Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

p2prada

Why don't you learn to read what has already been posted? How many times do I have to prove you wrong?

http://www.deagel.com/Aircraft-Warners-and-Sensors/RDY-3_a002199001.aspx
So, Deagel is right. Thalesgroup is wrong. Thales had prescribed a consumption of 3.5KVA. I took 4KVA for my example and gave you the math so you can figure out the rest like what is the efficiency and possible power supplied. But, No, Thales has to be wrong because you are right.

Deagel only gave one little (wrong) specification. Thales has listed out the true specification, because they made the radar, DUH!!!! Of course Thales is wrong. Only you are right, even deagel is right.

For fun, do I list out the difference between Deagel and ThalesGroup for you??????????????????

ppgj

Why would I.
because you claimed it.

It is logical that once the turret is removed out of the equation, then things change. An engine weighs 1 ton, turret weighs 15 tons. It used to take 7 to 8 hours just to remove the turret. The T-90 engine is lighter than the Arjun's too.
ok. lets look at this link which i gave you before too. here -

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...02Zkqq&sig=AHIEtbTMw_PgfohUmXgXkmpuG9jQdZLFJg

page 46.

(during war time)

it says turret removal takes 390 minutes or 6.5 hrs.

and engine fixing takes 330 minutes or 5.5 hrs.

so won't it be right, logically speaking and basing on facts - to assume, a time of about 7-8 hrs for a T-90, factoring in the point - it does not need the turret removal.

if people agree (and i am not imagining) on this, then how will that time be equal to "under 2 hrs" for Arjun??

Could be. Engine replacement takes that long anyway.
point is - it is not!! T-90 engine replacement will take 3-4 times the time for Arjun.

Everything associated with tanks is a huge engineering effort. Now, I can claim the LCA is a massive engineering effort. It is true. But is it impossible. It was a huge engineering effort to build the Arjun too, bigger than just fixing an AC on the T-90. Don't fall for media statements. Nothing is unachievable.
i never said it is impossible. but why has it not happened in the last 11 years??

considering the "delay" they have accused of Arjun and their "operational readiness" there on because of the "supposed" delay - why are so many "issues" still pending with T-90 even now!!! what is the "locus standi" in accusing DRDO?? and even more "ironically" why do they need DRDO help in solving T-90 problems???

By the way, Russia has designed an AC for the T-90, installed and tested too. It just wasn't enough for us.
strange isn't it?? the ever criticised Arjun does not even need it and it operates in the same environment.

The T-80 is smaller than the T-90 and it still managed to find space for an APU.
if you read my posts, i said myself - an APU can be put. but it can only be external and subject to turret gun movement.

European engines and electronics that is not French will be sanctioned. The very reason why the T-90s have mainly Russian components.
Pakistan is also free from sanctions. they got T-84 from Ukraine!!

That time is over.
it is not by a long shot.

Then it is a sitting duck when a Gunship zooms past at 200 kmph. You cannot use your engine smoke, you cannot perform evasive maneuvers. You cannot even hide.
air defence is factored in for these situations.

T-90s will have an Israeli BMS, maybe BEL too.
hope they find space for it in addition to AC unit.

T-80 is smaller.
and your point being??

Yes they do. It is either a Chinese Pakistani development or a fully Pakistani one.
so??? our T-90s don't even have it!!!

We have planes that actually kill.
so do they and we are talking tanks and not AFs.

if AF was to determine the outcome we don't need tanks.

The T-90 composite armour is more modern. The ERA is the same on T-90S but will be a different ball game once the T-90M rolls out.
we will talk about T-90M when they are operational. so lets stick to T-90S for the present along with its "issues".

The Pakistanis have faster deployment time and only that matters. Our armour is better, while firepower is the same. But they beat us in reaching the battle first. Luckily their air force sucks so bad they cannot take advantage of our slowness.
so just because luckily our AF is superior you justify an inferior tank?? everything in all wings need to be superior subject to their funds allotment.

Arjun does not help in such cases. The deployment time of Arjun will be longer than the T-90.
unfortunately it does sir. that is the whole point. it beats both T-90 and all pakistani tanks by a long shot.

deployment issue has already been dealt with. you do not agree. so be it.

The biggest problem you face is you are only looking at 5 years from now and not 10 or 15 or 20 years from now.

Times have changed drastically. What we currently have is simply overkill against the Pakistanis. We are capable of completely sanitising a 10000 sq km area electronically. We have satellites, we have better aircraft, we have better training, we have better funds and most of all we have better technology. Our technology is atleast a decade ahead of anything the Pakistanis have at the moment, courtesy Israel. We have been developing killer systems with them, we have been inducting decent stuff from France too.
and yet we have underpowered and unresolved issues with T-90S!!!

don't be so optimistic. be pragmatic. besides what is the point "denying" a superior system available locally and the one which will be a game changer!!! it only adds and does not take away the "superiority" you are speaking about!!

So, what do the Pakistanis have against our technological superiority.........APU?????

APU is passe,
IA does not agree. they want one on T-90S.

tank warfare is closing and will end in the future, at least heavy tanks.
and we are talking of today. when that future comes and if we are still around then, we can debate on that.

Tanks are passe. The future will be small, light and efficient vehicles. The US is already ahead in the game, Israel also wants to join the program and they want a tank that is 3 times lighter than the Merkava M4.
yet the US has the highest number of heavy tanks as of today. let's keep the "future" part for the future.

More importantly, all future tanks will not work on hit survivability(Arjun) they will work on hit avoidance(T-72).
the best "hit avoidance" will be to - "not enter" the battlefield.

the difference is pretty evident. one fights and one flees!!! a "winner" and "loser" analogy.

That's why the IA has been cribbing for new generation tanks instead of just focussing on obsolete fighting methods.
army does not even know what they want. i gave a link of that too in the "FMBT" thread, i guess.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Arjun does not help in such cases..
The biggest problem you face is you are only looking at 5 years from now and not 10 or 15 or 20 years from now.
APU is passe, tank warfare is closing and will end in the future, at least heavy tanks. The future belongs to information. The future of armour is this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCT_Ground_Combat_Vehicle_Program
Tanks are passe. The future will be small, light and efficient vehicles. The US is already ahead in the game, Israel also wants to join the program and they want a tank that is 3 times lighter than the Merkava M4.
More importantly, all future tanks will not work on hit survivability(Arjun) they will work on hit avoidance(T-72).
Check the caption on top of this picture:

All the tanks are 16-20 tons and that's the future, after the M1 Abrams are retired.
This is from the cancelled FCS program. But the US have started a new program and the first prototype will be out in 2015.
That's why the IA has been cribbing for new generation tanks instead of just focussing on obsolete fighting methods.

Leave that to Americans, they are experimenting with their forces since Vietnam..
These light vehicles looks nice also sound nice in theory but in practice they are 'fail' coz the program was targeted for cheap and fast force ( Actually copy of Russian VDV ) they never deploy a MGS in middle of Iraqi street or leading a convoy in Afghanistan, they reason is RPGs and IEDs can smash any vehicle except heavy tanks..

Stryker force can be used as a good Airborne asset but fighting on heavy on open fields and on street, you always need something heavy and powerful like Arjun..

Comparison of Stryker force and VDV arsenal..

MGS..

Stryker MGS 105mm..

2S25 Sprut-SD 125mm
Infantry fighting vehicles/ Armored personal carrier..

Stryker ICV/IFV/APC

BMD-4 ICV/IFV/APC

Mortar Section..

Sryker 120mm Mobile Mortar system

2S9 Nona 122mm Mobile Mortar system

'Fail' on open fields and for street fighting, goods as Airborne asset..
As briefed you regarding the Stryker forces is nothing but a light reaction force with support of MBT and CAS aircraft..
It is same as VDV in Russia, But it have nothing to do with Heavy MBTs and future concept of Armour domination..

Last edited:

p2prada

because you claimed it.
HuH! You are claiming the exact opposite simply because the T-90 uses the same chassis as the T-72. You have no proof either.

ok. lets look at this link which i gave you before too. here -

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...02Zkqq&sig=AHIEtbTMw_PgfohUmXgXkmpuG9jQdZLFJg

page 46.

(during war time)

it says turret removal takes 390 minutes or 6.5 hrs.

and engine fixing takes 330 minutes or 5.5 hrs.

so won't it be right, logically speaking and basing on facts - to assume, a time of about 7-8 hrs for a T-90, factoring in the point - it does not need the turret removal.
No. The T-90 is not the T-72. Only thing similar in the T-90 is the chassis. Engine, compartments etc are different. The engine comes in a panel behind the turret. You just take off the panel, dismantle the
engine.

if people agree (and i am not imagining) on this, then how will that time be equal to "under 2 hrs" for Arjun??
That's because T-72 is not the T-90. The Su-30MKI is completely different from the Su-30K. Just because the outside looks the same and the designation is similar does not mean they are the same.

i never said it is impossible. but why has it not happened in the last 11 years??

We don't know to what extent the T-90 has progressed. Nobody knows it. Just because there is no news does not mean nothing is happening.

considering the "delay" they have accused of Arjun and their "operational readiness" there on because of the "supposed" delay - why are so many "issues" still pending with T-90 even now!!! what is the "locus standi" in accusing DRDO?? and even more "ironically" why do they need DRDO help in solving T-90 problems???
DRDO supports the Army. What ever the army buys is serviced by DRDO. How is it impossible to understand? Even if the LCA program gets cancelled do you think HAL will immediately stop servicing other aircraft the Air force has.

if you read my posts, i said myself - an APU can be put. but it can only be external and subject to turret gun movement.
All APU on tanks, eastern and western are external. Only T-90s 1KW APU is below the armour.

Pakistan is also free from sanctions. they got T-84 from Ukraine!!
They use French transmissions and a lot of western electronics.

it is not by a long shot.
Not now, but it will be in 2020.

air defence is factored in for these situations.
We have more air assets and they are all more advanced. We also have plans of inducting modern SAMs. The Pakistanis don't.

hope they find space for it in addition to AC unit.

and your point being??
The T-80 has APU even after being smaller than the T-90. So, there has to be enough space in our tanks.

so??? our T-90s don't even have it!!![/qote]

It is just an attachment. Nothing special to install one.

so do they and we are talking tanks and not AFs.
Like I said, we have the capability to sanitize a 10000 sq km area electronically. We are inducting modern SAMs. We have better radars like the Thales Ground Master and 3D Rajendra.

if AF was to determine the outcome we don't need tanks.
All assets are important. Warfare isn't one on one. It is team work, especially modern warfare.

so just because luckily our AF is superior you justify an inferior tank?? everything in all wings need to be superior subject to their funds allotment.
Unfortunately the Paktistanis were ahead in inducting the T-84 and with the Al Khalid. The Arjun failed all critical tests at that time. The Army had no choice but to go for the T-90's immediately after the 1998 tests.

unfortunately it does sir. that is the whole point. it beats both T-90 and all pakistani tanks by a long shot.
The T-90 armour is still better.

and yet we have underpowered and unresolved issues with T-90S!!!
The T-90s engines give out a torque of 25-30% of power. The Arjun's MU gives a toque of 12-15% peak.

don't be so optimistic. be pragmatic. besides what is the point "denying" a superior system available locally and the one which will be a game changer!!! it only adds and does not take away the "superiority" you are speaking about!!
Arjun is not a game changer. It is just a more expensive tank that came out late. You have to speak about the Arjun only looking at what was available in 2000, not in 2010.

yet the US has the highest number of heavy tanks as of today. let's keep the "future" part for the future.
Their future is just 5 years from now.

the best "hit avoidance" will be to - "not enter" the battlefield.
The Russians had the right concept, they were just behind in technology.

the difference is pretty evident. one fights and one flees!!! a "winner" and "loser" analogy.
That is not how hit avoidance works.

army does not even know what they want. i gave a link of that too in the "FMBT" thread, i guess.
Who says? They have submitted the requirement for the Arjun Mk2 anyway. Some journo said the army has no clue and you take that as Gospel Truth. They will know what they want, but they need to see if DRDO can deliver such a thing anyway. Eg: Army asked for a laser based APS. DRDO said it can deliver. If the army says the tanks needs to fly then that would be a stupid requirement. Just because the army does not tell does not mean they don't know.

Leave that to Americans, they are experimenting with their forces since Vietnam..
And why is that not relevant. That's why they are the best. The IA wants to replicate a similar program, maybe realistic after 2015 or 2020 when we have better funds. We don't have strategic air lift capability which will be the principle driver for such forces, but we may get one in the next 10 years which makes it all the more important for us to focus on newer fighting methods.

How amazing would it be to get a regiment of tanks by helicopter right behind Pakistani counter attack in the Rann of Kutch in just a few hours.

These light vehicles looks nice also sound nice in theory but in practice they are 'fail' coz the program was targeted for cheap and fast force ( Actually copy of Russian VDV ) they never deploy a MGS in middle of Iraqi street or leading a convoy in Afghanistan, they reason is RPGs and IEDs can smash any vehicle except heavy tanks..
The Stryker has already been deployed in War zones and they are doing very well. The Quick kill systems will further boost its fighting ability. The Russians had the right concept, just at the wrong time. Their technology was not mature enough.

was targeted for cheap and fast force
Even the richest country on the planet have figured out using 3500 Heavy tanks even for a few days is fail. Losing those heavy tanks is an even bigger problem and then deployment times of heavy tanks is simply too less in the modern battlefield.

Stryker force can be used as a good Airborne asset but fighting on heavy on open fields and on street, you always need something heavy and powerful like Arjun..
Not if we work on hit avoidance concept and air support. The US primarily relies on air superiority. So, they can be a bit more flexible. The point is there is no future Heavy tank development. Nobody is going beyond what they have except Indians and the Chinese. We are doing it just because we haven't done it already.

The M1s will be retired and the replacement is from their new program. The Stryker is quite weak compared to what they have planned. They are going the ERA way and hard kill APS. Networking with air assets means they have situational awareness that goes beyond a tanks detection capability. Adding ATGMs to the picture means they have the capability of shooting beyond LOS. Looking small and being agile plays a very good part in low observability.

As briefed you regarding the Stryker forces is nothing but a light reaction force with support of MBT and CAS aircraft..
That's just the present generation Stryker. What about 10 years from now when the M1s are being phased out. The US have a different program and there is no place for heavy tanks.

The problem is no matter how well protected your heavy tank is the ammunition is evolving faster than armour. Even if modern tanks are protected from tanks shells, they are still no match for ATGMs and certain RPGs. Gunship and ATGMs on predator drones are really unstoppable by the armour because of added kinetic energy. They will need hard kill AP systems and will need to be easily replaceable.

The US is already facing a lot of flak in Iraq against rag tag groups, imagine if they were fighting a force like Russia or China which have better conventional capabilities.

It is same as VDV in Russia, But it have nothing to do with Heavy MBTs and future concept of Armour domination..
Networking has decreased armour domination. It was good 30 years ago when nothing could get through a tank. Now, I can even direct artillery fire or rocket fire on single tanks. 2 or 3 $50000 shells on a $5million tank and with a laser designator and there goes the war. If a tank's stationary it can be killed by precision artillery. Modern warfare demands new light tanks that are air transportable, capable of avoiding hits in the face of direct fire and still be able to perform its mission with better efficiency than present gen heavy tanks and also be replaced quicker than a heavy tank once destroyed.

The US and maybe Israel, have identified that their modern Heavy tanks are obsolete in the face of new age weapon systems. If a tank works on hit avoidance, then it does not make a difference if you have a tank or a Jeep in the streets as long as the hit is avoided.

RPGs can be avoided through hard kill systems which are pretty much the surest way for avoidance while IEDs are a big problem for all vehicles. Heavy Tanks may survive it, but newer technology like using unmanned systems can curtail the effect.

More importantly, the US sees the new gen tanks in a much bigger light than just seeing if it can fit into one single scenario, like on the streets. Better infantry gear can help curtail the disadvantages of a lighter vehicle on the streets.

Last edited:

p2prada

Cancelled FCS prototypes. Program has been renewed under a different name though.

The speed of these vehicles is beyond 120kmph on road and nearly 60-70kmph cross country.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Arjun is not a game changer. It is just a more expensive tank that came out late. You have to speak about the Arjun only looking at what was available in 2000, not in 2010.
In south-asia, when compare to other tanks..

The Stryker has already been deployed in War zones and they are doing very well. The Quick kill systems will further boost its fighting ability.
I mentioned abt it before in my previous post..
Stryker concept is failure..

http://www.guvwurld.org/cgi-bin/liv...Hides Disclosure of Faulty Tanks - 9-5-03.txt
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14284-2005Mar30.html

The Russians had the right concept, just at the wrong time. Their technology was not mature enough.;-)
On what basis?
Afghanistan, Chechnya & recent Georgian conflicts the same vehicles were used in gr8 success, Americans are just following them now..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Airborne_Troops

Gulf wars is a good example, T-types were better than m1A2s?

We don't have strategic air lift capability which will be the principle driver for such forces, but we may get one in the next 10 years which makes it all the more important for us to focus on newer fighting methods. How amazing would it be to get a regiment of tanks by helicopter right behind Pakistani counter attack in the Rann of Kutch in just a few hours.
Wht is strategic airlift capability?
Yes, i support extension of para units, also we already have the APC & the tank will showup on this September in Poland..
That's just the present generation Stryker. What about 10 years from now when the M1s are being phased out. The US have a different program and there is no place for heavy tanks.
On what basis, U heard abt one side only..

The problem is no matter how well protected your heavy tank is the ammunition is evolving faster than armour. Even if modern tanks are protected from tanks shells, they are still no match for ATGMs and certain RPGs. Gunship and ATGMs on predator drones are really unstoppable by the armour because of added kinetic energy. They will need hard kill AP systems and will need to be easily replaceable.
Always remember Combine arm support!
Though ERA and APS are short term defense suits..
The US and maybe Israel, have identified that their modern Heavy tanks are obsolete in the face of new age weapon systems.
Not at all..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Cancelled FCS prototypes. Program has been renewed under a different name though.

The speed of these vehicles is beyond 120kmph on road and nearly 60-70kmph cross country.

Hopefully better than stryker!
Though it have nothing to do with MBTs..

Last edited:

p2prada

Unarmed Mule. As the name denotes it will carry cargo and supplies for the infantry. Infantry can use its cover against small arms fire too.

Taking Cover

Armed Mule. It provides direct weapons fire.

The mule is a robot. It obeys the voices of soldiers around it. It is capable of carrying one ton in cargo and also provides a platform for launching UAVs and controlling them.

p2prada

The article does not say the concept is a failure. It only says the Striker is a bad design and will need better designs. Mainly weight issues.

On what basis?
Afghanistan, Chechnya & recent Georgian conflicts the same vehicles were used in gr8 success, Americans are just following them now..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Airborne_Troops
The enemy the Russians fought weren't advanced. They fought a small country weaker than Iraq. Even the Russians were talking about a new generation tank which will be automated with a 2 man crew and weighs only 20tons. Don't know if its true.

Anyway what I wanted to say was that the concept of networked warfare is still in the nascent stage even in Russia. The Arena is expensive and not used. So, a lack of network capability and hard kill APS is detrimental compared to what the US wants to achieve. The Russian technology is still not at the same level as the US.

Still the T-90s and Abrams will be hard pressed to maneuver and deploy compared to these FCS tanks.

Gulf wars is a good example, T-types were better than m1A2s?
Yes. The only problem the Iraqis faced were bad equipment and training. Had the Iraqis rebuilt their tank forces back to 80s strength and refined their tactics a bit more, the gulf wars would have been a little different.

The Americans could not match the deployment rates of the Iraqis. They were out matched in that aspect. But, their air force came through.

Wht is strategic airlift capability?
Yes, i support extension of para units, also we already have the APC & the tank will showup on this September in Poland..
The ability to deploy multiple divisions of men, vehicles and equipment at a single go over far distances.

We do not have good helicopters and cargo planes. What we already have are too few in numbers and are obsolete in technology. We need more C-130J and C-17 type transport planes. We will need 200-300 such aircraft for a military our size, not the handful that we have for having a true strategic airlift capability. Mi-26 types are also good.

I am looking forward to the new tank.

On what basis, U heard abt one side only..
There is no replacement program for the M1 Abrams though..

Always remember Combine arm support!
The most important aspect of a networked force.

Though ERA and APS are short term defense suits..
It helps increase survivability and justifies the hit avoidance capability.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The article does not say the concept is a failure. It only says the Striker is a bad design and will need better designs. Mainly weight issues.
The deploying unit�s new armored vehicles may have faulty armor which would leave them vulnerable to machine-gun fire and to the rocket-propelled grenades that are the Iraq insurgents� favorite weapon. The Army has deployed a new troop transport vehicle in Iraq with many defects, putting troops there at unexpected risk from rocket-propelled grenades and raising questions about the vehicle's development and $11 billion cost
Weight is one issue..

The enemy the Russians fought weren't advanced. They fought a small country weaker than Iraq. Even the Russians were talking about a new generation tank which will be automated with a 2 man crew and weighs only 20tons. Don't know if its true.
Not tank but IFV, So does the Americans..
Also Chechnya`s tangos get their weapon from Russia only they are more advance than Iraqi tangos..

Anyway what I wanted to say was that the concept of networked warfare is still in the nascent stage even in Russia. The Arena is expensive and not used. So, a lack of network capability and hard kill APS is detrimental compared to what the US wants to achieve. The Russian technology is still not at the same level as the US.
Yes true enough, But no doubt the stryker concept originally a VDV copy..
Also the vehicles VDV use are superior compare to Americans in terms of mobility and firepower..

Yes. The only problem the Iraqis faced were bad equipment and training. Had the Iraqis rebuilt their tank forces back to 80s strength and refined their tactics a bit more, the gulf wars would have been a little different.
Even if they have the T-90S still it couldn't saved them, coz still Russians have nothing that can face a MIA2 head on, MIA2 superior Armour and ammo is the secret for its victories in Gulf..

The Americans could not match the deployment rates of the Iraqis. They were out matched in that aspect. But, their air force came through.
They were dug in before the war!

The ability to deploy multiple divisions of men, vehicles and equipment at a single go over far distances.
We will need 200-300 such aircraft for a military our size, not the handful that we have for having a true strategic airlift capability. Mi-26 types are also good.
IL-76MD is a good plane and it can drop 2 BMPS at a single drop..
In future we may have C17 which will increase our droping capability..
We dont need to drop the whole army, we need to drop PARA & PARA SF & Light armors, for eg: Each IL-76MD could carry 200 troops and can carry 50 tons..
we have 28 of them..

The most important aspect of a networked force.
Yes we can say that but still the main concept of combine arms followed by IA, US is of 1939..

it helps increase survivability and justifies the hit avoidance capability.
Indeed!
but only in early stages..

ppgj

@p2p

you have a propensity to make "tall" claims and when asked for backup source, you either sidestep or skip it altogether. this is a public forum and the debate needs to be based on "facts" available in the public domain rather than on "imaginations". i would request you to base your comments, particularly - the claims, on reality. otherwise it has the danger of "misleading" members and people reading them.

this is no advice!! just a humble request.

HuH! You are claiming the exact opposite simply because the T-90 uses the same chassis as the T-72. You have no proof either.

No. The T-90 is not the T-72. Only thing similar in the T-90 is the chassis. Engine, compartments etc are different. The engine comes in a panel behind the turret. You just take off the panel, dismantle the engine.

That's because T-72 is not the T-90.
everybody knows T-90S is an enhanced version of T-72. it was just a change of name to distinguish it from T-72A. the only chages made were -

1. a new improved turret.

2. taking the FCS from T-80 which was better.

3. K-5 ERA tiles.

read here -

The T-90 is not a new tank but an evolution of the T-72 design and offers little in the way of an advantage over the tanks entering service in the last years of the Soviet Union. At the beginning of the 1990s when the Soviet Union collapsed, two tanks were still in production: the T-80U developed by the Spetsmash Design Bureau in Leningrad and the T-72B which had been developed by the Vagonka Design Bureau at the Uralvagon plant in Nizhni Tagil. The T-80U was the more sophisticated of the two with a superior fire-control system and a gas turbine engine. This was reflected in the price tag of the two tanks, the T-80U being offered for export for $2 million and the T-72 for about $1.2 million. The imposition of 'defence sufficiency' during the Gorbachev era and then the collapse of the Soviet Union had a catastrophic effect on the Russian tank industry. The Russian Federation could no longer keep on procuring two types of main battle tank, but selecting one over another would be catastrophic for the loosing city and so continued buying both tanks in small numbers. The two plants kept on producing tanks in the hope of further orders from the Russian Army or a large export order. Nizhni Tagil started upgrading the T-72B with the third generation of Kontakt-5 explosive reactive armour (which has already been added to the T-80U) developed by NII Stali (Scientific Research Institute for Steel). This produced the T-72BM, which saw limited service in the Chechen conflict. While the T-72 has traditionally been fitted with less sophisticated fire controls than the T-80 (as it was intended for second-line Soviet units and political allies) the Vagonka Design Bureau decided to make the T-72 much more competitive against the T-80 by adding the T-80's fire control system. The result was the T-72BU, although it was decided to rename the tank the T-90 to distance it from the T-72A that had performed poorly in both the Gulf War and to a lesser extent the Chechen conflict. Due to the T-80 having a bad reputation for high fuel consumption, a short engine life and the losses they suffered in Chechnya (although this was due to poor tactics and crew training) the decision was taken to gradually move over to the T-90 with production of T-80Us continuing for a period of time to prevent economic hardship and to generate export orders. The tank itself mounts an improved T-72BM turret (which has a NII Stali version of Chobham armour) and Kontakt-5 appliqué. It has a derivative of the T-80U 1A45 fire control system, the 1A45T, which includes the new 1V528-1 digital ballistic computer. It mounts the new 2A46M-1 (or D-81TM) tank gun, as used by the T-80, and can fire the new generation of tank gun ammunition developed by the Mechanical Engineering Research Institute in Moscow, and the AT-11 Sniper missile. The T-90 uses a modified version of the commander's cupola, and also mounts the Shtora-1 defence suite, developed by VNII Transmash in St Pertersburg in co-operation with Elers-Elektron in Moscow. The T-90 operates the V-84MS multi-fuel diesel engine, which is an upgrade of the engine from the T-72BM but has the same power output (840hp). This means the T-90 is slightly more sluggish (its two tons heavier) but there are upgrades available, the V-92 (950hp) and V-96 (1,100 hp) diesel engines from the Chelyabinsk engine plant. An enhanced T-90S has recently been revealed and offered for export to potential Asian customers. It features an air conditioning system, a thermal gunnery sight and a 1,000 hp B-92C2 diesel engine which lifts performance to a maximum road speed of 65km/h. India has expressed an interest in buying the T-90 as Pakistan has recently bought 320 T-80UDs from the Ukraine.

Hull length: 6.86m. Hull width: 3.37m. Weight: 46,500kg (combat); Height: 2.23m. Crew: 3. Ground Clearance: 0.47m. Ground pressure: 0.87kg/sq.cm Max speed: 60km/h. Max range (internal fuel): 500km on road. Armament: 125mm smoothbore main gun, 1 x 7.62mm MG coaxial, 1 x 12.7mm anti-aircraft MG.
http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_t90.html

this is a fact. you are adding your own imagination to it. engine remains where it was and i would be glad to be corrected on this.

now to the engine change -

if you look at the pages from 46 onwards in this -

it does not talk about "turret removal" of T-72M1. i guess that seems to be the truth. IOW while T-90 engine change time may have improved but will still be "high".

now lets look at the this -

Engine:
1) T-90 of the first series - V-shaped 12-cylinder 4-stroke multi-fuel diesel V-84MS liquid-cooled direct injection of fuel and drive centrifugal supercharger design SKB Transdizel "(Chelyabinsk). Options for fuel - diesel, petrol (with a small loss of power), and kerosene.

Power - 840 hp при 2000 об/мин at 2000 rpm

Time to replace the engine - 6 h (team of technicians, M1A1 - 2 hours)
http://translate.google.com/transla...tary.tomsk.ru/blog/topic-294.html&sl=ru&tl=en

it speaks of 6hrs time for engine change for V84 series engine. that would give the right indication. isn't it???

hence i deduce, T-90 engine replacement will take a minimum 3-4 times that of Arjun. if you want to prove me wrong then i would be delighted provided you back it up with some credible source.

We don't know to what extent the T-90 has progressed. Nobody knows it. Just because there is no news does not mean nothing is happening.
self contradiction.

DRDO supports the Army. What ever the army buys is serviced by DRDO. How is it impossible to understand?
we are not talking of some servicing issue here. we are talking "putting" systems in T-90 to make them better than "inferior".

besides DRDO is not "servicer". they are an R&D organisation. OFB perhaps might do the servicing.

Even if the LCA program gets cancelled do you think HAL will immediately stop servicing other aircraft the Air force has.
how is it connected?? besides ADA/DRDO are partner developers and HAL is the manufacturer of LCA. besides all are "indian" entities.

All APU on tanks, eastern and western are external. Only T-90s 1KW APU is below the armour.
it does not matter whether external or internal. they are needed and they have to be there. 1kw is not sufficient as established unless you want your T-90S to remain in their barracks or willing to spend both money and men.

They use French transmissions and a lot of western electronics.
french is no problem as you said. what are the other western electronics???

Not now, but it will be in 2020.
i remember you were claiming, a few months back, that Arjun will be "CAPPED" at 124 units. remember?? and result??

also you were saying authoritatively IA's future MBT will be T-95 and it will come out in march/april 2010. remember?? and result??

so lets wait. i don't want to be in your imaginary world.

We have more air assets and they are all more advanced. We also have plans of inducting modern SAMs. The Pakistanis don't.
no justification for the T-90S and its unresolved issues.

The T-80 has APU even after being smaller than the T-90. So, there has to be enough space in our tanks.

It is just an attachment. Nothing special to install one.
IA unfortunately does not beleive in that. they are grappling to put them. hope they are successful with DRDO.

Like I said, we have the capability to sanitize a 10000 sq km area electronically. We are inducting modern SAMs. We have better radars like the Thales Ground Master and 3D Rajendra.
Pakistan is no push over. they have chinese help too in terms of SAT imagery and their air defence and artillery is good.

All assets are important. Warfare isn't one on one. It is team work, especially modern warfare.
ofcourse it is team effort but each team needs to have the "best" equipment to fight. Arjun's case rests on superiority.

Unfortunately the Paktistanis were ahead in inducting the T-84 and with the Al Khalid. The Arjun failed all critical tests at that time. The Army had no choice but to go for the T-90's immediately after the 1998 tests.
and T-90 passed??? face reality. i have given enough links.

the problems that existed wrt T-90 in 2000 exist even now!!! Arjun's problems were solved in 2005.

The T-90 armour is still better.
because of DRDO. =xD

The T-90s engines give out a torque of 25-30% of power. The Arjun's MU gives a toque of 12-15% peak.
yet gives only 846/910 hp!!! arjun has 1400 hp.

i have listed T-90 problems which are existing since "induction". you have not answered any. same with "cost".

Their future is just 5 years from now.
let USA worry about it.

exactly. reason why T-90 is obsolete. reason why Russian army refuses.

good for them. anyway AF will take care.

Who says? They have submitted the requirement for the Arjun Mk2 anyway. Some journo said the army has no clue and you take that as Gospel Truth. They will know what they want, but they need to see if DRDO can deliver such a thing anyway. Eg: Army asked for a laser based APS. DRDO said it can deliver. If the army says the tanks needs to fly then that would be a stupid requirement. Just because the army does not tell does not mean they don't know.
remeber the "artillery" tender. the army drew such "unrealistic specs" - some of them withdrew!!!!

strange when it comes to DRDO - IA wants "everything" proven not so with Russia. great no??

Last edited:

p2prada

@p2p

you have a propensity to make "tall" claims and when asked for backup source, you either sidestep or skip it altogether. this is a public forum and the debate needs to be based on "facts" available in the public domain rather than on "imaginations". i would request you to base your comments, particularly - the claims, on reality. otherwise it has the danger of "misleading" members and people reading them.

this is no advice!! just a humble request.
My grandfather was the ex director and scientist of DRDO, he worked under Dr. Abdul Kalam in the Agni program. My Mom's best friend was an air force technician for 20 years. One more of my Mom's friends has a high position in ISRO and is one of the head scientists of the deep space satellite comm center in Byalalu, you have seen his pictures too. I have even seen the Chandrayaan satellite being assembled in Bangalore at the HQ.

Heck, my basketball coach worked in the MEG for 20 years. He asked me to join the air force.

Internationally, I know a scientist, sailor and administrative manager who worked in the US Navy for 30 years, went on to work for Lockheed Martin for 4 years and that was in the US FMS(Foreign Military sales) program. I am currently playing an online game with a friend who works in the US Navy as a Carrier pilot. He is currently at sea in the Atlantic, so I can only be in touch with him by his official USN email as of today.

Unfortunately I cannot give you links for what ever these contacts of mine say and you will not believe it without me having a Military Professional Tag. The only time I did mention about my contacts was when everybody was discussing about the FMS program. My contact said the FMS program is just a contractual obligation, nothing really happens. It is just a bunch of guys including himself who show up for tea. The only thing positive about these trips is they get to visit different countries regularly.

His words: If it looks like a C-130 then it is a C-130.

He also said India may get special consideration and that can be written in the contract to benefit India, similar to the Nuclear deal.

everybody knows T-90S is an enhanced version of T-72. it was just a change of name to distinguish it from T-72A. the only chages made were -

1. a new improved turret.

2. taking the FCS from T-80 which was better.

3. K-5 ERA tiles.
The MKI is the same in that respect.

read here -

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_t90.html

this is a fact. you are adding your own imagination to it. engine remains where it was and i would be glad to be corrected on this.

now to the engine change -

if you look at the pages from 46 onwards in this -

it does not talk about "turret removal" of T-72M1. i guess that seems to be the truth. IOW while T-90 engine change time may have improved but will still be "high".

now lets look at the this -

http://translate.google.com/transla...tary.tomsk.ru/blog/topic-294.html&sl=ru&tl=en

it speaks of 6hrs time for engine change for V84 series engine. that would give the right indication. isn't it???

hence i deduce, T-90 engine replacement will take a minimum 3-4 times that of Arjun. if you want to prove me wrong then i would be delighted provided you back it up with some credible source.
Well, I stand corrected on the T-72M.

The problem is you are using 10 year old information as your source. If you ask for open source links now I cannot give it. Nobody can. The T-90 engine isn't the V84, it is the V92 series. The V-84 exists in some old T-90As. Only the army or DRDo can come out with the actual figures.

self contradiction.
To what info?

we are not talking of some servicing issue here. we are talking "putting" systems in T-90 to make them better than "inferior".

besides DRDO is not "servicer". they are an R&D organisation. OFB perhaps might do the servicing.
Service as in "work" for the army, and not "servicing" in the literal term. DRDO works for the Indian Armed Forces. The Indian Armed Forces works for India. If the Army tells DRDO to do something, they have to do it. It says so in their constitution, Contract. Else DRDO will not earn anything.

Boeing's YF-23 lost to the YF-22. So, right now Boeing is taking leads from Lockheed Martin when it comes to the F-22 program. They are doing whatever Lockheed tells them to do. They are doing it because they get some money out of it. It is a contractual obligation for LM to outsource work to Boeing. Had the YF-23 been selected the situation would have been the opposite.

If the army wants DRDO to build them an AC, they have to build it. Else the army will simply source the work to some one else. It is pure business. Like I said, there is no place for pride in business.

how is it connected?? besides ADA/DRDO are partner developers and HAL is the manufacturer of LCA. besides all are "indian" entities.
It is business. HAL learnt how to build aircraft from the Russians. So, now that we have the LCA you are saying, lets screw all other aircraft because they are not Indian. If the air force chooses Gripen and junks the LCA, then HAL "have" to say they will not build the Gripens in India?????? That's not how business works.

If DRDO got a contract to fix T-90s AC, then DRDO will do it. Do you know why? It is because DRDO will earn more monies. Business. It has nothing to do with pride.

it does not matter whether external or internal. they are needed and they have to be there. 1kw is not sufficient as established unless you want your T-90S to remain in their barracks or willing to spend both money and men.
No Hunter killer ability. Meaning T-90 does not shoot the gun when stationary. So, 1KW is enough for what is required.

french is no problem as you said. what are the other western electronics???
The Al Khalid have different prototypes. Some have Italian FCS, some have French FCS and some East bloc. Some have the Perkins engine with a German or British transmission, one has a German engine too.

Some aspects like navigation, GPS is supposedly Italian. Then we have a lot of electronics like processors and wiring that is sourced from Germany.

Also, the French are not as easy going to the Pakistanis as they are to us. They vociferously supported Indian Nuclear tests, but not Pakistani tests.

The Al Khalid was supposed to get the French engines. But they were cancelled after the 1998 tests. That's when the Al Khalid started getting Ukranian engines and other stuff.

i remember you were claiming, a few months back, that Arjun will be "CAPPED" at 124 units. remember?? and result??
This was as claimed by the ex army chief. I only echoed what he said. Another 124 silenced critics.

also you were saying authoritatively IA's future MBT will be T-95 and it will come out in march/april 2010. remember?? and result??
These are rumours. Also been cancelled.
So, I can't help it.

so lets wait. i don't want to be in your imaginary world.
Everything in the military is imaginary and speculation. That's why I don't support Ajai Shukla's views on the T-90.

no justification for the T-90S and its unresolved issues.
This is your imagination. How do you know?

The T-90 has an AC already developed by Russia. The Pakistani Al-Khalid may also get AC in the next version.

IA unfortunately does not beleive in that. they are grappling to put them. hope they are successful with DRDO.
So, Pakistanis can do anything with their T-types. We cannot do anything with ours. This may only be your view of DRDO.

Pakistan is no push over. they have chinese help too in terms of SAT imagery and their air defence and artillery is good.
Chinese Sat imagery?? They get it late, if they do. Their air defence su*ks. They have nothing. Their artillery is not precision without decent networking. Also, you are discounting the ability of our EW systems. In the Corps formation, we will have nearly 300 to 400 vehicles particularly employed to process and jam enemy signals. The Pakistanis are no push over, but we are overkill in some aspects like EW.

ofcourse it is team effort but each team needs to have the "best" equipment to fight. Arjun's case rests on superiority.
Not necessary. You don't need the "best" equipment to fight, you only need the most "useful." The T-90 is useful, the Arjun is not, at least as of now.

and T-90 passed??? face reality. i have given enough links.

the problems that existed wrt T-90 in 2000 exist even now!!! Arjun's problems were solved in 2005.
This is based on your assumption that the army did nothing.

because of DRDO. =xD
I am talking about the ERA on T-90S, not T-90M.

yet gives only 846/910 hp!!! arjun has 1400 hp.
Torque is different from horse power. Look at the weight difference too.

let USA worry about it.
Yes. We must not try to be the best. Mediocre is enough.

exactly. reason why T-90 is obsolete. reason why Russian army refuses.
Eh! I was talking about something else. Not T-90.

good for them. anyway AF will take care.
That makes no sense.

remeber the "artillery" tender. the army drew such "unrealistic specs" - some of them withdrew!!!!
That seems like an excuse. US companies pulled out of the deal. It only means there were some illegal behind the scenes action and they left. CBI is having a good time. Unrealistic specs was only an excuse. A US company gave "time" as an excuse when the helicopter deal was cancelled. CBI was happy at that time too. Israel is right on top of the bribery accusation list.

My USN contact said it takes Boeing only a few weeks to answer a RFP. When the deal was cancelled the time frame was actually more than enough. If they pull an all nighter, Boeing can answer RFPs at a much faster rate than a few weeks. It comes from experience.

strange when it comes to DRDO - IA wants "everything" proven not so with Russia. great no??
It is unfortunate, but the home R&D bases get the most unkindest cut of all. It is true for all countries. That's the primary reason why none of the American ship builders are setting up infrastructure for diesel electric subs in the US. They say the kind of specs the USN will enforce on them will be unachievable compared to requirements the existing European ship builders will get in respect to funding.

The IN also gave our ship builders some of the strictest stealth requirements in the world. It is more lax with the Russians.

Look. I have no issues with the Arjun. You are not thinking like a general, you are thinking like one of those peace activists, who want peace no matter what. We don't have the Arjun, we have the T-90. Think about the strengths of the T-90 compared to Arjun because when the Pakistanis come we will have the T-90s and not the Arjuns.

You are acting like a little child who wants the bigger flashier toy right NOW. But you are mad that you are not getting it. Give it more time, there are still issues with the Arjun that need sorted out. It is not viable to shift to another tank when there are already 4 other tanks in service. In 5 years, the Arjun will have better prospects as the old T-72s and T-55s will be phased out. Arjun Mk2, at the rate it is going, is a sure prospect. Like Kunal sir said, the future belongs to Arjun and T-90. T-90s will be inducted first and then the Arjun. By that time the inducted Arjuns will be Mk2s. That's the only difference.

I am ending my discussion with that. Anything more and I will only be repeating myself.

Last edited:

p2prada

Weight is one issue..
Weight is the primary issue. The armour problem is faulty German ERA. The Americans are building their own ERA. Temporary problem if you consider they may be replaced by newer IFVs.

Not tank but IFV, So does the Americans..
Also Chechnya`s tangos get their weapon from Russia only they are more advance than Iraqi tangos..
So, the Americans will continue using more Abrams.

It is about time Russia makes a new tank then. If they don't then the T-90s will be their primary tank.

Yes true enough, But no doubt the stryker concept originally a VDV copy..
Also the vehicles VDV use are superior compare to Americans in terms of mobility and firepower..
Yeah. The US can pump in more troops by air, but not enough vehicles. Comparatively we are no where.

Even if they have the T-90S still it couldn't saved them, coz still Russians have nothing that can face a MIA2 head on, MIA2 superior Armour and ammo is the secret for its victories in Gulf.. [/qote]

A lot of M1s would have died. The M1s have nothing on them against the Refleks.

They were dug in before the war!
The biggest mistake the Iraqis did. The T-types are better off in the open than hidden, especially knowing the enemy has a better sitrep.

IL-76MD is a good plane and it can drop 2 BMPS at a single drop..
In future we may have C17 which will increase our droping capability..
The numbers are not enough. We have only a handful. I am talking about division level and not battalion level.

We dont need to drop the whole army, we need to drop PARA & PARA SF & Light armors, for eg: Each IL-76MD could carry 200 troops and can carry 50 tons..
we have 28 of them..
This is not the equivalent of the 15th Airborne PLAAF or the US 82nd Airborne.

Yes we can say that but still the main concept of combine arms followed by IA, US is of 1939..
Of course, we still do not have a decent networking capability. Army says they will ready for full spectrum of warfare only in 2017.

We would be hard pressed to develop an American equivalent. Their systems will deliver the same fire power as a modern tank. Their N-LOS FCS was supposed to have a 135-155mm gun to provide non-LOS firing as well as delivering tanks shells within LOS. Hard kill systems and EW will deliver better protection compared to modern tanks too.

Indeed!
but only in early stages..
It depends on supply, the Americans are good at that. They proved it in Iraq. If the hard kill systems go the IA way and become laser based, then that will increase the shots limit.

ppgj

@p2p

well, first of all i am happy that some of your family members/friends have been part DRDO/MEG and also that some of your contacts are from USN. great to know that.

I am ending my discussion with that. Anything more and I will only be repeating myself.
i have no intention to further this.

but, let me just add a few words here. the whole point of this debate has 2 sides to it - for me.

1. the fact that "a" particular product is superior (IMO) and happens to be local - which, gives "great options" both in terms of capabilities and future possibilities. besides helping in "self reliance", helping india set up a reasonable industry to back up its military and a freedom from the arm twisting foreign OEMs etc...

2. even if people debating the subject differ "extremely", it still helps both and the rest to "acquire" knowledge which was unknown earlier to each of them - a reason, i am here for. :happy_2:

appreciate and thanks.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Weight is the primary issue. The armour problem is faulty German ERA. The Americans are building their own ERA. Temporary problem if you consider they may be replaced by newer IFVs.
Stryker don't use ERA but anti RPGs nets..

So, the Americans will continue using more Abrams.

It is about time Russia makes a new tank then. If they don't then the T-90s will be their primary tank.
Yes not only now but also in future, Abrams back in 80-90 developed two prototypes one with 140mm cannon and one with unmanned turret with same L44, But they were halted caoz the present Abrams was good enough..

Russia unfortunately dropped T-95 when it was almost ready, though for now only T-80 rule in Russian forces and few newer T-90s..
Yeah. The US can pump in more troops by air, but not enough vehicles. Comparatively we are no where.
A lot of M1s would have died. The M1s have nothing on them against the Refleks.
US drop only its SF and airborne troops same as our PARAs, The no of Airborne US have is grater than our Paras therefore the need more aircrafts and we need wht is enough for us..

The biggest mistake the Iraqis did. The T-types are better off in the open than hidden, especially knowing the enemy has a better sitrep.
They did..

The numbers are not enough. We have only a handful. I am talking about division level and not battalion level.
This is not the equivalent of the 15th Airborne PLAAF or the US 82nd Airborne.
Our paras are not that extended so for now we dont need..

We would be hard pressed to develop an American equivalent. Their systems will deliver the same fire power as a modern tank. Their N-LOS FCS was supposed to have a 135-155mm gun to provide non-LOS firing as well as delivering tanks shells within LOS.
It is not a tank but a modern-lighter SPH, and Arty always have indirect and direct capability..

It depends on supply, the Americans are good at that. They proved it in Iraq.
Their need are different, we need tank ( Arjun) which can spearhead a offensive role and can take massive amount of damage and move forward, ERA and hard kill system will provide protection in early stages but at the end its all abt tank Armour..

ppgj

that is right. it is called "contraption". you can see that in this video -

also i guess it limits the damage done by HEAT rounds.

it carries 105mm gun.

sir, my question is how does it compare with the DRDO light tank which also has 105mm gun?? here-

can you do a comparison of the two. ofcourse the DRDO one is tracked while Stryker is wheeled.

Yes not only now but also in future, Abrams back in 80-90 developed two prototypes one with 140mm cannon and one with unmanned turret with same L44, But they were halted caoz the present Abrams was good enough..
heavy tanks are not going to go away. their advantages in plains and deserts are too overwhelming to disband them. the lighter ones will only complement them IMO.

Russia unfortunately dropped T-95 when it was almost ready, though for now only T-80 rule in Russian forces and few newer T-90s..
Russia has fallen behind in technology wrt to armour. no wonder they are planning to procure that from Rhinemetal, germany - who are the leaders. even Russians realised their folly wrt earlier T-class tanks including T-90 and tried to correct it with T-95 both in basic design and other parameters. i guess, due to their backward technology and to some extent their financial woes, it got nowhere.

however i read sometime back an interesting article about their thinking in terms lighter armoured vehicles (LAV). here -

http://igorrgroup.blogspot.com/2010/06/russian-nxra-for-lavs.html#more

they are also experimenting putting ERA on the LAVs.

US drop only its SF and airborne troops same as our PARAs, The no of Airborne US have is grater than our Paras therefore the need more aircrafts and we need wht is enough for us..
sir it seems IAF transport fleet servicability (as per CAG report) has fallen due to spares, lack of OEM support etc...

AN 32s are being upgraded. even IL 76s need MLU with the new Perma engines.

may be the reason why IAF is going for C-17 Globemaster which will give IAF great strategic airlift capability including airlifting of both Arjun and T-90 tanks (1 at a time).

Their need are different, we need tank ( Arjun) which can spearhead a offensive role and can take massive amount of damage and move forward, ERA and hard kill system will provide protection in early stages but at the end its all abt tank Armour..
spot on.

Last edited by a moderator:

p2prada

No sir. Stryker uses ERA as seen in the picture:

Also this article,

http://www.defpro.com/daily/details/325/
BAE Systems supplied add-on armour for the US Army's Stryker vehicles under a contract issued in March 2005. BAE Systems provided 289 full-vehicle add-on armour (AOA) kits and miscellaneous spares to coincide with the delivery of the fourth brigade of Stryker vehicles to the Army.
I guess the BaE ERA did well. But the contract to GD was sub contracted to some random Germany and they messed up.

And thus your article says,
http://www.guvwurld.org/cgi-bin/liv...Hides Disclosure of Faulty Tanks - 9-5-03.txt
But the ceramic armor tiles are produced for GD by a German subcontractor. The problem arose when the German firm apparently changed the mix of ingredients in the tiles.
Something else I pisked up from the article,
Furthermore, in 2007 General Dynamics has won a contract for the delivery of reactive armour kits for the M-1A1/A2 Abrams tanks, bringing in its own solution.

ERA, maybe for the TUSK upgrade. Arjun will also get a TUSK upgrade in the future.

There was an article by Igor which said the T-90 will get new upgrades that were originally meant for the T-95. It is unfortunate that the program was cancelled in the nth moment.

I am talking about large scale though. Right now, our needs are enough because we are not thinking big.

The American need is greater only because they are better than us. So is the Russian and Chinese requirement for airborne troops.

Our paras are not that extended so for now we dont need..
This is exactly what I mean. We have to extend it and create new capability. We will need another Rs5000-10000 Crore to raise an entire airborne corps. Another 100 Il-76 or C-130 type aircraft would mean another 10000-15000 Crores. This will give us such a big boost, nobody can imagine it. This is worth spending on. This is pretty much the same cost as inducting 1000-1500 Arjuns.

It is not a tank but a modern-lighter SPH, and Arty always have indirect and direct capability..
It does not have the strictest definition of modern tanks because of a smaller profile. But its speed and fire power will surpass all modern tanks. The current American systems are being designed to fight any kind of adversary anywhere in the world.

I don't understand that aspect, "end" what do you mean by "at the end."
Composite armour is your third tier of protection once the ERA and hard kill are exhausted. We don't have much choice with ERA. But if the hard kill is an inexhaustible source, that will boost any tank capability by many times. If you are capable of taking out enemy armour faster, then that plays an important part too.

You cannot rely only on the composite armour alone. That's why the Americans are going for it too.

In top attack mode, the M1 can do nothing even though it has heavy armour. The Leopard is the same and so is the Arjun.

Their current needs will be our future needs.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Guys lets keep the discussions focussed on Arjun, for stryker there is another thread !!

p2prada

Paaji. Talking about the future is important. We can limit our discussion on Stryker to its thread but I would like us to continue the discussion on the FCS. Since it relates to what the IA has and IA wants for the future. The discussion also relates to the T-90 and the Arjun indirectly. We need to make it clear our systems may become obsolete in the future or not.

Anyway Kunal sir,

This is something I managed to rummage from youtube about the FCS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AZe8jOuGpo

Check the 0:30 of the video where the prototype is placed next to a M1 Abrams. This is nearly the same height and size as that of the T-90.
They even want to move the crew below the turret and reduce it to 2 members.

Of course the status of the project is unknown after Obama cancelled the project. It may have been renewed for all we know under the new name.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Anyway Kunal sir,

This is something I managed to rummage from youtube about the FCS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AZe8jOuGpo

Check the 0:30 of the video where the prototype is placed next to a M1 Abrams. This is nearly the same height and size as that of the T-90.
They even want to move the crew below the turret and reduce it to 2 members.

Of course the status of the project is unknown after Obama cancelled the project. It may have been renewed for all we know under the new name.
That projects was not good enough coz it was too small also the crew heavily relied on electronics for visual..
The next generation of AMBTs may be a 140mm with unmanned turret..

Abrams pic..

As the project was halted, the Jordanians picked it up and made it a practical success on their challenger-1..
www.military-today.com/tanks/falcon_turret.htm

Global Defence

New threads

Articles