Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whitecollar

Country flag
I don't think it's a balanced recoil system, rather a custom-tuned gas system (plus probably a rubberised recoil buffer added to end of the recoil spring thing) that is optimised for minimum push required for effectively cycling that AK, notice how ;slap; from cycling bolt carrier is so minimal on this,
also that's a (relatively) heavier build of an AK form milled receiver so extra mass of the rifle could be helpful in controlling recoil-muzzle climb etc,
plus there's a big muzzle brake there - also good for controlling recoil,
finally it seems he's using a binary trigger i.e. a trigger that fires when trigger is pulled as well as released, needs some practice to master though,
and of course he's gotten a verticle grip plus his standing stance is wide enough to spread and absorb that recoil etc,
last but not least, he's firing a light recoiling round that 5.56 NATO is, what else to say...
combining it all together with the kind of training these competition shooter goes we get to see this sort of cool show of firing,

however getting such a mumbo jumbo thing for armed forces is quite...far fetched thing due to various reasons
Babaji this one's for you then:

https://youtube.com/shorts/o-ul9lRq2TI?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/Z9oe6amCB_I?feature=share

Modded guns or not...this guy has incredible weapon handling, marksmanship skills and recoil control...

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag

Very Smooth.
oh damn thank you very much man, i had link of this vdo saved but last time (very recently while making an argument on telegram) i opened it fucking youthoob had deleted it due to unknown reasons 😒
this is why i heavily insist on keeping everything saved on your side nowadays, internet is literally going to dogs

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
found this interesting pic on internet,
1644698531949.png

notice that sheet metal reinforcing on top of that INSAS Magazine ?
now say, this is probably a captured and retrieved INSAS plus magazines from probably naxals etc,
but somehow they were able to figure out how to fix a cracked INSAS magazine hhmm... (assuming it was done for those purposes)... quite jugaadu but working...
kinda reminded me of those Lancer Warfighter series of magazines that comes with steel reinforcement plates around feed lips parts on the mags etc...
1644698814572.png

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
It's an OFB 12 bore
Primarily used for Riot control
Used by state police scouts and other Capf scouts during recons ops in thick jungles. Scouts carry these shotguns along with an Ak and during the very first contact scouts use the shotguns before using Aks as these gives more damage and in thick forests contact happens with in 30 mts or so in many cases

THESIS THORON

Country flag
found this interesting pic on internet,
View attachment 137619
notice that sheet metal reinforcing on top of that INSAS Magazine ?
now say, this is probably a captured and retrieved INSAS plus magazines from probably naxals etc,
but somehow they were able to figure out how to fix a cracked INSAS magazine hhmm... (assuming it was done for those purposes)... quite jugaadu but working...
kinda reminded me of those Lancer Warfighter series of magazines that comes with steel reinforcement plates around feed lips parts on the mags etc...
View attachment 137624
how do they get these ?? o_O

JBH22

BSF guys saw corrosion and issues like that in MX-4, and when complained about it to Beretta they wholly shat on ;yur shitty kwality OFB ammo, buy our premium ammo; thing,
but the thing is same ammo was also used in MP-9, MP-5, Sterling, Uzi etc and it never showed these sort of corrosion etc with those guns...so BSF later threatened to put further order on hold and it kinda became a diplomatic thing etc...was also solved using diplomatic means etc...
Also, the design of MX-4 is like those ;dual extractors, one acting as plunger ejector; sort of one, somewhat similar to what is there in ARX-160 in concept, and these pieces are held in place by a clip spring that goes around the slide...so i am also doubtful of its reliabilty in long run...
Finally, it feeds from Beretta 92//M9 pattern magazines, and it wouldn't have made any sense here to get it if we weren't having those pattern firearms and magazines much in service...

It was more or less UPA era deal
No need to be an expert to see that this gun is fit for policing duties in urban areas.
Which is why I'm happy with the AK 203, no chills no thrills but you are sure it is a reliable gun.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Way more interesting is why the Robinson XCR was not selected by the army.

Spoiler Alert : "They failed to deliver proper Blank Firing Adapter"
first generation XCR was also prone to some unique failures, mostly observed by civilians,
like,
- its bolt catch/relese was made of simple cross-fastened metal bar and sometimes it snapped out of place
- bolt design was very much AK-like, with firing pin housed within the bolt but in some conditions it became sticky inside the bolt, causing slamfire and such things
- recoil spring bar that also act as receiver locking tab was kinda sloppy, i mean sometimes during firing it would open up the upper and lower receivers apart due to improper tension (very much similar happening on early FALs, remember ? when launching rifle grenades that receiver locking lever would get operated by recoiling forces and separates uppers and lowers apart etc...they had to change its design in later variants)
and so,

perhaps Robinson wasn't able to secure much investments for this project so he had to make do with things and likewise couldn't provide blank firing adapter on time,
but later Robinson designs are quite good 'multi-calibre'ish rifles, 'specially their XCR-M in 7.62 NATO is famous in Canada (where AR were banned etc), in later designs they redesigned bolt + bolt carrier, bolt catch/release and increased recoil spring tension etc - effectively mitigating most of mentioned issues

Lonewarrior

Country flag
first generation XCR was also prone to some unique failures, mostly observed by civilians,
like,
- its bolt catch/relese was made of simple cross-fastened metal bar and sometimes it snapped out of place
- bolt design was very much AK-like, with firing pin housed within the bolt but in some conditions it became sticky inside the bolt, causing slamfire and such things
- recoil spring bar that also act as receiver locking tab was kinda sloppy, i mean sometimes during firing it would open up the upper and lower receivers apart due to improper tension (very much similar happening on early FALs, remember ? when launching rifle grenades that receiver locking lever would get operated by recoiling forces and separates uppers and lowers apart etc...they had to change its design in later variants)
and so,

perhaps Robinson wasn't able to secure much investments for this project so he had to make do with things and likewise couldn't provide blank firing adapter on time,
but later Robinson designs are quite good 'multi-calibre'ish rifles, 'specially their XCR-M in 7.62 NATO is famous in Canada (where AR were banned etc), in later designs they redesigned bolt + bolt carrier, bolt catch/release and increased recoil spring tension etc - effectively mitigating most of mentioned issues
And perhaps more interestingly, almost
all issues were (and even are) attributed to Alex Robinson's 0 Fs given attitude towards his own product.

Anyways; IMHO XCR is bit better than a SCAR. Especially considering the respective prices.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles