P-18/Next Generation Destroyer class (NGD)

Adm Kenobi

Country flag
View attachment 169114

Exact timestamp where they showed the NGD. Also NGMV, NGC and LPD with flat top.
Take these with a pinch of salt, likely to be just for representation.

P-75I - not finalized
LPD is Fincantieri's - https://www.fincantieri.com/en/products-and-services/naval-vessels/lhd-20000-t/
MCMV is GSL's that was dumped - https://goashipyard.in/products/product-history/mine-counter-measure-vessel-mcmv/
NG OPV is literally Saryu.

Pictures can be for representational purposes.

swapcv

Country flag
View attachment 169127View attachment 169128

Is it just me or the design highly resembles type 55 silhouette a lot more than any other destroyer out there. Though who knows and NGD might be entirely different coz our shipyards and armed forces are famous at using other design image placeholders.

Broad similarity is simply due to form following function, have a look at the Italian DDX program or even the USN DDX program. It's not some grand conspiracy theory that everyone is copying the Chinese.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The A new Next Generation Destroyer, sometimes dubbed Project 18, is expected to be much larger and provide a further jump in technology by employing directed energy weapons, high power sensors, longer range cruise missiles and hypersonic missiles. Conceptual studies are still underway, but there will be more Indian built content in the newer classes than in prior ones.

Last edited:

Blademaster

Conceptual studies are still underway, but there will be more Indian built content in the newer classes than in prior ones.

What about the engines? Will they be Indian made or imported?

Blood+

Country flag
View attachment 169127View attachment 169128

Is it just me or the design highly resembles type 55 silhouette a lot more than any other destroyer out there. Though who knows and NGD might be entirely different coz our shipyards and armed forces are famous at using other design image placeholders.
Sort of like convergent evolution, like how every crustacean keeps turning into crabs.

Last edited:

Haldilal

Country flag
Imported ofc. In fact, with IEP, there might me more than just the powerplant that is imported. We really need a National Mission on Gas Turbine technology.
But still, the sensors and weapons suite becoming almost all Indian is a big leap for us.
Ya'll Nibbiars some one said the KMGT is being developed but no news.

Haldilal

Country flag
Kaveri Marine isn't powerful enough for destroyers or frigates though. Still, would be great if it came.
Ya'll Nibbiars atleats will power half of the fleets. The PV, OPV, Corvettes, and others support vessels. And till now the Kirloskar makes the Engines for the sub 5,000 tons Vessels under licenses.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The A new Next Generation Destroyer, sometimes dubbed Project 18, is expected to be much larger and provide a further jump in technology by employing directed energy weapons, high power sensors, longer range cruise missiles and hypersonic missiles. Conceptual studies are still underway, but there will be more Indian built content in the newer classes than in prior ones.

That means it’s not coming for at least 15 years

abingdonboy

Country flag
P17 b happening is better than an rushed up ngf , we need more time for ngf and ngd
Haven’t seen anyone from IN mention 17B and even then timelines are a worry. Come 2026 all 17As will be made so if they are going to go for 17Bs they need to make the orders in the next 2 years to ensure seamless production. That’s almost a fantasy

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars How the things are going I would say the Project 18 class if reached the 13,000 Tons and specifications then it's a full fledged Cruiser or a Super Destroyer.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars How the things are going I would say the Project 18 class if reached the 13,000 Tons and specifications then it's a full fledged Cruiser or a Super Destroyer.
What does a cat like yourself Mr haldilal , has to do with a next generation destroyer ?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles