DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

AnantS

Country flag
Then you should say Liquid RAMJET engine. You already mentioned that you are not talking about Akash which uses a RAMJET engine.

LFRJ for STAR is already completed as per DRDO.
yes Liquid fuelled Ramjet was what i referred to. LFRJ Engine being realised was update for last Def Expo I dont think - we have yet heard any updates on progress of any prototype realization of STAR.

Chinmoy

Country flag
yes Liquid fuelled Ramjet was what i referred to. LFRJ Engine being realised was update for last Def Expo I dont think - we have yet heard any updates on progress of any prototype realization of STAR.
That's why I said, you don't make something because you can make it.

AnantS

Country flag
That's why I said, you don't make something because you can make it.
If above was the reason - why would DRDO spend so much time and money on developing LRFJ engine that too around specs drawn for STAR missile? Something is amiss here. Having your own LRFJ cruise missile shall prove to be cheaper than JV Brahmos... so it makes sense DRDO having spending money and time on such projects -only if it had been with the objective of realizing the product for eventual deployment.

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
i cant recollect surely, but i sort of remember proto was under construction

Chinmoy

Country flag
If above was the reason - why would DRDO spend so much time and money on developing LRFJ engine that too around specs drawn for STAR missile? Something is amiss here. Having your own LRFJ cruise missile shall prove to be cheaper than JV Brahmos...
There is our problem.

DRDO is a research organization, not a manufacturer. Research and development is independent of manufacturing. DRDO has researched on Liquid RAMJET. But when it comes to manufacturing, the manufacturer would look into the potential economic advantage they would have from the product.

If I am not wrong, yesterday or day before yesterday, here itself a news was given that BRAHMOS would be used as a target. Now in this scenario, if I am the manufacturer, the fact would be back in my mind that how many target missiles would be ordered? What would be my ROI?

STAR is not a dedicated weapon, but a target and systems are like these are ordered in single digit. So you don't go on and manufacture a system because you have the capability to manufacture it. As far as technology development is concerned, it is independent of it. You development technology for the time when you would need it.

AnantS

Country flag
There is our problem.

DRDO is a research organization, not a manufacturer. Research and development is independent of manufacturing. DRDO has researched on Liquid RAMJET. But when it comes to manufacturing, the manufacturer would look into the potential economic advantage they would have from the product.

If I am not wrong, yesterday or day before yesterday, here itself a news was given that BRAHMOS would be used as a target. Now in this scenario, if I am the manufacturer, the fact would be back in my mind that how many target missiles would be ordered? What would be my ROI?

STAR is not a dedicated weapon, but a target and systems are like these are ordered in single digit. So you don't go on and manufacture a system because you have the capability to manufacture it. As far as technology development is concerned, it is independent of it. You development technology for the time when you would need it.
okay I understand.. your point of contention was developing STAR just as target practice did not make sense- as requirement is small - its economical to just use brahmos. But what I understood was STAR was just a waypoint on the path of realising eventually a ramjet cruise missing which is not brahmos.

Chinmoy

Country flag
okay I understand.. your point of contention was developing STAR just as target practice did not make sense- as requirement is small and economical to just use brahmos. But what I understood was STAR was just a waypoint on the path of realising eventually a ramjet cruise missing which is not brahmos.
Absolutely. That's why I posted that DRDO poster where its already mentioned that Liquid Ramjet development is complete. So when need arise, we have the base foundation for the build.

AnantS

Country flag
Absolutely. That's why I posted that DRDO poster where its already mentioned that Liquid Ramjet development is complete. So when need arise, we have the base foundation for the build.
hope they have a project of cruise missile based on it. Not putting in use in house developed items/skill because of easy outside alternative - eventually means you lose knowhow skill with time. Ask britain about it(wrt rockets etc). We eventually need to work on realising turbojet-ramjet/scramjet technologies like SABRE.

Chinmoy

Country flag
hope they have a project of cruise missile based on it. Not putting in use in house developed items/skill because of easy outside alternative - eventually means you lose knowhow skill with time. Ask britain.
We eventually need to work on turbojet-ramjet/scramjet technologies.
Irony is, if DRDO would go forward with a LFRJ based cruise missile concept, DRDO itself would hold them back from doing so.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles