DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

porky_kicker

Country flag
Is that an old image? Can't be new (or reliable).
IAF hasn't asked for a 100km range Astra Mk2; that range used to be purely a speculation earlier!
Now Astra Mk2 is clearly set to have SFDR and a range in excess of 160kms!!!
AFAIK
Astra mk1 solid rocket motor ( with 60km range ) will be replaced by dual pulse solid rocket motor ( to give 100km range ) in Astra mk2, everything else will remain same as in Astra mk1. Natural progression in capabilities.

Dual pulse rocket motor of NGARM will be utilised in Astra mk2

SFDR based BVRAAM will be a completely new design and will be totally different from Astra series, no commonality including nomenclature.

This is what I know and I ain't guaranteeing the info because as usual no point counting the chickens before the eggs hatch.

Last edited:

Enquirer

AFAIK
Astra mk1 solid rocket motor ( with 60km range ) will be replaced by dual pulse solid rocket motor ( to give 100km range ) in Astra mk2, everything else will remain same as in Astra mk1.

SFDR based BVRAAM will be a completely new design and will be totally different from Astra series, no commonality including nomenclature.

This is what I know and I ain't guaranteeing the info because as usual no point counting the chickens before the eggs hatch.
That used to be the 'rumor' for several years.......and DRDO is to be blamed for it. DRDO displayed those specs at several expositions....as their concept.
But work on Astra Mk2 didn't start until very recently. DRDO was waiting for IAF to finalize the requirements....which they seem to have done recently. The requirement is clearly for a BVR with 160+ kms range.

NGARM is of a completely different form-factor - the diameter, thrust etc are very different from Astra Mk1 (even if the overarching design philosophy might be the same). As such the NGARM motor cannot be used in Astra class missile.

Conceptually, a dual-pulse motor could be used on a Astra class missile....but given IAF's requirements SFDR might be the way to go.....

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
AFAIK
Astra mk1 solid rocket motor ( with 60km range ) will be replaced by dual pulse solid rocket motor ( to give 100km range ) in Astra mk2, everything else will remain same as in Astra mk1. Natural progression in capabilities.

Then by your source what is the range of astra mk-2?
Why they are developing astra mk-2 then, Is SFDR will not take care of the desired range?
Is cost the factor?

Enquirer

Is satcom operational with rustom mk2...

Will it be operational before rustom mk2 get inducted....
Last time it was reported sat com work is going on
And rustom mk2 flew for 16 hours......
The issue will not be about the Sat comm inside Rustom II, but the availability of 24/7 Satellites in the LEO orbits!
A single LEO Sat might be over the area of interest only about 1-2 hrs a day! So, the forces will need 12-20 Sats for round the clock comm coverage!
Current communication is Line-of-sight...that restricts the range to 250kms..

To overcome this, I had suggested that one Rustom should be able to RELAY comms from another Rustom......thus extending the effective range of the UAV even when using only Line-of-sight communication.

Advaidhya Tiwari

The issue will not be about the Sat comm inside Rustom II, but the availability of 24/7 Satellites in the LEO orbits!
A single LEO Sat might be over the area of interest only about 1-2 hrs a day! So, the forces will need 12-20 Sats for round the clock comm coverage!
Current communication is Line-of-sight...that restricts the range to 250kms..

To overcome this, I had suggested that one Rustom should be able to RELAY comms from another Rustom......thus extending the effective range of the UAV even when using only Line-of-sight communication.
Satellite communication generally means GEO satellites, not LEO satellites. I don't think LEO satellites launched by India have communication ability. They are mainly for remote sensing Satellites at 700km orbit and revolveover 15 times around the earth every day. Why would anyone use such LEO satellites for military communications?

Drones that work on satellite command use GEO satellite with beam switching capability. Modern GEO military satellites use technology called spot beams instead of wide beams to focus the power of transmission and reception of a transponder on a specific limited area. This allows higher data rate and enables 2 way video feed. By using many transponders, the satellites are able to cover large areas.

Relay is definitely a good idea, similar to network centric warfare, but that still does not mitigate need for satellite based communication.

https://spacenews.com/satellite-operators-push-plan-to-upgrade-military-spy-drones/
https://i-hls.com/archives/80664

porky_kicker

Country flag
Is satcom operational with rustom mk2...

Will it be operational before rustom mk2 get inducted....
Last time it was reported sat com work is going on
And rustom mk2 flew for 16 hours......
No idea , first we will need a geostationary satellite with capability to support links to UAVs etc 24x7.

If we have that then utilising SATCOM on UAV is no biggie

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
No idea , first we will need a geostationary satellite with capability to support links to UAVs etc 24x7.

If we have that then utilising SATCOM on UAV is no biggie
The Rustom-2 is currently capable of operations up to 300 km away from its control center with UHF and C-band links, and much longer away with SATCOM, still under test from live fist

Satcom under testing means we hv that geostationary satellite may be

porky_kicker

Country flag
Possibly the first time one gets to see the picture of the DRDO BMD MCC ( mission control centre )

View attachment 35085

Picture of MCC isn't of high resolution but something is better than nothing , also the pic is old.
7777654_1q_jpegf45c6812a8206a363b9835bb793b8d4e.jpeg

7777655_q2_jpeg94f08bb5284933a0874f0a4f1305aa4c.jpeg

This one is the relatively modern iteration of either the DRDO BMD MCC ( mission control centre ) or LCC ( launch control centre ).

No sure which one , information very scare.

Everything is housed inside a EMP shielded military shelter and can be mounted on a trailer for mobility if required.

Last edited:

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Experimental Radar Testbed (ERT) being developed by DRDO

The ERT is DRDOs first adaptive Beamforming Radar which allows the radar beam to be “shaped” and focused in particular directions to enhance specific range/detection characteristics

View attachment 35098
Is aad the xrsam....

Or aad and xrsam s are different

Global Defence

New threads

Articles