DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Chinmoy

Country flag
Simple question who will carry air launched pralay ?

Rudram3 weights only 1.6 tons

How can one say one is the derivative of the other with certainty ? What commonality is there between rudram 3 and pralay ? Pointy nose and cylindrical body ? If sub systems common that's another matter
Loooong back I called upon why we need dedicated bomber for us. MKI is not the reply for everything.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Loooong back I called upon why we need dedicated bomber for us. MKI is not the reply for everything.
I don't think so that bombers will be needed by us. We simply don't require strategic Bomber Aircrafts. Anyways if in a theoretical scenario we do consider buying these bombers Than what are the Options in terms of Bomber Aircrafts for us? SU-34? TU-22M3? TU-160? B1 Lancer? Anything else which seems as an option?

not so dravidian

Country flag
Found something interesting about the kinetic rod that @fire starter Bhai shared.

In an old paper by Raytheon, they attached hundreds of tungsten rods to a base plate.
Then, they launched the SAM against ballistic missile.
When the SAM intercepted the BM, the rods were released and to suprise, it even eliminated even the cluster warhead in missile.

What's interesting is The simulation diagram image was different and I wonder how rods were released.

I'll try to share the image once I get home.

Tuco

Country flag
Found something interesting about the kinetic rod that @fire starter Bhai shared.

In an old paper by Raytheon, they attached hundreds of tungsten rods to a base plate.
Then, they launched the SAM against ballistic missile.
When the SAM intercepted the BM, the rods were released and to suprise, it even eliminated even the cluster warhead in missile.

What's interesting is The simulation diagram image was different and I wonder how rods were released.

I'll try to share the image once I get home.
Are you talking about Continuous-rod warhead?

Super Flanker

Country flag

Chinmoy

Country flag
I don't think so that bombers will be needed by us. We simply don't require strategic Bomber Aircrafts. Anyways if in a theoretical scenario we do consider buying these bombers Than what are the Options in terms of Bomber Aircrafts for us? SU-34? TU-22M3? TU-160? B1 Lancer? Anything else which seems as an option?
We are not considering bombers currently because of the cost factor predominantly. But it doesn't mean we don't need it.

We are developing Hypersonic missiles now. When it would come into deploying it from air, from where you would launch it? YYou can't go on and keep on integrating every missile and bomb in your arsenal with MKI. Doing so you are seriously impacting its physical integrity plus its primary role.

Tuco

Country flag
Yes, Bhai this one.
It was almost identical to this.

Was wondering how the warhead wud be released, since rods depend on relative speed.

So will there be a seperate ejection port like area for rods seperation??
Inertia, but the roads would be heavy so there must be assisted by explosives.

Super Flanker

Country flag
some good footage over here.

I believe that the Above video is referring to Rods being used as Warhead of the Missile. So it will work something like this(as shown in this picture)
Continuous-rod-warhead.png

I believe that these type of Warheads are effective mostly against Soft bodied Aircrafts which are made of Aluminium(I may be wrong here and there so feel free to correct me)

So its basically Called as a Continuous-rod warhead:

A continuous-rod warhead is a specialized munition that exhibits an annular blast fragmentation pattern, so that when it explodes it spreads into a large circle that cuts the target. It is used in anti-aircraft and anti-missile missiles.

Tuco

Country flag
I believe that the Above video is referring to Rods being used as Warhead of the Missile. So it will work something like this(as shown in this picture)View attachment 129483
I believe that these type of Warheads are effective mostly against Soft bodied Aircrafts which are made of Aluminium(I may be wrong here and there so feel free to correct me)

So its basically Called as a Continuous-rod warhead:
A continuous-rod warhead is a specialized munition that exhibits an annular blast fragmentation pattern, so that when it explodes it spreads into a large circle that cuts the target. It is used in anti-aircraft and anti-missile missiles.
Yup, thats what this is. What @not so dravidian and @Chinmoy are referring to is different, doesn't form a circle but hits like a shotgun.

Continuous rod warheads me thinks will be very useful against swarms.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
perhaps EO pods on drones attached to arty units, will be used to pinpoint the location beyond LOS.
Dont think so, then they could have just made something like spike NLOS. SANT range is just 10km and hence not really the role you proposed.
It's really a mystery what exactly was SANT developed for which HELINA can't do, given that MMW radar is not available.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Yup, thats what this is. What @not so dravidian and @Chinmoy are referring to is different, doesn't form a circle but hits like a shotgun.

Continuous rod warheads me thinks will be very useful against swarms.
I believe that what @Chinmoy and @not so dravidian are referring to is actually fragmentation Warhead.

Why? because you have mentioned shotgun type because shotgun bullets are such that one bullet contains small silver balls(I forgot what they are called thought) which spread across the target.
35864.jpg
1-s2.0-S1270963817305916-gr002.jpg

Like this:

Chinmoy

Country flag
I believe that what @Chinmoy and @not so dravidian are referring to is actually fragmentation Warhead.

Why? because you have mentioned shotgun type because shotgun bullets are such that one bullet contains small silver balls(I forgot what they are called thought) which spread across the target.View attachment 129491View attachment 129492

Like this:
This is prefragmented warhead. Kinetic rod warhead is different then framentation warhead in design concept.

In a prefragmented warhead, fragments are casted and used around the explosive warhead. Consider it as hand grenade.
In a kinetic energy rod warhead, explosive are casted around the projectile rod. This make it more uni directional rather the omni directional like fragmented warhead. You could compare it with a claymore mine.

So working principle of both are different.

Super Flanker

Country flag
This is prefragmented warhead. Kinetic rod warhead is different then framentation warhead in design concept.

In a prefragmented warhead, fragments are casted and used around the explosive warhead. Consider it as hand grenade.
In a kinetic energy rod warhead, explosive are casted around the projectile rod. This make it more uni directional rather the omni directional like fragmented warhead. You could compare it with a claymore mine.

So working principle of both are different.
Thanks for the Explaination @Chinmoy I have got to look and research a bit more about all this Warhead and stuff.