Why did China withdraw from Arunachal in 1962 skirmish?

amoy

On withdrawal from South Tibet I think it was a wise move. Apart from complications like terrain, weather, logistics etc. there must have been a well devised preplan including clearly defined PURPOSES to be pursued in the offensive. Once preset aims were achieved within a given time frame it was natural to pull back as planned.

Obviously the retaliation was not for regaining territories in one go. IMO the war fulfilled its mission 【to curb Indian further adventures】 forward but failed in 【pulling India back to negotiating】 for a permanent border.

Rather than flooding India, in addition to dams for hydropower, it's more practical to divert Yarlung Tsangpo (Brahmaputra) to the arid west like Xinjiang, Gansu... for irrigation and eventually turning Gobi deserts to oasis for ecological sake, and the well being of local communities.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
I don't think India dare to blast Chinese dam in peace time.

I don't want to control the population in India. It is basically not possible. But, we may want to capture your government and destroy your industry and business in that area.
Partial, selective quote of your original post to better comment on only those two points

Firstly Indian would certainly not "blast the Chinese dam" in peace time , no way , my point was that
even in war the govt of India still might not .

But really i am hoping that we will not have a war - the scuffle in 1962 was a huge mistake
and i feel it could really have been avoided.

Secondly we are a wee bit disappointed at the of the second point .... hope our two nations we are heading for peace rather than anything else ( which might inspired by packland ) ? After-all im quite sure that although China is more powerful, India would still at the very least be able to maneuver any potential war scenario into a no-win ( or not-worth it win ) for either side
Many thanks for your comments

Last edited:

Bhadra

Country flag
@CCP

I wish to laugh at your knowledge and awareness particularly terrain awareness astride the borders.

You can not flood Arunachal Pradesh. China can partially flood Himachal, Punjab and partially lower Assam and Bangladesh. Bangladesh would be more in Danger.

The Gates to Delhi open from Afghanistan and not Aksiachin !! So first capture Afghanistan....

Though you can march to Delhi from Lahore also which is your colony by now... However history proves it is not easy !!

T.co seems to be more trained and knowledgeable than you ... ask him..

Last edited by a moderator:

Bhadra

Country flag
On withdrawal from South Tibet I think it was a wise move. Apart from complications like terrain, weather, logistics etc. there must have been a well devised preplan including clearly defined PURPOSES to be pursued in the offensive. Once preset aims were achieved within a given time frame it was natural to pull back as planned.

Obviously the retaliation was not for regaining territories in one go. IMO the war fulfilled its mission 【to curb Indian further adventures】 forward but failed in 【pulling India back to negotiating】 for a permanent border.

Rather than flooding India, in addition to dams for hydropower, it's more practical to divert Yarlung Tsangpo (Brahmaputra) to the arid west like Xinjiang, Gansu... for irrigation and eventually turning Gobi deserts to oasis for ecological sake, and the well being of local communities.

I agree with your war objectives where in China failed to force terms on India and we are stuck on boundary issue due to Chinese stupidity of committing an aggression.

What weird ideas !!

China wishes to divert the water to North western China.

Gobi - neigh impossible !!

CCP

I wish to laugh at your knowledge and awareness particularly terrain awareness astride the borders.

You can not flood Arunachal Pradesh. China can partially flood Himachal, Punjab and partially lower Assam and Bangladesh. Bangladesh would be more in Danger.

1.China is on higher ground , and rivers goes to "Arunachal" are from China controlled side.

2.Yes, Bangladesh would be danger if we build more dams. ( I didn't mention that,since Bangladesh is our friend.)

The Gates to Delhi open from Afghanistan and not Aksiachin !! So first capture Afghanistan....
There is a vast unpopulated area. It is hard for any army to across that area at 500 years ago, but not for now.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Indian Army is operating in those height for some long time now including assaulting and defending during combat, I am sure PLA is trained also but not combat proven in such altitudes ..

When talking about such heights, You contradict your own post, Cruise missile turbofans are not so effective flying in those altitudes, And airstrike is limited from PLAAF side again due to rarity of Air and limited airbases up north compare to IAF`s ..

Out in those heights, The basics works, that is pure Infantry arms and training so does tactics ..

Any Indian forces that push into Aksai Chin would be entering into a death trap. The more mountainous terrain there is over 5500m in elevation, which means altitude sickness would start causing casualties and eventually fatalities without any enemy intervention, and the flatter terrain there has no forest or urban cover, which means any troops not in bunkers or tunnels would be naked to airpower and guided artillery on a scale not seen since Gulf War I and II. A single cruise missile battery or strike squadron anywhere in the western half of Tibet (or Northern third of Pakistan) could completely wreck a ground battalion for free with as little as 10 minutes notice.

The defending forces there would hold enormous advantages in cover, mobility, and the luxury of a prepositioned air-defense network. Any air cover on the attacking side would have to come from aircraft itself, which means the defenders simply have to wage a campaign of air denial while the attackers have to repeatedly put their aircraft in a known position and wait for the defenders to shoot at them.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
False, India got the height in most areas ..

1.China is on higher ground , and rivers goes to "Arunachal" are from China controlled side..
=======================

PLA does not think like you are ..

There is a vast unpopulated area. It is hard for any army to across that area at 500 years ago, but not for now.

CCP

Chinese stupidity of committing an aggression.
There was a well planed attack thanks to stupidity of Nehru and his "forward policy".

We won what we need : decades of peace between China and India.

Country flag
@Bhadra me too want to laugh on his comments
just imagine china fighting with cheap copy of t72, t55, j10a which have several accidents, and all cheap technology like hq9 , never tested missiles , mig21,f7, the outdated navy ,
just can't guess his statement was satire or ignorance

amoy

I agree with your war objectives where in China failed to force terms on India and we are stuck on boundary issue due to Chinese stupidity of committing an aggression.

What weird ideas !!

China wishes to divert the water to North western China.

Gobi - neigh impossible !!
on water part pls refer to the fact that Chini have completed the project (one of 3 routes) to canal water from Yangtze in abundance to the Beijing/Tianjin centred north in shortage, across Yellow River / Huai River etc.. dried-up lakes were revived thanks to it. no lack of engineering experience...

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
I was talking about your ' Army tactical posts ' along the LAC, Last time i went there i could lay my Iron sight over PLA post ..

then rivers in "Arunachal" should not from China controlled side.
=========================

They dont like to get slaughter, They are smarter than you think ..

Why? any idea?

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
on water part pls refer to the fact that Chini have completed the project (one of 3 routes) to canal water from Yangtze in abundance to the Beijing/Tianjin centred north in shortage, across Yellow River / Huai River etc.. dried-up lakes were revived thanks to it. no lack of engineering experience...

China would have lost the war if it stayed so it withdrew. I think Nehru should have been more aggressive and attacked those chinese.

Last edited:

LETHALFORCE

Country flag
@Bhadra @LETHALFORCE @Kunal Biswas @Ray @Voldemort @ITBP @arya @Sam2012

I agree with your reason #1

Your reason #2 doesnt hold much water ( pun intended ) . Depending on the govt in power in India - they can blast
your dam and then the flooding goes to your side !~~

Your reason #3 is historically and logically of no value . China would NEVER want to go into India and control the populations in Delhi and Mumbai. That would have been among the last things they would have wanted. What would have been of value to China was to have their medium range weapons in Tibet threaten the northern cities of India - and that they could have done with the technology they did have in 1962 . Long range artillery would have been one possibility .

Also consider that China had missiles which easily could be deployed in Tibet with ranges easily covering Delhi and other Northern cities of India

So the reason for taking Aksai was not to have a gateway to march into India - hardly .
The whole idea was to add deployable strength to the Gilgit Baltistan region to aid Pakistan - to make the connection with Pakistan for a route to the Indian ocean and to signal to India not to get too tough with Pak otherwise China was in a position to intervene.

It was also to severely check and inhibit any possible ideas by India to expand influence to the Central asian areas.
and to cut any energy supply lines coming from the CAR region into India.

For all those purposes, Aksai was of value and not arunachal . So china put huge resources to defend aksai
and basically didnt bother much about arunachal and used their withdrawal from there as a PR exercise .
One road from china goes into pakistan and one rail line into Tibet near Indian borders
Both of these are not accessible in bad weather. Difficult to have any strategic
Advantage. Missles launched at a capital would get the same reply.

Glint

Country flag
Alright, For the sake of the argument. Hypothetically if there is an aggression from China these could happen.

First:- India wouldn't leave its post, Its pretty obvious. As kunal said
Last time i went there i could lay my Iron sight over PLA post ..

Second:- Heavy artillery fire in which i'm guessing won't matter much in that height. India would be having an upper hand cause they are battle proven by fighting in rigid mountainous areas.

Third:- 1 base in Arunachal pradesh, 1 in Meghalaya, 6 in Assam. Forget about the air dominance, It would be really impressive if PLA could enter the airspace. (8 advanced landing grounds in AP too)

Fourth:- let's not get into the Ballistic missile argument, Both sides have it and i'm not sure if it would do any good on that height.

I could go on but nah, This isn't 1960s anymore, This army has been beaten, learnt from its mistakes, Improved, Proved itself.
I ain't saying China is weak, I'm saying India is good, damn good in this kind of warfare.

In other words, Whichever side sends its first wave. That wave won't survive.
But if by being unbiased.i have to bet on a side, I would put my money on India, hands down.

amoy

entirely echo @Bhadra 's point i.e. no substantial alteration of actual control. nevertheless there was always a silver lining to the cloud

1) an end of further aggression by India, followed by decades of "peace and tranquility"

2) earning an all weather friend. quite a twist for Pakistan from a member of encroaching SEATO to China's buddy.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Alright, For the sake of the argument. Hypothetically if there is an aggression from China these could happen.
Wow ... SIr ( or Mam ) 1st class choice of map and points and i liked it.
Readers can go to the original ( to save space ) .to appreciate your post.
Just to add that i'm sure you'd be the first to say that we wont be complacent about those advantages either.

Articles