DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Enquirer

Civilian plane has little difference with military transport plane. So, India may opt or C295 as both civilian and military plane or get C295 and RTA together to hedge the risk.

C295 has risk of foreign companies backstabbing at the last minute and hence going for RTA in parallel may be preferred. In this case, RTA will also be made. If only C295 is opted for, then C295 itself will be used as civilian plane with modification
Yeah right! Indigo, AirIndia, Vistara etc will all start buying C295 because MoD picked that aircraft for them!!!

When will you ever grow up dude??

porky_kicker

Country flag
Which frequencies ? X-band ?
What benefits would a half face covered with RAM bring ? Why not cover the whole thing with RAM.
From the looks of it that thing would attract all kinds of debris/dust. Maintenance will be a pain in the ass.
Won't reveal the frequency range.

This I believe is a operational level testing of RAM on naval ships for future use in new ships.

This is another type of RAM tiles used in another class of ship kamorta. It is also rubber based RAM but of different geometry.

2429438.jpg

The important thing which everybody is overlooking is

1. EMI Electromagnetic interference
2. EMC Electromagnetic compatibility

If a RAM or RAS is implemented on a ship post deployment , it isn't possible to achieve optimal RCS .

This is due to the presence of various emitters , transmitters and receivers for EW , ESM , navigation etc. It will create EMI / EMC issues with the already installed onboard systems mentioned above.

However if RAM or RCS implementation is included pre construction stage during design phase itself then one can achieve optimal coverage of reduced RCS. Because then EMI / EMC will be factored in , and the transmitters , receivers and emitters will be appropriately located to mask any interference and compatibility issues due to the presence of RAM / RAS.

Coming to the Kolkata class destroyers you will notice the presence of transmitters recievers etc of the EW system, navigation etc located at the sides of the mast and hence the absence of RAM there , on the frontal side however there is absence of the same on the mast and hence RAM was implemented.

Future under design naval ships will have much better implementation of RAM and RAS based on the current experience from the same

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
Blue laser for underwater communication.
Experimental prototype

View attachment 34975
The prototype has give good results and based on it we might see a deep sea blue laser based communication system coming up within the next 10 years if everything goes alright.
It will allow communication between submarines and sub surface platforms, aerial platforms including satellites at LEO orbits

Country flag
155 mm Nuc shell tested at Pokhran in 1998 ? Are you sure ?
Theoretically or otherwise a 152 mm Howitzer (Russian guns) and 155 mm NATO standard Howitzer all can fire nuclear shells.
But you do not need larger chamber capacity to fire a nuclear shell. Larger chamber means more BMC or other propellent which means more range. That is it.
This could be because our tactical ranges for a Nuclear shell is higher compared to Russians or NATO.
This was also revealed in a discussion on Lok Sabha TV, If I cam find the video, I'll send the link.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Watch from 6:20

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A look at the Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS)

Designed by DRDO, built mainly by private industry

1,500 – 2,000 guns needed by army

Rs 15-18 crore per gun, total cost about Rs 30,000 crore

ATAGS is a 155-millimetre, 52-calibre gun-howitzer

45-kilometre range with “extended range” ammunition

Fires six rounds in 30 seconds, fastest in the world

World’s first towed gun with all-electric drive

Weighs 16 tonnes, 2-3 tonnes heavier than comparable guns

Fires 60 rounds in 60 minutes in “sustained fire” mode

25-litre chamber for larger projectile

http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/search?q=ATAGS

I am neither part of ARDE nor of OFB or Kalyani or TATA nor DRDO.
I have quoted numerous sources ... that is the end. keep or lump it.
Close the topic of Chamber capacity.

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
WEIGHT ISSUE OF ATGS

In a few massage back, there was aheated discussion on the weight issue of ATGS. It was projected as if weight is no issue and that I am deliberately raking up the issue.

I here quote an article which claims Army had raised the issue, themselves.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/natio...-enter-next-stage-by-june/article25791046.ece

It further says:
The Army, which is in the process of drawing up the PSQR that details the essential and desired parameters for the gun, has already flagged a few concerns related to weight and accuracy. The gun currently weighs about 18 tonnes while the ideal weight for the army would be 14-15 tonnes. While the development team wanted the weight, accuracy and firing parameters to be relaxed in the PSQR, the Army has said that would be looked into after the user-assisted trials commence."

However, one of the bullshitter came bulldozing and told me how is my concern ? He seemed to convey that he is the lord and the buyer and questioning his wisdom was an affront. I hope the weight issue is clarifies. It is for the user to raise the issue and settle the issue.

Which is the gun in the world which has 18 ton weight in similar class and category - he should find out himself and tell Indian Army who raised the issue unless this blighter is above them.

lcafanboy

Country flag
155 mm Nuc shell tested at Pokhran in 1998 ? Are you sure ?
Theoretically or otherwise a 152 mm Howitzer (Russian guns) and 155 mm NATO standard Howitzer all can fire nuclear shells.
But you do not need larger chamber capacity to fire a nuclear shell. Larger chamber means more BMC or other propellent which means more range. That is it.
We have 155mm shell nuclear weapons from 1994 itself all subkiloton and neutron bomb. All those gas burps porkies emit every now and then about tactical battlefield nuke missile nasr with 60kms range and 6-10 kt yield is not exactly a tactical battlefield nuke, every one here should know this atags itself has 60kms range and can fire nuclear weapon shell with 0.3-0.5kt yield neutron bomb now that is called tactical battlefield nuke. Fire and walk on it within hours......

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
We have 155mm shell nuclear weapons from 1994 itself all subkiloton and neutron bomb. All those gas burps porkies emit every now and then about tactical battlefield nuke missile nasr with 60kms range and 6-10 kt yield is not exactly a tactical battlefield nuke, every one here should know this atags itself has 60kms range and can fire nuclear weapon shell with 0.3-0.5kt yield neutron bomb now that is called tactical battlefield nuke. Fire and walk on it within hours......
It is difficult to digest this because it is not in the declaration regime nor have we herd of it being tested anywhere. Such weapon systems are required to declared rather than kept secret to covey to the other side of the capabilities.

Technologically, miniaturisation of a 0.5 KT neutron bomb by India may be possible, its use merely based on computer simulation or computer designing would be unpredictable in a situation when a sure shot retaliation or effect would be called for / conveyed to the other side.

Tactical nuclear weapons are that provides the indispensable bridge from peace to nuclear war. Their shape, size or yield of the bomb and methods of delivery are just a matter of details and assurance It centers around each side’s efforts to convince the other of a readiness for a war that neither would want.

Tell me advantages of a gun fired TNW as against a missile fired or a rocket fired one. Given the range of 60 km (unproved and only claimed in air so far), we have rocket launchers like Smerch and Pinaka to deliver TNW with improved and course correction fuzes. I understand the dangers a missiles poses in conveying incorrect signals. However, one needs to fire tens of sub KT bombs to achieve the desired results. More number of nuc shells would create great control problems.

ATAGS has a larger chamber capacity and theoretically may fire at longer ranges but cannon launched TNW have their inherent dangers of storage, transportation, maintenance, command and control.

lcafanboy

Country flag
It is difficult to digest this because it is not in the declaration regime nor have we herd of it being tested anywhere. Such weapon systems are required to declared rather than kept secret to covey to the other side of the capabilities.

Technologically, miniaturisation of a 0.5 KT neutron bomb by India may be possible, its use merely based on computer simulation or computer designing would be unpredictable in a situation when a sure shot retaliation or effect would be called for / conveyed to the other side.

Tactical nuclear weapons are that provides the indispensable bridge from peace to nuclear war. Their shape, size or yield of the bomb and methods of delivery are just a matter of details and assurance It centers around each side’s efforts to convince the other of a readiness for a war that neither would want.

Tell me advantages of a gun fired TNW as against a missile fired or a rocket fired one. Given the range of 60 km (unproved and only claimed in air so far), we have rocket launchers like Smerch and Pinaka to deliver TNW with improved and course correction fuzes. I understand the dangers a missiles poses in conveying incorrect signals. However, one needs to fire tens of sub KT bombs to achieve the desired results. More number of nuc shells would create great control problems.

ATAGS has a larger chamber capacity and theoretically may fire at longer ranges but cannon launched TNW have their inherent dangers of storage, transportation, maintenance, command and control.
We had ASAT capabilities from 2010 but it's only now that it was tested and declared that to by gung-ho Modi government. If CONgreess had been in power it still wouldn't have been disclosed. Same modus operandi for many defence related products.
Recently, I have come across by a defence personnel that we used air borne KALI direct energy weapon to create avalanche to press a few porks across border. That was news to me....

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
According to Baba Kalyani ATAGS has a 27 litre chamber and fired at a maximum pressure of 560 MPa.
Source : above video 6:20 minutes onwards.
Tell us how does it matter ?
Is that laid down PRFI ?
Tell us why should IA be paying 4 crores more for ATAGS compared to AtHOS and Dhanus ? Because it has larger chamber ?
Larger chamber has increased the weight of the gun. Is not it a negative factor as compared to other two guns?

Introducing unknown, undeclared factors likr mini nucs has no meaning unless that is what Indian Army is asking for. Firing a mini nuc with 155mm Howitzers is a matter of doctrine which Indian Army will decide and not DRDO or Baba Kalyani.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Bhadra, unlikely you know exact Army requirements. You are engaging in conjecture.

Firing a nuke shell is an interesting capability. And it may be required. You cannot move missile carriers as these raise suspicion. Artillery is an ordinary item and is available in thousands.

Weight issue and accuracy are important no doubt and DRDO may be working on it. Aluminum forgings can reduce weight of carriage. The gun itself may stay heavy I think unless they can change the metallurgy.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles