India China LAC & International Border Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Nice interview by Nitin Gokhale of Jayadeva Ranade who makes some excellent points on the decision to dis-engage after the Doval-Wang Yi conversation and why it means so little:

There is zero trust in India on the Chinese statements to withdraw. It will be accepted only after verification.

There is no timeline to complete the withdrawals and restore the status quo and so it could take forever.

The Chinese have not given up on their objectives. It is just that they came to the conclusion that this is not the right time to pursue them after they realized on June 15 that any push into India will result in a major war.

The next time they will come back faster and in greater strength to give the IA less time to prepare and deploy in strength.

The objective seems to be to cut off DBO at the very least and maybe a more ambitious target of cutting off India's access to the Siachen glacier as well.

IA and specially the IAF have to be more proactive in monitoring the border. Much greater use of UAVs and satellite imagery to monitor PLA movements. And a willingness by the IA to do a "
quid pro quo" i.e. grab some other Chinese border area to bargain with. According to Ranade there are quite a few areas along the border which the IA could grab, hold and then bargain with if required.

China may withdraw now and postpone their agenda till weak government comes in. We have lots of people for whom their personal interest matters more than national interest, herefore it is necessary that we elect nationalist people and not those fifth columnists.

Thundering13th

Country flag
There were no options then , we are building them now. Winter would still be a problem though.
The sa
[Qsaser TE="AmitG, post: 1714911, member: 33284"]
There were no options then , we are building them now. Winter would still be a problem though.
[/QUOTE]
The Saser la road I think is open only in summers. Hope we make it a all weather road.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
Chinese envoy steps in to save PM Oli govt, her office says don’t want NCP in trouble

Some Extracts..
Chinese ambassador Hou Yanqi reached out to Nepal Communist Party leader Jhala Nath Khanal on Tuesday, continuing her outreach to NCP leaders who have joined hands to push out Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli, people familiar with the development said. Hou has, over the last few days, met President Bidhya Devi Bhandari and senior Nepal Communist Party (NCP) leader Madhav Kumar Nepal as well, triggering criticism about the envoy’s role in Nepal’s internal politics. Nepal and Khanal, both former prime ministers, are aligned with the rival faction led by Pushpa Kamal Dahal, better known by his nom de guerre Prachanda.
Hou Yanqi’s deep interest in Nepal’s politics and PM Oli’s continuation has been widely criticised in Kathmandu.
The Chinese Embassy has defended Hou’s meetings. Embassy spokesperson Zhang Si told the Kathmandu Post that China did not wish to see the Nepal Communist Party in trouble and wanted the leaders to resolve their differences and stay united.

Varun2002

Country flag
! The ordinary citizen continues to be polite and respectful to all foreigners, especially Indians and goes about his / her work with professionalism and dedication......No, the Chinese do not need the rhetoric, they go by their business, in ruthless fashion..... We Indians are pretty safe here!
Barring one or two exceptions, and even these were not too bad, my experiences with Chinese people from the mainland has been quite positive and pleasant. These people cannot be the ones responsible for border aggression or pompous global pronouncements! They are quite gentle and down to earth. Needless to say, our loathing should be directed toward the Chinese government, military, media, think tanks, and yes, those drones among the people who support their government and military.

Hari Sud

Country flag
Distance from the Chinese post inside Galwan to DSDBO Raod (not Leh -DBO Raod) is about 6 - 7 km. But that is immaterial becuse the raod is within the range of almost entire Chinese artillery deployed in Sub Sector North and Galwan Sector including Pengang Tso.

What matters is observed fire. If PP 14 is with the Chinese they can observe all movements on near Post 120 on Road DSDBO. However observed Fire can be brought on this raod from hundreds of other heights and Nallahs along the LAC.
except during winters.
What then matters is that Galwan valley is the easiest and nearest way to capture this road and physical occupy the it. Galwan has a raod axix and this means it is an easy axis to attack the road. Thirdly this PP14 location can be developed into all weather post and thus will be the only observation point in this entire area during winters.

The question of DSDBO raod is also a bit overstated, Area Murgo and area DBO North of it is also connected by another Summer raod passing through Nubra valley west of Karakorum ranges. Hence building up forces to DBO without of Chinese observation is assured via that route. Logistics stocking etc can be carried out from there also. What is significant about DSDBO raod is that it the only link during winters. it is wide raod and capable of taking heavy movement. Besides it is directly linked to Rupasi Manali Raod without going towards Leh.

DSDBO road runs parallel to LAC and thus vital for LAC managements. All feeder roads leading to LAC in Galwan and Northern sector will emanate from it.

Next step probably would be to construct 4-6 km tunnel in front of Galwan River - Shyok confluence. But the importance of Galwan valley Road can not be neutralized because that the central road from which all Chinese feeder roads emanate towards LAC... such as Gogra. Hot spring. Kongka and Pengang Tso.
My understanding is the main road which connects Leh with DBO is farther away. It is the feeder road which connects the Galwan River valley to the main road has been the point of contention. Chinese did not wish this feeder road to be completed. That 6km distance, I believe you quoted, is to the feeder road. You are right - artillery can devastate that road. The reverse is also true that Indian artillery can target all Chinese feeder roads to their main Akash-Chin road And devastate them, hence Chinese have no advantage.

May I ask you a question - how easy is to Chinese to connect with Pakistani troops in around Karakoram and Daulat Beg Oldi area. It would appear that Pakistanis were overjoyed at this possibility. What is the possibility of that happening?

Country flag

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
China may withdraw now and postpone their agenda till weak government comes in. We have lots of people for whom their personal interest matters more than national interest, herefore it is necessary that we elect nationalist people and not those fifth columnists.
Operation Brasstacks (18 November 1986 – 6 March 1987)

General Hoon maintained that, General Sundarji did not inform Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi about the scale of the operation and such details were hidden from him. Hoon also wrote in his memoir: "Brasstacks was no military exercise. It was a plan to build up the situation for a fourth war with Pakistan."

Kumata

Country flag
Barring one or two exceptions, and even these were not too bad, my experiences with Chinese people from the mainland has been quite positive and pleasant. These people cannot be the ones responsible for border aggression or pompous global pronouncements! They are quite gentle and down to earth. Needless to say, our loathing should be directed toward the Chinese government, military, media, think tanks, and yes, those drones among the people who support their government and military.
i have a mixed experience with bat eaters....professionally though and i dont trust them.... they do show their 2 faces at critical times...

else, i always dread my long haul flights where i had to deal with a chinese tourist groups.. they are the worst.. even ahead of us indians LOL

LDev

Country flag
From whatever is available on the net and I am not talking Shukla , no way does this disengagement look like return to status quo. As usual India is in danger of loosing land. What rubbish is this that we can’t patrol till pp14 till all disengagement is completed. Just means that the Chinese can keep the pot boiling and say things are not settled and the buffer zone turns into a permanent grey area and we loose land till pp14 to and the Chinese are close to their objective of pushing our forces till the Shyok river. Looks like we will never learn and our politicians and babus have once again been cowed down by the Chinese :doh:.
The question is whether under this Doval-Wang Yi agreement IA patrols are permanently barred from going up to PP 14? If there is a permanent ban then indeed India has lost out. If this is an interim step until the forces di-engage then it is back to status quo. If however there is no time frame for dis-engagement then China could claim all kinds of reasons and blame India for the failure of the disengagement and India has again lost.

Realize this that 20 Indian soldiers lost their lives over the IA right to patrol up to PP 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles