Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

BunBunCake

oh the Arjun would never be dumped..it should never be dumped....def going to be our first choice MBT in future...
No it wont, because we already bought those 1900 T-90's. And don't tell me Arjun's going to be the FMBT.
What we should be doing now is... developing Arjun. LEARNING Technologies!

Then work fledged on the FMBT, only this time NO delays, no junkys! We'll learn from our mistakes in Arjun.

san

No it wont, because we already bought those 1900 T-90's. And don't tell me Arjun's going to be the FMBT.

Then work fledged on the FMBT, only this time NO delays, no junkys! We'll learn from our mistakes in Arjun.
T90 with melting electronics and Arjun with laser and star war technology both will be our FMBT:)

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

1900 T-90s? I thought it was 1,400. If T-90M is going to be the FMBT India will be buying much French equipment.

BunBunCake

1900 T-90s? I thought it was 1,400. If T-90M is going to be the FMBT India will be buying much French equipment.
My bad, it must be 1,400.
Yes, but see again. If you buy from Russia, we aren't going anywhere. Screw what you just said :D I want DRDO to develop this FMBT! Otherwise i'll mock them for life!

Us buying the T-90M won't get us full TOT, therefore we won't be having those future technologies. We'll be lagging behind even more!.

(dude, are you french or Indian btw, just curious)
Bonjour?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
T-90S/M are good tanks, they are good as long as they are not compare with Arjun ( Technically )..
Respect IA for choosing T-90 and Arjun as future MBT..
Also dont fall for media BS!!
This forum is not Russian or the American or anyone else this is INDIAN!

p2prada

Their are many speculation abt engines which can be polish or Russian..
Then we have to wait for this information.

Forget the 2000 trilas the Arjun induction and being a fav machine in IA is because of recent ones..
T-90S was meant to be Army replacement for T-72 but as gradually Russian Raw material costs raised and by then army already ordered some 600+ tanks, it was impossible to go back so T-90 is still meant to replace all T-72 and more Arjun will be induced after Avadi finished with T-90s..
Avadi will take 10 more years to finish with the T-90. If major Arjun inductions happen after that, then I am all for it. Right now, it only serves to distract the army from other troubling events like failing grenades and getting better weapons and equipment for the infantry. There is also the question of Helicopter Gunships. Why force the Army to waste funds on tanks when there are more lucrative equipment to induct.

Preparation are done in Army HQs, future of IA is all abt T-90 & Arjuns..
Regarding Transportation i have mentioned in my earlier post..
Yes. If the Arjun inductions happen after the 2015 period when we have already kicked out the obsolete T-72s, then I am game.

It is silly to ask the army to induct a second set of tanks when they already have a 1000 extra tanks in the pipeline until 2020.

U dont know much abt Army do you? :)
Its nothing to do with 'extra personnel and extra pay' that extra solider was doing his general duties when the regt was operation T-tanks now he will be act as a loader, Its a good news!!
I will take your word for it.

6 regt is huge!!
If u know how thing work..

I asked u before where the most T-55s are stationed now, and why they are still in business?
If u find out, u will understand the purchase of Light tanks..
Definitely not in Kashmir and the NE. That's where most of our new light tanks will be headed.

As of today India has 400+ operational, modified T-55s. Once they are gone, they will be replaced with modified T-72s and T-90s and not the light tanks that we are inducting.

It does not matter where the T-55s are active as of now. The question is where the light tanks will be active and definitely not where the T-55s are. Not to mention 400 Vijayantas fall in the same category. So, a total of 1000 tanks will be replaced with 300 tanks. See the point, the numbers don't match up. The light tanks are for a different need compared to the existing need for the T-55s and the Vijayantas. Also, the initial requirement is 100 tanks and not 300.

The T-55s are being replaced with T-72M1s while the older T-72s are being replaced by T-90s.

These ERAs are non-detachable!
All ERA is detachable. T-90s have been tested for multiple hits and the ERA has been replaced after each hit every time. ERA is meant to be detachable because their shelf life is the same as ammunition. ERA is a type of ammunition too.

1KW is a joke. The radar of LCA takes 10 times more power than that, much less the rest of her avionics. Western tanks have APUs generating in the 20KW range. There is a reason for it. There are several scopes, sensors, transmit/receive antennas, radios, monitors, warning receivers, AC, navigation, battle management, and any equipment you might need charged. Least of all not forgetting to keep enough power to charge a 230kg power pack.
Joke of the century. LCA radars will not go above 1KW and with average power at 500W.
The Su-30MKK that China uses has a radar that has a peak power of only 3.5KW.

Western tanks have powerful APU in order to move the turret and shoot.

A superior APU means a superior tank 99% of the time as it isn't running. The APU is used not only in a defencive posture, but makes maintenance far easier as you do not have to hook the batteries up to recharge the power pack. If your tank breaks down that only requires a few hours fix, you do not have to have a recovery vehicle tow your ass back to the nearest jack as you can recharge your own batteries. A cavalry charge deep into the heart of Pakistan still requires an APU. You will not defeat them in one day. Tanks will still be sitting idle and you will receive PA counter attacks. IA cannot transport enough fuel to keep 1000 tanks running 24/7 with the addition of all other vehicles. There will be supply lines whose job it is for tanks to guard, they will sit idle.
Advantages are many. But requirement does not exist as of now.

You can't even get all jawans with night vision goggles and you talking about completely networked forces.
The sole reason why I want the IA to pursue better things in life rather than go for a second tank. Tanks wins battles, Infantry wins wars. Better guns, better equipment and trying to increase an infantry man's survivability are better goals than a second tank that does not give a capability boost.

India's network isn't for offensive but defensive. Once the troops cross into Pakistan they will be out of reach of India's secure communications network and have to rely on low bandwidth LOS microwave transmitters. It is only enough for secure digital communications between leadership and maybe some compressed photo sets or small video streams from UAVs. To network 300,000 troops operating in enemy territory you will need a dozen of the latest SATCOMs and much higher bandwidth for mobile M/W transmit/recieve stations. Unless of course you plan on going so slow you have enough time to lay fibre optic cables. lol
Sorry. You got that wrong. Our C3I systems are easily among the best in the world. Our CP moves with the Corps. Even NATO does not compare to us in that field. We have a lot of equipment that gives round the clock information security. Satellites are a tiny part of the system and even other militaries are working to get them. We will get them soon too.

It would be silly if a Pak SAM shot down a $10m SAR UAV. Pak Army is not the Taliban with nothing but HMGs or AKMs to shoot them down. In fact, Pakistan's crap air defence is ideal for shooting down any UAV India has. What will you do when UAVs are shot down faster than you recover them? So don't cling to UAV's as the force equaliser as it is like shooting your own foot.
Look at the entire picture. Our air force is superior. We will soon get multiple squadrons of Gunships and maybe UCAVS in the future. UAVs and ICAVs will only be a small part of the entire system.

Russia hasn't provided ToT for modifications. You really are naive about what license production of a tank entails. Russia does not give enough ToT for you to copy or modify the electronics, you just make the hull and some mechanisation parts. The AC is not even Russian, it is Israeli. Of course you will not have the slightest idea how to replace or modify a Catherine FC. If you modify anything you void the maintenance contract. Of course your T-90s do not have APUs, you would need to consult with Russia to add one. That is why it is nice to have an indigenous tank like Arjun that you can let DRDO test their equipment with. You can't do that with the T-90s without consulting Russia, then if you screw with the 3rd party equipment Russia then has to consult with them.
The conditions Arjun faced were worse in 2000 when the whole world was against us. We had sanctions remember. Do you thing the Arjun was such a viable investment when everything it was made with came from either Germany or Israel. FCS, Engines, Transmissions, Brakes, Tracks and a million other parts. The Arjun was the worst choice in the world. The T-90 was nearly sanction proof in comparison.

It didn't take 12 years, MTU didn't start tropicalising them until 2007 after the Arjun broke down during trials. India had to order it first. You can blame your own penny pinching bureaucracy for that.
It started in 2003-04, not 2007. Earler it was DRDO trying to fix the existing engines which were procured before 1998. Arjun had no future. Atleast ADA came out with their own technology for the LCA as a replacement. Without foreign assistance any of our current projects were a failure. The Army always looks at the big picture, who wouldn't when nearly everything in the tank was bought and assembled from outside.

The point IA made was the same thing we are saying for our MRCA when we say the US fighter will be sanctioned. All of electronics in the Arjun was sanctioned. Even the engines and tracks were sanctioned. The project got a breath of life only in 2003 after many of the sanctions were lifted. Only France provided electronics and that brought about the Russian-French cooperation for the Catherine. India benefited from this even though sanctions were in place. Everything else in T-90 was Russian or from Eastern Europe(Sanction proof).

Blame that on defective engines.
Right! When there are nearly 40000 tanks running around the world based on Russian engines. You have no clue as to what is good or what is bad. There are more Russian tanks in the world than there are Western combined. Funny how nobody is complaining.

The Matis Pakistan is getting is the standard version with detection at 13km and recognition at 6km. http://www.sagem-ds.com/pdf/en/D1232.pdf

The Matis LR detects at 18km and recognises at 10km. http://www.sagem-ds.com/pdf/en/D1235.pdf

They are usually commander sights used for spotting, while the Catherine series is generally used as a gunner's sight. Although, the Matis can be used for fire control. I am not sure which Pakistan is using it for. If it is for a gunnery sight, the T-90 would have a serious problem.
Well, then we will discuss them once the contract is signed.

How can you replace it when you do not make it? You going to replace it with an empty brick when Russia can't deliver on time?
You are basing this on speculation that Russia will not provide any kind of license manufacturing rights. I can say that Russia already has. That will not take us anywhere.

Which is why India has the OFB... no ERA there.
DRDO makes ERA. ERA have been added to T-72s.

http://www.drdo.org/explosive.html
The ERA technology has met all the requirements of the user and was accepted for introduction into the Indian Army. The production of ERA panels has commenced in the Ordnance factories.
Time already told, they did not transfer ERA ToT.
We don't need ToT for license manufacture.

Phalcon only tracks 100 targets, it has less processing power than JSTARS. Phalcons flying 100km inside Indian territory will not be able to pick up anything on the ground of the Pak side. It can't even pick up a terrain hugging cruise missile at 100km. It is an L-Band radar, not an X-band which means lower power output. India's is a passive AEW platform, nothing more.
The 100 figure on Phalcon is for airborne targets while 600 on J-Stars is for ground targets. The processing on the Phalcon far outweighs the J-Stars. You can figure it out by just calculating the amount of thrust the 2 aircraft give out. There is a reason why the 4 engines on the Phalcon has twice the thrust than what the J-Stars gives out when both are more or less the same loaded weight.

Funny how you came up with the word "passive." LOL.
What is that supposed to mean? Does the US have "active" AWACS then. I am sure this has nothing to do with the antennas. :)

Mobile SAM uses a radar, which is far easier to detect than its RCS backed against immediate ground clutter.
Huh! Phalcons are the best operational radars flying to date in an airforce. It is capable of picking up a person walking on the ground. If you find it hard to believe go ask the Israelis. The SAR capability on the Phalcon is nearly 1m, both men and tanks are a bit taller than 1m. It means anything above a metre above the ground is detectable by the Phalcon. Go read up on SAR.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Joke of the century. LCA radars will not go above 1KW and with average power at 500W.
That one is going in my signature.

I'm not going to bother rebutting the rest of this silly conversion. You don't have a clue...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Avadi will take 10 more years to finish with the T-90. If major Arjun inductions happen after that, then I am all for it. Right now, it only serves to distract the army from other troubling events like failing grenades and getting better weapons and equipment for the infantry. There is also the question of Helicopter Gunships. Why force the Army to waste funds on tanks when there are more lucrative equipment to induct.
Their is no problems with funds but its the paper-world!

Yes. If the Arjun inductions happen after the 2015 period when we have already kicked out the obsolete T-72s,
It is silly to ask the army to induct a second set of tanks when they already have a 1000 extra tanks in the pipeline until 2020.
Army have around +3000 tanks which include T-72 & T-90S also T-55s, By 2015-17 Almost all T-72,T-55s & early 300 T-90s should be phased out, Indian Army by then will have Arjun MK-1 and T-90S/M as MBT, The last 300 T-90s are worthy to have with the newer T-90M manufactured inside the country, Arjun is presently most formidable MBT, hence it will be induced in Strike forces!

Definitely not in Kashmir and the NE. The T-55s are being replaced with T-72M1s while the older T-72s are being replaced by T-90s.
The northern command MBT is T-55, The most no is in Kashmir and the second is in Arunachal & Assam, How many its not important on Internet..
IA was not satisfied with T-55 performance in high-altitude ( Publish on Sanik samachar ) therefore the were kept behind the lines, ( off-topic not to mention abt Arty too )
Light tanks will be our life saver in possible conflicts over NE..

All ERA is detachable. T-90s have been tested for multiple hits and the ERA has been replaced after each hit every time. ERA is meant to be detachable because their shelf life is the same as ammunition. ERA is a type of ammunition too.
These ERAs (K-5) are welded with turret they are not bolted..

p2prada

modular??

i said it in my post, T-90 is improved. but how much??
Way better than the T-72. The T-90 is a modular design. Less can be done compared to the Arjun because the chassis is smaller than the Arjun's.

it all boils down to how much time is taken to replace the engine. i have given figures for T-72M1 (24hrs/12hrs - peace/war time). i gave links to support Arjun's replacement in under 2 hrs too.

would be glad to hear how much a T-90 takes to replace it's engine??
The engine is in a panel behind the turret. I don't know the exact time. But the days of 24 hrs and 12 hours is over for the T-90. Earlier it used to take hours to remove the turret and replace the engine and then install the turret again. Now the turret part is gone, it remains untouched because it is welded unlike before.

besides i like to be enlightened on this too. avionics in an LCA has many systems -

are you saying all this is accomplished in 2kw?? an ALQ 99 jamming pod requires 6.8kw!!
you want people to beleive it!! sorry.
It is not unbelievable if you read a bit of what we already have. The LCA's radar will have an average power rating of 500W.

There is a reason why the BARS is seen as a deadly threat by everybody.

LCA will not carry high powered Jammers. This belongs to heavier aircraft with 2 engines.

That one is going in my signature.

I'm not going to bother rebutting the rest of this silly conversion. You don't have a clue...
That's why you are an idiot. Do you know what the 400 in RC-400 means? This is the same thing that is used in export Mirage-2000s. The 400 means 400W, nothing else.

These ERAs (K-5) are welded with turret they are not bolted..
Then they may have found a good way to extend the life of ERA though I hardly believe it to be true.

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
That's why you are an idiot. Do you know what the 400 in RC-400 means? This is the same thing that is used in export Mirage-2000s. The 400 means 400W, nothing else.
That one is going in the signature too. Mirage-2000 radar is the RDY-3. Power consumption is 4 KW.

Last edited:

p2prada

My bad, they are bolted..

Nice Pic. I have never seen it.

That one is going in the signature too. Mirage-2000 radar is the RDY-3. Power consumption is 4 KW.
Like I said. You keep proving yourself to be an idiot time and time again, ever since our Brahmos discussion you have been consistent.

Since you like Links so much, here is one which will interest you.

http://www.thalesgroup.com/Portfolio/Aerospace/Aerospace_Product_RC400/

RC 400 KEY FEATURES

"¢ Modular design
"¢ Light weight: <120 kg
"¢ Low power consumption: 3.5 kVA
"¢ Different antenna sizes available
High average transmitted power: 400 W
"¢ Up-to-date signal processing technologies
"¢ COTS components for obsolescence protection
"¢ 1553 Bus
"¢ Advanced ECCM features
"¢ Very Low False Alarm Rate
"¢ Flexibility and growth potential
"¢ Efficient BITE and maintenance concept for reduced manpower and life cycle cost

PS: Keep the signatures as it is and a link to this particular post too. It proves your stupidity.
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Like I said. You keep proving yourself to be an idiot time and time again, ever since our Brahmos discussion you have been consistent.

Since you like Links so much, here is one which will interest you.

http://www.thalesgroup.com/Portfolio/Aerospace/Aerospace_Product_RC400/

RC 400 KEY FEATURES

"¢ Modular design
"¢ Light weight: <120 kg
"¢ Different antenna sizes available
High average transmitted power: 400 W
"¢ Up-to-date signal processing technologies
"¢ COTS components for obsolescence protection
"¢ 1553 Bus
"¢ Advanced ECCM features
"¢ Very Low False Alarm Rate
"¢ Flexibility and growth potential
"¢ Efficient BITE and maintenance concept for reduced manpower and life cycle cost

PS: Keep the signatures as it is and a link to this particular post too. It proves your stupidity.
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

3.5 kVa is = to 2.1 KW

Max power consumption is 4 KW

http://www.deagel.com/Aircraft-Warners-and-Sensors/RDY-3_a002199001.aspx

Transmitted power does not equal power consumed moron.

Agantrope

You made my day my man, I too gonna have it has my signature :).

With 500W really one can plug nothing. I am a Electronics and Electrical Student. I know what alone the power loss will be in a radar. I want to take a break because of this. i want take a room in hotel and laugh on this sentence.

A normal Jammer alone will require atleast 200W on a small scale.

See this link, which is used in a normal car and it is 200W. http://radar-jammers-detectors.net/m100.htm

Buddy you are going crazy to save our *ss on this thread.

ppgj

Way better than the T-72. The T-90 is a modular design.
you missed my posts. i have myself said T-90S is improved over T-72. modular?? i don't agree.

Less can be done compared to the Arjun because the chassis is smaller than the Arjun's.
there is a reason when people call T-90S is a flawed and obsolete design. it has nothing to do with the chassis!! simply Russians never thought of futuristic upgrades. they always thought "quantity" as an advantage as opposed to "quality". instead of a MLU, they would just go for a brand new one.

why a T-90S can't be serviced easily and upgraded easily with modern system is because of that. it needs a vision for future. lack of space, lack of basic armour, lack of crew comfort etc...this they realised and tried correcting when they got on to T-95!!! bad for them they could not.

The engine is in a panel behind the turret. I don't know the exact time. But the days of 24 hrs and 12 hours is over for the T-90. Earlier it used to take hours to remove the turret and replace the engine and then install the turret again. Now the turret part is gone, it remains untouched because it is welded unlike before.
i agree it is welded turret and does not need as much time as a T-72M1 engine replacement. but how much of an improvement?? by 2 hrs, 3hrs??

It is not unbelievable if you read a bit of what we already have. The LCA's radar will have an average power rating of 500W.
ok. i don't have LCA MMR specs. but i have for EL 2032 RADAR which more or less matches LCA MMR. here -

http://www.iai.co.il/sip_storage/FILES/6/27546.pdf

power consumption : 2-3 KVA. amounting to 1.6-2.4 kw!!!

hope that clarifies your point.

and please don't get confused between "power consumption" to "transmitted power".

There is a reason why the BARS is seen as a deadly threat by everybody.

LCA will not carry high powered Jammers. This belongs to heavier aircraft with 2 engines.
does not still answer your 2kw consumption for all the avionics inside LCA assertion!!!

it will carry an ELTA jammer or drdo RWJ. time will tell.

Last edited:

p2prada

3.5 kVa is = to 2.1 KW

Max power consumption is 4 KW

http://www.deagel.com/Aircraft-Warners-and-Sensors/RDY-3_a002199001.aspx

Transmitted power does not equal power consumed moron.
Elementary mistakes.

Transmitted power and power consumption are different from Power SUPPLIED. And that's where you are making your mistakes.

First you need to understand the difference between KVA and KW. Then you need to figure out the relation between the two.

KVA is the apparent power and it is a theoretical value that is calculated on resistive loads which gives a real figure as well as an imaginary figure( X + jY ). KW is the real power consumed.

The relationship is KVA * pf = KW. Where pf is the power factor of the radar.

In your calculation you took pf as 60%. That is wrong. pf in radars is less than 20%. Say 15%.

So, 4KVA * .15 = 600W. Even if you take 20%, which is realistically very high the power is still 800W.

Now you know. Figure out the rest on your own. The problem why people make such mistakes is because VA also means W because the units look the same. People see KVA and call it KW instead. Big difference.

@ppgj, Like I said, the T-90 engine is quicker to replace by a huge margin. It should be the same as the Arjun now. It takes hours to remove the turret rather than engine on the T-72.

Also, other electronics on aircraft use DC power, like processors use around 6-10W, display processors will use 20-30W, cooling fans use 6-12W etc. Even the fly by wire uses DC power which does not exceed 100W. Then HuD etc will not exceed 30-40W. Your 31" LCD TV with a 1060p resolution consumes only 120W so a 640*480 displays will be significantly lesser. pf factor for all DC electronics will be around 90-95%, except Fly by wire, which will be near 50%.

Combine your communication gear and Jammer, the power needs will be within 2KW.

So, it comes down to the point I was trying to make. The T-90 does not have fly by wire, jammer and radar. So, a 1KW APU is huge for a tank with digital electronics. Also, T-90 does not have hunter killer capability, but we make it up with a far superior situational awareness. The Pakistanis don't have the assets to detect our tanks quickly, but we do. We can detect Pakistani tanks way beyond the tanks engagement areas. Combine that with gunships and UCAVs we don't need APUs we just need a good comm system to tell the tanks to power up and then deliver an image to tank commanders on exact locations of Pakistani tanks in real time. We have achieved a fair bit of such technology and was shown to us in previous public displays.

@Agantrope
I recommend taking a girl along. It may get boring.

macintosh

Guys no need to get personal. You can always make your point without using words like stupid/moron. Using these words just shows your desperation and a condescending attitude.

ppgj

@ppgj, Like I said, the T-90 engine is quicker to replace by a huge margin.
unfortunately you are not backing up your claim.

It should be the same as the Arjun now.
IOW 45 minutes to under 2 hrs??? really???

It takes hours to remove the turret rather than engine on the T-72.
agree.

Also, other electronics on aircraft use DC power, like processors use around 6-10W, display processors will use 20-30W, cooling fans use 6-12W etc. Even the fly by wire uses DC power which does not exceed 100W. Then HuD etc will not exceed 30-40W. Your 31" LCD TV with a 1060p resolution consumes only 120W so a 640*480 displays will be significantly lesser. pf factor for all DC electronics will be around 90-95%, except Fly by wire, which will be near 50%.

Combine your communication gear and Jammer, the power needs will be within 2KW.
lets agree to disagree on this.

So, a 1KW APU is huge for a tank with digital electronics.
only APS needs 1kw!!! you still need to power the thermals/gps/laser designator/communication/bms etc..

every modern tank including pakistan's T-84 carries a minimum 18kw APU which does not include an AC unit. if you include the AC unit, then the needs would be of the order of about 30kw subject to finding space for both AC and APU. the fact that IA is grappling is because of the obsoleteness of the tank. money is no issue. an APU/AC costs peanuts. but where is the space?? it is a huge engineering effort. i gave a link in my earlier post.

if T-90S needs to be as modern as T-84, it will need a similar APU/1200hp engine/APS.

only hope DRDO scientists will find some way for making our brave soldiers' life a lot more comfortable.

Also, T-90 does not have hunter killer capability, but we make it up with a far superior situational awareness.
hunter killer ability is more to do with intel, hide and engage tactics based on recon intel. in this age UAVs provide the streaming info of the battlescene to the individual tanks. patience is the word when these tanks sit idle and wait for enemy to come in the shoot zone and take him out!!

an APU is one of the most important factor that makes this happen. think a tank with switched off main engine but yet operational in every sense of the word!!

another being the BMS, which presents a complete picture down to eack individual tank!!! think how formidable that would be!!!

unfortunate that T-90S's space constraints to modernise make them only vulnerable, ineffective and costly in operations besides loss of lives. the fact that they are underpowered will not even give them an opportunity to escape.

The Pakistanis don't have the assets to detect our tanks quickly, but we do. We can detect Pakistani tanks way beyond the tanks engagement areas.
pakistan supposedly has BMS on its tanks. i have read it somewhere though i can't vouch for it on its veracity!! will link it when i get it.

pakistan has UAVs and they just inducted their own AEW aircraft from SAAB group recently!!

a T-84/Al Khalid tank with a 1200 hp engine with APU/APS/same armour and an ability to do all a T-90 can do - will make them a formidable force!!

you are underestimating Pakistan's capability. besides, that point is no justification for an inferior tank IA has!!!

Combine that with gunships and UCAVs we don't need APUs we just need a good comm system to tell the tanks to power up and then deliver an image to tank commanders on exact locations of Pakistani tanks in real time. We have achieved a fair bit of such technology and was shown to us in previous public displays.
pakistan's sole idea since its inception - is, not only to defend themselves but to inflict heavy cost on india. they never waver from that thought. so if i were the IA, i would always look at the "worst case scenario".

Last edited:

p2prada

unfortunately you are not backing up your claim.
Why would I. It is logical that once the turret is removed out of the equation, then things change. An engine weighs 1 ton, turret weighs 15 tons. It used to take 7 to 8 hours just to remove the turret. The T-90 engine is lighter than the Arjun's too.

IOW 45 minutes to under 2 hrs??? really???
Could be. Engine replacement takes that long anyway.

only APS needs 1kw!!! you still need to power the thermals/gps/laser designator/communication/bms etc..

every modern tank including pakistan's T-84 carries a minimum 18kw APU which does not include an AC unit. if you include the AC unit, then the needs would be of the order of about 30kw subject to finding space for both AC and APU. the fact that IA is grappling is because of the obsoleteness of the tank. money is no issue. an APU/AC costs peanuts. but where is the space?? it is a huge engineering effort. i gave a link in my earlier post.
Everything associated with tanks is a huge engineering effort. Now, I can claim the LCA is a massive engineering effort. It is true. But is it impossible. It was a huge engineering effort to build the Arjun too, bigger than just fixing an AC on the T-90. Don't fall for media statements. Nothing is unachievable. By the way, Russia has designed an AC for the T-90, installed and tested too. It just wasn't enough for us.

The T-80 is smaller than the T-90 and it still managed to find space for an APU.

if T-90S needs to be as modern as T-84, it will need a similar APU/1200hp engine/APS.
European engines and electronics that is not French will be sanctioned. The very reason why the T-90s have mainly Russian components.

hunter killer ability is more to do with intel, hide and engage tactics based on recon intel. in this age UAVs provide the streaming info of the battlescene to the individual tanks. patience is the word when these tanks sit idle and wait for enemy to come in the shoot zone and take him out!!
That time is over.

an APU is one of the most important factor that makes this happen. think a tank with switched off main engine but yet operational in every sense of the word!!
Then it is a sitting duck when a Gunship zooms past at 200 kmph. You cannot use your engine smoke, you cannot perform evasive maneuvers. You cannot even hide.

another being the BMS, which presents a complete picture down to eack individual tank!!! think how formidable that would be!!!
T-90s will have an Israeli BMS, maybe BEL too.

unfortunate that T-90S's space constraints to modernise make them only vulnerable, ineffective and costly in operations besides loss of lives. the fact that they are underpowered will not even give them an opportunity to escape.
T-80 is smaller.

pakistan supposedly has BMS on its tanks. i have read it somewhere though i can't vouch for it on its veracity!! will link it when i get it.
Yes they do. It is either a Chinese Pakistani development or a fully Pakistani one.

pakistan has UAVs and they just inducted their own AEW aircraft from SAAB group recently!!
We have planes that actually kill.

a T-84/Al Khalid tank with a 1200 hp engine with APU/APS/same armour and an ability to do all a T-90 can do - will make them a formidable force!!
The T-90 composite armour is more modern. The ERA is the same on T-90S but will be a different ball game once the T-90M rolls out.

you are underestimating Pakistan's capability. besides, that point is no justification for an inferior tank IA has!!!
The Pakistanis have faster deployment time and only that matters. Our armour is better, while firepower is the same. But they beat us in reaching the battle first. Luckily their air force sucks so bad they cannot take advantage of our slowness.

pakistan's sole idea since its inception - is, not only to defend themselves but to inflict heavy cost on india. they never waver from that thought. so if i were the IA, i would always look at the "worst case scenario".
Arjun does not help in such cases. The deployment time of Arjun will be longer than the T-90.

The biggest problem you face is you are only looking at 5 years from now and not 10 or 15 or 20 years from now.

Times have changed drastically. What we currently have is simply overkill against the Pakistanis. We are capable of completely sanitising a 10000 sq km area electronically. We have satellites, we have better aircraft, we have better training, we have better funds and most of all we have better technology. Our technology is atleast a decade ahead of anything the Pakistanis have at the moment, courtesy Israel. We have been developing killer systems with them, we have been inducting decent stuff from France too. So, what do the Pakistanis have against our technological superiority.........APU?????

APU is passe, tank warfare is closing and will end in the future, at least heavy tanks. The future belongs to information. The future of armour is this:

and this:

And this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCT_Ground_Combat_Vehicle_Program

Tanks are passe. The future will be small, light and efficient vehicles. The US is already ahead in the game, Israel also wants to join the program and they want a tank that is 3 times lighter than the Merkava M4.

More importantly, all future tanks will not work on hit survivability(Arjun) they will work on hit avoidance(T-72).

Check the caption on top of this picture:

All the tanks are 16-20 tons and that's the future, after the M1 Abrams are retired.

This is from the cancelled FCS program. But the US have started a new program and the first prototype will be out in 2015.

That's why the IA has been cribbing for new generation tanks instead of just focussing on obsolete fighting methods.

Global Defence

Articles