DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

NutCracker

Country flag
Buzz in sm
Specially by alpha defence is that
Brahmos aerospace gonna modify a brahmos...
For a sam test by navy
Brahmos will be used as a target
So it will be mrsam vs brahmos
Yousuf Unjhawala said on Chawda's podcast that we rely on Russia for the engines of Brahmos. How true is that.
Other member can also provide info.

NutCracker

Country flag
Absolutely true. We use Russian engine in Brahmos. Even fuel.
So our production capacity bottleneck is how many engines Russia can provide, currently situation might be more dire.

So many decades of JV yet we are not self reliant on critical tech.
Ab to Mal(n)ik hi sahara hai . At least subsonics missiles will be ours.

Chinmoy

Country flag
So our production capacity bottleneck is how many engines Russia can provide, currently situation might be more dire.

Ab to Manik hi sahara hai .
We do manufacture the engine components in India. If we would go on and stat using our own engine in Brahmos, where is the meaning of JV?

NutCracker

Country flag
We do manufacture the engine components in India. If we would go on and stat using our own engine in Brahmos, where is the meaning of JV?
Question was slightly ambiguous "who makes Brahmos propulsion" . Y.U. said "Russia".

It's good if engine components are made in India.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Question was slightly ambiguous "who makes Brahmos propulsion" . Y.U. said "Russia".

It's good if engine components are made in India.
Yes. Its just like the Al-31 engine. The components used in the engine are sourced from Russia and the engine is Russian tech. As I said, even the fuel used is sourced from Russia.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
I just want to know it something happens tomorrow and we are no longer in contact with Russia can we still use brahmos?

AnantS

Country flag
Yes. Its just like the Al-31 engine. The components used in the engine are sourced from Russia and the engine is Russian tech. As I said, even the fuel used is sourced from Russia.
Also we dont have a working scramjet as of yet of our own to be placed in cruise missile. Our own Scramjet Ramjet projects are work i progress I think. (I am not counting Akash and ASTRA MK3)

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
Also we dont have a working scramjet as of yet of our own to be placed in cruise missile. Our own Scramjet projects are work i progress I think. (I am not counting Akash and ASTRA MK3)
We do have a working SCRAMJET.

raju1982

Country flag

Ab to Mal(n)ik hi sahara hai . At least subsonics missiles will be ours.
Brahmos is now 75% indigenous. 100% is not possible as its a JV with Russia. Some of the works must go to them.

That is the reason DRDO working on LFRJ and few others like Scramjet.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Sorry for typo. I meant Ramjet. Any news on STAR missile status which was being developed?
Then you should say Liquid RAMJET engine. You already mentioned that you are not talking about Akash which uses a RAMJET engine.

LFRJ for STAR is already completed as per DRDO.

Blademaster

Then there would be no JV and hence no BRAHMOS. It would exists by some other name.
Enough with the wordplay. Will India have that capability to produce brahmos type missiles including engine and fuel if all collaboration with Russia were to stop?

standard snowball

Country flag
Enough with the wordplay. Will India have that capability to produce brahmos type missiles including engine and fuel if all collaboration with Russia were to stop?
Short Answer No

Long Answer We don't know, while it's true that the Engine is Russian, it is not known whether it is manufactured in Russia or in India with Indian materials or we do a CKD assembly of the engine from imported Russian parts

Articles