India-China Border conflict

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Sorry, couldn't understand.
Please explain.
Sir , I just meant that in pleatues .
These fast moving quad vehicles can hold up entire tank columns .
Plus they are better than a multiple infantry men carrying missiles, as one vehicles carries 5 to 6 missiles.
They are fast agile and too small of a target for a tank to shoot unless tanks are supported by infantry.
Having said that , only issue is the missiles in the pics are konkurs or kornets , a wire guided missile .
Thus the jawan has to stay at place to guide the missile to the target. Increasing the risk of the jawans being targeted .
Oh how i wish that instead of these , army inducted a third generation missile like amogha mk 3 or mpatgm which are top attack fire and forget missiles.
True shoot and scoot capability.

karn

Country flag
That part is already being done, mokoman posted many maps here where different positions have pathways connecting them.

View attachment 152810

View attachment 152811
See my point is to nullify the PLAAF advantage . We have air defence around our airbases and main logistic bases . Im trying to make the case that the forward troops will have airdefence at the ready .. Having those airdefence trucks like strela, osa, QRSAM etc moving with the rest of the army will make them more vulnerable. Unlike the plains there are only limited paths the aircraft can take en route to a target on the cheen border. It gives the defender a large advantage.
The case to attack them is a separate matter.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
See my point is to nullify the PLAAF advantage . We have air defence around our airbases and main logistic bases . Im trying to make the case that the forward troops will have airdefence at the ready .. Having those airdefence trucks like strela, osa, QRSAM etc moving with the rest of the army will make them more vulnerable. Unlike the plains there are only limited paths the aircraft can take en route to a target on the cheen border. It gives the defender a large advantage.
The case to attack them is a separate matter.
In my opinion every infantry Battalion should have manpads with them
In kargil we lost many aircrafts to stingers and anzas

Joe Shearer

Country flag
That can be decided when we work out the working components of our battle formation. A battalion may no longer exist independently, only as elements within an integrated battle group.

Joe Shearer

Country flag
You are technically incorrect - three is 'many'. Nachiketa's MiG 27 first, but that may have been due to breaking formal procedures deliberately, in order to get a shot, and the aircraft crashed due to the engine flaming out; then the unfortunate Ahuja's MiG 21 was shot down by a MANPAD, and finally, the second case of shooting down, a Mi 17 with its complete complement of 4 crew members.

karn

Country flag
You are technically incorrect - three is 'many'. Nachiketa's MiG 27 first, but that may have been due to breaking formal procedures deliberately, in order to get a shot, and the aircraft crashed due to the engine flaming out; then the unfortunate Ahuja's MiG 21 was shot down by a MANPAD, and finally, the second case of shooting down, a Mi 17 with its complete complement of 4 crew members.
It's not about the numbers .. After this helicopters were out of the picture as were low flying aircraft. This paki tactic of a stinger on every mountain top paid them dividends . There is a reason LCH will not get full scale production without validating its MAWS.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
It's not about the numbers .. After this helicopters were out of the picture as were low flying aircraft. This paki tactic of a stinger on every mountain top paid them dividends . There is a reason LCH will not get full scale production without validating its MAWS.
Indeed the lch was conceived for fighting in high mountains.

Joe Shearer

Country flag
Yes, you are right. I was just musing about the number(s); nothing relevant, really.

Joe Shearer

Country flag
Indeed the lch was conceived for fighting in high mountains.
Strictly speaking, no.

The ALH was conceived for high altitude operations.
The Light Combat Helicopter was an afterthought.
In between, some clever bloke weaponised the Dhruv, and that weaponised version is doing VERY well indeed.

indiatester

Country flag
Correct observation that Wang Yi had nothing positive to offer during his visit.
Not even sure why his visit went ahead even when India gave enough indications to visit only if he had something substantial.

sachincba

Country flag
My take -

China would suffer massively if they cross over into India from North.
Does not matter how great their supply chain is in their border, once they cross and enter India, it's a different ball game. There would be multiple factors working against their invasion and most of them are fatal to Chinese.

Conversely, we are pretty much in a worse position to attack China.
We will face the same set of challenges when invading their territory that China would face, some times in a higher order of magnitude.

As Mike Tyson once famously said 'Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth'.
Indians are used to getting punched into the mouth & getting back up for the next fight.
When was the last time China was punched in the mouth?
Yeah. It is a difficult job to attack across Himalayas for both India and China. But China has smooth logistics upto border while logistics is difficult on Indian side. I doubt India will ever take a preemptive strike across the border. Any strike by India will happen only after China attacks and a conflict is already on.

As far as missile siloes, air defence and a network of thin defending force along the border is concerned. I doubt it is feasible to put a defending force across the border which can resist Chinese onslaught. But still we need to put some kind of defence. What kind is the question.

What are the clear strategic points in Tibet that we can hold. I guess it is difficult. China will have plain movement to take out any Indian ingression.

Even after conflict, I doubt any side will gain territory. All will be back to where they were.

We should take some targets on the east coast of China through missiles in the beginning of conflict. That will put some fear in them.

Angel of War

Country flag
Yeah. It is a difficult job to attack across Himalayas for both India and China. But China has smooth logistics upto border while logistics is difficult on Indian side. I doubt India will ever take a preemptive strike across the border. Any strike by India will happen only after China attacks and a conflict is already on.

As far as missile siloes, air defence and a network of thin defending force along the border is concerned. I doubt it is feasible to put a defending force across the border which can resist Chinese onslaught. But still we need to put some kind of defence. What kind is the question.

What are the clear strategic points in Tibet that we can hold. I guess it is difficult. China will have plain movement to take out any Indian ingression.

Even after conflict, I doubt any side will gain territory. All will be back to where they were.

We should take some targets on the east coast of China through missiles in the beginning of conflict. That will put some fear in them.
the best of assesments say that nothing will turn out of the conflict except a bloody stalemate for both sides . Neither india nor china will make much gains except a few tactical victories here and there .

Joe Shearer

Country flag
the best of assesments say that nothing will turn out of the conflict except a bloody stalemate for both sides . Neither india nor china will make much gains except a few tactical victories here and there .

I beg to differ. On several points.

First, that PLA Logistics is better than ours.
Yes, perfectly true; we cannot, must not do anything beyond out-thinking their game of Go that is being played against us at the moment.
The thing is that their clear and marked unwillingness to start a shooting war gives us all the time in the world to improve our own logistics. What does it involve, in significant terms? a continuous, high-quality roadway from Daulat Beg Oldi to Walong, with emphasis on the parts from Manali to Dibrugarh/ Tinsukia.
Also rail lines, built to connect production centres to transhipment centres, and airports close to individual production centres, again with connected airports close to, or part of transhipment centres.
There is nothing to this that is beyond emulation

Second, who will attack and why.
The PLA wants the Indian Army to suffer a slow degradation of morale, by being posted in a war zone that is always tense, but that never has the tension let up, because one party wants to put psychological pressure on the other.
On the other hand, the Indian Army need not continue to do what it is doing today, waiting for the other shoe to drop.
So training troops to meet certain military objectives, but continuing to help respond to the planned campaign of a thousand small incidents, will help keep the fighting edge on our troops.
Then, if the opportunity arises to fight, we shall have a well-trained and well-motivated bunch ready for combat.
Why the combat?
There are very strong reasons, but at this moment, let us pause with the conventional war-planning against the PLA.
More to follow.