Indian Special Forces

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
If I am to have a sniper rifle, I would prefer a system based on the Lapua Magnum for it's obvious advantages. Also PKMG is reliable but not modular, also because it's open breech weapon, operators can't carry the weapon loaded. It's a problem in case of a fleeting contact and sitting in the ambushes.
Do you feel designated marksman are required in our operations? Because realistically our “snipers” have been DMRs like the Galatz and Dragunov?

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
I would say they are almost same, but what weapon is firing the calibres make the difference.
Sir according to you for the SF should they now go for ar15 platform or go for new x95 type bullpups and did you have any problems with the 5.56 ?

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
There are bayonets with the SIG, South Korean made. I don't see the need of bayonets.
Some of them argued that in the recent clashes with China in Ladakh, while China used traditional spears and sticks with nails, in a few clashes we supposedly used INSAS rifles with bayonets, but I couldn't find any info to back this claim. Also AFAIK at the time of these clashes firearms were not carried in this area?
They said we had an advantage due to the length of the INSAS rifle over their weapons and their standard guns which are bullpups with bayonets.

AVINASH4061

Country flag
If people want to
Some of them argued that in the recent clashes with China in Ladakh, while China used traditional spears and sticks with nails, in a few clashes we supposedly used INSAS rifles with bayonets, but I couldn't find any info to back this claim. Also AFAIK at the time of these clashes firearms were not carried in this area?
They said we had an advantage due to the length of the INSAS rifle over their weapons and their standard guns which are bullpups with bayonets.
If folks want to argue for the sake of it, I have no words. Are you implying INSAS + bayonet vs QBZ+ bayonet? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
If people want to
If folks want to argue for the sake of it, I have no words. Are you implying INSAS + bayonet vs QBZ+ bayonet? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
That's what they were using in their argument for bayonets, one set felt it was a waste of money as the MLOK bayonet mount itself costs ~$50-60 and is no longer relevant.

Ujjain

Country flag
If I am to have a sniper rifle, I would prefer a system based on the Lapua Magnum for it's obvious advantages. Also PKMG is reliable but not modular, also because it's open breech weapon, operators can't carry the weapon loaded. It's a problem in case of a fleeting contact and sitting in the ambushes.
Negev 7/7SF would be better fit. Army is also acquiring them. So atleast something is enroute....

Articles