Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

vampyrbladez

Country flag
“Quietly”
Not sure if they’re expecting the Air Force to bang bartans outside their bases to announce preparations for the Rafales.

Chutiya WION globalist pro USA lobby news. Rafale wahi aaeya aur Mandir bhi!

Sancho

Here is the tweet

Only gun trials remaining now ?
Report of Anantha Krishnan M from 2015:

Tejas FOC won’t skip the December deadline: ADA Chief

The Final Operational Clearance (FOC) of India's Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas is on track and it ‘won't skip‘ the December deadline announced by Defence Minister Manohar Parrkiar.

Speaking to OneIndia on the eve of 10th edition of Aero India, P S Subramaniam, ADA Director, said that all the projected schedules in the programme are on the right flightpath...

...Parameters to be completed during FOC phase
• Air-to-air refuelling
• Gun flight trials
• High speed low drag bomb with retarded tail unit
• Integration of supersonic drop tank
• Integration of BVR missile and Advanced Close Combat Missile
• Envelop expansion to higher angles of attack and load factor (g)
(Source ADA)...
https://www.oneindia.com/india/tejas-foc-wont-skip-the-december-deadline-ada-chief-1657277.html

- Refuelling trials just started
- gun trials awaited
- HSLD bombs were tested, trials complete?
- new supersonic tank, not available yet
- Derby integration finished I think k, Python V integrated, but reportedly with issues
- envelope expension within the limitation of the MK1 airframes was shown some time ago

indiatester

Country flag

https://www.oneindia.com/india/tejas-foc-wont-skip-the-december-deadline-ada-chief-1657277.html

- gun trials awaited
- Derby integration finished I think k, Python V integrated, but reportedly with issues
- envelope expension within the limitation of the MK1 airframes was shown some time ago
Last I understood was that Tejas needed (https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...g-fully-combat-ready/articleshow/64911632.cms)
1) Engine Relight
2) Air to Air refuling - Done
3) Firing from twin barrel Gsh-23 cannon

So IMO, only 2 more hurdles.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag

- gun trials awaited
refueling trial will be completed within this week

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
The only things left for FOC are the final version of avionics for all operational modes and care free handling of claw. BVR is done. Refueling is done (unless new modes are added). Gun trials need something from IAf's side, not ADA. This has been pushed out for later.

from ir ...brf .....(the only trusted source)

Shakti Malik

Country flag
Sorry I am new so can you please explain following terms.
1. Engine Relight
2. Claw

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bhramos

Country flag
Why lots of Apaches Crashing in Yemen!!!
not even shot down, just crashing 6-8 crashed in 4 years of war, 2-3 were shot down.... and all pilots killed, what will it be its fate in IAF........

binayak95

Country flag
not even shot down, just crashing 6-8 crashed in 4 years of war, 2-3 were shot down.... and all pilots killed, what will it be its fate in IAF........

Its Saudi pilots, you cant compare them to the IAF, can you? The fools have managed to loose about 4 Typhoons too! What do those pesky rebels have that can bring down a Typhoon? Nothing. But you cant teach camel humping idiots to fly well...

In the seven year period from 2003 to 2010 in Iraq, the US lost 22 Apaches, (and dozens of other helicopters) but again, threat envelope was far far greater - this is made clear by the fact that half of the losses were in the first year. Remaining losses were distributed. In most cases, (90%) the pilots survived.

Last edited:

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Well, what do you expect from these Arabs? All they can do well is to ride camels!

Oh wait! They can't do that too......

:)

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag

indiatester

Country flag
Engine Relight is going to be the tricky one! If it doesn't, we're going to lose the first ever Tejas!! Keep your fingers crossed. The test pilot will, I'm sure!
Fortunately we can try it on ground multiple times before we try it in air. Hopefully any hidden issue will be caught on land than in air.

Bhurki

Fortunately we can try it on ground multiple times before we try it in air. Hopefully any hidden issue will be caught on land than in air.
The turbine, blades and the compressor behave differently under high air pressure and also exhibit different qualities due to varying kind of inertia factors when subjected to high aerodynamic stress..
So no test on the ground can actually determine how a jammed compressor will perform while passing through air at 500 kmph.. Wind tunnel tests may prove to be useful for individual parts..
But relight is kind of a big deal for a new engine config.

indiatester

Country flag
The turbine, blades and the compressor behave differently under high air pressure and also exhibit different qualities due to varying kind of inertia factors when subjected to high aerodynamic stress..
So no test on the ground can actually determine how a jammed compressor will perform while passing through air at 500 kmph.. Wind tunnel tests may prove to be useful for individual parts..
But relight is kind of a big deal for a new engine config.
Forgive me sir. I thought tests on ground will help a tiny bit.

Kranthi

Engine Relight is going to be the tricky one! If it doesn't, we're going to lose the first ever Tejas!! Keep your fingers crossed. The test pilot will, I'm sure!
Actually, won't they be testing the engine relight when the pilot is in a position to glide the plane for landing in case of trial failure ? Just curious..

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Enquirer

Actually, won't they be testing the engine relight when the pilot is in a position to glide the plane for landing in case of trial failure ? Just curious..

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
And even before that they'll probably test it during a high speed taxi on a long runway.

That said, the engine is F404.... that has already been tested in similar conditions on board F18s multiple times in high speed flights. So, the risk of the engine failing to relight is very very slim!

If it was a brand new engine like Kaveri, then yes, the risk of losing Tejas in the test is pretty high!

Enquirer

They'll probably test it during a high speed taxi on a long runway first.

That said, the engine is F404.... that has already been tested in similar conditions on board F18s multiple times in high speed flights. So, the risk of the engine failing to relight is very very slim!

If it was a brand new engine like Kaveri, then yes, the risk of losing Tejas in the test is pretty high!

bhramos

Country flag
Its Saudi pilots, you cant compare them to the IAF, can you? The fools have managed to loose about 4 Typhoons too! What do those pesky rebels have that can bring down a Typhoon? Nothing. But you cant teach camel humping idiots to fly well...

In the seven year period from 2003 to 2010 in Iraq, the US lost 22 Apaches, (and dozens of other helicopters) but again, threat envelope was far far greater - this is made clear by the fact that half of the losses were in the first year. Remaining losses were distributed. In most cases, (90%) the pilots survived.
just got a small doubt, they were just crashing not combat losses i mentioned... i have no doubts on IAF, but on Apaches....

Well, what do you expect from these Arabs? All they can do well is to ride camels!

Oh wait! They can't do that too......

:)

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
just got a small doubt, they were just crashing not combat losses i mentioned... i have no doubts on IAF, but on Apaches....
Are you aware that the US FVL (Future Vertical Lift) program is replacing the Apache, Black Hawk and Chinook within a few years? Though Apaches can view real-time video feeds from nearby drones from the cockpit of the aircraft, the next-gen helicopters would allow crew to operate a forward-positioned armed attack drone or could even allow functions without needing human intervention. That would be attack chopper drones.

There are a number of unmanned drone choppers developed but none are armed with missiles and heavy weaponry. Mostly recce. The next gen choppers that are being developed by FVL will be fully armed, and autonomous if needed.

Have we got anything like this on the drawing board as yet? Maybe and maybe not!

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles