Indian Special Forces

ManhattanProject

Country flag
Not a logical argument

There’s no institutional connection between PARA SF and CRPF QAT, they have entirely separate civilian oversight entities and procurement processes

So don’t believe this
no one believes what he says other than fanboys, some guy on reddit insisted the para sf operates l85 rifles just because there was a photo taken on a bilateral exercise.
when i told him they dont , he said its in secret inventory 😂😂😂

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
no one believes what he says other than fanboys, some guy on reddit insisted the para sf operates l85 rifles just because there was a photo taken on a bilateral exercise.
These Sharma ji ki bache need to stop trying to impress their neighbours.

Killbot

Country flag
Tavor wasn't bad enough for them, huh?

Why the hell would anyone want to be within a mile of that abomination? Lol, these idiots never cease to amaze me.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Tavor's a good gun. Dare I say, Tavor, the remade Desert tech MDR and the Famas are the only worthwhile modern bullpup rifles.
CTAR-21 with suppressor and lasers can be a good special ops weapon.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
@AVINASH4061 sir, in this thread we have come across a couple of occasions where we have seen modern IPTIALs with our forces, are they purchased directly by the soldier with their own funds as they do sometimes for plate carriers or are they small unit level purchases or are they available with all SF units but in very small numbers?
View attachment 81319 Could anyone please identify this aiming laser?
I don't know if he is an SF operative or not, but the gun looks highly customised.

Ind.Operator

Country flag
@AVINASH4061 sir, in this thread we have come across a couple of occasions where we have seen modern IPTIALs with our forces, are they purchased directly by the soldier with their own funds as they do sometimes for plate carriers or are they small unit level purchases or are they available with all SF units but in very small numbers?
I guess it's AK SOPMOD by SSS Defence year back it was in trial
That's too much info in one question. Served in North East part of our country. Around 9 years in the SF.

Gessler

Country flag
Tavor's a good gun. Dare I say, Tavor, the remade Desert tech MDR and the Famas are the only worthwhile modern bullpup rifles.
And what is this mysterious requirement that is compelling us to consider bullpups at all ??

The only real-world advantage a bullpup rifle can deliver over a traditional rifle of same barrel length is that the overall package can be shorter in length. In other words, in theory they are better for CQC situations. In theory.

Now there are multiple SOF units within USSOCOM alone that conduct way more CQC ops than any Indian unit (considering they take part in a multitude of theatres across world), yet they seem perfectly happy with their 10.5" and 14.5" AR-15 derived carbines for such roles. Why is that?

I'll just copy-paste something I've said before in the old SF thread:

" Bullpups (not just Tavors but in general, going back to AUG days) as a CQB-oriented concept were thought up during the times when regular platforms were all battle rifle-length like M16A2.

Since then advances in metallurgy & gas system design, together with new ammo types ensured that even short-barrel carbines could be properly employed in CQB without compromising on muzzle velocity, or being unable to successfully suppress as was the case with early AR-15 pattern CQBRs like XM4/XM177. So today with likes of HK416D, Colt Commando and Daniel Defense Mk.18 available, one need not look to bullpups as an answer for CQB. In fact the more evenly-spread weight & mass distribution makes regular rifles like AR-15s more suitable.

That's why pretty much all SOFs in the world worth their pennies - including those from countries that otherwise issue bullpups to regular infantry (like UK, Israel, Australia, France until recently etc.), routinely use only AR-15 based platforms for their SOF assaulters. "

I rest my case.

They are called ATPIAL, not IPTIAL. In US military usage they are designated AN/PEQ-15.

When purchasing in single-units or small batches (i.e. via retail vendors) the per-unit cost of even a civilian-grade ATPIAL (with low-power eyesafe lasers) can reach upward of $1,300 USD. That's approx 1 lakh Rupees. Military-grade versions will understandably cost even more.

It's not possible for the average infantry or SF soldier to buy such expensive stuff out of his own pocket. It's logical to assume they were purchased with unit funds.

I guess it's AK SOPMOD by SSS Defence year back it was in trial
The SSS 'SOPMOD' kit only includes such peripheral equipment as handguards, buttstocks, grips etc. and their own optics (if any). they are not a distributor of L3Harris equipment in India.

That surely isn’t a SSS Defence SOPMOD
This is the SSS defence SOPMOD.
That one is some other AK mod it.
@Gessler do you know which mod kit is that in that post?
The handguard in the pic appears to be a Russian-made SRVV model (Railsystem-AK100) or some copy of it. This is the first & only time I'm seeing this handguard in Indian use - till now only FAB Defense & TDI Arms upgrade kits were used on Indian AKs.

The SSS 'SOPMOD' kit includes their own proprietary handguard which is much longer & different. However the SSS handguard bears a close resemblance to the Texas Weapon Systems Gen3 'dogleg' rail system...I would venture to call it a copy, though I don't mind as long as it works.

TWS Gen3 rail:

Waanar

Country flag
And what is this mysterious requirement that is compelling us to consider bullpups at all ??

The only real-world advantage a bullpup rifle can deliver over a traditional rifle of same barrel length is that the overall package can be shorter in length. In other words, in theory they are better for CQC situations. In theory.

Now there are multiple SOF units within USSOCOM alone that conduct way more CQC ops than any Indian unit (considering they take part in a multitude of theatres across world), yet they seem perfectly happy with their 10.5" and 14.5" AR-15 derived carbines for such roles. Why is that?

I'll just copy-paste something I've said before in the old SF thread:

" Bullpups (not just Tavors but in general, going back to AUG days) as a CQB-oriented concept were thought up during the times when regular platforms were all battle rifle-length like M16A2.

Since then advances in metallurgy & gas system design, together with new ammo types ensured that even short-barrel carbines could be properly employed in CQB without compromising on muzzle velocity, or being unable to successfully suppress as was the case with early AR-15 pattern CQBRs like XM4/XM177. So today with likes of HK416D and DD Mk.18 available, one need not look to bullpups as an answer for CQB. In fact the more evenly-spread weight & mass distribution makes regular rifles like AR-15s more suitable.

That's why pretty much all SOFs in the world worth their pennies - including those from countries that otherwise issue bullpups to regular infantry (like UK, Israel, Australia, France until recently etc.), routinely use only AR-15 based platforms for their SOF assaulters. "

I rest my case.

They are called ATPIAL, not IPTIAL. In US military usage they are designated AN/PEQ-15.

When purchasing in single-units or small batches (i.e. via retail vendors) the per-unit cost of even a civilian-grade ATPIAL (with low-power eyesafe lasers) can reach upward of $1,300 USD. That's approx 1 lakh Rupees.

It's not possible for the average infantry or SF soldier to buy such expensive stuff out of his own pocket. It's logical to assume they were purchased with unit funds.

The SSS 'SOPMOD' kit only includes such peripheral equipment as handguards, buttstocks, grips etc. they are not a distributor of L3Harris equipment in India.

The handguard in the pic appears to be a Russian-made SRVV model (Railsystem-AK100) or some copy of it. This is the first & only time I'm seeing this handguard in Indian use - till now only FAB Defense & TDI Arms upgrade kits were used on Indian AKs.

The SSS 'SOPMOD' kit includes their own proprietary handguard which is much longer & different. However the SSS handguard bears a close resemblance to the Texas Weapon Systems Gen3 'dogleg' rail system...I would venture to call it a copy, though I don't mind as long as it works.

TWS Gen3 rail:

Bruh, I'm just saying Tavor's a good gun and shouldn't be compared to that britshit L85.😅

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles