radars, so perhaps it hands off the likely target info to other ones that actually guide the missile to its target upon coming into the range of the missile? This can't be the only radar in bmd system I presume but seems like foundation was laid a while ago possibly in lock step with nuke subs and icbm programs
These are tracking radars. Targetting a ballistic missile is different from targeting a highly agile fighter. Ballistic missile targeting is done by calculating the speed and relative position of the target after a given time.

omaebakabaka

These are tracking radars. Targetting a ballistic missile is different from targeting a highly agile fighter. Ballistic missile targeting is done by calculating the speed and relative position of the target after a given time.
I guess so as its possible but don't they operate in a different bands in general with VLRs in meter or decimeter? Previously I mentioned volga but recent is vorenezh pm with over 10k range.....swordfish seems to be in cm?

blackleaf

Country flag
Could anybody please give a speculative range and altitude of AD-1 and AD-2 ?? I know these are comparable to SM3, SM6, Aster, and whatnot but what is the ballpark we are talking about here ??
Shouldn't the Barak 8 or Barak 8-ER already be comparable to the Aster. Surely making our own Barak-8 ER wouldn't take very long.

Fatalis

Country flag
I don't know how much of this is true but Alpha Defence is saying the design of XRSAM which was revealed earlier has been discarded as it was just an initial design made by adding a booster to the MRSAM. Now, they are moving ahead with 2 different missiles: ERSAM and XRSAM and both will be inspired from Akash NG.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
I don't know how much of this is true but Alpha Defence is saying the design of XRSAM which was revealed earlier has been discarded as it was just an initial design made by adding a booster to the MRSAM. Now, they are moving ahead with 2 different missiles: ERSAM and XRSAM and both will be inspired from Akash NG.

Both will be ?? Can't say ,ersam will definitely be

Global Defence

Articles