P-18/Next Generation Destroyer class (NGD)

AlphaRaiderZ

Country flag
PROJECT 18:INDIA’S NEXT GENERATION DESTROYER
Project 18 class destroyers will be equipped with advanced systems such as electromagnetic railguns, laser-based close-in weapon systems, advanced AESA and PESA radars, and active and passive array sonars.Kakinda Shipyard in collaboration with Mazgaon docks and L&T will lay keel for the destroyers that will have a displacement of 9000 tonnes. Meanwhile, DRDO in collaboration with Bharat Electronics will be designing the next generation of radar systems. The already developed Air and Missile defence system (AMDS) is being further worked upon. The AESA and PESA are to have extended ranges and possible merger into one multi-band radar. The destroyer will also have an X-band optronic mast detector radar.

For the project, DRDO in collaboration with Bharat Electronics will be designing next generation of radar systems to be incorporated into the planned 18-class. The already developed AMDS will be worked on further. The AESA and PESA radars will see extended ranges, and possible merger into one multi-band radar. The destroyer will also have an X-band optronic mast detector radar.

Project 18-class destroyers will be able to carry enough space for a single utility helicopter. The destroyers will be equipped with advanced UCAVs and UAVs, a possible compact version to be deployed on the destroyers of the EMALS is being worked out.

Project-18 class destroyers will have following armaments
Ballistic missiles and hypersonic Bramhos-II:

The next generation of point missile defense capable of launching Brahmos II will be worked upon.

The Electromagnetic Railgun:
Electromagnetic gun replacing the famed Otobreda of Indian Navy, will be supported with laser based CIWS, in works in LASTEC of DRDO. The warship will be deployed with 300 kW of laser system, capable of shooting down the aerial threats. The planned CIWS will draw inspiration from the present Phalnax CIWS and have its own radar. Indian Army has also expressed interests in the project, for it wishes to mount laser based systems on its combat vehicles. Additionally, the warship will also be equipped with small 100 kW laser based weapon systems with faster charging rates and continuous rate of application.

Laser-based CIWS
It is being developed by DRDO’s Laser Science and Technology Centre, Delhi will employ 300 kW of laser system enough to take out any aerial threat. It will have its own radar. In addition, the warship will have a smaller 100kW laser too.

How will this mega ship be powered?
It will use Integrated Electric Propulsion (IEP). L& T and DRDO will further work on DRDO’s already launched programe GATET for marine propulsion. The planned gas turbine will deliver power up to 36 MW, and destroyer will have 2 of these to deliver a power of 72 MW, in conjugation with 2 diesel generators of 10 MW each and 2 electric propulsion motors of 20 MW. Tata Advanced Systems Ltd. (TASL) which has designed platform, bridge, and Combat Management Systems in the past will work on Diesel generators and motors.

Project-18 aims to launch the lead ship in 2028. DRDO has spared 1.5 billion dollars for the programme from its annual budget.
Replacing the Railguns and 300MW/100MW laser based CIWSs with oto Leonardo 127 and Goalkeeper/Pantsir ME CIWS would've been more realistic.

AlphaRaiderZ

Country flag
Ok the new GRSE and CSL ASW SWC currently uses the RBU-6000 ASW rockets , can they be replaced by VLS launched DRDO S.M.A.R.T weapons system . Since it serves the same role but provides lesser RCS nearly RUR- ASROC like capabilities

scatterStorm

Country flag
View attachment 169127View attachment 169128

Is it just me or the design highly resembles type 55 silhouette a lot more than any other destroyer out there. Though who knows and NGD might be entirely different coz our shipyards and armed forces are famous at using other design image placeholders.
What What's wrong in copying the same design, give them a taste of their own pill. However, P18 must be 12K to 15K ton class, else it would be difficult to carry 112 different variety of ranged missiles. That being said, P18 is still on drawing boards, so yeah, I will take a big chunk of Himalayan Rock Salt.

Last edited:

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
So I'm guessing the AD-1 & AD-2 should be UVLS compatible .
Should be, but the future UVLS is yet to break cover as of now.

Okay so what's the difference b/w NGC and NGMV ? Can you explain . I just started playing a video game on ships and got myself involved into study of ships .
I'm a novice , and i would be grateful if you help me out
Not much is known about the NGC other than that its a slightly larger and more role-balanced ship than the NGMV. NGMV are dedicated to Anti-Surface Warfare and missions like Op Trident. Consequently they are much faster than NGC.

Who's working on quadpacked SAM capabilities, DRDO or L&T . Cause last time I heard , they posted a pic with quad packed launcher albeit in slant launcher configuration rather than VLS . Could it be modified for UVLS capabilities like the mk41
Yeh kab hua? When did that happen?

Ok the new GRSE and CSL ASW SWC currently uses the RBU-6000 ASW rockets , can they be replaced by VLS launched DRDO S.M.A.R.T weapons system . Since it serves the same role but provides lesser RCS nearly RUR- ASROC like capabilities
ASW SWC are too small to carry SMART. Maybe Kamorta class might be refit to carry them, which is a big if. Also, RBU-6000, ASROC and SMART are weapons of completely different roles.

johnj

RBU-6000 is like a defensive weapon & S.M.A.R.T offensive. Replacing RBU-6000 with S.M.A.R.T is like replacing qr-srsam with sm3. IN boats carry RBU-6000, Maareech & torpedo launchers. S.M.A.R.T is like long range ASROC.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
What What's wrong in copying the same design, give them a taste of their own pill. However, P18 must be 12K to 15K ton class, else it would be difficult to carry 112 different variety of ranged missiles. That being said, P18 is still on drawing boards, so yeah, I will take a big chunk of Himalayan Rock Salt.
Nothing wrong, type55 itself is based on arleigh Burke weapons and sensors placement philosophy. Let some official P18 design come out, we all might be having a run here for nothing.

AlphaRaiderZ

Country flag
Maybe an Unpopular opinion but if I were Indian Navy i would've divided the p-18 project into 3 halves :

*P-18 - (4 in no.s)7400 ton displacement destroyers(same as 15b class) but exhibiting a stealthier design , maybe something like this

But not wasting space on deck by increasing the no. Of Brahmos and SAM UVLS cells like Kolkata and Visakhapatnam class
1663402636647.png

Next
P-18A - (6 in no.) The new generation and design of ships of displacement 12-13k tons competiting against the type 055 with newer 127mm NG oto leonardo and Pantsir ME CIWS and hypersonic missiles

Future : P-18B destroyers of 15k tons . The final future plan . Maybe the Railguns and laser project would've been completed by then and we can implement them

Timelines depends.
But my vision is to establish enough ships for 3 Carrier Strike Groups if INS Vishal becomes a thing

Last edited:

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Maybe an Unpopular opinion but if I were Indian Navy i would've divided the p-18 project into 3 halves :

*P-18 - (4 in no.s)7400 ton displacement destroyers(same as 15b class) but exhibiting a stealthier design , maybe something like this

But not wasting space on deck by increasing the no. Of Brahmos and SAM UVLS cells like Kolkata and Visakhapatnam class
View attachment 171904

Next
P-18A - (6 in no.) The new generation and design of ships of displacement 12-13k tons competiting against the type 055 with newer 127mm NG oto leonardo and Pantsir ME CIWS and hypersonic missiles

Future : P-18B destroyers of 15k tons . The final future plan . Maybe the Railguns and laser project would've been completed by then and we can implement them

Timelines depends.
But my vision is to establish enough ships for 3 Carrier Strike Groups if INS Vishal becomes a thing
Railguns aren't happening anytime this half of the century. Lasers might though.
Our P-18 is likely going to be what you described the P-18A as, but with indigenous CIWS instead of Pantsir and indigenous 127mm SRGM instead of Oto Merla.

BTW, now that I think about it, is the Indian Navy appears to not be "utilizing the deck space to pack in more VLS in existing designs" due to some damage control consideration?

flanker99

Country flag
Railguns aren't happening anytime this half of the century. Lasers might though.
Our P-18 is likely going to be what you described the P-18A as, but with indigenous CIWS instead of Pantsir and indigenous 127mm SRGM instead of Oto Merla.

BTW, now that I think about it, is the Indian Navy appears to not be "utilizing the deck space to pack in more VLS in existing designs" due to some damage control consideration?
Not really a person who worked in USN commented that the railgun us developed is more or less ready for service but its the USN who isnt interested in the project anymore..so if the need arises they can get it running in a couple of years

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Facebook comment saar...Indian mil guys will have a heart attack if u see the things USN guys(both active and retired) discuss in fb groups
Btw this pic was also posted by him at that group its in USNI building not open to public

View attachment 171917
Seen this pic before. But even so, the program is no longer funded by US mil because despite all the R&D, no good solution for the rail materials was found and there were bottlenecks developing guided rounds for the same. Even if they sort how to power the damn thing. It needs to provide some actual tactical advantage over a chemical gun or its not worth it. Don't see them solving the rail material challenge next couple of decades at least. Maybe post-2050...

flanker99

Country flag
Seen this pic before. But even so, the program is no longer funded by US mil because despite all the R&D, no good solution for the rail materials was found and there were bottlenecks developing guided rounds for the same. Even if they sort how to power the damn thing. It needs to provide some actual tactical advantage over a chemical gun or its not worth it. Don't see them solving the rail material challenge next couple of decades at least. Maybe post-2050...
I was the one who posted it here before
The barrel erosion is within acceptable lv and zumwalts and burke fl3 can power the railgun without much problem but the cost was going to be too high initially and USN wants 100km + range so they canned the project
Source is same guy

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
I was the one who posted it here before
The barrel erosion is within acceptable lv and zumwalts and burke fl3 can power the railgun without much problem but the cost was going to be too high initially and USN wants 100km + range so they canned the project
Source is same guy
Hmm.. the rails being the limiting factor was stated in an official report to US Congress in 2018. Maybe they have found a lasting solution and this is subterfuge? Or maybe the guy is not considering things from an operational point of view and only considering it from an engineering point of view. Lets see how it turns out. Their DDG(X) doesn't have railgun either right now. Lets see if this changes.

flanker99

Country flag
Hmm.. the rails being the limiting factor was stated in an official report to US Congress in 2018. Maybe they have found a lasting solution and this is subterfuge? Or maybe the guy is not considering things from an operational point of view and only considering it from an engineering point of view. Lets see how it turns out. Their DDG(X) doesn't have railgun either right now. Lets see if this changes.
Here's the post with images if can dig deep enough maybe u will find his other comments...the group is really easy to get into.

Articles