Indian Special Forces

abingdonboy

Country flag
747 VIP was flown by airforce pilots from the Mumbai air India base. there was a special bus with security that ferried the pilots. I'm sure it's the same now with 777.
Not quite. Whilst the 747-400s were an Air India plane at all times occasionally put on special duty for VVIP roles and thus down by line pilots of AI, the 2 B777-200ERs were bought from AI by the GoI and are now owned, operated and maintained at the IAF’s communications squadron at Palam.

They are currently operated by hybrid crews of IAF and civilians as I believe the civilian pilots are still conducting the PIC role until IAF pilots gets enough time on type (this could be a few years) but the eventual plane will be to have the entire ecosystem be IAF just like work the BBJs

AVAST

Country flag
Not quite. Whilst the 747-400s were an Air India plane at all times occasionally put on special duty for VVIP roles and thus down by line pilots of AI, the 2 B777-200ERs were bought from AI by the GoI and are now owned, operated and maintained at the IAF’s communications squadron at Palam.

They are currently operated by hybrid crews of IAF and civilians as I believe the civilian pilots are still conducting the PIC role until IAF pilots gets enough time on type (this could be a few years) but the eventual plane will be to have the entire ecosystem be IAF just like work the BBJs
Worked on those 747 for quite some time. They were rarely used for civil as they were expensive to maintain and broke down often. from what I have heard from permanent staff they were flown by air force pilots.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Worked on those 747 for quite some time. They were rarely used for civil as they were expensive to maintain and broke down often. from what I have heard from permanent staff they were flown by air force pilots.
I never heard of AF crews flying the 747s, everything I’ve read and seen indicated they were fully civilian crews (even the cabin crew)

Paddy Mayne

Country flag
Why was Lt Col Megh Singh "under the cloud" as mentioned by Lt Gen Harbaksh Singh in his autobiography "In the line of Duty"? Any info about that?
Why did he retire so soon after 1965 war when he could have rose to higher ranks of the Army given that he initiated Indian special forces and got a VrC?
Any info about how his life was post retirement from BSF?

EternalNxg

Country flag
Why was Lt Col Megh Singh "under the cloud" as mentioned by Lt Gen Harbaksh Singh in his autobiography "In the line of Duty"? Any info about that?
Why did he retire so soon after 1965 war when he could have rose to higher ranks of the Army given that he initiated Indian special forces and got a VrC?
Any info about how his life was post retirement from BSF?
Is Col Megh Singh sir still alive?? I looked it up online there's no mention of his death anywhere?? (EDIT)= Nvm, just found out he passed away in 2010 at age 88

Last edited: