INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag
Another thing that caught my eye is the heavy smoke from the barrel, after firing only two rounds and its a bit unusual even for PDWs (This category does release a lot of smoke). Even if IA selects this weapon shouldn't be given to frontline troops.
in the comments he has said that the video was merged and a total of 3 mags were fired. He had posted the entire video as well.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
in the comments he has said that the video was merged and a total of 3 mags were fired. He had posted the entire video as well.
You mean this video that he posted?? My analysis is also based on this video!!
I also forgot to mention the most important aspect is that the officer was firing this weapon in a single burst mode in both the magazines, still there seems to be a lot of smoke emission. I can only imagine what happens after fully automatic firing.

Spindrift

I also forgot to mention the most important aspect is that the officer was firing this weapon in a single burst mode in both the magazines, still there seems to be a lot of smoke emission. I can only imagine what happens after fully automatic firing.
The majority of the smoke is coming out from the left hand side of the gun, right where the charging handle rests. Could it be due to a questionable quality of lubricant being used?

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
The majority of the smoke is coming out from the left hand side of the gun, right where the charging handle rests. Could it be due to a questionable quality of lubricant being used?
Or could also be the quality of gas piston being used.

Adrian Corvus

Country flag
Have a look at the second video in that thread, the one by Sandeep Unnithan
Now, I don't know how long that has been fired neither am I an expert but I don't see much smoke coming out of that.

Killbot

Country flag
No, it is the open bolt blowback action of the Uzi. Gas comes out of the chamber of long stroke piston driven guns too. And makes noise. Nothing to do with lubricants. AKs have a similar signature.

@Vishalreddy3

Killbot

Country flag
Have a look at the second video in that thread, the one by Sandeep Unnithan
Now, I don't know how long that has been fired neither am I an expert but I don't see much smoke coming out of that.
Lighting... JVPC will have one hell of a signature, owing to the action and barrel length. By signature, I mean muzzle flash and gases.

Killbot

Country flag
All PDWs have similar signatures. Long stroke enhances it further for JVPC as you mentioned.

For Example:
HK MP7

FNP90
Barrel length is inversely proportional to amount of rifle signature, sound emitted, reliability, recoil (more to do with length of gas system, if any)...

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
JVPC is product of a joint venture between SAF Kanpur (OFB) and ARDE(DRDO). It's earlier avatar called Milaap was a SAF Kanpur product, which went head to head with Amogh carbine(based on INSAS) and emerged as a winner around 2010. However, there were still some firing issues with Milaap, so the help of ARDE was sought and subsequently, it was named Joint Venture Production carbine (JVPC). Hence, its production can't be handed to private sector, since from the beginning it was an OFB product. DRDO can do that with MCIWS though, which is its own design.
Similarly, INSAS base design was a DRDO design. However, the current avatar of INSAS that is Excalibur MK1C and 7.62*51mm R2 is OFB product.
Ahem, if OFB is shut down, then its technically not a handover :)

Killbot

Country flag
Too much knowledge can kill common sense :crazy:

what looking like a lot of smoke is actually normal. its just because of black dark background and cold weather.
No, not really. It is the action of the gun.

Knowledge only reinforces common sense.

aditya g

Country flag
I did compare it to the MP7. They have some significant differences :

• 5.56x30 >>> 4.6x30 mm

• The MP7 is 1 Kg lighter than the JVPC.

• The HK33 style of charging handle on the JVPC will not allow for a full length picatinny rail.

• The barrel issue is true, however there is a catch. To maintain a similar KE as the 5.56x30 mm, the 4.6x30 mm has a higher muzzle velocity which leads to a louder supersonic crack.

• You need the silencer on the MP7 to keep it safe-ish for hearing. There is also much higher barrel pressure in a smaller barreled gun.
How does JVPC compare to;

- BT MP9
- Amogh

@Johny_Baba @Gessler

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles