Indian Special Forces

Tactical Doge

π•±π–”π–”π–‘π–˜ π–—π–šπ–˜π– 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–†π–“π–Œπ–Šπ–‘π–˜ π–‹π–Šπ–†π–—
Country flag

abingdonboy

Country flag

Case for a permanent cadre for NSG.
I’m not even sure why SRG needs to be so big anymore. Their primary job was VVIP protection but Modi govt has trimmed their protectee list to low double digits (it should be given up by them entirely- that was what the govt had said 7 years ago was the plan).

I know SCGs in the hubs are hybrid between SRG/SAG but I can’t understand why NSG needs 7000 personnel. CTTF in Delhi is 200-300, each hub is 1-200 assaulters. So at most they have 1000 assaulters/shooters. Then maybe 3-400 undergoing training because they are on 3 year deputations. A few 100 more for their support wings (EOD, K9, support weapons)

even still I can’t see how they get to 7,000, this is an absurd number for an elite unit.

yes the case for permanent cadre should be pushed but I doubt many in leadership positions have the sense to do so. If they start forcing people who haven’t volunteered to serve in NSG it’s a quick road to mediocrity.

it’ll probably need another huge attack where NSG is used and their shortcomings highlighted before the next round of reforms takes place for them

Tactical Doge

π•±π–”π–”π–‘π–˜ π–—π–šπ–˜π– 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–†π–“π–Œπ–Šπ–‘π–˜ π–‹π–Šπ–†π–—
Country flag

ALBY

Section Moderator
Country flag
I’m not even sure why SRG needs to be so big anymore. Their primary job was VVIP protection but Modi govt has trimmed their protectee list to low double digits (it should be given up by them entirely- that was what the govt had said 7 years ago was the plan).

I know SCGs in the hubs are hybrid between SRG/SAG but I can’t understand why NSG needs 7000 personnel. CTTF in Delhi is 200-300, each hub is 1-200 assaulters. So at most they have 1000 assaulters/shooters. Then maybe 3-400 undergoing training because they are on 3 year deputations. A few 100 more for their support wings (EOD, K9, support weapons)

even still I can’t see how they get to 7,000, this is an absurd number for an elite unit.

yes the case for permanent cadre should be pushed but I doubt many in leadership positions have the sense to do so. If they start forcing people who haven’t volunteered to serve in NSG it’s a quick road to mediocrity.

it’ll probably need another huge attack where NSG is used and their shortcomings highlighted before the next round of reforms takes place for them
The whole SAG,SRG SCG thing should be abolished abd the NSG should be made a force of permanent cadre drawing men solely from CAPFs or state police rather than army.There is no point in sending army guys for the duties of NsG as it’s primarily hostage rescue and CQB ops inside India.We are just wasting resources kf army plus the skills acquired from NsG most tjmea are not much of practical use for army’s kinda ops and once these officers and men are back those skills are not transferred to rest of the unit.The unit should be remodeed in the lines of FBI HRT and GIGN/GSG-9 with a trimmed force with much better equiand less men.There is no need for army men to serve under CAPF. What army should invest is making a Delta force like slim unit with ample funding.But these are all going to fall on deaf ears

abingdonboy

Country flag
T
The whole SAG,SRG SCG thing should be abolished abd the NSG should be made a force of permanent cadre drawing men solely from CAPFs or state police rather than army.There is no point in sending army guys for the duties of NsG as it’s primarily hostage rescue and CQB ops inside India.We are just wasting resources kf army plus the skills acquired from NsG most tjmea are not much of practical use for army’s kinda ops and once these officers and men are back those skills are not transferred to rest of the unit.The unit should be remodeed in the lines of FBI HRT and GIGN/GSG-9 with a trimmed force with much better equiand less men.There is no need for army men to serve under CAPF. What army should invest is making a Delta force like slim unit with ample funding.But these are all going to fall on deaf ears
Funnily enough they claimed that NSG is modelled on GSG9 but I can’t see the similarities other than role.

my 2 cents knowing that the current system js likely to outlive all of us- create a permanent force, I’ve outlined the benefits of this previously. It would be great to have a backbone of instructors/senior NCOs in the force who serve in NSG for a career of 15-20 years. And I don’t see why they can’t have an open recruitment for anyone capable of meeting the requirements-military , CAPFs or civilians. Who is to say there aren’t IAF guys or some amateur athletes out there who haven’t got the aptitude to be spectacular NSG guys? Deputation means you have to get a semi-trained professional hence why they go to CAPFs/IA because they’ve already been pre-selected to a degree but if you have a permanent cadre then it’s not an issue if it takes 6 months to select and train because successful candidates will be with you as a career, not RTB in 2 years.

for years we’ve heard that the IA and CAPFs simply don’t want to give up their personnel for these deputations. It made sense as an interim solution for the first few years of NSG but to still be doing so to this day is dumb and puts a big question mark on NSG’s actual capabilities for me. They’ll never be a world class CT force under the current arrangement, it just isn’t possible to match the career CT operators out there with someone who, at most, gets 18 months operational time in the NSG

ALBY

Section Moderator
Country flag
T

Funnily enough they claimed that NSG is modelled on GSG9 but I can’t see the similarities other than role.

my 2 cents knowing that the current system js likely to outlive all of us- create a permanent force, I’ve outlined the benefits of this previously. It would be great to have a backbone of instructors/senior NCOs in the force who serve in NSG for a career of 15-20 years. And I don’t see why they can’t have an open recruitment for anyone capable of meeting the requirements-military , CAPFs or civilians. Who is to say there aren’t IAF guys or some amateur athletes out there who haven’t got the aptitude to be spectacular NSG guys? Deputation means you have to get a semi-trained professional hence why they go to CAPFs/IA because they’ve already been pre-selected to a degree but if you have a permanent cadre then it’s not an issue if it takes 6 months to select and train because successful candidates will be with you as a career, not RTB in 2 years.

for years we’ve heard that the IA and CAPFs simply don’t want to give up their personnel for these deputations. It made sense as an interim solution for the first few years of NSG but to still be doing so to this day is dumb and puts a big question mark on NSG’s actual capabilities for me. They’ll never be a world class CT force under the current arrangement, it just isn’t possible to match the career CT operators out there with someone who, at most, gets 18 months operational time in the NSG
Its 6 years right or just three years?? Btw early NSG guys used to be para qualified as one of my friends dad from non infantry background who was in SAG has got para wings and he said NSG used to make them jump out of aircrafts to para qualify them.He served in mid 90s .Don’t know about present days.
Coming to your opinion on open recruitment of men from all branches to NSG,similar thing should be implemented for Special Group too..It should be open for Navy and IAF guys too like said a million times before it should all have permanent cadre.
Also there should be an R&D team/feedback with in SF ambit to review and give user specified requirements to equipment manufacturers as it is done in US Navy seals and Green berets

rkhanna

Country flag
Its 6 years right or just three years?? Btw early NSG guys used to be para qualified as one of my friends dad from non infantry background who was in SAG has got para wings and he said NSG used to make them jump out of aircrafts to para qualify them.He served in mid 90s .Don’t know about present days.
Coming to your opinion on open recruitment of men from all branches to NSG,similar thing should be implemented for Special Group too..It should be open for Navy and IAF guys too like said a million times before it should all have permanent cadre.
Also there should be an R&D team/feedback with in SF ambit to review and give user specified requirements to equipment manufacturers as it is done in US Navy seals and Green berets
IMO recruitment for SG should have a completely different paradigm. They should have a permanent cadre that are ex military or recruited permanently from various orgs across the services (including police) - whole bunch of ex SF guys also you can tap into who quit in their late 30s/40s.

More muscle than that should drawn from SOF units seconded for special activities for particular ops which are paramilitary in nature and require extended deployment times to augment the core cadre.

rkhanna

Country flag
View attachment 170812
US seals wearing converse shoes. Converse shoes were part of standard issue from 1940s to marines and later seals when they find out converse were useful in running through muddy beaches and dissipates water easily compared with regular boots.
I remember reading in one of the autobios. The canvas are also good on ships with oil slick etc. So whenever seals have to do multiple evolutions in training where shoes can get wet they alternate between their combat boots and canvas as and when they can so they get dry shoes rhe next day

ManhattanProject

Country flag