Why did China withdraw from Arunachal in 1962 skirmish?

R

rockdog

I think the China carefully kept the scale of war after 1962 conflict, and did some friendly move, even returned captured equipments and POW.

I don't know whether any Indian member here know this? Since i have been Indian forum for 3 yrs, and nobody mentioned it.
May i got the confirmation about this happened?

Here comes the Return List from some of our official document, i used the Google Translator here:

Source:
Return list

Picture:

Return List of Captured equipment by PLA, statistic by PLA (by google translate):
Soviet-made helicopters á4 m 1 (worthy of use)
British otter-type transporter 1 (severely damaged)
American Má3A3 Tank 2 (lack of spare parts)
Auto 117 units (50 units intact, 67 units a lack of spare parts)
British 88mm cannon 3 (2 a lack of spare parts, a severely damaged)
British 88mm Howitzer 18 (14 a lack of spare parts, four severely damaged)
British 75mm mountain guns 6 (2 a lack of spare parts, four severely damaged)
British 106.7mm mortar 7 (lack of spare parts)
British 81mm Mortar 54 (15 intact, 36 the lack of spare parts, three severely damaged)
British 51mm Mortar 75 (58 intact, 17 the lack of spare parts)
Heavy machine gun 22 (7 intact, 13 the lack of spare parts, 2 severely damaged)
US-made 7.62mm machine gun tank 6 (lack of spare parts)
Inch 7.7mm light machine gun 261 (223 intact, 26 the lack of spare parts, 12 severely damaged)
Inch 7.7mm light machine gun barrel 208 preparation (all good)
Canada's system of 9mm sub-machine guns 552 (488 intact, 41 the lack of spare parts, 23 severely damaged)
US-made 7.62mm semi-automatic rifles 30 (all good)
Inch 7.7mm rifle 2,105 branches (1,750 branches intact, 306 a lack of spare parts, 49 severely damaged)
Pistol 57 (40 intact, 12 the lack of spare parts, four severely damaged)
Signal gun 79 (71 good, 4 a lack of spare parts, four severely damaged)
US-made 90mm rocket launcher 37 (26 intact, eight missing parts, three severely damaged)
Grenade launchers, grenade launchers 12 (11 intact, a lack of spare parts)
More than 22,400 shells made (all good)
Bullet 2,139,000 I made (all good)
Inch 7.7mm light machine gun magazine 2,181 (all good)
Canadian-based 9mm submachine gun magazine 950 (all good)
90mm rocket launcher shell 137 Fat (all good)
Hand grenades, 19,357 rounds (all good)
Flares 500 rounds (all good)
Mines 1,895 pieces (all good)
US-made air compressor 4 sets (3 sets intact, a Taiwan lack of spare parts)
Bulldozer 7 units (6 units intact, one Taiwan, the lack of spare parts)
British Roller 1 Taiwan (lack of spare parts)
Generator 4 (a lack of spare parts, three severely damaged)
Oil Machine 2 (all good)
Radio 6 (1 intact, five severely damaged)
Walkie-talkie 10 (8 intact, 2 severely damaged)
Telephone 7 (1 intact, six were seriously damaged)
Battery 10 boxes (all good)
Telescope 30 (all good)
Parachute 400 (all good)
More than 280 bundles of barbed wire (all good)
Garden spades, cross-ho 350 (all good)
Drums 757 (497 intact, 260 damage)
Wire 5,600 m (some good)
Other military equipment (including helmets, parachutes, ropes, observation, communication, engineering equipment, etc. 1)
Military coats, blankets, 1,973 pieces of (all good)
More than 2,760 pieces of military uniforms (2,410 pieces intact, more than 350 pieces of worn-out)
Mosquito nets, blankets, bed sheets, etc. More than 720 pieces (all good).

-----------------------------------------

I still think this is not a fully humiliating, and here comes two messages from Mao:
1. Do not challenge China in Tibet, even we are on the weakest time (59-62)

2. showing a good will after a fighting, we still can be friends (not Bhai Bhai any more), and can co-exist in the camp of developing nations

How do your Indian members think?

---------------------------------------

One more question:
If we check the sheet, the equipments seems not that bad comparing PLA had, why from the book:

Himalayan Blunder: The Angry Truth About India's Most Crushing Military Disaster
Amazon.com: Himalayan Blunder: The Angry Truth About India's Most Crushing Military Disaster (9788185019666): J.P. Dalvi: Books

This General J.P. Dalvi complained that IA lack for equipments? Some excuse of the failure of himself?

Vladimir79

The goal of the Chinese invasion was not to cripple the Indian Army, but to garner territory and put India in its place. The loss of moral was a far more powerful weapon. The return of items was nothing that was going to augment Indian forces to threaten PLA on the border.

amitkriit

The goal of the Chinese invasion was not to cripple the Indian Army, but to garner territory and put India in its place. The loss of moral was a far more powerful weapon. The return of items was nothing that was going to augment Indian forces to threaten PLA on the border.

Chinese invasion was meant to humiliate India in front of the whole world, rudely speaking "show India their real worth", and elevate China's stature in international circle, at the begining of an important decade from geo-political point of view. 1962 is the reason we will be perceived as No#2 after China, for several decades/centuries to come.

S

salahsiwati

Vladimir79,man ,plz read the book ,you will know all the staff

R

rockdog

Chinese invasion was meant to humiliate India in front of the whole world, rudely speaking "show India their real worth", and elevate China's stature in international circle, at the begining of an important decade from geo-political point of view. 1962 is the reason we will be perceived as No#2 after China, for several decades/centuries to come.
I agree with you partly.

If so, Nehru apparently overestimated India's role on the stage of world.

And with such complex, him wanted to prove himself and India.
And the victories on 1947, and 1961 in Goa gave him the wrong pictures, and underestimate the strength of the much bigger one.

I personally respect him as good scholar, but never a smart leader.

Vladimir79

I still think this is not a fully humiliating, and here comes two messages from Mao:
1. Do not challenge China in Tibet, even we are on the weakest time (59-62)

2. showing a good will after a fighting, we still can be friends (not Bhai Bhai any more), and can co-exist in the camp of developing nations
You didn't post the rest of the stuff PLA actually kept..

Seized: Aircraft 5, tanks 9, car 437, 88mm cannons, 13, 88mm howitzers, 36, 75mm mountain guns 12, 106.7mm mortars 27, 106mm recoilless rifles 6, 81mm mortars 142, 51mm mortars 144, 631 light machine guns, gun length of 5,772 branches, 112 rocket-propelled grenades, grenade launcher (grenade launcher) 32, 4,120,591 issued bullets, artillery shells 79,720 hair, hand grenades 16,921 pieces, 14,848 pieces of mine radio (walkie-talkie) 520, artillery observation instrument and other equipment 735 (a).

PLA only gave back the stuff they couldn't use or was heavily damaged. It was no act of friendship. They were telling India to come pick up their wrecked junk.

R

rockdog

You didn't post the rest of the stuff PLA actually kept..

Seized: Aircraft 5, tanks 9, car 437, 88mm cannons, 13, 88mm howitzers, 36, 75mm mountain guns 12, 106.7mm mortars 27, 106mm recoilless rifles 6, 81mm mortars 142, 51mm mortars 144, 631 light machine guns, gun length of 5,772 branches, 112 rocket-propelled grenades, grenade launcher (grenade launcher) 32, 4,120,591 issued bullets, artillery shells 79,720 hair, hand grenades 16,921 pieces, 14,848 pieces of mine radio (walkie-talkie) 520, artillery observation instrument and other equipment 735 (a).

PLA only gave back the stuff they couldn't use or was heavily damaged. It was no act of friendship. They were telling India to come pick up their wrecked junk.
Thanks for this important info, would you please provide any link and source?

As far as i knew, China kept certainn Plane for copying, and even share it with CCCP. It's a long tradition that China share the things with CCCP to coy together at that time. Like the first AA missile we got from KMT.

Vladimir79

Thanks for this important info, would you please provide any link and source?
It is the same link you provided but didn't post the rest of the text.

As far as i knew, China kept certainn Plane for copying, and even share it with CCCP. It's a long tradition that China share the things with CCCP to coy together at that time. Like the first AA missile we got from KMT.
Sino-Soviet relations weren't exactly cherry during this period. Nobody was shipping us captured planes when PLA was moving troops along our borders.

R

rockdog

It is the same link you provided but didn't post the rest of the text.
Nop, my source is all in Chinese, just translated by english with Google translate.

There are no such hidden part.

Can you read Chinese? If not, please be serious with Data, do not make up. Thank in advance.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
I agree with you partly.

If so, Nehru apparently overestimated India's role on the stage of world.
And with such complex, him wanted to prove himself and India.
And the victories on 1947, and 1961 in Goa gave him the wrong pictures, and underestimate the strength of the much bigger one.
Nehru overestimated India and his military strength, especially after so called " victories " over goa etc.

he was a great man , but was " in the clouds " over india's independence and it gave him an inflated views of its ability.

it landed us in some problems , but already the russians look upon CPC as an organization that ( and i qiuote ) stabs it's friends in the back while they are trying to help "...it's a habit that CPC is finding hard to give up , like a dope addict, albeit of a different kind ?

i do respect him as a leader too - he also gave india his daughter , who incidently , didnt make such mistakes with the CPC.

as the world gets to interact with the CPC, by no means would india or nehru be the only ones to be so treated by their CPC "friends" ( or rather fiends )

Even more recently many African countries complained that the CPC chinese treated them like their former colonial masters.

usa not too happy with CPC keeping apprearances up because of the size of CPC , and little else,

it's still early in the game !!

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Country flag
I personally respect him as good scholar, but never a smart leader.
You're correct. If he (his bloc) had played his cards well, there wouldn't have been a Pakistan. He just wanted to make sure Congress is guaranteed power for a couple of decades, to strengthen itself and monopolize Indian politics (he didn't want Congress to face a strong competitor in Muslim League). That pretty much instigated a similar ambition in Muslim League, and thus 1947 turned out to be the year it was. People who for one flag, now fought for two flags. It was Nehru's arrogance, more than anything, which the Chinese shattered.

Vladimir79

That's the separated statistics, most part are included above.
You left out the most important part, what China kept, to make you look like China was being ambivalent in friendship to India. Nothing is further from the truth.

R

rockdog

You left out the most important part, what China kept, to make you look like China was being ambivalent in friendship to India. Nothing is further from the truth.
I never said China return 100% things to India, It's already a very friendly move.
I almost can't find the second case in the war history, especially comparing CCCP's war...

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
interested to learn more about this

If he (his bloc) had played his cards well, there wouldn't have been a Pakistan. He just wanted to make sure Congress is guaranteed power for a couple of decades, to strengthen itself and monopolize Indian politics (he didn't want Congress to face a strong competitor in Muslim League). That pretty much instigated a similar ambition in Muslim League, and thus 1947 turned out to be the year it was.
interested to learn more about this , as i dont claim to know it all

any sources please ?

thanks in advance.

R

rockdog

You're correct. If he (his bloc) had played his cards well, there wouldn't have been a Pakistan. He just wanted to make sure Congress is guaranteed power for a couple of decades, to strengthen itself and monopolize Indian politics (he didn't want Congress to face a strong competitor in Muslim League). That pretty much instigated a similar ambition in Muslim League, and thus 1947 turned out to be the year it was. People who for one flag, now fought for two flags. It was Nehru's arrogance, more than anything, which the Chinese shattered.
That's why i like Indira Gandhi, she is smart, and skillful in politics, and most important: knew when India should fight and when should stop.

Finally, the bigger power didn't find any chance in 1971, and India gained biggest victory ever.

Vladimir79

I never said China return 100% things to India, It's already a very friendly move.
Telling India to pickup their war junk because you can't get it to work is not a friendly move. Giving them back the 400 some odd autos you captured would be

I almost can't find the second case in the war history, especially comparing CCCP's war...
CCCP didn't give anything back to China when we retook Damansky Island. There was nothing to give back, we demolished the entire area with bombardment

R

rockdog

CCCP didn't give anything back to China when we retook Damansky Island. There was nothing to give back, we demolished the entire area with bombardment[/QUOTE]

?? I think finally Damasky in China's hand at 1991 by the agreement.

I stop here. it's already off topic.

proud_hindustani

Country flag
China’s latest decision to issue stapled visa, not stamped on the passports, to the citizens of Jammu and Kashmir State is looked as the revival of their plank that this State is not an integral part of the Indian Union.
Now you tell who is playing the games here.

The Chinese incursion in Indian territory has led to an almost complete breakdown in relations between China and India. Indians denounce the Chinese for having aggressive, imperialist designs against Indian territory.

India is in better position today than they were during 1962 war. Any misadvennture by your munchurian communist fools will be met with sever response from Indian side. While you are still in the 62 era of boasting self pride around here is harming the chinese image among us Indians. Shows how much you have to look up and while we still stare you down. We Indians are very patriotic today then ever before. Mother's are willing to give up there childrens to save the countries pride. I hope chinese rich boys are ready to make sacrifices. :tank:
saare jahan se acha, hindustan hamara, Jai Hind:icon_salut::india:

Articles