Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

kunal1123

Country flag
So which engine is coming in Tejas mark2 f414 ins6 of 98 kn or f414 epe of 120 kn . I think it is f414 ins6 of 98 kn is for Tejas mark 2 and f414 ins6 uprated by some feature from ede + some feature of epe @ 110 kn is for amca ( if Kaveri snecma fail to achieve 115 kn or fall short in tot ) . What you think ? Please also provide source as it is very interesting to see epe in Tejas mark 2 . Thanks in advance .
well i think it is still f414ins6 because they r still testing it . and i have reed nwes before 2014. That time i thought they might go for ede in NLCA .. but u see a lot of thing have ca\hange after that. and ge isjust started dilevery for grippen-e then it will follow india. and one more some EDE technology is already add in f414in6 and F414-GE-39E(without thrust increase to increase lifespan)
i cannot remember the sources and will take a lot of time to get 3 year news through google.....

kunal1123

Country flag
The contract with India is NOT for the delivery of EPE engines!!! Leave alone having it actually delivered from 2013 onwards(that's complete BS)!!! India has been WANTING to co-develop EPE along with GE but that JV hasn't been approved by the US as yet. At this time EPE is more of a concept than an actual project! EDE however has been realized!!! So, let's not just mix a whole lot of hearsay and conclude something abominable!!!!

Show me a reliable source that claimed that Mk2 would sport an EPE engine. EPE was always being considered for AMCA only(because EPE doesn't exist as yet - and needs several years to develop)!!!!
Show me one reliable/logical source that claims that ADA has designed Tejas for a service life of 10,500 hours!!!

The original issue was how many Kaveri engines will actually be consumed in the next 20 years as a result of Safran's claim to make Kaveri engine available for MK1A and for Mk2 (as part of some quid-pro-quo for enabling the purchase of additional 200 Rafales). And yes, Kaveri needs to be developed for the long term aircraft development strategy. However I am just baffled by the hyperbole, the wild extrapolation, the illogical numbers being thrown around and the quoting of fake news!!
well first i am not providing and fake news all of my source is a well know publicer. neither i am providing illogical number. nearly all modern get have life of 30+ year . and add mid life upgrade to increase it airframe life .
adn as per ge do one thing just google search "ge f414 india" and search out the info in news section there are too many different version. and for ge f414 they start both project way back and it is India wanted to jointly develop 120+ rated . they just started dilevery for grippen-e. and indian version is in testing

Scrutator

The contract with India is NOT for the delivery of EPE engines!!! Leave alone having it actually delivered from 2013 onwards(that's complete BS)!!! India has been WANTING to co-develop EPE along with GE but that JV hasn't been approved by the US as yet. At this time EPE is more of a concept than an actual project! EDE however has been realized!!! So, let's not just mix a whole lot of hearsay and conclude something abominable!!!!

Show me a reliable source that claimed that Mk2 would sport an EPE engine. EPE was always being considered for AMCA only (because it doesn't exist as yet - and needs several years to develop)!!!!
Show me one reliable/logical source that claims that ADA has designed Tejas for a service life of 10,500 years!!!

The original issue was how many Kaveri engines will actually be consumed in the next 20 years as a result of Safran's claim to make Kaveri engine available for MK1A and for Mk2 (as part of some quid-pro-quo for enabling the purchase of additional 200 Rafales). And yes, Kaveri needs to be developed for the long term aircraft development strategy. However I am just baffled by the hyperbole, the wild extrapolation, the illogical numbers being thrown around and the quoting of fake news!!
well first i am not providing and fake news all of my source is a well know publicer. neither i am providing illogical number. nearly all modern get have life of 30+ year . and add mid life upgrade to increase it airframe life .
adn as per ge do one thing just google search "ge f414 india" and search out the info in news section there are too many different version. and for ge f414 they start both project way back and it is India wanted to jointly develop 120+ rated . they just started dilevery for grippen-e. and indian version is in testing
There is no 'production' version of 414 engine that develops more than 98KN thrust. Any version of 414 that claims to produce more than 98KN is a conceptual/under-development version.

kunal1123

Country flag
There is no 'production' version of 414 engine that develops more than 98KN thrust. Any version of 414 that claims to produce more than 98KN is a conceptual/under-development version.
when i have said that it now produce more than 98kn.

That time i thought they might go for ede in NLCA .. but u see a lot of thing have ca\hange after that. and ge isjust started dilevery for grippen-e then it will follow india. and one more some EDE technology is already add in f414in6 and F414-GE-39E(without thrust increase to increase lifespan)

Scrutator

when i have said that it now produce more than 98kn.
You did by giving a vote of confidence to Bharat Karnad's article that contained several factual errors.

But I am glad that you're finally agreeing that "some EDE technology is already added in F414INS6" - which essentially gives the engine elongated lifetime!

lcafanboy

Country flag
" FROM THE DIPLOMATE"

“Under the program, we will finish testing next year and will begin to receive the T-50 jets in 2017,” Bondarev told Sputnik News. Back in June, during the Paris Air Show, the head of United Russia’s Aircraft Corporation, had still talked about a potential 2016 or early 2017 induction date

it's already feb 2017 . still no news
Russian Air Force to buy over 60 fifth-generation fighters

The Russian Air Force will receive more than 60 fifth-generation fighters from 2015-16, the force commander said on Tuesday.

"The Air Force will start taking delivery [of fifth-generation fighters] in 2015-16. The preliminary number is over 60," Col. Gen. Alexander Zelin said.

He also said the first batch of new fighters would be provided with older, "non-fifth" generation engines.

In mid-June Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin observed the 16th test flight of a prototype fighter.

Deputy Defense Minister for Arms Procurement Vladimir Popovkin said the Defense Ministry would purchase the first 6 to 10 aircraft after 2012, based on the outcome of initial tests. He said the fighter will be superior to similar U.S. models.

The prime minister said 30 billion rubles (around $1 billion) had already been spent on the project and another 30 billion would be required to complete it, after which the engine, weaponry and other components would be upgraded.

He said the fighter would have a service life of 30-35 years, if modernization and upgrades are factored in, and would be around three times cheaper than its foreign analogs

Russia's only known fifth-generation project is Sukhoi's PAK FA and the current prototype is the T-50. It is designed to compete with the U.S. F-22 Raptor, so far the world's only fifth-generation fighter, and the F-35 Lightning II.

Russia has been developing its newest fighter since the 1990s. The country's top military officials have said the stealth fighter jet with a range of up to 5,500 km should enter service with the Air Force in 2015.

The PAK FA is to be armed with next-generation air-to-air, air-to-surface, and air-to-ship missiles, and has two 30-mm cannons.

Russian Air Force to buy over 60 fifth-generation fighters | Defense | RIA Novosti

Here's the confirmation that actual pakfa with 5th generation capabilities will come only after 2024-25. Read this "He also said the first batch of new fighters would be provided with older, "non-fifth" generation engines" even radar is also not ready as they are planning for ROFAR radar. Also article says Russia is working on this plane since 1990 but first flight was in 2010, Now calculate how much years it took them to test. So how do you people expect AMCA to go into production by 2025. Think about it. That's the reason Rafales will come in big numbers.

Vijyes

Why are you two unnecessarily bringing i
Russian Air Force to buy over 60 fifth-generation fighters

The Russian Air Force will receive more than 60 fifth-generation fighters from 2015-16, the force commander said on Tuesday.

"The Air Force will start taking delivery [of fifth-generation fighters] in 2015-16. The preliminary number is over 60," Col. Gen. Alexander Zelin said.

He also said the first batch of new fighters would be provided with older, "non-fifth" generation engines.

In mid-June Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin observed the 16th test flight of a prototype fighter.

Deputy Defense Minister for Arms Procurement Vladimir Popovkin said the Defense Ministry would purchase the first 6 to 10 aircraft after 2012, based on the outcome of initial tests. He said the fighter will be superior to similar U.S. models.

The prime minister said 30 billion rubles (around $1 billion) had already been spent on the project and another 30 billion would be required to complete it, after which the engine, weaponry and other components would be upgraded.

He said the fighter would have a service life of 30-35 years, if modernization and upgrades are factored in, and would be around three times cheaper than its foreign analogs

Russia's only known fifth-generation project is Sukhoi's PAK FA and the current prototype is the T-50. It is designed to compete with the U.S. F-22 Raptor, so far the world's only fifth-generation fighter, and the F-35 Lightning II.

Russia has been developing its newest fighter since the 1990s. The country's top military officials have said the stealth fighter jet with a range of up to 5,500 km should enter service with the Air Force in 2015.

The PAK FA is to be armed with next-generation air-to-air, air-to-surface, and air-to-ship missiles, and has two 30-mm cannons.

Russian Air Force to buy over 60 fifth-generation fighters | Defense | RIA Novosti

Here's the confirmation that actual pakfa with 5th generation capabilities will come only after 2024-25. Read this "He also said the first batch of new fighters would be provided with older, "non-fifth" generation engines" even radar is also not ready as they are planning for ROFAR radar. Also article says Russia is working on this plane since 1990 but first flight was in 2010, Now calculate how much years it took them to test. So how do you people expect AMCA to go into production by 2025. Think about it. That's the reason Rafales will come in big numbers.
Rafales will come in big numbers but not in 150+. The original 126 Rafales or a little more may be ordered including the 36 already ordered ones if Safran keeps its words. But I don't think that 200 will be inducted outright. Dassault is taking 6 years to deliver 36 planes. If we exclude 2-3 years till 2018 when it will be manufacturing Rafale for other customers and only begin manufacturing for India in 2019, we can see that they make 12 Rafales a year. So, an additional order of 200 Rafales will require another 15 years or at least 10 years for delivery even if they fasten the production. AMCA is based on FGFA and the production is likely to begin by 2025-6 with the prototype flying by 2020 itself. So, by 2026, the maximum number of additional (in addition to existing 36 ordered) Rafales that can be delivered will be around 40-50. Why would India be in such a hurry to induct Rafales in 200+? Wouldn't it be prudent to order additional Rafales that can be delivered up to maximum of 2027 (roughly 60) after which AMCA can take over? Or may be order slightly more Rafales, say 90-100, as a thanks to Safran for helping in developing Kaveri engine?

kunal1123

Country flag
AMCA is based on FGFA
one think i am not able to understand why everybody keep stating this. currently Russia is not even allow ifa pilot to fly t-50. and amca when first thought is as MCA(basically 2 engine lca concept) from there it grown to amca .i am not saying that it will not get techo from t-50/rafale but it not based on that. it self growing concept starting from the very beginning .

So, by 2026, the maximum number of additional (in addition to existing 36 ordered) Rafales that can be delivered will be around 40-50. Why would India be in such a hurry to induct Rafales in 200+? Wouldn't it be prudent to order additional Rafales that can be delivered up to maximum of 2027 (roughly 60) after which AMCA can take over? Or may be order slightly more Rafales, say 90-100, as a thanks to Safran for helping in developing Kaveri engine?
well my number include IN version and looking current trend, i quoted the aprox number of squ. but yes this is a hypothetical number that take no other fighter come under mii route.
and u see if original mmcra tender + in req. it still reaching 190.
if no other fighter under mmi i do think the rafal number may touch original mmcra number (+-16)( IN VERSION included)

here is the expected ifa strength in 2030
Squadrons--39 --- Total Aircraft--- 699-- 30MKI--271 Rafale -- 136 TejasI/II --200 FGFA --50 AMCA--36

add 54 for IN ,Rafael total number is around 190.(i have not add f16/saab because i dont think that it will go through )

lcafanboy

Country flag
Why are you two unnecessarily bringing i

Rafales will come in big numbers but not in 150+. The original 126 Rafales or a little more may be ordered including the 36 already ordered ones if Safran keeps its words. But I don't think that 200 will be inducted outright. Dassault is taking 6 years to deliver 36 planes. If we exclude 2-3 years till 2018 when it will be manufacturing Rafale for other customers and only begin manufacturing for India in 2019, we can see that they make 12 Rafales a year. So, an additional order of 200 Rafales will require another 15 years or at least 10 years for delivery even if they fasten the production. AMCA is based on FGFA and the production is likely to begin by 2025-6 with the prototype flying by 2020 itself. So, by 2026, the maximum number of additional (in addition to existing 36 ordered) Rafales that can be delivered will be around 40-50. Why would India be in such a hurry to induct Rafales in 200+? Wouldn't it be prudent to order additional Rafales that can be delivered up to maximum of 2027 (roughly 60) after which AMCA can take over? Or may be order slightly more Rafales, say 90-100, as a thanks to Safran for helping in developing Kaveri engine?
The original requirement was 126 + 63 + 189 Rafales, which has only grown, since now all Mig 21s &27s will be retired by 2022 + 63 jaguars will also be retired by 2025 (only 60 jaguars are receiving Darin 3 upgrades) plus now IN too is interested in Rafales RFI for 57 already issued by Navy. Only obstacle for Rafales for Navy is that Both our carriers have problem with their lifts and Hanger entrance, Vikramaditya has small inner lift and even IAC 1 or Vikrant has problem with its lifts and Hanger entrance. Naval Rafales will now only come if France is able to modify our carriers which I doubt or they make Rafales with Folding wings again doubtful. However IAF alone has requirement of aprox. 250 Rafales.

If not Navy has only one choice and that is MIG29/35k as no other fighter will fit our carriers due to flawed design of lifts and hanger entrance. Regarding delivery Rafales can be supplied from both plants, Merignac France (33/year capacity) and Nagpur (16-24/year) India.

lcafanboy

Country flag
AMCA is based on FGFA and the production is likely to begin by 2025-6 with the prototype flying by 2020 itself.
How come AMCA is based on FGFA? From which angle it looks like FGFA? A few Goodies could be transferred to AMCA and vice versa but Hull and all other things are different. Do you have a magic wand, that you can completely test a FLY-BY-Wire, RSS fighter including weapons trial within 6yrs of first flight of TD (roll out 2019 end) not even prototype in 2020 (optimistically). Then there will be prototypes 6-8 nos and then LSPs. Look at time frames of all fifth gen fighters and see how much time it took them to mature the product and these countries are way ahead in terms of technologies. (Don't Compare Lizard products which are copied and not upto mark)

Heck even 4th gen fighters take 10-15 years of testing look at Euro-fighter and Rafales.

Scrutator

AMCA project has not yet been approved/funded. Right now only some peripheral R&D projects to prove key technologies related to AMCA are being funded. The detailed design project hasn't started as yet - so, unlikely that a prototype would fly by 2020.

lcafanboy

Country flag
AMCA project has not yet been approved/funded. Right now only some peripheral R&D projects to prove key technologies related to AMCA are being funded. The detailed design project hasn't started as yet - so, unlikely that a prototype would fly by 2020.
Initial Funds have been released for both Ghatak and AMCA Just now. So project has/will be started with TD roll out expected by 2019 end.
http://www.defencenews.in/article/G...of-Ghatak-UAV-and-AMCA-Stealth-Fighter-250298

Scrutator

Initial Funds have been released for both Ghatak and AMCA Just now. So project has/will be started with TD roll out expected by 2019 end.
http://www.defencenews.in/article/G...of-Ghatak-UAV-and-AMCA-Stealth-Fighter-250298
The funds released are only to prove out some critical technologies. Even, according to the article that you yourself pointed:
"Both Ghatak ACAV and the AMCA 5th generation stealth fighter are awaiting final clearance from the Prime Ministers Office. Development time for both projects is estimated to be seven years according to government sources."

Most optimistically AMCA final design project might start in about 1 year and then take several years (3-5) for the detailed design to be complete and then about 1-2 years for the prototype to be built!! 2019 for a roll out is almost impossible. Tejas Mk2 whose design is almost done (after 4+ years) will roll out it's first prototype around 2019!!

Even the engine selection hasn't been done for AMCA as yet!!!!

lcafanboy

Country flag
The funds released are only to prove out some critical technologies. Even, according to the article that you yourself pointed:
"Both Ghatak ACAV and the AMCA 5th generation stealth fighter are awaiting final clearance from the Prime Ministers Office. Development time for both projects is estimated to be seven years according to government sources."

Most optimistically AMCA final design project might start in about 1 year and then take several years (3-5) for the detailed design to be complete and then about 1-2 years for the prototype to be built!! 2019 for a roll out is almost impossible. Tejas Mk2 whose design is almost done (after 4+ years) will roll out it's first prototype around 2019!!

And here some members are dreaming about AMCA to enter into IAF service by 2027. LOL

Again it only proves Rafales are coming in big numbers above 200 definitely and around 250. Even if Naval variant does not come (not due to Rafales problem with Stobar but due to Lifts and Hangar entrance).

kunal1123

Country flag

well you know the story of lca is not going to repeat here in amca.
the problem with lca is that we have financial constrain and no knowledge.(well very little ). in lca step by step approach taken for example. in lca the design for radar started 5 year after td rolled out and other. for amca more parallel approach is taken the required technology development is going on parallel

AMCA will have to cross five key phases before becoming a reality. They include: PDP, Detail Design Phase (DDP), Development Phase, Flight Test and Certification Test.
PDP,- Project Definition phase completed around 2014
Detail Design Phase or (Engineering Technology & Manufacturing Development (ETMD)) started just after pdp.
and now they are awaiting tor product development (td+pv) and continuous working on technology.
and we are seeing work to acquire engine is going on . that why i think that as soon as we get our hand on engine the amca work is go on full swing. drdo chief dr.Tamilmani many time projected that they will take 7-8 year to start production from funding. and i think they are working for same timeline..

lcafanboy

Country flag
the problem with lca is that we have financial constrain and no knowledge.(well very little ). in lca step by step approach taken for example. in lca the design for radar started 5 year after td rolled out and other. for amca more parallel approach is taken the required technology development is going on parallel

AMCA will have to cross five key phases before becoming a reality. They include: PDP, Detail Design Phase (DDP), Development Phase, Flight Test and Certification Test.
Detail Design Phase or (Engineering Technology & Manufacturing Development (ETMD)) started just after pdp.
and now they are awaiting tor product development (td+pv) and continuous working on technology.
and we are seeing work to acquire engine is going on . that why i think that as soon as we get our hand on engine the amca work is go on full swing. drdo chief dr.Tamilmani many time projected that they will take 7-8 year to start production from funding. and i think they are working for same timeline..
I am taking into considerations that LCA story will not be repeated with AMCA only then it will come to production by 2032-35. If LCA story is repeated then after 2040. BTW even if it comes by 2032 it will be the same time when oth 5th gen fighters will be coming online like Korean, Japanese, Turkey, Rafale-NG, and even Chinese. So no need to panic. Only US has and will have 5th gen fighters till 2030 (Only Russian PAKFA with full 5th gen features may come by 2025).

Scrutator

How could the Detail design phase have started in 2014 when it is still awaiting PMO approval and the funds for the same have not been released?? In an interview with Shekar Gupta, ADA chief Balaji himself echoed the same - that pending proving of some critical technologies, the detail design of AMCA hasn't started as yet!! From the 'New DRDO projects" list it is obvious that some more funds have been released to continue the work on critical technologies - but not on the full fledged detailed design.
The 4+ years of design work that I mentioned was for Mk2 (after Mk1 had already flown few thousands of hours).
It's one thing to be excited but another thing to be unrealistic.

Chinmoy

Country flag
“The concept and feasibility study for the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) has completed and submitted to the government. We are awaiting the government’s approval to develop prototype vehicles (PVs),” P.Ramachandra, director, admin and planning, Aero-nautical Development Agency told this newspaper on the sidelines of the Indian Science Congress.
http://www.asianage.com/science/040117/india-to-make-stealth-fighter.html

We have a dedicated AMCA thread where it has been discussed in details that the design of the platform has already been freezed. It is better to discuss anything regarding AMCA in that thread.

Vijyes

How come AMCA is based on FGFA? From which angle it looks like FGFA? A few Goodies could be transferred to AMCA and vice versa but Hull and all other things are different. Do you have a magic wand, that you can completely test a FLY-BY-Wire, RSS fighter including weapons trial within 6yrs of first flight of TD (roll out 2019 end) not even prototype in 2020 (optimistically). Then there will be prototypes 6-8 nos and then LSPs. Look at time frames of all fifth gen fighters and see how much time it took them to mature the product and these countries are way ahead in terms of technologies. (Don't Compare Lizard products which are copied and not upto mark)

Heck even 4th gen fighters take 10-15 years of testing look at Euro-fighter and Rafales.
I don't understand what you want to say. The useless turkey, south korea etc who have never designed a plane before are expected to complete their 5th generation fighter by 2030 and India which has already built LCA and has a lot of experience will take till 2030 that too when the initial design had officially begun in 2011? Don't you think it is retarded to state that? The biggest hurdle in LCA was kaveri engine and with snecma designing it to get the required thrust and are about to complete it by 2018 (before Modi's term ends so as to get a speedy follow-up order), 50% of the work is done. If Kaveri engine gets done by 2018, then AMCA can definitely release a prototype by 2020 and a few more prototypes till 2022, get trials done and come out for production by 2027. We should also understand that India has been developing radars and avionics in parallel, either on its own or as joint venture with foreign countries like Israel or even drawing experience from FGFA. LCA Mk2 is being delayed as AMCA is considered priority and also in anticipation of Kaveri engine for Mk2 to be completed by Safran instead of going ahead rashly with GE F414. Otherwise I don't see why would just changing an engine from MK1A to MK2 which would involve mere redesigning of airframe and no changes in difficult to make avionics should take 5 years. IAF is even happy with MK1A but navy needs Mk2 for better thrust.

India is not way behind anyone except USA and Russia in technology, not even france and UK (except engine), forget turkey, south korea or Indonesia. The only technology elusive to India is the engine and that is being done by Snecma/Safran. What is there to cause so much delay? Who said FOC has to be obtained for mass production? Tejas Mk1A hasn't got FOC but is being produced. We should also remember that the recession on 2008 had caused severe fund crunch to research which also caused considerable delay.

If Rafale production is 33 per year, why is the 36 rafale taking till 2022 for delivery? Since france is engaged with other production till the 2018 and will only start producing indian rafale in 2019 and also make the first delivery same year, why is the 36th rafale taking till 2022? The production is around 12-18 a year atmost. If India orders 150 rafales additionally, then the delivery will only commence after the delivery of first 36 in 2022 which would mean that Rafales would be delivered by 2030-32. If kaveri engine is completed by Safran's help, consider AMCA to be done by 2026-7. There may be some minor tweaks which can be later done as upgrades or additions after induction too. There will be no point buying 200 or even 150 rafales except as a thanks to Safran for helping in Kaveri. More reasonable numbers would be 100 additional rafales to be delivered by 2027-8 after which AMCA and LCA Mk2 will probably be the only inducted fighters in large numbers. Some FGFA fighters from Russian joint development may also be inducted additionally since the deal has been signed with Russia regarding the same

Vijyes

I am taking into considerations that LCA story will not be repeated with AMCA only then it will come to production by 2032-35. If LCA story is repeated then after 2040. BTW even if it comes by 2032 it will be the same time when oth 5th gen fighters will be coming online like Korean, Japanese, Turkey, Rafale-NG, and even Chinese. So no need to panic. Only US has and will have 5th gen fighters till 2030 (Only Russian PAKFA with full 5th gen features may come by 2025).
Please look at Eurofighter which started in 1986, developed prototype in 1994 and got flight trials completed by 1998 and inducted in 2003. Dassault Rafale was also started in 1986 after france walked out of the eurofighter and started producing by 2001. These fighters also faced a major problem of fund crunch. Rafales git severe budget cuts in 1995s and was delayed for that reason, mainly engine being the culprit. Eurojet got delayed due to cheap politics which otherwise would have been inducted by 1999 itself, just 5 years after prototype.
Considering that France never made any fighter jets before, completing the rafale in 15 years with all radars and other things, India which has experience in LCA and will get Kaveri engine soon, well funded by Modi government should be able to get things done by 2025-7. Engine is almost everything in fighter jets flight trials and induction. Radars etc can always be added provided some space is left empty in the plane as reserve. I don't see why you have to just shout that 2032,2040 etc without giving reasons.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles