Indian Special Forces

Kumaoni

Shit happens.Dozens of MacvSog teams were vanished into thin air without even a trace during Vietnam war.A well placed ambush could wipe out the whole squad even before you realise what hit you.
No amount of training will save you if you step foot into the awaiting enemy's killzone.Remember what happened to Green berets in Mali.
Though I don't know the specifics,such combing ops should involve large RR teams and throwing away small teams of SF to sweep large areas to hunt down hiding enemies is not a bright move.
If Ukraine,Iran , Azerbaijan,Turkey all could amass large number of drones why couldn't IA buy drones and deploy them in such ops?
The poonch ambush they released yesterday was literally a case of the IA sending men to their death. L shaped ambush and only 1 out of the 5 men were armed carrying fruits for fucking iftar. Same shit in poonch literally sending men to their death with zero info, useless pathetic GHQ ngl.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
The poonch ambush they released yesterday was literally a case of the IA sending men to their death. L shaped ambush and only 1 out of the 5 men were armed carrying fruits for fucking iftar. Same shit in poonch literally sending men to their death with zero info, useless pathetic GHQ ngl.
Any link for the video? Tried to get it but without any luck

Jedi Operator

Country flag
So a lot of people keep saying, Indian SF isn't based on a tier system like the US. I was reading PC Katoch's book today and found this, that we had a two-tier system set up theoretically in 1985-86, a SFR was being formed

"The Committee also felt that certain concrete steps needed to be taken to create a true Special Forces capability. This would be structured under a two-tier system. The first tier would be the Para Commando units for the conduct of theatre specific tactical operations. In the second tier, the committee felt that a Special Group be created for the conduct of a national level and Army Headquarters related strategic military special operations. Army Headquarters would exercise command and control of these units through a Special Forces Headquarters ."

Simultaneously the IN, was forming it's own sf capabilities from the CD branch, called the IMSF. IMSF was trained at the level of SG but for maritime ops, until the name and mandate got changed again. A point that should be noted here is that by first tier and second tier they meant Para Cmdos would be used like Rangers or GBs what US would describe as Tier 2. But SG was supposed to be tip of the spear.

Jedi Operator

Country flag
Another one on the training
"A year before the call (Sri Lanka), the unit had been practicing grueling exercises designed by Col Tej Pathak, its new Commanding Officer. Col Pathak was a veteran of the first commando raid across the Line of Control in the Poonch sector during the 1971 war. He had been an integral part of the battalion and was steeped in the Special Forces tradition. He had a fair inkling that the unit needed to change its orientation if it had to survive future wars and he put together a punishing schedule for his commandos. There would be night marches and camps in high altitude areas where they would be expected to maintain strict time lines. Col Pathak knew that it was important to shape the unit from a mere Commando unit into a true Special Forces unit. Having spent time reading through literature on the SAS and the US Special Forces, he began to formulate training methods that were unique. He would start working on the firing skills of his men and also their ability to navigate. The idea was to create small teams with excellent and varied skills that could be used when inserted behind enemy lines for special operations. Slippages would be looked down upon and there was a growing anger within the unit at the tough methods being used to train them. But a few weeks into Sri Lanka most of the officers and men began to realise that Col Pathak’s tactics, though brutal and unforgiving, would prove to be of immense value in the killing fields of Sri Lanka. When the conflict in Sri Lanka would start, the hard training would be responsible for honing raw material that was ripe to be moulded into a good Special Forces operator "

JConline

Country flag
So a lot of people keep saying, Indian SF isn't based on a tier system like the US. I was reading PC Katoch's book today and found this, that we had a two-tier system set up theoretically in 1985-86, a SFR was being formed

"The Committee also felt that certain concrete steps needed to be taken to create a true Special Forces capability. This would be structured under a two-tier system. The first tier would be the Para Commando units for the conduct of theatre specific tactical operations. In the second tier, the committee felt that a Special Group be created for the conduct of a national level and Army Headquarters related strategic military special operations. Army Headquarters would exercise command and control of these units through a Special Forces Headquarters ."

Simultaneously the IN, was forming it's own sf capabilities from the CD branch, called the IMSF. IMSF was trained at the level of SG but for maritime ops, until the name and mandate got changed again. A point that should be noted here is that by first tier and second tier they meant Para Cmdos would be used like Rangers or GBs what US would describe as Tier 2. But SG was supposed to be tip of the spear.
No wonder MARCOS is still the more rounded out SF in India.
Does this Tier system still exist today? And if so, how does it stand now?

Jedi Operator

Country flag
No wonder MARCOS is still the more rounded out SF in India.
Does this Tier system still exist today? And if so, how does it stand now?
I asked a vetran MARCO some questions, the only ones he answered and what I came to know is AFSOD is based upon JSOC and is the tip of the spear selecting seasoned operators. And MARCOs operators dont join SG, I guess their was a picture of a MARCOs wearing SG badge, idk how that happened but SG is only for the Army. MARCOs have a well structured training program better funded and prepared than any other Indian SF unit. MARCOs have spearheaded all of Navy's major operations overtly or clandestinely. He said every great thing has been existing on paper for a long time. To be operational is a different thing, slowly that too is happening as we can see. But it should've happened a long time ago. We have delayed it by a decade in terms of equip. alone

Additionally, some of the info for which I wont name the source was that SG was set up similar to Delta Force, Seryat Matkal and SAS. However, with the Army Parachute regiment units not showing any interest in SF Regiment. So, R&AW decided to keep SG operational under their own cell so as not to derail it's capabilities. But SG's strategic role remained undefined for a long time. It would'nt be alright to compare it with anyone. They might be held similar to Delta, ISA, SAD, GRS whatever. They do what they are told to. Many of these roles may come in

DIE UwU

Country flag
Any link for the video? Tried to get it but without any luck
i think they have only released the pics till now
They released a small clip from the footage, they indeed used the IED after the firefight to blow the vehicle.I wont post the video here as it shows a soldier being shot in leg, screaming and bleeding at a very close range.
I am an old member, just forgot my id password to last account so a new one.

JConline

Country flag
I asked a vetran MARCO some questions, the only ones he answered and what I came to know is AFSOD is based upon JSOC and is the tip of the spear selecting seasoned operators. And MARCOs operators dont join SG, I guess their was a picture of a MARCOs wearing SG badge, idk how that happened but SG is only for the Army. MARCOs have a well structured training program better funded and prepared than any other Indian SF unit. MARCOs have spearheaded all of Navy's major operations overtly or clandestinely. He said every great thing has been existing on paper for a long time. To be operational is a different thing, slowly that too is happening as we can see. But it should've happened a long time ago. We have delayed it by a decade in terms of equip. alone

Additionally, some of the info for which I wont name the source was that SG was set up similar to Delta Force, Seryat Matkal and SAS. However, with the Army Parachute regiment units not showing any interest in SF Regiment. So, R&AW decided to keep SG operational under their own cell so as not to derail it's capabilities. But SG's strategic role remained undefined for a long time. It would'nt be alright to compare it with anyone. They might be held similar to Delta, ISA, SAD, GRS whatever. They do what they are told to. Many of these roles may come in
That's motivating. Thanks for the copium, my friend.

abingdonboy

Country flag

Isn’t this just evidence that all Indian SF are tier 2 in nature and tactical level assets only? As is known they are basically only used by local commanders and there is no direct link to central leadership

SG is SG, they do seem to only get serious work but they Aren’t a tier 1 national missions unit as is described here or the kind the the US has

abingdonboy

Country flag

Sorry but calling AFSOD JSOC shows that your friend doesn’t understand what JSOC is. JSOC is NOT a single unit made up of the US’s best operators. JSOC is a command (as the name suggests) under which certain military units from the various branches of the US Military are contained within. JSOC has a national mission mandate with a command chain directed from the very senior most executive and military level.

US SOCOM is a separate thing, units like Delta actually predate SOCOM and JSOC.

The Naresh Chandra Task Force created in the early 2010s to see how to implement the Kargil review committee’s recommendations recommend 3 new tri-service commands; cyber, space and special operations.

AFSOD was created as an INTERIM EXPERIMENT to predate a full blown command (INSOCOM) which would encompass the majority of the 3 services’ SF personnel and various SF support assets they have (like SF aviation units). This will become even more important when/if theatre commands emerge

so >20 years later and this cr@p is still just on trail and based on recent reports around AFSOD it doesn’t seem like they are having much success in figuring out what to do with it.

for india to have a JSOC it would need to raise tier 1 units/capabilities within the various branches first. AFSOD is definitely not a JSOC, it’s utter nonsense to make such a claim.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles