Indian Special Forces

Aditya Roy

Country flag
SSG has quite some experience of going against Taliban who were present in heavy numbers and dug up in mountains.The battles were bloody for SSG.

I am sure they would have learned something.

Our opponents haven't been so mighty with all due respect.
Well, SSGs are the 'Taliban'. The Pak Army troops are Jehadis in uniform. Taliban won't move a single inch without an order from the high command i.e. Pindi
The ones they went against were the 'Pakistani' Taliban AKA 'Bad' Taliban and Baloch insurgents.
They had a terrible time clearing the tribal Pashtun villages during the fight against 'Pak Taliban', ended up bombing villages after villages. Millions of Pashtuns got displaced, no wonder Karachi is the largest Pashtun city, including a significant Baloch population.
Here an old video of the Taliban SFs, all trained by SSGs

tommy

Bro the problem is now a big one in the sense that even if we buy a First world gear and system the operator will still be a Third world with a Third world education and exposure.

Hence when people show hope in AFSOD i find it illogical.

Education and exposure wise our troops are already a good 25 years behind.(i would add pilots in that list to)

Good point. Forget about all the drills in SF what about basic infantry training (not the officers). Do they even get proper training in Land navigation. Even if provided how many can do it properly considering their low aptitude (no offence). I guess that is the compromise we have to make for poor education in our country.
And why pilots?

Scramjet

Country flag
Well, SSGs are the 'Taliban'. The Pak Army troops are Jehadis in uniform. Taliban won't move a single inch without an order from the high command i.e. Pindi
The ones they went against were the 'Pakistani' Taliban AKA 'Bad' Taliban and Baloch insurgents.
They had a terrible time clearing the tribal Pashtun villages during the fight against 'Pak Taliban', ended up bombing villages after villages. Millions of Pashtuns got displaced, no wonder Karachi is the largest Pashtun city, including a significant Baloch population.
Exactly sir, a close relative was telling about the same. SSG officers were the ones who facilitated crossing in 90s and recently BAT teams.

Maitreya Shyam

Country flag
SSG has quite some experience of going against Taliban who were present in heavy numbers and dug up in mountains.The battles were bloody for SSG.

I am sure they would have learned something.

Our opponents haven't been so mighty with all due respect.
Yes you r right but ye bhi to dekhiye ki pakistan literally har eek chiz ke liye ssg deploy karta hai

Maitreya Shyam

Country flag
But stil afghan sf is best unki night raids tak successful hui thi

AVINASH4061

Country flag
The only reason Ghatak or Para can take them on is because of barbed wire and very good surveillance at loc.

Take them out and man vs man no one knows what will happen.
That's a little too much of criticism, bhawnao main beh gaye aap. The level of education in of the new recruits in US and UK is equally dismal!! And our officers are actually at par when they pass out from the academies. We ain't that bad in mindset, tactics and execution at tactical levels.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
That's a little too much of criticism, bhawnao main beh gaye aap. The level of education in of the new recruits in US and UK is equally dismal!! And our officers are actually at par when they pass out from the academies. We ain't that bad in mindset, tactics and execution at tactical levels.
Chalo iske agay ki charcha daru pe karenge kisi din.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
SSGs have an inordinately high number of casualties regardless of where they are deployed. If you do some digging you can find atleast 4-5 per month.
Also keep in mind the amount of operations those guys do and the chances of being ambushed in a environment like Waziristan or Balochistan is very high. We also lost 5 of our SF guys during operation randori behak, they were ambushed and got KIA. I don’t think a regular baloch insurgent will be a match of a trained SSG commando unit in a one to one fight, lets be honest.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
My father told me once they had Afghani speaking guys in RR which he was posted any chance we had contact with Taliban Surendra Pooniya sir also mentioned same thing.
There are a few Pashtuns living in Srinagar, ofcourse the descendants of the ones who attacked us in 1947 as tribal lashkars.

Mikel

Country flag
Also keep in mind the amount of operations those guys do and the chances of being ambushed in a environment like Waziristan or Balochistan is very high. We also lost 5 of our SF guys during operation randori behak, they were ambushed and got KIA. I don’t think a regular baloch insurgent will be a match of a trained SSG commando unit in a one to one fight, lets be honest.
They weren't ambushed in that op. It was an accident and sheer misfortune that two of our guys fell right on top of the terrorists. Wasn't any tactical genius on their part. As Major Jacob said 9 Para are constantly on operations. You don't see them losing guys every single month.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
They weren't ambushed in that op. It was an accident and sheer misfortune that two of our guys fell right on top of the terrorists. Wasn't any tactical genius on their part. As Major Jacob said 9 Para are constantly on operations. You don't see them losing guys every single month.
9 Para are ghost operators, but you can’t compare SSG with Para SF.

compare the environment in which they mostly operate…

SSG
1624906510913.jpeg

Para SF
1624906629197.jpeg

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag
For all the capabilities talk, I like how Para SF do things. Put your heads down, do your work and stay out of news. The hype around Para is created by external fans. They themselves do not do it.

SSG is a propaganda machine. They'll march in open contingents with their faces uncovered, put on gear that is "tacticool" but not that particularly that great. Make horribly cringe videos for publicity.It's used as a tool to build pride in their army and to intimidate.
They are good, especially with the FIDE stuff butI I'llplace my bets on our men to be very honest.

Edit: And yes, they are pointlessly thrust into infantry roles much like Para SF. Infact I would argue much more so. Because they are used as an intimidation tactic among rebels/opponents. Celebs bana rakha hai unhe.
Do they have any comtacs along with their helmets which people here say are a must for today's modern soldier.

Global Defence

Articles