Indian Special Forces

kaboom

Country flag
1687327680007.png

This is the type of rifle setup i would like for Indian SF common lower with two uppers one 14.5 inch upper with Elcan 4x and one 16/18 inch upper with lpvo

JConline

Country flag
View attachment 211445

This is the type of rifle setup i would like for Indian SF common lower with two uppers one 14.5 inch upper with Elcan 4x and one 16/18 inch upper with lpvo
Let's be honest. Even if, somehow sense was knocked into the brains of gernails and SF officers, the above setup won't happen. What we can hope for is at least a well-performing AR-style rifle with proper optics and proper night vision goggles and basic PPE. And trust me, even one of the three things I mentioned will be a monumental change at this point.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Country flag
Vineet Koka is from Para airborne.Hearing from his interview gives a vibe that their probation too is of 6 months an tough just like SF ie 120 kms speed march,10 days straight sleepless nights and so on.Definitely more tougher than 82nd airborne or VDV.So how does they exactly fit into the orabat or they differ from SF in terms of capability?Is there any merit in the demand of airborne officers for getting parity with SF?

Last edited:

airborneCommando

Country flag
Vineet Koka is from Para airborne.Still hearing from his interview gives a vibe that their probation too is of 6 months and too tough just like SF ie 120 kms speed march,10 days straight sleepless nights and so on.Definitely more tougher than 82nd airborne or VDV.So how does they exactly fit into the orabat or they differ from SF in terms of capability.Is their any merit in the demand of airborne officers for getting parity with SF
War Establishment of an airborne battalion was based on infantry battalions, special forces battalions had a different TO&E that had evolved from their commando days into special forces one.
Prolonged usage of troops from the regiment in CI led to false sense of equivalence with SF since they conducted similiar operations, you can see this throughout the infantry circles.

I cannot clarify vineet sir's position on probation period since no battalion ever had 120km speed march as standard as far as i know.

JConline

Country flag
Vineet Koka is from Para airborne.Still hearing from his interview gives a vibe that their probation too is of 6 months and too tough just like SF ie 120 kms speed march,10 days straight sleepless nights and so on.Definitely more tougher than 82nd airborne or VDV.So how does they exactly fit into the orabat or they differ from SF in terms of capability.Is their any merit in the demand of airborne officers for getting parity with SF
The thing is, Para Airborne isn't trained the same as SF but the other way around. In the Indian Army, the same kind of training with the same intensity is provided to Airborne and SF. SF needs to be trained differently and in a wider spectrum of capabilities. So the demand of airborne officers to be treated equally to SF isn't exactly wrong because Para SF is nothing better than Airborne infantry with Balidaan batches on their chest at this point. They are the same in equipment, training, and mission profiles (mostly CI/CT). No point in segregating the two. Might as well make everyone SF at this point.
What really needs to be done is, all the Para SF battalions need to be downgraded to Airborne (opposite of what is being done) and a whole different SF needs to be built that has its mandate, training, and equipment at a better-defined, higher level than that of Airborne.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Country flag
War Establishment of an airborne battalion was based on infantry battalions, special forces battalions had a different TO&E that had evolved from their commando days into special forces one.
Prolonged usage of troops from the regiment in CI led to false sense of equivalence with SF since they conducted similiar operations, you can see this throughout the infantry circles.

I cannot clarify vineet sir's position on probation period since no battalion ever had 120km speed march as standard as far as i know.
I don't know about 120km speed march though Kamal Sidhu sir or 6th Para told me once that they had to do 60km speed march

airborneCommando

Country flag
View attachment 211482
Million dollars worth of comms&electronics right here
I hope im not breaching some security SOP

Left to Right
  1. RF-7800H-MP with TRI KDU
  2. Racal acoustics RA3185 Modular Cobra Headset with earpad
  3. RA3710/0431 PTT
  4. L3Harris RF-7850S SPR secure personal radio
  5. L3Harris RF-7800M/7850M-HH handheld radio
  6. portable Battery
  7. Panasonic Toughbook cf-33
  8. (??)
  9. power backup
  10. (??)
  11. some sort of tripod (most likely for a laser designator, para SF uses Elbit PLDR-III Serpent and CORAL)

kaboom

Country flag
I hope im not breaching some security SOP

Left to Right
  1. RF-7800H-MP with TRI KDU
  2. Racal acoustics RA3185 Modular Cobra Headset with earpad
  3. RA3710/0431 PTT
  4. L3Harris RF-7850S SPR secure personal radio
  5. L3Harris RF-7800M/7850M-HH handheld radio
  6. portable Battery
  7. Panasonic Toughbook cf-33
  8. (??)
  9. power backup
  10. (??)
  11. some sort of tripod (most likely for a laser designator, para SF uses Elbit PLDR-III Serpent and CORAL)
Any radio in our arsenal with satcom capabilities like Falcon III AN/PRC-117G

1687410563496.png

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
Again we come back to the same point - need a separate SF division/regiment whatever.
Only way this comparision and in-fighting with para will stop.
But IA does not get the concept of having an SF, nor does GoI have an idea of maintaining a strategic mandate for SF, so it will not happen till both these click into place.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Just proof that india has not had SF capability perhaps ever, the ‘commando’ mindset never went anywhere nor does the conventional leadership understand strategic nonconventional fighting

the airborne/para regiment of India has always seemed like a botched together outfit with no clear mandate- SF outnumbering airborne soldiers yet having the same general leadership, just a whole host of nonsense. Of course compounded by the brilliant decision to make all airborne SF

airborne infantry are very much needed as are SF, but the ‘jack of all’ trades model the IA have adopted means india has neither really

as painful as it will be I’m just counting down the days for some sense to be slapped across the face of these esteemed ‘subject matter experts’. India has been fortune enough to be dealing with some slighter bigger duffers with the same desi mindset as them for all these years, with both sides treating hostilities as not much more than a cricket match, the Chinese play to win.