Indian Special Forces

Kumaoni

They tried their best to keep up w/ modern day SOF standards by improvising the stuff they already had or got using Bn level funding and persuaded their respective cmds for better things aswell. Now that Army HQ is getting real stuff for them we'll see better results.
Fair enough. the gear they are getting is now long overdue.

I would like to see their own regiment and command too. SF needs to be independent from the army.

abingdonboy

Country flag
One more prediction coming close to true, OpsCore FAST XP is going standard for SF bns.

These pics are from SFTS, anything you see in SFTS is the gear that is used by SF bns during unilateral ops/priority-1 operations.
I've recently learnt that as a rule of thumb units keep seperate kits for priority-2(support to a larger force) CI-CT operations to look like the other troops involved there.

View attachment 223546

View attachment 223547

View attachment 223548

View attachment 223549
Oh wow, some high cuts, those only became a thing about 17 years ago and the entire point was to accommodate COMTACs which no Para has ever been issued- and look at that walkies attached to their front chest like police

everything else is dogsh!t and hasn’t been updated by paras for about 17-18 years also. There are kids that were born when Paras generally moved to this crappy FLC+elbow/knee pads+ gen1 TAR21 spec that would be old enough to be joining the same units today. Listen to any operator from a Western military, every single deployment they went on they changed their gear- literally they’d re-order new PCs and gear from new suppliers or work with existing suppliers. How can anyone tolerate almost an entire generation of stagnation?

just to hammer it home:
This is far superior to any spec’d out rifle ever used by an Indian SF and it has been considered obsolete by top tier Western standards for close to a decade.

if you’re going to say SFTS is representative of what’s issued for ‘priority 1’ then I’d say that’s the entire problem.A. Handful of high cuts don’t make a single bit of difference.

i won’t even get into the stupidity of the concept of downgrading your equipment for CI-CT/priority 2 (who needs better gear or to bring an advantage?What’s even the point of SF if it isn’t just to be another shooter right?)

i hate to have to dissect every single image/video now because it’s just so repetitive but if people are going to keep spinning things and presenting these narratives then it has to be done.

this is purely a discussion on equipment, naturally tactics are going to be garbage to match.

abingdonboy

Country flag
All we need is for the right man to become COAS

Lt gen JBS Yadava, Vir Chakra, was a rather aggressive and initiative taking general. I wish he became COAS once. He had a vast experience of combat, from the 1965 till the most violent years in J and K.

The officers raised in war time in the 90s compared to the ones raised in COIN today are miles apart in their thinking.
Yes leadership matters and a few individual leaders can make a big difference

McChrystal is said to have made a huge difference as JSOC commander and he was the one that managed the adoption of new capabilities for the US’s tier 1 units that filtered down to their SOF as a whole and then military more widely. Under him a lot of the additional capacity was created in particular the special reconnaissance capabilities of JSOC/SMUs

the issue is india doesn’t have the structures that would allow an individual to make a difference- COAS is too broad a job and SF capabilities aren’t even in the top 50 priorities they’ll have not to mention they won’t have the expertise nor ability to really enact much change- the IA doesn’t even have its own SF command and centralised leadership, each battalion is a law unto themselves.

(AFSOD is not JSOC or SOCOM and the IA has basically killed it off, so it has 0 ability to affect modernisation or the SF community as a whole)

airborneCommando

Country flag
Oh wow, some high cuts, those only became a thing about 17 years ago and the entire point was to accommodate COMTACs which no Para has ever been issued- and look at that walkies attached to their front chest like police

everything else is dogsh!t and hasn’t been updated by paras for about 17-18 years also. There are kids that were born when Paras generally moved to this crappy FLC+elbow/knee pads+ gen1 TAR21 spec that would be old enough to be joining the same units today. Listen to any operator from a Western military, every single deployment they went on they changed their gear- literally they’d re-order new PCs and gear from new suppliers or work with existing suppliers. How can anyone tolerate almost an entire generation of stagnation?

if you’re going to say SFTS is representative of what’s issued for ‘priority 1’ then I’d say that’s the entire problem.A. Handful of high cuts don’t make a single bit of difference.

i won’t even get into the stupidity of the concept of downgrading your equipment for CI-CT/priority 2 (who needs better gear or to bring an advantage?What’s even the point of SF if it isn’t just to be another shooter right?)
1.Good-Decent PCs will follow up although it'll will take a while.

2. I've touched upon the fact that most of the battalions have done away with this tactic earlier in a post here.

3.It's not just highcut helmets sahota sir there's a lot of stuff that'll follow up soon and I'm sure we'll get to see them !

SUPERPOWER

Country flag

Is he telling truth?

Jedi Operator

Country flag

Is he telling truth?
Ok, so in the beginning when he said, that every special force belives that we are the best, he is not saying that every SF unit says Indian SF is the best, he's legit just talking about the tribe mentality. That every unit will put themselves on the top. Now we all know where our guys stand so just leave it here. This Airforce guy is part delulu like everyone else in our millitary

abingdonboy

Country flag
1.Good-Decent PCs will follow up although it'll will take a while.

2. I've touched upon the fact that most of the battalions have done away with this tactic earlier in a post here.

3.It's not just highcut helmets sahota sir there's a lot of stuff that'll follow up soon and I'm sure we'll get to see them !
If only it was as easy as giving a new PC and helmet to a guy to make him a decent operator

Kumaoni

Yes leadership matters and a few individual leaders can make a big difference

McChrystal is said to have made a huge difference as JSOC commander and he was the one that managed the adoption of new capabilities for the US’s tier 1 units that filtered down to their SOF as a whole and then military more widely. Under him a lot of the additional capacity was created in particular the special reconnaissance capabilities of JSOC/SMUs

the issue is india doesn’t have the structures that would allow an individual to make a difference- COAS is too broad a job and SF capabilities aren’t even in the top 50 priorities they’ll have not to mention they won’t have the expertise nor ability to really enact much change- the IA doesn’t even have its own SF command and centralised leadership, each battalion is a law unto themselves.

(AFSOD is not JSOC or SOCOM and the IA has basically killed it off, so it has 0 ability to affect modernisation or the SF community as a whole)
If the aforementioned general became COAS, we would have a completely different army in 2023 anyway.

Articles