Indian Special Forces

armyofhind

Country flag
I took the time out to watch a documentary end-to-end after a really long time.
From whatever I could observe, certain comments -

1. Indian defence documentaries always had crappy, super cringe narrations.. it has not changed.

2. Shooting - The drills with the Tavor, especially shoulder switch drills, seemed smooth enough.

There were VTAC style 9 hole barricades and the troopers were practicing shooting from it - good sign that atleast some attempts are being made to upgrade skill atleast, if not the equipment. Still cant wrap my head around how does one manipulate a bullpup vis-a-vis an AR on this, but who am I to judge.
Being SFTS, its good to see that atleast this training is being imparted to new troopers

3. Pistol stance, crappy as usual. There seems to be no standardisation. Have seen some units use the regular isosceles stance before, I dont know what this is even.. which they have shown in the documentary.

4. CQC practice with PTK - Sticks knives, empty hands... good sign again. From my own experience learning the same, the drills seemed good. Does not get much better than PTK in unarmed/knife combat for practical uses.

5. Breaching - New breaching techniques seem to be in practice - tailor made charges for locks, hinges, blowing open the entire door etc.
Of particular note is the use of flex line charges. Probably as good as it gets when it comes to explosive breaching.

6. Diving - Rebreathers in widespread use, good to see. Still dont know why the Indian SF always go for an absolutely vanilla AK or Vz58 for underwater/over the beach Ops. Also training in underwater propelled movement using scooters etc is of note.

7. Combat Free Fall - Good to see a wind tunnel being used for simulated training... Cannot really shed a tear on the fact that such eqpt has been used for decades in the west now.
Anyway, der aaye durust aaye.. combined with the new Intruder parachutes, should be a solid upgrade to CFF capabilities.

8. Sniping - Only practice on the Galatz has been shown, but the instructor mentioned being able to comfortably engage from 1500mtrs. That means training on atleast the .338 Lapua Magnum is happening. (Although it wasn't shown in the documentary) I doubt even enhanced 7.62 match-grade rounds can reach that far effectively.

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag
I took the time out to watch a documentary end-to-end after a really long time.
From whatever I could observe, certain comments -

1. Indian defence documentaries always had crappy, super cringe narrations.. it has not changed.

2. Shooting - The drills with the Tavor, especially shoulder switch drills, seemed smooth enough.

There were VTAC style 9 hole barricades and the troopers were practicing shooting from it - good sign that atleast some attempts are being made to upgrade skill atleast, if not the equipment. Still cant wrap my head around how does one manipulate a bullpup vis-a-vis an AR on this, but who am I to judge.
Being SFTS, its good to see that atleast this training is being imparted to new troopers

3. Pistol stance, crappy as usual. There seems to be no standardisation. Have seen some units use the regular isosceles stance before, I dont know what this is even.. which they have shown in the documentary.

4. CQC practice with PTK - Sticks knives, empty hands... good sign again. From my own experience learning the same, the drills seemed good. Does not get much better than PTK in unarmed/knife combat for practical uses.

5. Breaching - New breaching techniques seem to be in practice - tailor made charges for locks, hinges, blowing open the entire door etc.
Of particular note is the use of flex line charges. Probably as good as it gets when it comes to explosive breaching.

6. Diving - Rebreathers in widespread use, good to see. Still dont know why the Indian SF always go for an absolutely vanilla AK or Vz58 for underwater/over the beach Ops. Also training in underwater propelled movement using scooters etc is of note.

7. Combat Free Fall - Good to see a wind tunnel being used for simulated training... Cannot really shed a tear on the fact that such eqpt has been used for decades in the west now.
Anyway, der aaye durust aaye.. combined with the new Intruder parachutes, should be a solid upgrade to CFF capabilities.

8. Sniping - Only practice on the Galatz has been shown, but the instructor mentioned being able to comfortably engage from 1500mtrs. That means training on atleast the .338 Lapua Magnum is happening. (Although it wasn't shown in the documentary) I doubt even enhanced 7.62 match-grade rounds can reach that far effectively.
Watching the whole thing I was thinking that the right foundations are there and their capabilities from a high level are appropriate but as with many things in the Indian security domain the execution is just abysmal and the details are not bothered with.

like when a state raises a SWAT team or whatever- sure nominally they now have that capability but look at what they actually have and it’s some stick thin policemen issued a 1980s spec MP5 running around screaming ‘COMMANDO’ with a bandana wrapped around their head.

so with the SFTS doc it seemed like the ingredients are there but if I had to go through each frame and a analyse it it’s not the most competent display

Just as an aside, why do Indian units almost never show reloads? Is it a practice to only ever be issued 1 mag or something?

ManhattanProject

Country flag

AnantS

Country flag
From a decent source- they are high on the IA’s shopping list, RFI in the next 18 months (imho)
One cant operate his Gun while manually operating Jet pack. Dunno what surpirse they are planning to give with this. The amount of jet noise they make and hardly any load carrying capability.. dunno what use do they see. Even if you plan to take night operations, you need to equip your personal with damn good nvg.

Dunno why aping brits is still high on ia's agenda

abingdonboy

Country flag
One cant operate his Gun while manually operating Jet pack. Dunno what surpirse they are planning to give with this. The amount of jet noise they make and hardly any load carrying capability.. dunno what use do they see. Even if you plan to take night operations, you need to equip your personal with damn good nvg.

Dunno why aping brits is still high on ia's agenda
RFI will be written to favour a specific vendor (only really one viable product out there) as usual but no questions will be asked…..

i mean to say, little does tactical utility factor into these things, this is the same army that imports boots and clothing from abroad

AnantS

Country flag
RFI will be written to favour a specific vendor (only really one viable product out there) as usual but no questions will be asked…..

i mean to say, little does tactical utility factor into these things, this is the same army that imports boots and clothing from abroad
Nice way to utilize already wafer thin 9% reserved for IA modernization out of total IA budget. Hope wining and dining in london was good

Articles