Indian Special Forces

Kumaoni

Just proof that india has not had SF capability perhaps ever, the ‘commando’ mindset never went anywhere nor does the conventional leadership understand strategic nonconventional fighting

the airborne/para regiment of India has always seemed like a botched together outfit with no clear mandate- SF outnumbering airborne soldiers yet having the same general leadership, just a whole host of nonsense. Of course compounded by the brilliant decision to make all airborne SF

airborne infantry are very much needed as are SF, but the ‘jack of all’ trades model the IA have adopted means india has neither really

as painful as it will be I’m just counting down the days for some sense to be slapped across the face of these esteemed ‘subject matter experts’. India has been fortune enough to be dealing with some slighter bigger duffers with the same desi mindset as them for all these years, with both sides treating hostilities as not much more than a cricket match, the Chinese play to win.
The airborne/para regiment was actually a brigade with very good capabilities. 50th para brigade was formed by the Brits. In 1947 it had only 4 battalions to its name, and these battalions played a disproportionate role in various battles. 3 Para is single handedly responsible for breaking the Tribal invasion of 1947 Taliban and defending Poonch. In this same war, 1 para and 3 para successfully reconquered Mendhar and linked up Poonch and rajouri. 1 para took Haji Pir in 65 and the other para battalions secured areas up to icchogil in well fought actions. 1971 was the golden era in which we were pretty sorted out (Tangali Airdrops, SFF and RAW with the MB, and Para commandos destroying enemy targets). This was when they were airborne infantry and SF.

Only in 2003 is when SF units began to outnumber airborne infantry. A good reason of this had to do with 9 paras deployment on ZULU.

Jedi Operator

Country flag
3 para and 1 para are two very underrated units
1 Para isn't underrated, nor is it overrated like 9, 4 or 10. It's just the way it should be. As far as my knowledge goes 1 has never compromised on the standards. Maj Abhay Sapru said before in an interview that the quality of officers has been decreasing, most just come in for the glory of the beret and that's it. They want to leave. He said 1 has a sanction of 40 officers but only 13 are presently available. 1,2,4,9,10,11 & 21 are good units. Remember good is a comparative term. Atleast these units posses or seem to posses some qualities that with right leadership could make it into SF capability. But the kind of jokers we have...it seems impossible. Had it been me, I would've reverted 1,9 & 10 as SF and 2,4,11 & 21 could be like Rangers or SFSG.

airborneCommando

Country flag
He said 1 has a sanction of 40 officers but only 13 are presently available.
This stat was weak throughout the SF battalions since long...so weak that airborne and para TA officers used to be attached to SF Bns in various capacities after which some used to start donning balidan badge aswell.
3,4 and 9 para are extremely short on officers at the present moment.

khushank

Country flag
This stat was weak throughout the SF battalions since long...so weak that airborne and para TA officers used to be attached to SF Bns in various capacities after which some used to start donning balidan badge aswell.
3,4 and 9 para are extremely short on officers at the present moment.
"3,4 and 9 para are extremely short on officers at the present moment"
Source: trust me vro, Col. Mohanty told me personally

Kumaoni

1 Para isn't underrated, nor is it overrated like 9, 4 or 10. It's just the way it should be. As far as my knowledge goes 1 has never compromised on the standards. Maj Abhay Sapru said before in an interview that the quality of officers has been decreasing, most just come in for the glory of the beret and that's it. They want to leave. He said 1 has a sanction of 40 officers but only 13 are presently available. 1,2,4,9,10,11 & 21 are good units. Remember good is a comparative term. Atleast these units posses or seem to posses some qualities that with right leadership could make it into SF capability. But the kind of jokers we have...it seems impossible. Had it been me, I would've reverted 1,9 & 10 as SF and 2,4,11 & 21 could be like Rangers or SFSG.
3 para staked a good claim to be SF in 2004. It had just finished a tenure Siachen in which it actively dominated Pakistani bunkers and destroyed several of their bunkers. 23 Pakistanis were claim killed. In its tenure before that from 1995 to 1998, it single handedly brought down the NSCN faction led by muviah. In 2004 when it was actually raised as SF it did wonders in Kashmir. Two COAS citations in back to back tenures. Over a 10:1 kill ratio, and various high ranking commanders eliminated or apprehended between 2005-2007. These operations are the reason the Kashmir insurgency had a low stunt from 09-11. They were literally following and hunting the highest ranking commanders down, as per its history. In 2007 it go it’s third COAS citation, for apprehension of 15 high ranking terrorists and elimination of 58. In 2009 it also launched a major search Op in Lebanon and recovered a large stash of hezbollah arms.

Kumaoni

2 para also has its fair share. Relatively new units like 11 and 12 also have proven themselves at par with 21 para in their AOR.
2 para isn’t the best among paras I would say. The ones with the highest KD ratios are 3, 10, and 9. I’d say 4 should also be SF.

The main issue is none of these units have modernized since being converted to SF.

DIE UwU

Country flag
"3,4 and 9 para are extremely short on officers at the present moment"
Source: trust me vro, Col. Mohanty told me personally
I heard in an interview of former sf officer or maybe operator that there was time when same party used to carry out several operations in row due to their being lack of officers and operators and later the situation got better but full desired strength was never acheived ,I dont remember who was that person, maybe Major Jacob or Major Sushant ,I cant remember but I am certain that some ex operator talked about lack of man power in sf,

Now it looks like you have got too much sarcasm in you for a new member on this thread ,why dont you tone it down a little , be respectful to others ,If he was wrong then prove it or just ask for source.

mcpo117

Country flag
Sweet ass copium right here. Looks like, MARCOS has purchased quite a pieces of those COMTACs. Might be a newer set of order for Tan coloured ones. Also notice the JPC and all the comms equipment. MARCOS really doesn't disappoint.
didn't know comtacs are for neck protection.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Sweet ass copium right here. Looks like, MARCOS has purchased quite a pieces of those COMTACs. Might be a newer set of order for Tan coloured ones. Also notice the JPC and all the comms equipment. MARCOS really doesn't disappoint.
Only need a good camo change now