Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Like chinese have 5.8 mm , rosskies have 5.45 mm but we chose 5.56 mm , even though drdo developed a 6.8 mm ammo

shiphone

Country flag
Like chinese have 5.8 mm , rosskies have 5.45 mm but we chose 5.56 mm , even though drdo developed a 6.8 mm ammo
your OFB 5.56mm cartridge might be some kind of unique one ...try some dig.

the earlier OBF site pages were very informative, but later one was much inferior...but all have gone now.

Last edited:

Lonewarrior

Country flag
This question requires a huge a** answer, anyways

- we are extremely bad at R&D. We think doing research is a waste of time and resources. Almost all of our small arms is more or less a copy of another design.

- almost everyone, who's bit late in cartridge development tries not to engage in developing. It's a very complicated and risky process to develope ammunition.
For example, in the ongoing NGSW program everyone is expending huge funds in developing ammo. But ultimately only one will be selected.

- we can't just shove a 6.8x43mm ammo down army's throat just because it's indigenous. We tried the same with Klashnikovs, and see the result.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
your OFB 5.56mm cartridge might be some kind of unique one ...try some dig.

the earlier OBF site pages were very informative, but later one was much inferior...but all have gone now.
Not really. Indian 5.56 mm ammo is based on an overgassed SS109.

Indian Army has now adopted the Negev NG-7 as an LMG/ SAW. Since these are license manufactured by PLR Systems (Adani Group) in combination with IWI, these are the new standard issue.

India has now moved to a shoot to kill mentality, reverting to 7.62x51mm ammo using modernized AR-10 (Sig 716i).

This is because PLA and PA troops in a near conflict will have LVL IIIB / IV armor plates which at 500-800 m will be difficult to penetrate with 5.56x45 mm.

CQB can be resolved with AK variants (FAB modernized Romanian, East German, Hungarian AKs, SSS modernized AK variants, AK 203) and controlled bursts of 7.62x51 mm.

Sidearms are Browning Hi Power and possibly in the future Masadas.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Not really. Indian 5.56 mm ammo is based on an overgassed SS109.

Indian Army has now adopted the Negev NG-7 as an LMG/ SAW. Since these are license manufactured by PLR Systems (Adani Group) in combination with IWI, these are the new standard issue.

India has now moved to a shoot to kill mentality, reverting to 7.62x51mm ammo using modernized AR-10 (Sig 716i).

This is because PLA and PA troops in a near conflict will have LVL IIIB / IV armor plates which at 500-800 m will be difficult to penetrate with 5.56x45 mm.

CQB can be resolved with AK variants (FAB modernized Romanian, East German, Hungarian AKs, SSS modernized AK variants, AK 203) and controlled bursts of 7.62x51 mm.

Sidearms are Browning Hi Power and possibly in the future Masadas.
PLR as of now isn’t manufacturing Negevs unless they get any orders for it.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Really lvl 3 is hmmm ok but 4 armour plate at that heights sorry to break your bubble not even sf guys would prefer that at that lvl they don't even consider lvl4 in kashmir agility and mobility is more imp had my father come from high altitude running 100 m seems to be very tiring on the body can't breathe properly he stated ak203 always aane wali hai meri taraf se nahi insas hai wahi rahegi until major conflict and loss .
LVL 4 for emplacement units that are acclimatised is a possibility. At that rarified atmosphere, your bullets will have lower air resistance and thus better penetration.

AK 203 / AK variants modernized is the non Sig 716i arm of Indian Army.

INSAS is for Cantonment patrols and peacetime scare crow duty.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Really lvl 3 is hmmm ok but 4 armour plate at that heights sorry to break your bubble not even sf guys would prefer that at that lvl they don't even consider lvl4 in kashmir agility and mobility is more imp had my father come from high altitude running 100 m seems to be very tiring on the body can't breathe properly he stated ak203 always aane wali hai meri taraf se nahi insas hai wahi rahegi until major conflict and loss .
LVL 4 for emplacement units that are acclimatised is a possibility. At that rarified atmosphere, your bullets will have lower air resistance and thus better penetration.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag

At that atmosphere bullet ballistics are gonna go haywhere.mountain sniping is taken different by the americans for that reason and 7.62x39 by no way is gonna be long distance round or most cases the PLA body armour will be able to stop it

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Other than para sf bro I don't think any other infantry no matter how much acclimatised will do the job just saying what heard from those who had been posted every infantrymen in unit has his own collected rugsack of rasin , almond , kaju etc all are authorised no one eats as gastric is common problem when you eat these there . Ak203 donno when it will be induced har dum hone wala hai wear a lvl 4 with trauma pads at that altitude it along with all your gear you will be struggling for air.

Peace time scare crow duty , wow haha

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
So in January this gentleman was having a bit of a trouble identifying MP5

1636622691793.png

And now here we are...
This is the condition of these so called defence companies, this company is an investor in UP Defence Corridor, calls COMTACs as side armour.
1636622651135.png

AlphaRaiderZ

Country flag
This is the condition of these so called defence companies, this company is an investor in UP Defence Corridor, calls COMTACs as side armour.
View attachment 118770
Thank you , even bleach is not enough to purify my eyes . Also how dont they know about mp5 ? Even kids playing free fire and pubg know about Mp5 . The gun has been in service with nearly every single military or law enforcement unit that has existed . Like it might be the most used 9 parabellum chambered automated weapon that has ever existed

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Thank you , even bleach is not enough to purify my eyes . Also how dont they know about mp5 ? Even kids playing free fire and pubg know about Mp5 . The gun has been in service with nearly every single military or law enforcement unit that has existed . Like it might be the most used 9 parabellum chambered automated weapon that has ever existed
When I hear about mp5 the thing that comes to mind

IMG_20211115_114458.jpg

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles