Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

AnantS

Country flag
Is it Russian based or something else?
Our Transport fleet is fix of American, Russian and European Origin. Barring Do 228 and Avro 748. We dont manufacture any Transport planes. We shall be license producing C-295 and have some plans underway for manufacturing Light Transport Aircraft called Saras.

Japan could have won big order if they offered to License produce C2 and Shinmaywa in India. Japanese defense industries needs to learn from its Auto industries - how they set foot in India and by opting on local manufacture they captured not only Indian Market but having base/market in India also helped sales in other countries.

omaebakabaka

Our Transport fleet is fix of American, Russian and European Origin. Barring Do 228 and Avro 748. We dont manufacture any Transport planes. We shall be license producing C-295 and have some plans underway for manufacturing Light Transport Aircraft called Saras.

Japan could have won big order if they offered to License produce C2 and Shinmaywa in India. Japanese defense industries needs to learn from its Auto industries - how they set foot in India and by opting on local manufacture they captured not only Indian Market but having base/market in India also helped sales in other countries.
This is perhaps different as it probably has lot of US licencing involved and honestly volumes for these type in western market (everything else except China or Russia and its allies) are not high to warranty the auto level strategy and they simply don't have any MIC related outsourced as far as I know

AnantS

Country flag
This is perhaps different as it probably has lot of US licencing involved and honestly volumes for these type in western market (everything else except China or Russia and its allies) are not high to warranty the auto level strategy and they simply don't have any MIC related outsourced as far as I know
India can create markets for their products. I can easily see their wares being picked up by Indian ocean countries who closely follow Indian procurements.

omaebakabaka

India can create markets for their products. I can easily see their wares being picked up by Indian ocean countries who closely follow Indian procurements.
That is true in some things but simply no big market for the size of kawasaki planes outside few countries like India, China, Russia, US and Europe which have size and population and threats and economy. Out of that you can take out most except India as customer as each of the other has their own home grown choice. Rest of the export market if exists is probably muscled in by US and Euro companies. Never say never, India can lure with numbers of its own like lets say 48 to 72 but I think there is a lot of US ip that goes into it. Airbus is actually better deal for us if we combine and deal with civilian and military purchases. You are right though, this is one critical area where some level of home grown manufacturing in medium lift category is a multiplier to soverignity

AnantS

Country flag
That is true in some things but simply no big market for the size of kawasaki planes outside few countries like India, China, Russia, US and Europe which have size and population and threats and economy. Out of that you can take out most except India as customer as each of the other has their own home grown choice. Rest of the export market if exists is probably muscled in by US and Euro companies. Never say never, India can lure with numbers of its own like lets say 48 to 72 but I think there is a lot of US ip that goes into it. Airbus is actually better deal for us if we combine and deal with civilian and military purchases. You are right though, this is one critical area where some level of home grown manufacturing in medium lift category is a multiplier to soverignity
Shinmaywa has a use case with every Indian Ocean dwelling - China hating - Island Nations of South East Asia.
C2 Barring India I see one more potential customer in Indonesia.

Azaad

Country flag
Report: India to split 31 MQ-9B across 3 bases:

- 15 Seaguardians at INS Rajali in Tamil Nadu for maritime ISR.

- 8 MQ-9Bs at AFS Gorakhpur, UP for ISR along LAC in Northeast india

- 8 MQ-9Bs at AFS Saraswa, Haryana for ISR along LoC, Pak border & Ladakh (LAC).

In other words we'd have US personnel sniffing around 3 of our bases.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles