Sukhoi Su 30MKI

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Who doesn’t fly with support crews and aerial re-fuelers? You don’t suppose those nice large French aircraft are in those pictures to do dogfighting do you?
That isn't the point of this discussion. We are trying to discover if MKIs are running their engines for long durations to find out if he is lying about the safety restrictions.

Neptune

Country flag
That isn't the point of this discussion. We are trying to discover if MKIs are running their engines for long durations to find out if he is lying about the safety restrictions.

Not saying that some aircraft have not suffered engine issues but I never heard of it any SU-30, SU-35 or SU-27 setting engine restrictions. The Russian have conducted 10’s of thousands of sorties over Syrian deserts, they use SU-30, SU-34s as well as many older platforms. In many instances they scrambled their aircraft. Russia also does have a region with dry desert climate and an airbase there.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
They do run it for long durations. MKI's regularly do 6 hour sorties. No other aircraft in the IAF matches their average time in the air. Not Mirage 2000, not Mig 29. Secondly I don't know where Mitra gets his info. He is not a defence insider and doesn't have good connections or personal relationships with people that can provide him such crucial information. He has written a lot of obnoxious articles which are simply attention grabbers. Even his point about India not investing on the human is false. Indian pilots are just as well trained and exposed to technology as any western pilots. Ground crews are also doing a very good job considering what equipment they're given. Abhijit Iyer Mitra is grasping at straws in his arguments.

What he is good at is in strategic thinking and interpreting the geopolitical situation correctly. But in terms of knowledge of equipment and technicals, he's not someone to listen to.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Did the MKIs that recently flew to France fly without landing in between? They were flying with an Ilyushin full of spare parts.
It's a common practice. I don't know may be they did fly without stoppage

But they do fly non stop from Russia to India and vice-versa . Infact even Mig29 UPG/Mig 35 did that I am not sure about the airbases used.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
If they did fly non-stop then we will know he is full of it.
https://in.ambafrance.org/Indo-French-Air-Exercise-Garuda-VI

The official site says that a French c135 refuelled the Sukhois over the Mediterranean on their way to France for Garuda VI. Considering we already brought refuellers, we would have refuelled them already somewhere over the middle east, and finally your guys refuelled them over the Mediterranean. I think it can be safely said it was one continuous flight.

IndianHawk

Country flag
The Israelis only advertise it at 60km and you would have to launch it at extremely high altitude to get that range. It is not like a French bomb that has rocket assistance.
Regards su30 engine are not limited in flying hours. They are to be posted at andmaan which requires very long flying durations. They do require more frequent maintainance and hence India established engine overhaul in india .

Regarding spice. Where did the 100 km figure came from then ? May be later version ?
Since India has tested domestic glide bombs at longer range than 60km I seriously doubt if spice is only 60km !!

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Regards su30 engine are not limited in flying hours. They are to be posted at andmaan which requires very long flying durations. They do require more frequent maintainance and hence India established engine overhaul in india .

Regarding spice. Where did the 100 km figure came from then ? May be later version ?
Since India has tested domestic glide bombs at longer range than 60km I seriously doubt if spice is only 60km !!
Spice is a family of guidance kit for different war heads.

Spice 250/1000 for 120 kg and 400-500 kg bomb around have 100 km range.

For Spice 2000 with 900- 1000 kg bomb it is 60 km but can be increased using wings.

Neptune

Country flag
What's up with the smoke? Mig29 tha kya? Is this normal?

No the smoke is not normal. It looks like a airshow/ceremony flyover where they either use smoke generators or dump extra fuel. What’s interesting is It’s an entire squadron, very impressive if they are all belong to the same squadron since it demonstrates a high rate of availability. Generally even western Air Force can not muster an entire squadron in the air at once due to maintenance and repairs. It appears the Indians have well established repair depots and enough spare parts to keep a high serviceability rate.

Anathema

Country flag
As they are data linked the Mirages can talk to each other, the Russian aircraft cannot talk to French aircraft and might shoot them down.
In about 6 months - this will no longer be the case. With ODL every a/c will be able to talk to each other. With regards to Su 30 sortie range - its pulled straight from Mitra's behind. I have been seeing reports from my childhood of transatlantic flights from Su's , its nonsense. Su's only criticism perhaps- is lack of armaments to take Amraam C5 ; But then IAF has immense faith in Su 30 - they are integrating SPICE on Su 30 which tells me that they will also be considered for Balakot type missions.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
In about 6 months - this will no longer be the case. With ODL every a/c will be able to talk to each other. With regards to Su 30 sortie range - its pulled straight from Mitra's behind. I have been seeing reports from my childhood of transatlantic flights from Su's , its nonsense. Su's only criticism perhaps- is lack of armaments to take Amraam C5 ; But then IAF has immense faith in Su 30 - they are integrating SPICE on Su 30 which tells me that they will also be considered for Balakot type missions.
I suspect that they also want Sukhois with Spice for deep strikes in Tibet.

Neptune

Country flag
I was reading an article in which Ghafoor claimed that Pakistan repelled the Mirages within 3 minutes of them violating Pakistani airspace.

I had to do the math. The Balakat targets were about 30 miles from the LOC. Mirage 2000’s flew low so they did not go in a strait line from point A to point B but instead flew around mountains and valleys to avoid radar so the actual distance was more then 30 miles but for argument sake let’s say it was only 30 miles. Realistically the Mirages would not break 400 knots (460mph) flying so low but even if they would, it would take 3 minutes and 55 seconds just to reach the targets. 7 minutes and 50 seconds both ways but that is not counting the time to acquire and hit the targets.

If Pakistan’s claim was true the Mirages would have to fly in excess of 1042 knots (1,200mph) while carrying a large payload, which would degrade their airspeed. At that speed it would take 90 seconds to reach Balakat but then another 90 seconds back, but then again, that doesn’t take into account the time taken to hit targets.

This is about as stupid as Pakistani pilots fighting over who shot what imaginary Indian aircraft down. First it was JF-17 that shot Mig-21, then it was JF-17 with painted on kill mark of SU-30, then it was F-16 that shot Mig-21 according to monument, then it was F-16 that shot SU-30 down, but then JF-17 had SU-30 kill mark painted on it even though it was no where near SU-30mki. You point this stupidity out to Pakistanis and they start raging.

:balleballe:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Spice + Sukhoi Done deal

Derby ER also in consideration. May be to get better deal for longer range Russian missiles.
They are considering it as India specific enhancements of the Super 30 upgrade. Once it gets a new reliable set of engines it makes sense.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
They are considering it as India specific enhancements of the Super 30 upgrade. Once it gets a new reliable set of engines it makes sense.
Derby ER has nothing to do with engine here. We were in process of buying longer range a2a missiles but the deal fell through with Ukraine and Russian fallout. Russia offered some off the shelf one. We may have a very small arsenal of those.

Anyway now the problems are cleared out and they are on offer .

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Derby ER has nothing to do with engine here. We were in process of buying longer range a2a missiles but the deal fell through with Ukraine and Russian fallout. Russia offered some off the shelf one. We may have a very small arsenal of those.

Anyway now the problems are cleared out and they are on offer .
There is not going to be any separate integration when they are in the middle of deciding an upgrade configuration. It will be part of the upgrade.

Prashant12

Country flag
IAF OPERATIONALISES AIR-LAUNCHED BRAHMOS CRUISE MISSILE IN MAJOR CAPABILITY MILESTONE

With longer reach and greater destructive potential than any anti-surface air weapon wielded by India, the 450-km range missile increases India's options for stand-off, cross-border targetting

The BrahMos cruise missile strapped on to the reinforced belly of an IAF Su-30MKI fighter
The Indian Air Force (IAF) has inducted and operationalised the air-launched, extended range BrahMos supersonic cruise missile.

With a kill range of 450 km, this is the IAF's most potent air-launched anti-surface weapon, and its induction is a significant capability milestone.

The missile has been mated with select Sukhoi-30MKI fighters. An estimated 42 Su-30MKIs will be modified to wield the airborne BrahMos. The modified Sukhois will have the capability to carry only one BrahMos at a time as part of a weapons configuration which also includes four RVV AE (R-77) air-to-air medium range missiles, two R-73 air-to-air short range missiles and six 250 kg bombs.

The modified Sukhois will have the capability to carry only one BrahMos at a time as part of a weapons configuration which also includes four RVV AE (R-77) air-to-air medium range missiles, two R-73 air-to-air short range missiles and six 250 kg bombs

"A few BrahMos-armed aircraft will be provided to all IAF Su-30MKI squadrons to wield this capability," an informed observer disclosed. Some will also be kept in reserve.

Analysts term the IAF BrahMos capability "phenomenal". This has a longer range and more destructive potential than any other air-to-surface weapon wielded by the IAF so far.

A shot of the weapons configuration of the BrahMos-armed Sukhoi fighter
"The air-launched BrahMos has a strategic role. It is to destroy targets in depth which have strategic value and compromise the war waging capability of an adversary," remarked Air Marshal BK Pandey (Retired), a former Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the IAF's Training Command. The strategic targets in depth could be major military bases, ammunition dumps and vital installations. "With its range, the IAF can launch this weapon from its own airspace," Air Marshal Pandey said, pointing out the enhanced stand-off attack capability against a persistent adversary.

"The air-launched BrahMos has a strategic role. It is to destroy targets in depth which have strategic value and compromise the war waging capability of an adversary," remarked Air Marshal BK Pandey (Retired), a former Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the IAF's Training Command

The availability of this weapon increases India military options for launching surprise precision cross-border attacks from a stand-off range.

This will also beef up India's anti-ship capability in a maritime role, and enable quick reaction against an enemy warship up to 1,400 km from India's coastline.

Its 2.8 Mach supersonic speed and terrain-hugging flight mode also makes it improbable to intercept. "In recently-concluded user trials, this missile has shown itself to be very spectacular, very accurate," a senior IAF officer told SP's Aviation.

India's co-option as a full member of the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) has enabled the increase in the range of the BrahMos from 290 km to 450 km.

http://www.sps-aviation.com/news/?i...-cruise-missile-in-major-capability-milestone

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles