Indian Special Forces

jai jaganath

Country flag
When we heard about AFSOD being based at bangalore ,My first thought was 2 para sf will be army's hand of AFSOD and thats why they placed AFSOD at bangalore to be near both PRTC and 2 PARA HQ.
Looks like Army have made a scuffed arrangement for AFSOD where they based Naval and AF SOF within 2 PARA.
I dont consider this a good arrangement as it just shows that even though its "tri-service" its still the Army leading the charge and we all what happens when it comes to SF being handled by the Army.
I don't want to say but as one member stressed this afsod will be based on structure like jsoc rather ussocom
Even even they don't and won't pocess iota of jsoc capability with structure seems to be like that
That is particular unit will be part from trial service for form this institution
Before @abingdonboy gets triggered with comparing them with jsoc I repeat they aren't even iota of jsoc capability just structure I am speaking irrespective of their reporting too
Bhawanaye samjhe post nahi kripiya karke

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
electrocution apparently
Not electrocution.

The parachute got entangled in high-tension wire. Soldier freed himself from the parachute and jumped to the ground, due to which we he was gravely injured and succumbed to his injuries later.

Perhaps if he waited instead of jumping he would have survived.

abingdonboy

Country flag
When we heard about AFSOD being based at bangalore ,My first thought was 2 para sf will be army's hand of AFSOD and thats why they placed AFSOD at bangalore to be near both PRTC and 2 PARA HQ.
Looks like Army have made a scuffed arrangement for AFSOD where they based Naval and AF SOF within 2 PARA.
I dont consider this a good arrangement as it just shows that even though its "tri-service" its still the Army leading the charge and we all what happens when it comes to SF being handled by the Army.
Again, you don’t understand what these terms mean-JSOC, AFSOD, SOCOM etc

JSOC is not a multi service ultra elite unit. It’s just a command. So saying that they are carving out a tri-service SF unit from 2 para navy, AF etc just makes no sense.

and again there’s zero historical evidence to support your assertion, the intention of AFSOD is explicitly as a trail run for a SOCOM, no Indian govt entity has ever made the suggestion that a JSOC is needed, SOCOM has always been the idea.

to have JSOC you’d first need tiers in the SOF

Not everyone can blindly ape the US, form follows function and not the inverse

abingdonboy

Country flag
H
I don't want to say but as one member stressed this afsod will be based on structure like jsoc rather ussocom
Even even they don't and won't pocess iota of jsoc capability with structure seems to be like that
That is particular unit will be part from trial service for form this institution
Before @abingdonboy gets triggered with comparing them with jsoc I repeat they aren't even iota of jsoc capability just structure I am speaking irrespective of their reporting too
Bhawanaye samjhe post nahi kripiya karke
having a ‘JSOC’ and no SOCOM is peak Indian BS and copiom so it just might be true

poorly designed, even worse execution- right on brand for Indian strategic solutions

abingdonboy

Country flag
Not electrocution.

The parachute got entangled in high-tension wire. Soldier freed himself from the parachute and jumped to the ground, due to which we he was gravely injured and succumbed to his injuries later.

Perhaps if he waited instead of jumping he would have survived.
What genius thought to sign off on a para jump in the vicinity of high tension transmission lines?

just like with the training, tactics and equipment shortfalls, it’s apparent the senior leadership couldn’t care less about the men below them

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
What genius thought to sign off on a para jump in the vicinity of high tension transmission lines?

just like with the training, tactics and equipment shortfalls, it’s apparent the senior leadership couldn’t care less about the men below them
Or perhaps, the winds drifted him away? Agra is long been used to train paratroopers, they have dedicated sites for para-jumping. It is not a random countryside.

Interesting habit developing among members to immediately grab the throats of armed forces for anything uncomfortable.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Or perhaps, the winds drifted him away? Agra is long been used to train paratroopers, they have dedicated sites for para-jumping. It is not a random countryside.

Interesting habit developing among members to immediately grab the throats of armed forces for anything uncomfortable.
right so wind drift is something the super experienced para school at Agra has never seen before? In any professional setting where there’s even a slight risk margins of error have to be factored in.

someone screwed up here (big time) and it cost a brave man his life. An interesting habit of some to continuously excuse blatant incompetence or at the very least negligence which all too often goes entirely unpunished

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
right so wind drift is something the super experienced para school at Agra has never seen before? In any professional setting where there’s even a slight risk margins of error have to be factored in.

someone screwed up here (big time) and it cost a brave man his life. An interesting habit of some to continuously excuse blatant incompetence or at the very least negligence which all too often goes entirely unpunished
  • Metrological predictions are pretty hard even with today's advanced technology.
  • Rising hot air during these summer months can create erratic wind patterns almost impossible to predict.
  • The para-jumper could have steered the parachute to avoid the high-tension wire (not too fluent control, but some degree of control is indeed present).

In any professional setting where there’s even a slight risk margins of error have to be factored in.
Are we talking about armed forces or kindergarten play school? Being in the Indian Armed Forces is risky enough from the start.
But sure dude, carry on with Armed forces bashing if it satisfies you :truestory:

vidhwanshak

Country flag

didn't really get your argument here.
In case of war, you won't make your soldiers para jump to a certain location just because of chances of electrocution?
why do you rule out a possibility of individual error?

abingdonboy

Country flag
didn't really get your argument here.
In case of war, you won't make your soldiers para jump to a certain location just because of chances of electrocution?
why do you rule out a possibility of individual error?
Is this wartime? For para jumping during peacetime every sensible military will de-risk the activity as much as possible.

individual error maybe but he should never have been in the position where he was having to dodge transmissions lines, I’m pretty sure any operations officer in a western military would be appalled to see this

abingdonboy

Country flag
  • Metrological predictions are pretty hard even with today's advanced technology.
  • Rising hot air during these summer months can create erratic wind patterns almost impossible to predict.
  • The para-jumper could have steered the parachute to avoid the high-tension wire (not too fluent control, but some degree of control is indeed present).

Are we talking about armed forces or kindergarten play school? Being in the Indian Armed Forces is risky enough from the start.
But sure dude, carry on with Armed forces bashing if it satisfies you :truestory:
My point is whatever the wind or man did on the day should be irrelevant, any good plan would’ve accounted for the worst of the worst case scenarios (most extreme wind drift with an unconscious para jumper). That a para jumper ended up in this situation is a failure in his leadership

if you want to excuse this as an unpreventable accident, then this will happen again and again.

as someone that knows a thing or two about flight planning and wind forecasting, the planned vs real winds are very rarely sufficiently different to excuse this kind of thing and if they are then the base’s met team needs to be updated AND they need to be more stringent in their go/no go criteria (anything over Xts is an abort). Every tragedy needs to be treated as such, not excused

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Is this wartime? For para jumping during peacetime every sensible military will de-risk the activity as much as possible.

individual error maybe but he should never have been in the position where he was having to dodge transmissions lines, I’m pretty sure any operations officer in a western military would be appalled to see this
I agree with your peacetime argument 👍

Leading forces worldwide, including US & Israel do not wargame extreme scenarios in-person but instead use simulators. I have multiple first-hand accounts of accidents happening because the situation was too risky.

A recent example, is the mid-air collision b/w Su-30MKI and Mirage-2000.

Jedi Operator

Country flag
My point is whatever the wind or man did on the day should be irrelevant, any good plan would’ve accounted for the worst of the worst case scenarios (most extreme wind drift with an unconscious para jumper). That a para jumper ended up in this situation is a failure in his leadership

if you want to excuse this as an unpreventable accident, then this will happen again and again.

as someone that knows a thing or two about flight planning and wind forecasting, the planned vs real winds are very rarely sufficiently different to excuse this kind of thing and if they are then the base’s met team needs to be updated AND they need to be more stringent in their go/no go criteria (anything over Xts is an abort). Every tragedy needs to be treated as such, not excused
Rob O' Neil talks about it after his teammates Lance Vaccaro and Brett Shadle died in different freefall accidents. He said exactly this, the senior leadership doesn't seem to care. If anyone still has a doubt, look upto how Major Jacob described our freefall training as, dont get it as "our guys need no equipment", it is very much what he said that "this is stupid, and people will get killed"

DIE UwU

Country flag
Again, you don’t understand what these terms mean-JSOC, AFSOD, SOCOM etc

JSOC is not a multi service ultra elite unit. It’s just a command. So saying that they are carving out a tri-service SF unit from 2 para navy, AF etc just makes no sense.

and again there’s zero historical evidence to support your assertion, the intention of AFSOD is explicitly as a trail run for a SOCOM, no Indian govt entity has ever made the suggestion that a JSOC is needed, SOCOM has always been the idea.

to have JSOC you’d first need tiers in the SOF

Not everyone can blindly ape the US, form follows function and not the inverse
Bhai kya bol rha hai?
Maina to JSOC , SOCOM ke bare main to kuch bola he nhi, main to ya kaha rha tha ke AFSOD jo bhi hai, army potentially spear heading it is not a good thing, misquote kardiya kya ?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles