Air Combat in Syria

Bahamut

The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan isn't really a good example for the modern world. But yeah sure, they killed lots of Afghani's. I'm not really sure what you're suggesting. Russia's not deploying ground forces to Syria and the capabilities, and soldiers, of the Soviet Union are long gone.

Previous bombing of ISIS has been ineffective compared to what? The current Russian air campaign? Have the pro Syrian forces advanced an inch into ISIS territory? Thought they'd only been bombing FSA. Yes, they're strikes are co-ordinated with Syrian govt. ground forces. But that's all the Russian forces sent are capable of doing. They've only sent ground support planes, they'd struggle to identify targets away from the front line.

We bombed the hell out of ISIS outside of Kobani, during the siege there. Doing tactically strikes is far less complicated than hitting infrastructure and if there was more effective opposition to ISIS, like the Kurds in Kobani, western aircarft wouldn't use so much effort "bombing the desert".

Why are still talking about NATO, is that directed at me an Australian (not NATO) living in Finland(not NATO) ?

30%... wouldn't you have done military service? Did you not get taught how armed forces function. A third of units should at full strength, fully trained and be deployable, a third should at be full strength and doing advanced training preparing to be deployable and a third wont be at full strength as guys are on holiday/ doing individual training courses and wont be deployable at all as they will have also gotten all the new recruits.

Would be very, very, very surprised if the Russia armed forces doesn't have exactly the same system.
The average rate of NATO jet is 2 to 3 strikes a day compare to 80 of Russian air force.These strikes are tactical.Also there other terrorist group in Syria like Al-Nusra ,Army of conquest which the collation does not target but the Russia do.There is a reason why Iraq is asking for Russian help.
The level of training in Russian special ops is equal to what was in soviet union if not more.The are highly trained and equipped and equivalent to the west in their respective class.
a bit of hummor

apple

The average rate of NATO jet is 2 to 3 strikes a day compare to 80 of Russian air force.These strikes are tactical.Also there other terrorist group in Syria like Al-Nusra ,Army of conquest which the collation does not target but the Russia do.There is a reason why Iraq is asking for Russian help.
The level of training in Russian special ops is equal to what was in soviet union if not more.The are highly trained and equipped and equivalent to the west in their respective class.
a bit of hummor
Don't believe you about the 2-3 vs 80. In fact, know you're wrong.

The Royal Australian Air Force, which only has 6 F18 there at the moment, did 78 combat sorties themselves in Septmeber. That's 2-3 per day and we only make up a miniscule part of the coalition.

Not sure if you're lying or just over trusting about bad sources.

As for the rest of your mail; I know who Al Nusra are, Iraq... yeah whatever, and there is no equivalent in any way shape and form between any part of the Russian military and their Western counter parts.

Wish the Russian all the best in Syria. But they are amateurs, poorly equipped and bad lead.

Whatever. Irrelevant
What's irrelevant? Your stupidity? Or that you have no idea who are talking to, nor know anything about the subjects you crap on about? Your lack of knowledge about everything is pretty relevant to me.

It is because they want to build Joint New Silk Root on deep continent land, where US cannot control traderoutes (opposite to overseas). US will occupy EU directly and openly in the case when China and Russia will cucceed to build these economic benefits and will convince EU to join and reject TTIP.
There will be a war in Europe between US, and Russia + China.
Jesus wept, this site is full of idiots writing garbage but that's my new nomination for the dumbest thing written here. China doesn't want war, they just want to do business and they don't need any unpredictable shithole i.e. Russia as a partner. When the Russian economy has gone a bit further down the toilet and Russians are desperate to sell, they'll buy the country out

This is the most stupid thing I ever heard bearing in mind defence budgets and those budgets effectivity, battle readiness level (75% in Russia and 15-30% in EU). And the quantity/quality parameters should be reviewed as well.

So, could you name those NATO members, who are individually stronger than Russia and reveal those params I have mentioned above? :)
Now NATO readiness which you claimed earlier was 30% is now 15%? Is this like how you claimed the Apache was unarmoured, then claimed it's cockpit only was armoured? You do tend to change you claims don't you. I wouldn't call you a liar, because you clearly just make shit up as you have no knowledge about anything. If Russian units have 75% battle readiness that would mean they are conducting no training, or lying. Anyone, with any kind of knowledge of how peacetime armies work would know that.

Most of the European nations, apart from Russia, have very low levels of military spending. Doesn't mean they aren't capable nor that they couldn't expand if there was a threat, which Russia isn't.

So, my list of NATO countries more powerful than Russia... Sure; the US, Great Britain, France, Canada, Germany, Spain and Italy. I might be overstating the case with many of those countries. But, they don't care nor would their citizen be upset about being on/ off a list as they, unlike Russians, are quite comfortable with the size of their penises.

Evidences and numbers are everything, your empty claims and hubris are nothing.
Yeah, except when make up numbers and facts and then change them when it suits your purpose and you really never got what those facts mean in the first place.

You're a bit of filth between my toes. Don't bother replying to me, your level of dumb makes my head hurt and I'm going to ignore you for a while.

Bahamut

Don't believe you about the 2-3 vs 80. In fact, know you're wrong.

The Royal Australian Air Force, which only has 6 F18 there at the moment, did 78 combat sorties themselves in Septmeber. That's 2-3 per day and we only make up a miniscule part of the coalition.

Not sure if you're lying or just over trusting about bad sources.

As for the rest of your mail; I know who Al Nusra are, Iraq... yeah whatever, and there is no equivalent in any way shape and form between any part of the Russian military and their Western counter parts.

Wish the Russian all the best in Syria. But they are amateurs, poorly equipped and bad lead.

What's irrelevant? Your stupidity? Or that you have no idea who are talking to, nor know anything about the subjects you crap on about? Your lack of knowledge about everything is pretty relevant to me.

Jesus wept, this site is full of idiots writing garbage but that's my new nomination for the dumbest thing written here. China doesn't want war, they just want to do business and they don't need any unpredictable shithole i.e. Russia as a partner. When the Russian economy has gone a bit further down the toilet and Russians are desperate to sell, they'll buy the country out

Now NATO readiness which you claimed earlier was 30% is now 15%? Is this like how you claimed the Apache was unarmoured, then claimed it's cockpit only was armoured? You do tend to change you claims don't you. I wouldn't call you a liar, because you clearly just make shit up as you have no knowledge about anything. If Russian units have 75% battle readiness that would mean they are conducting no training, or lying. Anyone, with any kind of knowledge of how peacetime armies work would know that.

Most of the European nations, apart from Russia, have very low levels of military spending. Doesn't mean they aren't capable nor that they couldn't expand if there was a threat, which Russia isn't.

So, my list of NATO countries more powerful than Russia... Sure; the US, Great Britain, France, Canada, Germany, Spain and Italy. I might be overstating the case with many of those countries. But, they don't care nor would their citizen be upset about being on/ off a list as they, unlike Russians, are quite comfortable with the size of their penises.

Yeah, except when make up numbers and facts and then change them when it suits your purpose and you really never got what those facts mean in the first place.

You're a bit of filth between my toes. Don't bother replying to me, your level of dumb makes my head hurt and I'm going to ignore you for a while.
I have given u the info in the video.Flying over the enemy and bombing them is different.Even the DIA report said that the air strike had not degraded the attack capability of ISIS.Plus due to confusion on the ground between all these group and limited real time intel results in lower strikes .The collation strikes what it defines as ISIS not Kurds,Iraqi or SAA .Compare to that Russia have better real time access to intel due to intel sharing and a ground force to take the advantage of the strikes.If really want to stop ISIS ask turkey to stop buying oil from them .It forms a bulk of ISIS revenue.They are playing dangerous game of trying to stop the Kurds and Iran using ISIS. Also there are the Saudi and Qatar that wanted to stop the construction of Iraq Iran Syria pipeline.Then is MOSSAD which trying to fight Iran and Hizbulla in the region which form a bulk of ground strike force against ISIS .Airpower alone never wins a fight.A ground force is needed but the only option is the Kurds which the turks will never agree to.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Syrian militants in panic.

Bonus: "Moderate" Marathon.

Сирия у боевиков паника !!!

pmaitra

Russian jets hit 263 terror targets in Syria in 2 days

Russia started to use 3 times more powerful bombs in Syria laser guided KAB 1500

pmaitra

Yeah, ODAB-500P 500kg thermobaric bomb
Spaciba.

I found this video. Save for the obligatory poke at the end of the video, rest of it is a good technical explanation.

Syria's Dirty Dozen: The ODAB-500 PM

gadeshi

Russian jets hit 263 terror targets in Syria in 2 days

Russia started to use 3 times more powerful bombs in Syria laser guided KAB 1500
There were GLONASS guided KAB-1500S only used.

Отправлено с моего XT1080 через Tapatalk

gadeshi

Mi-24P "a Flying Tank" in Syria:

And a bunch of new airstrikes:

Last edited:

apple

I have given u the info in the video.Flying over the enemy and bombing them is different.Even the DIA report said that the air strike had not degraded the attack capability of ISIS.Plus due to confusion on the ground between all these group and limited real time intel results in lower strikes .The collation strikes what it defines as ISIS not Kurds,Iraqi or SAA .Compare to that Russia have better real time access to intel due to intel sharing and a ground force to take the advantage of the strikes.If really want to stop ISIS ask turkey to stop buying oil from them .It forms a bulk of ISIS revenue.They are playing dangerous game of trying to stop the Kurds and Iran using ISIS. Also there are the Saudi and Qatar that wanted to stop the construction of Iraq Iran Syria pipeline.Then is MOSSAD which trying to fight Iran and Hizbulla in the region which form a bulk of ground strike force against ISIS .Airpower alone never wins a fight.A ground force is needed but the only option is the Kurds which the turks will never agree to.
I quote you official data from the RAAF, and you reply with a couple of short clips from RT that makes some "interesting" claims. You haven't given me any info, you've given me a small piece of propaganda. And what on earth was the humorous video... How are Jihadi's funny, and why do you post video videos on (what's meant to be) a military site mocking Senator (Captain retd.) McCain? That's pretty low.

As for the rest, sure what you say is true. Russian attacks are co-ordinated with, and directed from, ground forces. So have western strikes eg. at Kobani. Syrian army would probably be better in this regard than Kurds, and definitely than Iraqi army or FSA.

As I was saying earlier, that's all the Russians can do. Personally, to paraphrase your "bombing sand" remark of before, I'd guarantee the majority of bombs the Russia's have dropped haven't hurt any humans. Rather, they'd releasing them somewhere near where some ground observer indicates the ISIS side of the "front line" is and they are the ones bombing sand. When a western aircraft releases munitions, it has a target and it, pretty much, always hits it The Russians are solely reliant on ground observers and aren't technically advanced enough to identify targets apart from a trench on the frontline/ vehicles in that vicinity.

Wouldn't blame MOSSAD for anything they did to Arabs, short of nuking Syria or Iran.

Turkey are indeed idiots and their country is pathetic. Don't really know about any pipeline, but understand Saudi Arabia and other Arab "countries" are the only really backers of ISIS. So, agree with you there.

But yeah, I'm going to stop here. I don't accept what you're writing and can't imagine I'll convince you of anything.

Bahamut

I quote you official data from the RAAF, and you reply with a couple of short clips from RT that makes some "interesting" claims. You haven't given me any info, you've given me a small piece of propaganda. And what on earth was the humorous video... How are Jihadi's funny, and why do you post video videos on (what's meant to be) a military site mocking Senator (Captain retd.) McCain? That's pretty low.

As for the rest, sure what you say is true. Russian attacks are co-ordinated with, and directed from, ground forces. So have western strikes eg. at Kobani. Syrian army would probably be better in this regard than Kurds, and definitely than Iraqi army or FSA.

As I was saying earlier, that's all the Russians can do. Personally, to paraphrase your "bombing sand" remark of before, I'd guarantee the majority of bombs the Russia's have dropped haven't hurt any humans. Rather, they'd releasing them somewhere near where some ground observer indicates the ISIS side of the "front line" is and they are the ones bombing sand. When a western aircraft releases munitions, it has a target and it, pretty much, always hits it The Russians are solely reliant on ground observers and aren't technically advanced enough to identify targets apart from a trench on the frontline/ vehicles in that vicinity.

Wouldn't blame MOSSAD for anything they did to Arabs, short of nuking Syria or Iran.

Turkey are indeed idiots and their country is pathetic. Don't really know about any pipeline, but understand Saudi Arabia and other Arab "countries" are the only really backers of ISIS. So, agree with you there.

But yeah, I'm going to stop here. I don't accept what you're writing and can't imagine I'll convince you of anything.
It short video made by info available to the public.Here is a link from a pro west paper
http://www.ibtimes.com/us-air-force...ombs-against-islamic-state-iraq-syria-1777616
Around 500 bombs between October 2014 and Jan 2015 .That is 50% of coalition strikes so the total no is 1000 strike in 100 day that 10 strikes a day.If u have any latest info on the no of bombs dropped not the no of sorties.Then please provide the info.
As for Russian military they are using laser and TV Guided bombs. Unguided bombs are used with Su 34 which has a software that places them within 1 m of target .Post 888 war with Georgia ,Russia went a drastic militarization program.Just look they took Crimea without firing a shot and killing any one.Is NATO capable for doing this.As for Libya it a complete mess,a huge civil war is on which fuels the crisis in North Africa.
As for the pipeline ,Iran Iraq Syria pipeline would in theory take the control of 50 % of oil and gas supply of middle east out of western hand as a result the sanction against Iran will not work as it does not use west control area.The financing was to done by Russian and Chinese and the revenue from the sale of gas was to shared between them. There were talk of Russian,Central Asia and Iran providing gas and oil to India via Iranian port which India is developing. Unfortunately Syria is now just like Ukraine a proxy war.

gadeshi

It short video made by info available to the public.Here is a link from a pro west paper
http://www.ibtimes.com/us-air-force...ombs-against-islamic-state-iraq-syria-1777616
Around 500 bombs between October 2014 and Jan 2015 .That is 50% of coalition strikes so the total no is 1000 strike in 100 day that 10 strikes a day.If u have any latest info on the no of bombs dropped not the no of sorties.Then please provide the info.
As for Russian military they are using laser and TV Guided bombs. Unguided bombs are used with Su 34 which has a software that places them within 1 m of target .Post 888 war with Georgia ,Russia went a drastic militarization program.Just look they took Crimea without firing a shot and killing any one.Is NATO capable for doing this.As for Libya it a complete mess,a huge civil war is on which fuels the crisis in North Africa.
As for the pipeline ,Iran Iraq Syria pipeline would in theory take the control of 50 % of oil and gas supply of middle east out of western hand as a result the sanction against Iran will not work as it does not use west control area.The financing was to done by Russian and Chinese and the revenue from the sale of gas was to shared between them. There were talk of Russian,Central Asia and Iran providing gas and oil to India via Iranian port which India is developing. Unfortunately Syria is now just like Ukraine a proxy war.
1 - Russians use GLONASS guided and unguided bombs most cases. Laser and IR/TV are rare.
2 - Not only Su-34 are capable of laying an unguided bomb in a 5 meters circle, but Su-24M2 and Su-25SM3 as well thanks to a new targetting and navigation computing module SVP-24 and SVP-24-25 respectively.

Bahamut

1 - Russians use GLONASS guided and unguided bombs most cases. Laser and IR/TV are rare.
2 - Not only Su-34 are capable of laying an unguided bomb in a 5 meters circle, but Su-24M2 and Su-25SM3 as well thanks to a new targetting and navigation computing module SVP-24 and SVP-24-25 respectively.

Thanks for the info.Any chance of Ka 52 and Mi 28NM joining Mi 24 in Syria.It will test their capability.What about the performance of Mi 28 by Iraqi.

jouni

What were your sources? Wikipedia? :)
Su-30SM matches 10 Su-27S in battle.
F/A-18A matches 0.3 Su-27 (inferior G rate, T/W ratio, poor radar, inferior maneurability and BWR combat abilities). What can you do to Su-27SM3 with Bars-R radar and optics (we don't even speak about Su-30SM or Su-35)? :)
You have no ESM/ECM capabilities of VKS even close. You have no sane AWACS (only light E-7).
You are just like a pantless white guy in a black block :)
Here is the article...I remembered wrong: advantage to Russia is less than 2:1....they would be swept from the sky.

https://ammattisotilas.wordpress.com/2012/08/22/ilmasodan-lyhyt-oppimaara/

pmaitra

Just look they took Crimea without firing a shot and killing any one.
One minor nitpick. In essence, your post is correct.

Rest in Peace:

Deceased, Ruslan Kazakov, a Cossack, and a member of the Russian Self Defense Force, pictured with his wife.

Deceased, Sergey Kokurin, a Ukrainian soldier.

A Ukrainian soldier looks up standing between the coffins of Ukrainian soldier Sergey Kokurin, 35, right, and Russian Cossack militiaman Ruslan Kazakov, 34, left, during their funeral in Simferopol, Crimea, Saturday, March 22, 2014.

People on motorcycles decorated with Russian and Crimean flags drive in front of a van transporting the coffins of Ukrainian soldier Sergey Kokurin, 35, and Russian Cossack militiaman Ruslan Kazakov, 34, during their funeral in Simferopol, Crimea, Saturday, March 22, 2014.

This incident happened after March 16, 2014, the day of the referendum.

gadeshi

jouni

Shit, man!
Giving us the blog of nobody knows who as an info source is even worth than giving us Vikipedia...
Are you serious???

Funny how I trust more unknown Finnish bloggers, than official Russian sources...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles