Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
I wish that they just don't completely drop Mig-21s out of service like this, keep some flyworthys around for training purposes for kind of pilots who can go through it - all that analogue hydraulics controls and all do have their purposes for training

of course it should not be used for combat duties but as trainers yes

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
I wish that they just don't completely drop Mig-21s out of service like this, keep some flyworthys around for training purposes for kind of pilots who can go through it - all that analogue hydraulics controls and all do have their purposes for training

besides, i've said it before and i'm saying it again,

true successor of Mig-21 should rather be a mass-produce-able supersonic jet than LCA style multirole one;
since we have that "Marut-i" in hand they should think about it

binayak95

Country flag

The MIG21 would make a terrible training platform because of how demanding it is of the pilot. It would make a fantastic missile though if one bothers to unman the thing.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
The MIG21 would make a terrible training platform because of how demanding it is of the pilot. It would make a fantastic missile though if one bothers to unman the thing.
that's exactly why it is good to keep around for 'pro's; just to keep their edges sharpened up on a challenging platform
otherwise fly-by-wire has significantly made it easier for them;

if we can keep those hydraulics on helis (which already is a difficult platform to master than a plane) with cheetah, chetak and all what is wrong in keeping at least 10-15 some Mig-21s for this sort of training for pro fighter pilots and so

omaebakabaka

besides, i've said it before and i'm saying it again,

true successor of Mig-21 should rather be a mass-produce-able supersonic jet than LCA style multirole one;
since we have that "Marut-i" in hand they should think about it
Anything that requires a pilot can't be cheap and if mass production brings costs down to "cheap" level then why not lca? Drone's could be the cheap mass produced ones as they don't require pilot but supersonic drones are going to be expensive

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Anything that requires a pilot can't be cheap and if mass production brings costs down to "cheap" level then why not lca? Drone's could be the cheap mass produced ones as they don't require pilot but supersonic drones are going to be expensive
HLFT-42 "Maruti" is supposed to be a conventional design with metal alloys construction = mass produce-able and relatively cheaper than composites and all in overall outcome
LCA is composites and all, takes more time to join together and cost factor goes up

omaebakabaka

HLFT-42 "Maruti" is supposed to be a conventional design with metal alloys construction = mass produce-able and relatively cheaper than composites and all in overall outcome
LCA is composites and all, takes more time to join together and cost factor goes up
Well, its a circle jerk of trade off nonsense, pilot's are of limited availability and possibly most expensive resource and highly valuable requiring lot of time to train even with computers flying these days. Obviously if you use metal vs composites, weight disadvantages and other tradeoff's come in requiring more powerful engines and other aspects. This is a dead end appraoch to go after cheapness, only way forward is to bring mass production level with base platform's and new materials and innovations to bring down costs. Compromising and retrogressing in manned aircraft is not way forward in my opinion.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Well, its a circle jerk of trade off nonsense, pilot's are of limited availability and possibly most expensive resource and highly valuable requiring lot of time to train even with computers flying these days. Obviously if you use metal vs composites, weight disadvantages and other tradeoff's come in requiring more powerful engines and other aspects. This is a dead end appraoch to go after cheapness, only way forward is to bring mass production level with base platform's and new materials and innovations to bring down costs. Compromising and retrogressing in manned aircraft is not way forward in my opinion.
sure but after all these years i'd rather be realist about things, and biggest bitter truth to accept here is

human life is dead freakin' cheap in this our MAHAAN rapepublik 😒

if it wasn't like that we would've given upon Mig-21 and other crashing jets here by 80s - but hey even ww2 era Sterling "Carbine" is still serving here just fine despite taking lives of our own soldiers in petty misfires every some time 😒

as for being tech parts; i'm merely asking for something mass produce-able that can quickly fill in the gaps than being empty-handed waiting for ;chaand ka tukdaa; that gets delayed again and again and again over times

LCA since its inception was projected as "Mig-21" replacement with multirole this that and kept dragging on same thing for much longer; now after all these years it's finally ready but making Tejas series (Mk1, Mk1A, Mk2 MWF and so) is still a very, very long term dream

we operated about 800+ Mig-21 thorough its lifetime here, i guess at least 250-300 of them were in active duty as a backbone of IAF in its peak; and all of that happened within fair timeframe of its induction-manufacturing etc here once soviets supplies stopped;

can we expect similar rapid manufacturing-induction of LCA-MCA etc here ? i am not so hopeful

that is why i'm rather asking for a workable compromise - HLFT design is known and tested in its predecessor HF-74 marut, engine is known muh F404 or F414, material and manufacturing is known, if we can crank up it for mass producing it with strapping modern equipments inside and all it can very well be a better successor to Mig-21, and i repeat MIG-21 ALONE, as forming some numbers

rest we can always go for advanced stuff with Tejas and AMCA in time

i've stopped consuming hopium since long, i only breathe high AQI air nowadays heh

AnantS

Country flag
My wish: Someday HAL takes up 2 hobby projects - All composite Mig 21 (with original powerplant) & All composite Marut with Kaveri

omaebakabaka

sure but after all these years i'd rather be realist about things, and biggest bitter truth to accept here is

human life is dead freakin' cheap in this our MAHAAN rapepublik 😒

if it wasn't like that we would've given upon Mig-21 and other crashing jets here by 80s - but hey even ww2 era Sterling "Carbine" is still serving here just fine despite taking lives of our own soldiers in petty misfires every some time 😒

as for being tech parts; i'm merely asking for something mass produce-able that can quickly fill in the gaps than being empty-handed waiting for ;chaand ka tukdaa; that gets delayed again and again and again over times

LCA since its inception was projected as "Mig-21" replacement with multirole this that and kept dragging on same thing for much longer; now after all these years it's finally ready but making Tejas series (Mk1, Mk1A, Mk2 MWF and so) is still a very, very long term dream

we operated about 800+ Mig-21 thorough its lifetime here, i guess at least 250-300 of them were in active duty as a backbone of IAF in its peak; and all of that happened within fair timeframe of its induction-manufacturing etc here once soviets supplies stopped;

can we expect similar rapid manufacturing-induction of LCA-MCA etc here ? i am not so hopeful

that is why i'm rather asking for a workable compromise - HLFT design is known and tested in its predecessor HF-74 marut, engine is known muh F404 or F414, material and manufacturing is known, if we can crank up it for mass producing it with strapping modern equipments inside and all it can very well be a better successor to Mig-21, and i repeat MIG-21 ALONE, as forming some numbers

rest we can always go for advanced stuff with Tejas and AMCA in time

i've stopped consuming hopium since long, i only breathe high AQI air nowadays heh
I will respond in summary, India is a type of country that let go of terrorists for a plane full of hostages before even letting the world put pressure on the hijackers and same with Abhiunandan....

Pilots are not cheap and are not just infantry like where you can pack and parcel a temple going mortal. Unless you are Ukraine or Pislamic rabid dog, people do care for their citizens somewhat even if its for their political selfishness in current world. You can;t cheap out for another reason which is a super power sitting next to us with an increasing tech quality and production capabilities. Last being we do not mass produce shit in any type of military product to the level that it matters......

Engines being least common denominator and imported, not much will be faster, LCA and its evolution with AMCA is the way to go. Only thjing faster could be metal, what else you are going to cheap out and still last in a battle with capable jets from other side? Without sensor packages you are blind and as good as dead and some of these are imports again.....

If something is not already rolling off the line snail pace or tortoise or cheetah pace now, then very unlikely we have the formula or record to do so especially in MIC. ISRO is a success story more or less because they invested and got most out of their platforms while investing in evolution and upgrades and better capabilities.

Hari Sud

Country flag
India has tremendously improved its military and air posture at LAC. Chinese watch out. Don’t try anything or you will be shown the dirt.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
I will respond in summary, India is a type of country that let go of terrorists for a plane full of hostages before even letting the world put pressure on the hijackers and same with Abhiunandan....

Pilots are not cheap and are not just infantry like where you can pack and parcel a temple going mortal. Unless you are Ukraine or Pislamic rabid dog, people do care for their citizens somewhat even if its for their political selfishness in current world. You can;t cheap out for another reason which is a super power sitting next to us with an increasing tech quality and production capabilities. Last being we do not mass produce shit in any type of military product to the level that it matters......

Engines being least common denominator and imported, not much will be faster, LCA and its evolution with AMCA is the way to go. Only thjing faster could be metal, what else you are going to cheap out and still last in a battle with capable jets from other side? Without sensor packages you are blind and as good as dead and some of these are imports again.....

If something is not already rolling off the line snail pace or tortoise or cheetah pace now, then very unlikely we have the formula or record to do so especially in MIC. ISRO is a success story more or less because they invested and got most out of their platforms while investing in evolution and upgrades and better capabilities.
Chinese have maintained their j 7s for unmanned drone role.
@Johny_Baba , I saw once an old documentary of IIT BOMBAY, they showed that student's of metallurgy department were asked to cut piece of iron or some metal of a particular shape and dimensions without power tools only with simple hammer and saw etc.
And the boys did it , exact shape , exact dimensions.
So I understand and appreciate your opinion about training pilots on this platform.
Mig 21 stopped to be a viable thing in 90s itself.
It has subpar Bvr capability, a radar cone which is not big enough to mount a good radar , no matter what you do
Israleis did present a mig upgrade called as mig 21 -2000 it is touted to be the best version ever .
Still compared to Tejas it was subpar , reason being weak armaments, poor electronic counter measure ( modern jets can literally fry a migs radar )poor cockpit visibility and also mig 21 is bad dog fighter.
It was made for a age , when USSR needed a rocket booster built around a jet fuselage to intercept rumbling amrikan bombers , thus it was made.
Russkes frowned on misris when they wanted the migs to fight against yahudis in war of attrition, and said misirs were asking impossible thing.
It was only when pakistani pilots trained the misiris , they were able to stand against phantoms.
Then during operation kavkaz , Soviet pilots came in Direct contact of israleis and they lost some planes , while Israelis lost no phantoms

KaiGenji

Country flag
Transport fleet is not having inhouse algorithm. But for fighters we do have our own flight algorithms and avionics. Otherwise where in earth would you find Israeli, Indian and European avionics on board a Russian platform.
Is it Russian based or something else?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles