Kaveri Engine

Tronic

i always think why india cannot get the russian alloys for the better kaveri since we are very close to russians.hal is a real cookie cutter in this matter for the mki they are sourcing the raw material from russia and for its engines also even they are making rd-33 i feel only they are assembling in in india. though our engine is radically different in technology we are much far away in metallurgy from them -- on comparing the russian engine stats i think our engine could get lighter by atleast 100kg.

last time i saw the new specs the bipass changed from .18 to .22 hence the engine that is tested in russsia is giveng more thrust.

atleast if they cant get the core materials no probs but atleast new alloys for the externals which decreases weight atleast for the time being.
Metallurgy and Alloy technology takes years of testing and trial research. The Russians, nor anyone else in this world, is simply going to hand this technology over. If they teach us how to make everything, what will they sell to us?

adyonfire4

I am really happy with the effort by GTRE to attempt and make a Turbofan based afterburning engine .I must say this technology is really tough i am myself a student of mechanical engineering and i know how tough it is to master the technology of IC Engines,turboshafts the amount of effort required is very high it burns every part of brain to make this thing practically work Even the EuroJet Firm said it had taken them (Rolls-Royce) around 90 years to make this thing work and the Indians will make this happen in 45 years it is much more than an achievement the Europeans,Americans have been developing them from decades Hats off to GTRE for this engine tech till now not any nation other than America,Britain,France,Russia have made it you cannot consider chinese because they reverse engineered them.

rudresh

Country flag
Metallurgy and Alloy technology takes years of testing and trial research. The Russians, nor anyone else in this world, is simply going to hand this technology over. If they teach us how to make everything, what will they sell to us?

i dont think so then how hal is making the whole engines here from raw materials but it is true for the core i think so. except the core there are many areas where we can utilize the alloy combinations in kaveri . just see and compare the devil lengths and diameter for rd-33 and kaveri. kaveri if changed to that specs may beat the rd 33 in thrust.

well just from the horses mouth- hal koraput engine division

The Engine Division at Koraput, a unit of HAL's vast network, has the unique distinction of being one amongst the few Aero Engine manufacturers in the world.

The spectrum of manufacturing facilities extends literally from the production of nuts and bolts to discs, shafts, blades, forgings and castings - all that are required to make an Aero Engine right from the Raw materials.

Last edited:

adyonfire4

Size has nothing to do with the complexity. The M88-3 is a generation ahead of Russian engine design of the same class. RD-33MK is 10% larger with 10% less performance. The most current example of their failed industry is the JV between Saturn and Snecma to produce SaM146 for SSJ-100. We make the core, FADEC, accessory drive and integration while Russians only make the low pressure section and final assembly. Superjet is delayed because Russians can't even do that. They came to us for the very fact their engine technology is behind ours and they can't build it when we ship them the high end components they ordered.
I would say that France Snecma is 2 nd in terms of technology of turbofan engines and the best is Pratt and Whitney the kind of tech both these firms have is not possible for Russia to catch up now i think 10-14 years after wards they might get to the same level.I regularly watch the ALH Dhruv which is powered by Snecma Engines Buzzing over my Engineering college and i am a fan of those .

youngindian

Country flag
IAF still insists on Indigenous kaveri-MK2

Indian air force as per our sources is still insisting that GTRE Proposed joint venture with France's Snecma Moteurs on re-design and re-development of Kaveri-MK2 to be done locally by GTRE it self ,which will help the company and india master new generation of turbo fan engine technology .
http://idrw.org/?p=1518

SpArK

SORCERER
Kaveri Crosses First Test Bed Milestone

In the middle of the Osama chaos in the newsroom, this statement from the DRDO:

Kaveri Engine was integrated with IL-76 aircraft which is a well established Flying Test Bed (FTB) for engines at Gromov Flight Research Institute (GFRI), Russia. The Flight trials commenced on 3rd Nov 2010. Kaveri engine is one among the four engines on the Flying Test Bed platform.

Eleven flight tests for about 20 hours duration have been completed till April 2011. The flight tests successfully carried out so far are up to 12 km maximum altitude and a maximum forward speed of 0.7 Mach No. The tests conducted so far include testing for engine performance under different operating conditions of the engine. With this the first phase of Kaveri engine FTB trials have been completed successfully and further tests will continue from May 2011 onwards.

http://livefist.blogspot.com/2011/0...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

SpArK

SORCERER
Kaveri Engine Flying Test Bed (FTB) Trials Completed

Kaveri Engine was integrated with IL-76 aircraft which is a well established Flying Test Bed (FTB) for engines at Gromov Flight Research Institute (GFRI), Russia. The Flight trials commenced on 3rd Nov 2010. Kaveri engine is one among the four engines on the Flying Test Bed platform.

Eleven flight tests for about 20 hours duration have been completed till April 2011. The flight tests successfully carried out so far are up to 12 km maximum altitude and a maximum forward speed of 0.7 Mach No. The tests conducted so far include testing for engine performance under different operating conditions of the engine. With this the first phase of Kaveri engine FTB trials have been completed successfully and further tests will continue from May 2011 onwards.

DRDO

http://chhindits.blogspot.com/2011/05/kaveri-engine-flying-test-bed-ftb.html?spref=tw

Parthy

Air Warrior
India's Kaveri engine inches close towards operationalisation

India's indigenously-built Kaveri engine for military aircraft has successfully passed a series of tests on a Russian Il-76 aircraft recently using it as Flight Test Bed (FTB) at a Russian facility.

"The recently conducted tests were a significant step towards operationalisation of Kaveri engine.

"A Russian Il-76 transporter was used as the FTB to conduct 11 successful trials totalling over 20 hours till April," Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) spokesperson said here Monday.

Elaborating on using Il-76 as FTB, he said, "Kaveri was replaced with one of the four engines of the Il-76. The tests were carried out up to 12 km maximum altitude and a maximum forward speed of 0.7 Mach and under different operating conditions."

Developed by Bangalore-based Gas Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE) under DRDO, the engine recently passed ground tests before being transported to Gromov Flight Research Institute in Russia for simulated flights and FTB trials.

So far, India has spent over $455 million in last two decades to develop the engine which was first designed to fly the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas. A major setback occurred when it could not generate desired thrust to make the aircraft airborne.

http://www.brahmand.com/news/India’...ose-towards-operationalisation/6936/1/10.html

Param

Can somebody shed light on why we cannot use our own IL 76 aircraft as test bed? Do the Russians not allow us to to do that and are modifications required. In the future if we have to test the successor of Kaveri and we have to send it to Russia for testing I don't think its good.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
^^
It is not that simple, apart from modification, you need to have corresponding instrumentation to collect the test data. There is no such facility with us as of now. Until we invest in those areas, we have to go there for tests

lambu

India's own jet engine completes test in Russia

NEW DELHI: After spending more than Rs 400 crore, the ambitious project to develop a jet engine to power homemade combat jets seems to have finally been brought on track.

Kaveri, India's jet engine, has achieved an important milestone in Russia where it has been tested on a IL-76 transport aircraft successfully.

Defence scientists are satisfied with the performance of the engine at Flight Test Bed facility in Russia where 11 trials have been carried out.

Till last month, the trials have logged 20 hours of flying.

The Russian IL-76 transport aircraft, also flown extensively by IAF, is a four engine aircraft. During the trials, one of the engines was replaced by Kaveri for the testing purposes. The engine went through various performance parameters during the flight.

Defence Research and Development Organisation officials have been upbeat about the achievement that could lead to full operationalisation of the engine. The tests were carried out up to 12 km (around 40,000 ft) of altitude and a maximum forward speed of 0.7 Mach under different operating conditions.

Before it was fitted onto IL-76, Kaveri underwent extensive ground test at Gromov Flight Research Institute in Russia. The achievement is significant as critics had favoured that the project, initiated more than two decades ago, should be shelved because a lot of money was wasted and scientists had hit a dead end. It was then decided to look for foreign partners.

The engine required optimisation for lower weight and higher performance for it to be used in Light Combat Aircraft and the other next general aircraft for IAF. It was then decided that the Gas Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE) would join hands with Russian Central Institute of Aviation Motors for taking the Kaveri project forward.

After the latest trial, Kaveri is now flight worthy. Between 2007 and 2010, the government spent around `422 crore on the project.

Scientists hope that it would soon be ready for full integration with the IAF fighter jet programme.

http://expressbuzz.com/nation/indias-own-jet-engine-completes-test-in-russia/271314.html

SNB

Hi guys , writing for the first time on this thread, i am very impressed with the advancement in the Kaveri so far the thrust with afterburners is 81.0 kn and without afterburners as tested in the Russian test complex is 70.0 kn(these stats i read in an indian news paper , i will try to give a link in the future). Which is up from initial 65kn . What i don't understand is why the need France Snecma to further develope the engine when the current M88 (base model) thrust with full afterburner is 75kn. I do understand it overweight by 15% but surely that can be overcome through further testing .
On a similar note its just mind boggling why not use the current low powered Kaveri for the IJT, LCH ,the civilian MTA aswell as the power plant for the Arjun tank ? They have shown the successful Use of Kaveri derivative (water jet propulsion)on warships . Surely the more they make use of this technology the more money they earn and more expertise and knowhow they gain which in turn will help the further development of the engine. Depending on the French and SPECIALLY the Americans for engine tech is sheer lunacy when its been proven they tend to slap on sanctions for what is obviously their national interest and to keep indian economic and tech development to a minimum so we will forever be dependent on the west for tech. Please correct me if i am wrong in any of the my statements .

rudresh

Country flag
. I do understand it overweight by 15% but surely that can be overcome through further testing .
it is not going to be solved by further tests matellurgical knowledge is a must with lighter and stronger alloys kaveri so that can go further.anyways they will not be parting with any thing significant but we can get some core material from french to assemble in india which will be utilized in kaveri mk2 {m88 eco core + external indian inputs}

in no way french are going to help with kaveri they provide materials only to m88 eco core and the rest of the work is noncritical .........GTRE has asked some tot for some things like BLISK AND SC BLADES and may get them by the end of the programme.....some thing is better than nothing philosophy.

with the american engine export of tejas is not possible so the circus, french are much reliable than americans if money is present.french are not capable of exeeding the m88 core s thrust to more than 95kn ..thats the end mostly for this decade.

SuperCommandoDhruv

Tihar Jail
Banned
in no way french are going to help with kaveri they provide materials only to m88 eco core and the rest of the work is noncritical .........GTRE has asked some tot for some things like BLISK AND SC BLADES and may get them by the end of the programme...
French have refused to transfer these technologies to India. Snecma's m88 core will be made in France and then transported to India where GTRE will integrate non-core systems to it. There is no technology transfer in this yet-tobe-signed deal.

Some people have wrong impression that French will transfer technology for money. Not even Russia will do that.

Anyways, India doesn't need SC blades now. DRDO-made SC blades have been used in improved Kaveri prototypes under flight tests in Russia. And as expected by technicians in GTRE, Kaveri is maturing fast. It has moved from 65KN to 80KN now, result of massive improvement in material technologies achieved post-2000, when Vajpayee approved additional material R&D fundings.

If IAF maintains its support behind Kaveri and doesn't close its funding(like they did with Marut), then in next 10 years, Indians can easily lower the gap between western and Indian engine technology.

Congrats to GTRE. You are making even Israelis jealous! Cheers!

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Is there any video of LCA flying with a Kaveri engine?

SuperCommandoDhruv

Tihar Jail
Banned
Two weeks back, news came from Russia - Kaveri engine passed phase-I flight-trials and declared as flight-worthy engine.

And, now this. I smell something here.

I won't call it just coincidence. There are about 60 herbal Spa, massage parlours in Bangaluru. Why police raided that 'particular' one, on that 'particular time' of the day?

Interesting timing.

T Mohan Rao is a man of honour. He has given a lot to GTRE and to this country(of hypocrites and leg-pullers) and got us our first "flight-worthy" cryogenic engine. Let's hope someone doesn't pick this incident to settle scores. Its time to stand behind him and not start silly leg-pulling.

Personally, I would prefer a s3x-crazy genius, than those spineless m0therf*ckers who are running this country today.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles