Indian Special Forces

Killbot

Country flag
MMG fires a bigger round and LMG is operated by 1 man whereas MMG by a team of 2-3.
Well, not really. Our Negev "LMG" fires the same round as FN MAG MMG. The difference is in the weight of the guns, barrel length and rate of fire. MAG is heavier, longer and shoots more rpms. It requires 2 men for optimal performance. It is used on vehicles and to defend Bunkers here. LMGs are issued as a force multiplier to each infantry section. Roles are different.

MMGs are also pretty accurate (as are LMGs in semi-auto, which is one of the greatest strengths of Negev. Can double up as a DMR with a good optic and semi auto.) and low recoil due to the weight and barrel length. Also has much longer range. After all, it does not need to shoot human sized targets, but just suppress enemy movement. Just shooting in the general direction will do the trick.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Situation is such that once Negev NG7 and the new OFB 7.62 LMG are inducted, both LMG and MMG will be of the same calibre, so only difference would be whet there is a bipod or a tripod 😂
Army got a new competition for LMGs running OFB LMG will have to beat negev to win it to get inducted

AVINASH4061

Country flag
Sir, as per my opinion, carbines won't be effective much in case of mountain warfare, Now coming to our potential future weaponry, we will be having Sigs and AK203. Ak203 when equipped wid proper sights will be more than enough in case of guns for defensive roles as the troops can occupy defensive positions on heights on our sides and take out targets and a longer range by properly using the advantage of altitude and delay further advancements of their troops( there are other aspects too as use of airforce and artillery and counter use of these from our side will be a factor ) Sigs along with the upgraded Dragunov and some new snipers will be an addition to them along with better machine guns for taking out a larger group of enemy forces in areas which are strategically important and thus has a large enemy concentration. Some dmrs can be used for scattered missions for taking out enemy HVTs and small enemy squad patrols in the battlefield, I also remember an instance of Iraq war where a jihadi did so by taking out squads in the field using his Dragunov svd, this type of tactics can have a major role in breaking the morale of the enemy troops. Main work can be done by AK and rest guns will be supplementing the battle.. In case of offensive warfare. the sigs will have a much greater role as its ha higher calibre gun and will be used to kill troops on top of cliff whereas assault rifles will be in a support role and will be used at a much closer range, and that too would be a problem as the height advantage of enemy troops will be a problem...
No offence, you have typed so much content but still have not mentioned the specifics. My request is don't look at a weapon only from the SF perspective when the Govt is wanting to buy it. It's primarily for the infantry, in our case more to do with the warfare in mountains. Also our SF has the conventional roles mostly in the mtns, also in the deserts. Knowing the specifics of offensive and defensive battle shall give all you people more clarity on how to assess a weapon system.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
No offence, you have typed so much content but still have not mentioned the specifics. My request is don't look at a weapon only from the SF perspective when the Govt is wanting to buy it. It's primarily for the infantry, in our case more to do with the warfare in mountains. Also our SF has the conventional roles mostly in the mtns, also in the deserts. Knowing the specifics of offensive and defensive battle shall give all you people more clarity on how to assess a weapon system.
Whats your perspective sir? @AVINASH4061

Scramjet

Country flag

AVINASH4061

Country flag
Not exactly what Maj Avinash asked, but I feel we're very much behind in modern carrier borne mortar systems with integrated FCS. I believe the Chinese have several pieces like this.
View attachment 92523
View attachment 92524
The Israelli company Soltam made this for Thailand using a TATA LPTA.
That's a wonderful equipment, but its efficacy in the mountains need to be validated. Else it ll only be useful in the desert and plains.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
That's a wonderful equipment, but its efficacy in the mountains need to be validated. Else it ll only be useful in the desert and plains.
The Chinese are using similar equipments in large quantities, as I’m told the maneuverability of these things is advantageous in the mountains .

ALBY

Section Moderator
Country flag
They are good but now obsolete, given the equipments available in the world.
I am sure u would have came across many more equipment which are not in our arsenal, but through weapon familiarisation or joint sessions with foreign SFs.Among them what all equipment you were impressed with which u wpuld have taken instead of the standard issue ones. Ps: i am asking about small arms not quad tubes,commns, backpacks,helmets or boots as there is no comparison between what we have with those foreign ones

ALBY

Section Moderator
Country flag
Sir which caliber did you find better sir, 7.62x51mm NATO or 7.62x54R?
You must have asked @AVINASH4061.
Btw what i have reqd from many forums 7.62x54R have a slightly ballistic performance but it comes with some disadvantages. When used in machine guns due to its design it is fed through non disintegrating belts though it is heard it can be fed through disentegrating belts though not much designs are available jn market. Thats what Gessler said.
Also match grade ammo for Russian round is not easily available as the Nato round.

AVINASH4061

Country flag
They are good but now obsolete, given the equipments available in the world.
If I am to have a sniper rifle, I would prefer a system based on the Lapua Magnum for it's obvious advantages. Also PKMG is reliable but not modular, also because it's open breech weapon, operators can't carry the weapon loaded. It's a problem in case of a fleeting contact and sitting in the ambushes.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
You must have asked @AVINASH4061.
Btw what i have reqd from many forums 7.62x54R have a slightly ballistic performance but it comes with some disadvantages. When used in machine guns due to its design it is fed through non disintegrating belts though it is heard it can be fed through disentegrating belts though not much designs are available jn market. Thats what Gessler said.
Also match grade ammo for Russian round is not easily available as the Nato round.
I edited my post to include his name after like 5 minutes when I realised it😂

Articles