Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Kunal Sir,

Is it possible to use the Israeli or DRDO made red-dot used with this AR? I havent witnessed any INSAS with red-dot.
Yes, Its possible to use Israeli mars/DRDO red dot sights with Insas, Modified AK and other rifles in IA..
Insas is regular`s rifle, and Reflex is a delicate equipment and its not resistance to extreme humidity, Water, heat and thick mud..
Besides it need maintenance and cleaning which additional burden on solider, Where Iron Sights are just fine in any weather conditions, So for Regulars Iron sights are the best..

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
does our para sf use any of the scopes mounted over their vz58s ? is it compatable for any type like red dot sight or holographic?

nripesh

i am not able to see the picture, it would be great if you provide link as welll.......................

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
i am not able to see the picture, it would be great if you provide link as welll.......................
Right Click on the pic (which is not opening) and click on open in a new tab (or window)! :)

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
In all pics i had seen marcos carrying ak rifles with fixed stocks as all other special forces opt for the foldable ones....Even regulars are seen very rare with fixed stock ak47...Can any one tell me why they had opt for this type?

pmaitra

In all pics i had seen marcos carrying ak rifles with fixed stocks as all other special forces opt for the foldable ones....Even regulars are seen very rare with fixed stock ak47...Can any one tell me why they had opt for this type?
It was/is a standard practice in Soviet/Russian Army to issue fixed stock AK-74 to their regular units while the foldable stock AK-74U (vertically foldable) and AK-74SU (horizontaly foldable) were issued to special units, like Spetsnaz, Tank Crew and Airborne Units, because they require less space for storage, are easy to carry along and easy to exit and enter through small openings like that of the tank turret etc..

In case of Marcos, it is most likely the same reasons.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
sorry i asked why marcos are given with fixed stock aks....

pmaitra

sorry i asked why marcos are given with fixed stock aks....
Oh I see. Sorry I misunderstood you. Well, it seems they are issued a mix of all kinds of weapons, but they are also issued AKM, AK-103 and AK-74U, the latter two having foldable stocks, which would make perfect sense.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
thanks bro.....would u please tell me whether india is gonna to import more ak rifles for the counter insurgensy units?

pmaitra

thanks bro.....would u please tell me whether india is gonna to import more ak rifles for the counter insurgensy units?
I know that India has been arming their COIN units with RFI (Rifle Factory Ishapore) made AK-74 clones, which are called Assault Rifle 7.62 mm (http://ofbindia.nic.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/21.htm) and also from those confiscated from insurgents. However, I cannot tell whether India has any plans to import them from abroad.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
can anyone tell why m16 is now restricted for only 3 round burst fire eventhough it performs well in automatic also?

pmaitra

can anyone tell why m16 is now restricted for only 3 round burst fire eventhough it performs well in automatic also?
This is a very important question.

M-16 is not a very robust design, has gone through many design modifications since the Vietnam War days and today has a decent degree of reliability although accuracy is extremely good. The earlier M-16s that the US Army used in Vietnam had full auto. However, it is not correct to state that M-16s perform well in full automatic. Actually they do not.

With 5.56 mm bullets, they are too difficult to control. In Vietnam War, US servicemen ended up wasting too many bullets, and many even used to use AK-47s if they could get their hand on one, although it was officially disallowed.

See the video below. You can see from 3:02 onwards, the person is shooting an M-16 Shorty, that has full auto capability but shoots 9 mm Luger bullets, that are less powerful than the regular 5.56 mm bullets. Even then they are difficult to control in full auto mode. You can imagine how difficult they will be with 5.56 mm bullets. Hence, the US Army, correctly, decided to remove the full-auto capability in M-16s and that is the same reason with the Indian INSAS Assault Rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:

maomao

Country flag

Neil

Country flag
if we compare M16 and INSAS which is a better rifle....??

maomao

Country flag
This is a very important question.

M-16 is not a very robust design, has gone through many design modifications since the Vietnam War days and today has a decent degree of reliability although accuracy is extremely good. The earlier M-16s that the US Army used in Vietnam had full auto. However, it is not correct to state that M-16s perform well in full automatic. Actually they do not.

With 5.56 mm bullets, they are too difficult to control. In Vietnam War, US servicemen ended up wasting too many bullets, and many even used to use AK-47s if they could get their hand on one, although it was officially disallowed.

See the video below. You can see from 3:02 onwards, the person is shooting an M-16 Shorty, that has full auto capability but shoots 9 mm Luger bullets, that are less powerful than the regular 5.56 mm bullets. Even then they are difficult to control in full auto mode. You can imagine how difficult they will be with 5.56 mm bullets. Hence, the US Army, correctly, decided to remove the full-auto capability in M-16s and that is the same reason with the Indian INSAS Assault Rifle.

Is this you who is firing the rifles?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I know that India has been arming their COIN units with RFI (Rifle Factory Ishapore) made AK-47 clones, which are called Assault Rifle 7.62 mm (http://ofbindia.nic.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/21.htm) and also from those confiscated from insurgents. However, I cannot tell whether India has any plans to import them from abroad.
Assault Rifle 7.62mm or A-7 is hardly used by IA CT units most A-7 are in CRPF and West Bengal police, Indian Army Annually buy foreign AK-47..

Oh I see. Sorry I misunderstood you. Well, it seems they are issued a mix of all kinds of weapons, but they are also issued AKM, AK-103 and AK-74U, the latter two having foldable stocks, which would make perfect sense.
AKM/AK-47/103 are mainly used by MARCOs and their are almost no other rifle reason is MARCOs work is with water/sand/Humid places, where AK outperform most-most other rifles..

if we compare M16 and INSAS which is a better rifle....??
M-16 have longer barrel, with 5.56mm SS109 rounds it will hit harder with longer range than INSAS, But M-16 have more maintenance than INSAS, Insas internal are very much like AKM...

Last edited:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
can u please tell why ia rejected A7 as it is heard that its an improved akm version and we use even older romanian and german and polish variants without any problems reported ever?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
can u please tell why ia rejected A7 as it is heard that its an improved akm version and we use even older romanian and german and polish variants without any problems reported ever?
I liked the A7 when it was first introduce, gas regulator and other features, don't know why IA use foreign AKs in mass..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles