Why Germany lost WW2?

bose

Country flag
The first biggest mistake he made was to lie about not invading Poland despite a written promise to the French and Brits. From that time on no non-Axis power would ever trust Hitler again. And the sudden invasion of his own ally the USSR sealed Hitler's fate as an absolute liar, land grabber, ruthless warmonger who will not be satisfied until he gets the whole of Europe under German control. The Aryan race after all was supreme, Jews, Slavs and whoever else are damned.
Yes. Hitler fooled the Brits and French on the Polish invasion ... Brits has also failed in their assessment of Hiler's intention going by his pre war activities, propaganda and hate rate ...

If Hitler had not attacked the Russians with whom he had signed a treaty just a year back, he could have hold on for a longer period of time, the Americans were still reluctant to commit fully into full fledged war in Europe ...

Hitlers greed for territory and false notion of race superiority was its downfall ... Personally I feel Germans got away lightly with 10 Millions or so casualty .... The punishment should have been so heavy no others could think of such misadventure in next 1000 years ...

Knowitall

Listen @Knowitall, if you know nothing about Europe maps after and before WWII , I seriously advice you to contact a moderator and change your handle.
1945 capitulation was worse for Germany than Versailles if you just look at maps.
Maybe you should have read my next post instead of coming here to act all high and mighty.

I already clarified about what I mean by territory and accepted my fault there.

So maybe you should pay a little more attention instead of advising others.

Knowitall

Listen @Knowitall, if you know nothing about Europe maps after and before WWII , I seriously advice you to contact a moderator and change your handle.
1945 capitulation was worse for Germany than Versailles if you just look at maps.
And also names here are generally kept for fun like how your name doesn't make you a tactical frog mine doesn't make me a knowitall

This much even a child will understand.

Tactical Frog

Country flag
Hmm, Hitler was quite successful making alliances with Japan, Italy and securing a pact with USSR. Few other big countries would have been interested joining that club.
Turkey maybe ? That was the only country that could have make a difference against British forces in Middle East.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
1) The map of the German Empire (Pre-WW1):
images (4).jpeg

2) The map of the Weimar Republic (Inter-war years):
1280px-Karte_des_Deutschen_Reiches,_Weimarer_Republik-Drittes_Reich_1919–1937.svg.png

3) The map of Germany Post-WW2:
a) Divided Germany into zones of occupation -
400px-Germany_occupation_zones_with_border.jpg

b) Cold War map of divided East-West Germany -
images (5).jpeg

c) Present unified Germany -
germany-political-map.jpg

As you can see Germany was biggest pre-WW1. Then it lost significant territories after WW1 but interestingly retained East Prussia in the Inter-War years. But after WW2 Germany altogether lost East Prussia which was divided between Poland and USSR (now Soviet's share is under Russia known as Kaliningrad).

So, no, Germany did not recover any pre-WW1 territory after WW2. It's the opposite. In addition, Germany lost 4.5-5 Million soldiers and 635,000 civilians to WW2, not to mention the 180,000 German Jews that the Nazis murdered in the Holocaust. Then when you add in the economic, social and psychological cost to Germany of the war, the price paid by Germans for Hitler's maniacal ideas (I cannot say I symphatize with WW2 Germans since 90+% of them approved Hitler's policies) was simply staggering and crazy.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Aside from paying reparations for WW2 destructions and crimes, post-War Germany still had to pay its WW1 reparations which it did until the 1990s.

Tactical Frog

Country flag
An unique recording of Hitler’s voice , from 1942. I did not even know such a recording existed o_O

Two interesting points :

Hitler stresses the importance of securing oil fields in modern war.
He acknowledges he underestimated the Soviets military industry.

Country flag
Germany (Axis power) lost WW-2 because-
1. Hitler and their strategist couldn't understand the Centre of Gravity in the WW-2.
2. North Africa was the Centre of Gravity of WW-2. After France surrender, Italy and Germany had golden opportunity to block Gibraltar , Swis Canal and dominant over Mediterranean Sea. But they couldn't understand the importance of Malta as well as Britain dependency over sea route.
3. For Germans, Actual line of operation went to North Africa not Britain or Moscow operation.
4. Hitler couldn't understand the importance of Centre location, oil resources and sea routes connectivities of North Africa.
5. Before American assistance to Britain, German had the opportunity to block all shortest sea routes to Gulf region or Asia.
6. Specially selection and maintenance of aim, concentration of force and co-operation like vital principles of war were missing in German operation after France victory.

AmitG

Country flag
Germany lost the war the day they invaded the Soviet Union. The Russian winter decimated the German army just had it had done Napoleon’s. Aside from that the Soviets had a leader who matched Hitler in having no qualms in sacrificing soldiers and civilians as long as objectives were met. Also Germany just didn’t have the industrial capacity to match the allies. The Americans bought unmatched industrial capacity with them.

another_armchair

Country flag
Germany lost the war the day they invaded the Soviet Union. The Russian winter decimated the German army just had it had done Napoleon’s. Aside from that the Soviets had a leader who matched Hitler in having no qualms in sacrificing soldiers and civilians as long as objectives were met. Also Germany just didn’t have the industrial capacity to match the allies. The Americans bought unmatched industrial capacity with them.
The American Mil-Ind capacity during WW-2 was insanely unmatched anywhere.

Doubt China can match up WW-2 US manufacturing levels in case of a full blown war.

USA enjoyed the advantage of being located far away from the area of conflict so their industrial towns remained unscathed throughout the war.

China won't enjoy any such advantage in case of full blown hostilities in SE Asia.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
The invasion of Russia may be illtimed but not wrong . Stalin was waiting out there to take charge of Europe and bite hitler back. Both were maniacs Hitler had to take him down unfortunately winter and war machinery of Germany didn't had enough to take Soviet down.

no smoking

Country flag
Germany (Axis power) lost WW-2 because-
1. Hitler and their strategist couldn't understand the Centre of Gravity in the WW-2.
2. North Africa was the Centre of Gravity of WW-2. After France surrender, Italy and Germany had golden opportunity to block Gibraltar , Swis Canal and dominant over Mediterranean Sea. But they couldn't understand the importance of Malta as well as Britain dependency over sea route.
3. For Germans, Actual line of operation went to North Africa not Britain or Moscow operation.
4. Hitler couldn't understand the importance of Centre location, oil resources and sea routes connectivities of North Africa.
5. Before American assistance to Britain, German had the opportunity to block all shortest sea routes to Gulf region or Asia.
6. Specially selection and maintenance of aim, concentration of force and co-operation like vital principles of war were missing in German operation after France victory.
Germany can't cross <100km wide British channel, but you believe that they can control Mediterranean Sea?

Hitler had a big headach to support <300000 Africa group, but you believe their logistic system can support million soliders fighting to Middle East?

mikael

Country flag
so I am starting this thread to discuss what could be the possible reasons for Nazi Germany defeat in WW2. Members are free to give their opinion or points which they think cause the final downfall of the third Reich or sealed it's fate.

there could be no. of reasons --- which can be further elaborated. anyone can add more points if they want.

• invasion of Soviet Union.
• germany underestimation of Soviet reserve's.
• incompetency of Hitler & German higher command.
• not investing in navy.
• declaring war on US.
• operation Uranus( destruction of 6th army).
•Bagration ( destruction of army group center).
• lack of oil.

In my personal opinion it's was moving Guderian 2nd panzer south for encirclement of Kiev which sealed Wehrmacht fate as it delayed offensive on Moscow & it's captured before winter.

anyone watching this thread. You are free to add your opinion or points you think were responsible for German defeat.
beans and bullets
Germany lost ww2 on sept 3 1939 when british empire entered the polish german war against it

shade

Country flag

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag
I remember reading that one of these chad Aryan ships got btfo by some obsolete Anglo plane carrying a single bomb, while it was hiding in some part of the Norwegian coast.
Korrekt , kamreden.
Bismarck woz baambed by swordfish bombas of ze royal navii.
But it sunk hms hood, the best battleship of royal navy before it went din

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles