DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Tridev123

Country flag
Very true and development and production of such drones is not even close to the complexity involved in other projects such as making nuclear submarines, ballistic missiles, cruise missiles, radars, aircrafts. I am very confident we have all the technology to build such simple Quadcopters 100% in-house itself. I don't see how we lack the tech to do so.
Hate to dampen your enthusiasm but while we can manufacture hitech weapons like nuclear submarines, tanks etc the harsh reality is that there is substantial dependence on imported components/systems etc.Please find out the share of imported components volume and value wise.

Achieving System Architecture knowledge capability is fine.How to integrate various components and sub systems to produce a desired output/performance is indeed a commendable capability.

But it's not the final goal.

Not really an acceptable situation.
We need to achieve independence even at the components level.The public and private sector need to work together to create the industrial base.We should be able to design new systems based on the requirements of the end users.

Especially design cutting edge CNC machines that are so necessary to produce most hitech components.For ensuring very high quality and fine tolerances.

I believe we import most of these requirements presently.

Must try to reach that level of technological independence as soon as possible.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Are there any brushless/coreless motor manufacturers of scale in India or do we import everything from China?

How much would it cost to set up a factory with automation the scale of China to build motors of various sizes for different applications?

Wishlist includes DC motors of various sizes.
5KWBDGS.jpg

5kW brushless DC motor by DRDO for Tejas. ToT is there for interested parties.

mamamia12

Hate to dampen your enthusiasm but while we can manufacture hitech weapons like nuclear submarines, tanks etc the harsh reality is that there is substantial dependence on imported components/systems etc.Please find out the share of imported components volume and value wise.

Achieving System Architecture knowledge capability is fine.How to integrate various components and sub systems to produce a desired output/performance is indeed a commendable capability.

But it's not the final goal.

Not really an acceptable situation.
We need to achieve independence even at the components level.The public and private sector need to work together to create the industrial base.We should be able to design new systems based on the requirements of the end users.

Especially design cutting edge CNC machines that are so necessary to produce most hitech components.For ensuring very high quality and fine tolerances.

I believe we import most of these requirements presently.

Must try to reach that level of technological independence as soon as possible.
I think the amount don't justify indigenisation. I mean we could go that way until our ties with west strain. But, some crucial things must be indigenized like Engines, Management Systems, datalinks etc. I mean not everyone could indigenize everything on a get go. It goes on in a phased manner. If you look at PLA Navy ships of earlier everything is of french and ukrainian/russian origin. But now they are completely domestic. Private companies won't build sub-components without sufficient orders. If our own PSUs try to make them on their own, even if they succeed they balloon the costs so much.

mokoman

Country flag
Are there any brushless/coreless motor manufacturers of scale in India or do we import everything from China?

How much would it cost to set up a factory with automation the scale of China to build motors of various sizes for different applications?

Wishlist includes DC motors of various sizes.
what ever we cant make we should stockpile now, buy parts for 100,000 drones , buy from china itself .

Last edited:

Tridev123

Country flag
I think the amount don't justify indigenisation. I mean we could go that way until our ties with west strain. But, some crucial things must be indigenized like Engines, Management Systems, datalinks etc. I mean not everyone could indigenize everything on a get go. It goes on in a phased manner. If you look at PLA Navy ships of earlier everything is of french and ukrainian/russian origin. But now they are completely domestic. Private companies won't build sub-components without sufficient orders. If our own PSUs try to make them on their own, even if they succeed they balloon the costs so much.
Nobody is underestimating the challenges.
It will take time and effort.
At least we need to draw up a list of the most important and strategic items that should be indigenised.

Depending always on other countries for crucial components is fraught with risk. Supply chains can be disrupted for economic or political reasons.

Quoting certain reports from the Ukraine conflict.
It seems many Russian weapons used electronic components from companies in the US and Europe. Not sure if the reports are true.
Ridiculous right, use US made components in weapons designed to destroy US military hardware.

(Take it as a joke)
Do we want to use Chinese components in weapons that will be used against the PLA in Ladakh or Arunachal Pradesh.

IndianHawk

Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles